Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)

(05-16-2020, 04:04 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: So thousands of medical people are working themselves into exhaustion just to put on a big conspiracy show?  And all the video of people sick in the hospital with ventalators are paid actors acting in a conspiracy program?  The morticians are paid to say they can't keep up with the deaths and the photos of unburied coffins are all fake.  The truck drivers who have driven ice trucks in NYC to keep the overflow of dead people are also paid?

People crying over their loved ones who have died from the virus are paid to do so?   

The Italian photo of an ice rink being used as a temporary morgue is fake so the Italian are in on the conspiracy too?  Boris Johnson was faking it when he was sick so the British are also in on the conspiracy?  The Spanish, the French, the Germans...all in on the conspiracy. 

I despise conspiracy brained idiots.  It's insidious. It's almost worse than the virus itself.  It's another version of sticking their heads in the sand so they don't have to deal with reality.

As long as so many Republicans value dogmas over facts, various conspiracies will be their go-to rationalizations for why realities don't conform with their expectations. 

The question then becomes, "How many reductio ad absurdums will it take for the cognitive dissonance to be too much even for them?"
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • Dancefortwo

Quote:I despise conspiracy brained idiots.

But Trumpolini loves their sorry asses.  The ignorant are in collusion with the super rich to fuck this country up but good.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Dancefortwo

Quote:State representative Leslie Love (D-Detroit) is flabbergasted over Whitmer’s order to send coronavirus patients into nursing homes, which has resulted in an untold number of unnecessary deaths by putting the most vulnerable population at needless risk.

https://bigleaguepolitics.com/michigan-d...ing-homes/

Quote:Despite that, Fauci ignored the cheap generic and ploughed $70 million of taxpayer money into trials for RDV, the WHO committed to trialling it too, and for good measure the Wuhan Institute of Virology quietly lodged a patent application covering China for RDV on January 21, before it released the results of its secret trials.

...Why would Fauci do this? Who knows, but it would have been warmly supported by many on the panel that decides which Covid-19 treatments to approve and which just happens to have nine members who disclosed financial ties to GILD and many others with ties they failed to disclose or which don’t require disclosure. There are also no shortage of medical and scientific experts lining up to promote RDV and which just happen to have received financial benefits from GILD....

https://www.spectator.com.au/2020/05/dr-...ical-deal/

(05-15-2020, 09:56 PM)Rainy_D Wrote: Bright was not fired, he was re-assigned to a brand new position well within his government experience qualifications.

LOL... dream on mate. Bright was fired because he didn't toe Trump's line on using hydroxychloroquine.

I had to laugh at Trump's response" "I don't know the so-called whistle-blower Rick Bright, never met him
or even heard of him," he said. "But to me he is a disgruntled employee, not liked or respected by people
I spoke to and who, with his attitude, should no longer be working for our government!"

The tanned buffoon has to be the most simple of men on the planet.     Facepalm
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 7 users Like SYZ's post:
  • M.Linoge, Fireball, abaris, skyking, LastPoet, Dancefortwo, Paleophyte

Ya know viruses, mutating untill the right strain affects humans to make it political, 5G, vaxxes ectcetera. The SARS-Cov-19 is surely a leftwing produced lie, amplified by the 5G network (lel) to undermine trump and his exemplary work governing the US.

I know I don't have a vote in the matter, since I am not a US citizen, but dayum, this one makes Bush an exemplar President.

Our prez, despite all his likes to take selfies with us folks ordered the lockdown and he spoke in a manner we could understand, I mean, he didn't use "Caralho", but he was pretty clear.
The following 2 users Like LastPoet's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Fireball

(05-16-2020, 08:05 PM)LastPoet Wrote: Ya know viruses, mutating untill the right strain affects humans to make it political, 5G, vaxxes ectcetera. The SARS-Cov-19 is surely a leftwing produced lie, amplified by the 5G network (lel) to undermine trump and his exemplary work governing the US.

I know I don't have a vote in the matter, since I am not a US citizen, but dayum, this one makes Bush an exemplar President.

Our prez, despite all his likes to take selfies with us folks ordered the lockdown and he spoke in a manner we could understand, I mean, he didn't use "Caralho", but he was pretty clear.

Can we trade presidents?  I'll throw in Melania too.   You can have two for the price of one.  Pleeeeeeease. Sadcryface
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Alan V, Fireball

(05-16-2020, 06:06 PM)SYZ Wrote:
(05-15-2020, 09:56 PM)Rainy_D Wrote: Bright was not fired, he was re-assigned to a brand new position well within his government experience qualifications.

LOL... dream on mate.  Bright was fired because he didn't toe Trump's line on using hydroxychloroquine.

I had to laugh at Trump's response"  "I don't know the so-called whistle-blower Rick Bright, never met him
or even heard of him," he said. "But to me he is a disgruntled employee, not liked or respected by people
I spoke to and who, with his attitude, should no longer be working for our government!"

