Atheist Discussion
What book(s) are you currently reading? - Printable Version

+- Atheist Discussion (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=89)
+--- Forum: Movies, Television, Art and Literature (https://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=103)
+--- Thread: What book(s) are you currently reading? (/showthread.php?tid=1356)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

What book(s) are you currently reading? - Szuchow - 10-01-2018

Every forum should have thread like this so here's one.

Now I'm reading Ahead is the Night - the Fates of Jews in Selected Districts of Occupied Poland edited by Barbara Engelking.

Re: What book(s) are you currently reading? - Vivian Darkbloom - 10-01-2018

I remember from your TTA thread that you read at a tremdous pace. Much respect.

I think you read more nonfiction, but I sure would like it if you could recommend some favorites, fiction or non-, on the thread I just started.

I'm between books just now. Just finished A High Wind in Jamaica by Richard Hughesand am thinking of starting The Door by Magda Szabo. Or something by Bohumil Hrabal.

Re: What book(s) are you currently reading? - Szuchow - 10-01-2018

Sadly I didn't copied my recommended book list from TTA but I try to write something today. I think that you will find some books to your liking there.

Re: What book(s) are you currently reading? - Vivian Darkbloom - 10-01-2018

:thumbs_up:

Re: What book(s) are you currently reading? - RobbyPants - 10-01-2018

After putting it down several times, I've picked up The Gunslinger again.

I also grabbed some graphic novels from the library last weekend, and I'm working on a Batman one that's leading into Batman Inc.

Re: What book(s) are you currently reading? - Smercury44 - 10-01-2018

(10-01-2018, 06:08 PM)RobbyPants link Wrote: After putting it down several times, I've picked up The Gunslinger again.

I also grabbed some graphic novels from the library last weekend, and I'm working on a Batman one that's leading into Batman Inc.

I really enjoyed The Dark Tower series

Re: What book(s) are you currently reading? - Gawdzilla Sama - 10-01-2018

The Renegades of Pern by Anne McCaffrey (in the office.)
The Chronicles of the Lensmen, Vol. 1 by E.E. "Doc" Smith (in the loo.)
The Protector, by Larry Niven (in my traveling bag.)

Re: What book(s) are you currently reading? - Yonadav - 10-02-2018

Coincidences! I am currently reading Triplanetary and the rest of the Lensmen stories.

Re: What book(s) are you currently reading? - Gawdzilla Sama - 10-02-2018

(10-02-2018, 12:28 AM)Yonadav link Wrote: Coincidences! I am currently reading Triplanetary and the rest of the Lensmen stories.
Cool. I first read them in 1967(?) when they were reissued in paperback. I didn't check the publication dates and was a bit confused by the Buck Rogers vibe. Now I read them with an offscreen announcer doing the voice over.  :fighting0029:

Re: What book(s) are you currently reading? - RobbyPants - 10-02-2018

(10-01-2018, 11:07 PM)Smercury44 link Wrote: I really enjoyed The Dark Tower series

I picked it up and set it down so many times, as things got in the way. I read other books in between. The movie came out (which I haven't seen yet; I want to finish the book), and it still just sat in my night stand. So, I made a point to bring it with me when we moved to Canada.

So, I take it the other books are worth reading, too?

Re: What book(s) are you currently reading? - julep - 10-02-2018

Michael Lewis, The Fifth Risk.
P.J. O'Rourke, None of My Business.
Also Little Women

(10-02-2018, 10:22 PM)Julep link Wrote: Also Little Women.
Read that in  the fifth grade. Had to look up "frock".  Confusedign0065:

Re: What book(s) are you currently reading? - julep - 10-02-2018

I've never read it before.  When I was a kid I was reading Tolkien and books about insects and animals and of course The Holy Bible.  I liked books about New England, but mostly looked for ones with some kind of fantasy element.  I recently read a book about Alcott and Little Women and thought I might as well catch up. 

Re: What book(s) are you currently reading? - Smercury44 - 10-02-2018

(10-02-2018, 01:34 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 11:07 PM)Smercury44 link Wrote: I really enjoyed The Dark Tower series

I picked it up and set it down so many times, as things got in the way. I read other books in between. The movie came out (which I haven't seen yet; I want to finish the book), and it still just sat in my night stand. So, I made a point to bring it with me when we moved to Canada.

So, I take it the other books are worth reading, too?

Don’t bother with the movie if you aren’t excited about that. It was supposed to be three movies that got cut to one, and - I know everyone says this about every book turned movie - it is WAY off book. They basically had characters of the same name as the books and a tower. Even taking the books out of consideration, it was kind of a crappy movie on its own merits.

