Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What book(s) are you currently reading?

Tried to read The Satanic Verses. I can't understand a word of it. Probably not for me.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 3 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Vera, Kim, Antipholus

(07-11-2022, 10:00 AM)adey67 Wrote: And the band played on by Randy Shilts

Well worth a read and free to read at the link below

https://onlinereadfreenovel.com/randy-sh...yed_on.amp

I saw the movie when I was much younger and back then it was one of the movies that had affected me the most in my life.

Came away hating Reagan like I'd never hated anyone in my life (sadly, I've since come to hate others even more, above all that genocidal Russian dwarf, may he die the most painful death possible.)

Me, being short on time (stupid books to translate, photos to take and edit, bikings to bike, origamis to fold and of course, cats!), after the violent stupidity of the books I translate, I cleanse my mental palate by rereading the brilliant stories of Greg Egan before going to sleep. Am also reading something called John Dies at the End because I read a short story that was compared to it. It's different from my usual fare but so far it's holding my (sporadic, due to time constraints) interest.

Also, trying to get started on Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently and Cockroaches: "a memoir by Scholastique Mukasonga, it discusses the author's personal experiences with the Hutu-Tutsi conflict, which culminated in the 1994 Rwandan genocide. Mukasonga referred to it as a "paper grave" to reflect how she escaped the situation and in memorial for her deceased relatives. The title "Cockroaches" was an insult against Tutsis uttered during the conflict."

@GenesisNemesis I think I tried Rushdie some time ago but decided it wasn't for me either. Magical realism isn't my thing, esp. if it has anything to do with religion. It just doesn't interest me. Plus, in my not-that-young-age I;ve discovered that I'm mostly interested in ideas... which is why I'm pretty much sticking to hard science fiction at the moment, with the occasional exception here and there...
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 3 users Like Vera's post:
  • adey67, GenesisNemesis, Kim

I don't know what I'm reading, the spine was turned to the wall.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Cavebear

(09-05-2022, 11:34 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I don't know what I'm reading, the spine was turned to the wall.

Loved that in 2 ways. First, of course the spine is turned away while you read a book. But second, that I read somewhere of a person who kept their spines backwards so she wouldn't know what book she was going to read next.

Personally, I prefer knowing, as I have moods.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

Done a few recently:

LOTR: Two Towers [Done Hobbit + Fellowship previously]
Call of Cthulu and other Weird Stories
Of Mice and Men
The Man Who Fell to Earth
[and in non-fiction] "Jews Don't Count" by David Baddiel [which is a book looking into Anti-semitism being seen as like a "second class" racism or other -ism, Vs pretty much all other forms of discrimination.]

Currently on "LOTR: Return of The King" Smile
The following 1 user Likes OakTree500's post:
  • Szuchow

Finished Return of The King and probably done with LOTR as a whole now [not sure if I'll do Silmarillion].

Just finished: The Old Man And The Sea by Earnest Hemingway

Now onto: Ecstasy by Irvine Welsh

Selections. How school destroys humans, society and world by Mikołaj Marcela.
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.

Dying of Whiteness: How the Politics of Racial Resentment Is Killing America's Heartland by Jonathan M. Metz.
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.

http://pernhome.com/pern/books/chronological-order/

Currently reading Dragon's Kin. Gonna slow march through the whole collection.

The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman. Apparently a New York Times Bestseller and, looks as if it may be the beginning of a "series" ...? Maybe, we'll find out.

So far, it seems a bit overly chatty & uses quick, current references that seem slightly misplaced in it's "retirement facility" location. Maybe the author is counting on a fanbase of Golden-Girls-hipsters to keep reading. Note: I've only barely cracked the book - beginning the 3rd chapter. Dodgy Hopefully, there will be more.

"Terminal Uprising," book two of the Janitors of the Post Apocalypse by Jim C. Hines. Comic space opera done very well. As much as I love Star Trek, I also love these types of books that take all the Star Trek tropes and turn them inside out is strange, wonderful, hilarious ways.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]

I just started off To Kill A Mockingbird. Not sure yet. I do find it pretty descriptive of person and place.
Is this sig thing on?
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • Kim

(11-02-2022, 04:24 AM)c172 Wrote: I just started off To Kill A Mockingbird. Not sure yet. I do find it pretty descriptive of person and place.