The tanned buffoon has to be the most simple of men on the planet.     Facepalm

I'm pretty sure MangoHead has trouble reading.  He's probably dyslexic but won't admit to it.  My husband, the teacher, thinks he's on the verge of being functionally illiterate. He has never had to read anything because he thinks he's so smart that he doesn't need to read anything.  He doesn't read the daily briefings, it's too complex.   One of his professors in college told a fellow professor that MangoHead was the dumbest student he ever had in his class.

Quote:It’s rare for a professor to disparage the intelligence of a student, but according to attorney Frank DiPrima, who was close friends with professor William T. Kelley for 47 years, the prof made an exception for Donald Trump, at least in private. “He must have told me that 100 times over the course of 30 years,” says DiPrima, who has been practicing law since 1963 and has served as in-house counsel for entities including the Federal Trade Commission and Playboy Enterprises. “I remember the inflection of his voice when he said it: ‘Donald Trump was the dumbest goddamn student I ever had!’” He would say that [Trump] came to Wharton thinking he already knew everything, that he was arrogant and he wasn’t there to learn.” Kelley, who passed away in 2011 at age 94, taught marketing at Wharton for 31 years, retiring in 1982.

And this is the stupid, ignorant moron who is the POTUS so it's not suprisng the virus is killing thousands of people.
                                                         T4618
The following 3 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Alan V, Minimalist, SYZ

But at least he's finally 'winning' at something.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Quote:United States
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

He's WINNING - Bigly!
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Dancefortwo

(05-17-2020, 02:53 AM)Minimalist Wrote: But at least he's finally 'winning' at something.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Quote:United States
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

He's WINNING - Bigly!

His bungling mismanagement of this crisis has killed thousands but he's doesn't give two shits about it.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Absolutely right.  He is a sociopath in the Ted Bundy mode.
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Thumpalumpacus

PBS Nova aired an episode on coronavirus and Covid-19 on the 13th. It's available for streaming at their website.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, brewerb

(05-16-2020, 04:14 PM)Rainy_D Wrote:
Quote:Despite that, Fauci ignored the cheap generic and ploughed $70 million of taxpayer money into trials for RDV, the WHO committed to trialling it too, and for good measure the Wuhan Institute of Virology quietly lodged a patent application covering China for RDV on January 21, before it released the results of its secret trials.

...Why would Fauci do this? Who knows, but it would have been warmly supported by many on the panel that decides which Covid-19 treatments to approve and which just happens to have nine members who disclosed financial ties to GILD and many others with ties they failed to disclose or which don’t require disclosure. There are also no shortage of medical and scientific experts lining up to promote RDV and which just happen to have received financial benefits from GILD....

The U.S. was never offered the WHO test, nor did they request it.
It wasn't Fauci's decision to make.  Facepalm You get more ignorant and moronic every day.
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 4 users Like Chas's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard, Dancefortwo, M.Linoge, SYZ

(05-17-2020, 05:36 AM)Chas Wrote:

It wasn't Fauci's decision to make.  Facepalm  You get more ignorant and moronic every day.

Nah. He just exposes more of his infinite ignorance every day.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]

Quote:Authorities in that state had faced criticism this week for classifying as a COVID-19 death a man whose blood-alcohol content registered an astronomical .55.

With the new system in place, confirmed coronavirus deaths in Colorado plummeted from 1150 to 878, a drop of almost 25%.

https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/...d-covid-19

Show ContentSpoiler:

Don't like Just the News?

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/05/15/co...atalities/

(05-17-2020, 05:36 AM)Chas Wrote:

It wasn't Fauci's decision to make.  Facepalm  You get more ignorant and moronic every day.

If you weren't so OLD and senile, I would call you out on the FACT* the article does not talk about the WHO testing.  It is talking about Drug TREATMENTs.

*says nothing about the idiots who liked your stupid comment.

Sweden’s Covid-19 strategy has caused an ‘amplification of the epidemic’

Quote:Statistics suggest that Sweden has performed poorly compared to its Scandinavian neighbours, which imposed strict lockdowns. Experts say the other Nordic countries are the most apt points of comparison, given their similar healthcare systems, socio-political cultures and levels of connectedness.

Quote:In response to a comment in late April hailing Sweden’s performance, Nicolas Nassim Taleb – a professor of risk engineering at New York University, famous for his book on probability and uncertainty The Black Swan – tweeted back: “Stop the bullshit. Sweden did HORRIBLE [sic] compared to Norway Denmark Finland.”

(05-17-2020, 02:34 PM)Rainy_D Wrote:
Quote:Authorities in that state had faced criticism this week for classifying as a COVID-19 death a man whose blood-alcohol content registered an astronomical .55.

With the new system in place, confirmed coronavirus deaths in Colorado plummeted from 1150 to 878, a drop of almost 25%.

https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/...d-covid-19

Show ContentSpoiler:

Don't like Just the News?