If this book finally manages to grab you, I’d highly suggest reading the series. But it just may not grab you.

(10-02-2018, 11:24 PM)Julep link Wrote: I've never read it before.  When I was a kid I was reading Tolkien and books about insects and animals and of course The Holy Bible.  I liked books about New England, but mostly looked for ones with some kind of fantasy element.  I recently read a book about Alcott and Little Women and thought I might as well catch up.
It's a good read. Little Men as a follow-on.

Re: What book(s) are you currently reading? - julep - 10-03-2018

Little Men is included in my library edition.  (also Jo's Boys).  I'll probably have to renew it at my library to get it read before I have to pay fines.

I'm frequently in Concord, MA.  Of course it's a beautifully preserved town, and it does make you feel a little weird, at least for a few minutes. 

Re: What book(s) are you currently reading? - Gawdzilla Sama - 10-03-2018

(10-03-2018, 12:58 AM)Julep link Wrote: Little Men is included in my library edition.  (also Jo's Boys).  I'll probably have to renew it at my library to get it read before I have to pay fines.

I'm frequently in Concord, MA.  Of course it's a beautifully preserved town, and it does make you feel a little weird, at least for a few minutes.
I think they filmed the movie there.

Re: What book(s) are you currently reading? - Tartarus Sauce - 10-03-2018

(10-03-2018, 12:58 AM)Julep link Wrote: Little Men is included in my library edition.  (also Jo's Boys).  I'll probably have to renew it at my library to get it read before I have to pay fines.

How many freakin' users do we have in Massachusetts? You, me, Chas, houseofcantor. Anybody else?

Re: What book(s) are you currently reading? - SYZ - 10-03-2018

I'm now primarily a reader of crime and mystery fiction.

Some of the authors I read:  David Baldacci, Harlan Coben, Kathy Reichs, Lee Child, Michael Connelly, Robert Crais etc.
I read mainly to "escape" the reality or drudgery of my own everyday life.

Many moons ago, I went through a period of reading French authors:  Honoré de Balzac, Victor Hugo, Guy de Maupassant, Émile Zola, Jean-Paul Sartre, Jules Verne etc.

After that period it was science fiction:  J. G. Ballard, Ray Bradbury, Theodore Sturgeon, Isaac Asimov, Philip K. Dick, Frederik Pohl etc.

It seems the changes in my reading tastes were loosely dependent on my age.  Dunno?  Would make an interesting survey... or not LOL.

Re: What book(s) are you currently reading? - Szuchow - 10-03-2018

"Era of Silence. Pre-war Poland of which we don't speak" by Kamil Janicki. I knew that II RP wasn't paradise, despite nationalists blandishment but never would I thought that this was such shithole. One week in prison for rape? Stalinist judicary was more fair.

Re: What book(s) are you currently reading? - Yonadav - 10-03-2018

Has anyone read Nomadland by Jessica Bruder?  I am trying to decide whether to buy it or not.  I am starting to have misgivings about buying this sort of book because I have become cynical about upper middle class academics cashing in by writing about American poverty. 

Re: What book(s) are you currently reading? - Maffis - 10-05-2018

Currently in the middle of the audiobook versions of Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett (my first Discworld book) and The Golden Compass. Read most of it as a kid, finally getting back to it.

Re: What book(s) are you currently reading? - Boss Lady - 10-05-2018

The Vampire Archives: The Most Complete Volume of Vampire Tales Ever Published by Otto Penzler (Editor), Neil Gaiman (Preface), Kim Newman (Foreword)

Lawless and the Devil of Euston Square by William Sutton (Author)

Confessions of the Fox by Jordy Rosenberg, although this one has me bogged down a bit. There are a lot of footnotes.  Many of them are typical footnotes, explaining the meaning of a word or a bit of history. However, the footnotes also hold a second story line. Typically, this isn't a problem, but for some reason, this time, I'm finding it irritating.

Re: What book(s) are you currently reading? - Gawdzilla Sama - 10-05-2018

I didn't know you liked to read.  Panic

(How many bookcases do we have now?)  (I can't count that high with my shoes on.)

Re: What book(s) are you currently reading? - Boss Lady - 10-05-2018

(10-05-2018, 10:47 AM)Gawdzilla Sama link Wrote: I didn't know you liked to read.  Panic

(How many bookcases do we have now?)  (I can't count that high with my shoes on.)
Sixteen at last count. However, we still have a bit of empty wall space.  plotting