I actually forced an adult friend to read it - I periodically quizzed him throughout the week it took him. During & afterword, we discussed it. He later told me, it started him on his journey through 20th century American classics. Shy

Weirdly, he's my age & he'd never read it AND ... he never even saw the film with Gregory Peck!
Confused How did that even happen?!

(11-02-2022, 04:09 PM)Kim Wrote:
(11-02-2022, 04:24 AM)c172 Wrote: I just started off To Kill A Mockingbird. Not sure yet. I do find it pretty descriptive of person and place.

I actually forced an adult friend to read it - I periodically quizzed him throughout the week it took him.  During & afterword, we discussed it.  He later told me, it started him on his journey through 20th century American classics.    Shy

Weirdly, he's my age & he'd never read it AND ... he never even saw the film with Gregory Peck!  
Confused   How did that even happen?!

I didn't read Mockingbird until I was well into my 40s and have still never seen any film adaptations. It wasn't the one that started my classics bucket list, but it was certainly a must read on that list once I got going. There are still many, many, many more classic title to finish before I go. Not just American, and not just 20th century. On that list is one I read just a few days ago. "Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov. I now understand why it's been banned in so many places at so many times, not that I agree with banning any book, ever. As a father to a daughter and a non-binary who is biologically female, I had a hard time reading it and in places wanted to do gross bodily harm, in turns, to the protagonist and the author.

Currently reading "Terminal Peace," the third (final?) installment of the Janitors of the Post Apocalypse by Jim C. Hines. These were good enough that I had to read them back-to-back-to-back.

On deck, in no particular order:
Re-reads of the final few books of several series, to prep for the latest additions, of... the October Day series by Seanan McGuire, the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn (RIP Vince) and Kyle Mills, The Chronicles of St. Mary's by Jodi Taylor, and a couple others. "Great Expectations" has been climbing the short list recently, so that one will likely get done in the not too distant future.

All subject to change based on available time, mood, desire, alignment of the stars, unseasonably warm autumn days and the reader's whim.  Smile
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Kim

I had been getting into Dharma Bums, by Kerouac, but misplaced it a few days ago, and I was only half way through. I think I may start over soon with Catcher in the Rye. I'm obviously a bit judgmental of Holden. But first, more of Mockingbird.

One author I've never read is Vonnegut. Do folks here like him? Hate him?
Is this sig thing on?
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • Kim

Dragon's Kin, by Anne and Todd McCaffrey. PERN novel, fourth chronologically for the colony on a planet circling Rukbat.

(11-03-2022, 03:36 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: "Great Expectations" has been climbing the short list recently...

Read this one the other day, and it was soooo not what I was expecting based on my brief glimpses and short attention span in my high school English classes. Having read this one and "A Tale of Two Cities," I now find Dickens' work much more approachable.

Currently finishing a re-read of the third book in the Reckoners series by Brandon Sanderson so I take up the tale in the latest addition with fresh memories of how the story played out.

Slow marching through PERN books. #7 right now, Dragonheart. I was worried that Todd couldn't handle the load but he's been okay so far.

House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds, Broca's Brain by Carl Sagan, Skeptics' Guide to the Universe audiobook.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

Finished the five Fleet of Worlds book, now on to the five Juggler of Worlds novels. All by Larry Niven, naturally.

Welcome to Heaven. About Converted Criminals by Jacek Leociak.

I know that christian morality is an oxymoron but but for Lenin sake, members of international pedophile ring could at least pretend to be something else than walking sacks of shit. Cults dedicated to murderers are perfect showing of christianity degeneracy.

Mikhail Bakunin.

I'm supposed to be reading Ursula K. Le Guin's Left Hand Of Darkness. Preferring restful silences instead. Maybe I'll have to schedule reading time.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

I'm part way through all 27(?) PERN novels and collections. Todd was well trained by Anne.

[Image: 51up5nGjfyL.jpg]

[Image: 511FQvrW+fL.jpg]

[Image: 51OgbwpJPlL._SL500_.jpg]
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

[Image: 41+LVethksL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • Bucky Ball