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/05/15/co...atalities/

And this is significant because.............
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

Guess who's hiding information about the pandemic here in America ...

Quote:Coronavirus infection rates are spiking to new highs in several metropolitan areas and smaller communities across the country, according to undisclosed data the White House's pandemic task force is using to track rates of infection, which was obtained by NBC News.

The data in a May 7 coronavirus task force report are at odds with President Donald Trump's declaration Monday that "all throughout the country, the numbers are coming down rapidly."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-h...s-n1204751

Quote:Top White House officials suppressed guidelines from public health experts on reopening the economy for weeks, and only ordered the approval of parts of that guidance after media reports exposed the delay, according to a report from the Associated Press.

Public health experts at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) spent weeks preparing detailed guidance to help schools, child care centers, religious groups, bars and restaurants, public transit officials, and others plan for a return to normalcy. The CDC’s work featured phased reopening plans, steps for ensuring each phase was completed successfully, and flow charts to help local officials decide how and when to reopen.

But the Trump administration quashed the guidance on April 30, saying CDC Director Robert Redfield had not approved it. Redfield reiterated his reasoning this Saturday, saying in a statement, “The re-opening guidance shared prematurely was in draft form and had not been vetted through the interagency review process,” and arguing more work needed to be done on it to ensure “clear guidance is presented to the American people.” Internal emails reviewed by the AP reportedly appear to show the director signing off on the plan, however.

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/9/21253060/wh...ing-safely
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Alan V

(05-16-2020, 08:17 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Can we trade presidents?  I'll throw in Melania too.   You can have two for the price of one.  Pleeeeeeease. Sadcryface

A kind offering, but no thanks. I prefer our divorced insomniac bookworm of a prez, that likes to take a lot of selfies with folks, proof:

At least he grabs a real tan, lots of vitamin D as well.

Quote:The latest number of of coronavirus cases in Texas jumped by 1,801 in a single day, the highest daily rate since the state started tracking data. The number of cases reported now stands at 46,999, according to the latest figures released by Johns Hopkins University.

There are currently 19,093 active cases statewide with 1,791 patients hospitalized -- which is an increase of 75 from yesterday.

A total of 678,471 people have been tested out of a statewide population of around 29 million people.

The state of Texas has also reported 1,305 fatalities -- an increase of 33 but down from the two day high of 58 and 56 the previous two days.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/coronavirus-up...d=70727961

This is what opening up early has gotten us here.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Dancefortwo

Without a vaccine I think it's just a matter of numbers spiking now or later. In my opinion the main goals should be not overwhelming the hospitals and health care systems and providing maximum regulation over and support of elderly care facilities.
The following 4 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • LastPoet, Thumpalumpacus, Alan V, brewerb

(05-17-2020, 03:22 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Guess who's hiding information about the pandemic here in America ...

Quote:Coronavirus infection rates are spiking to new highs in several metropolitan areas and smaller communities across the country, according to undisclosed data the White House's pandemic task force is using to track rates of infection, which was obtained by NBC News.

The data in a May 7 coronavirus task force report are at odds with President Donald Trump's declaration Monday that "all throughout the country, the numbers are coming down rapidly."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-h...s-n1204751

Quote:Top White House officials suppressed guidelines from public health experts on reopening the economy for weeks, and only ordered the approval of parts of that guidance after media reports exposed the delay, according to a report from the Associated Press.

Public health experts at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) spent weeks preparing detailed guidance to help schools, child care centers, religious groups, bars and restaurants, public transit officials, and others plan for a return to normalcy. The CDC’s work featured phased reopening plans, steps for ensuring each phase was completed successfully, and flow charts to help local officials decide how and when to reopen.

But the Trump administration quashed the guidance on April 30, saying CDC Director Robert Redfield had not approved it. Redfield reiterated his reasoning this Saturday, saying in a statement, “The re-opening guidance shared prematurely was in draft form and had not been vetted through the interagency review process,” and arguing more work needed to be done on it to ensure “clear guidance is presented to the American people.” Internal emails reviewed by the AP reportedly appear to show the director signing off on the plan, however.

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/9/21253060/wh...ing-safely

A lot of people look at New York and see the numbers going down and think we're past the worst but that isn't the case. The news media zeroed in on NY because it was such a hot spot and became a focal point.  The numbers are down in NY but across the countries the numbers are slowly inching up.  I'm no expert but it looks like it's slowly creeping it's way into the rural areas in some Southern states.  It's not hitting all at once like it did in NY so it's not so news worthy.  Florida and Georgia's numbers are up too.  And the hot weather doesn't seem to do too much to stop it, like Orange Idiot stupidly claimed.  

Washington Post had an article about the lack of national mourning by the administration for the 90,000 Americans who have died.  It's like their deaths didn't even happen.   You and I know that if Idiot in the White House mourned for the dead, which he is incapable of doing, it would mean that people are dying and he'd have to take responsibility for the deaths, which he is also incapable of doing.   He's a tyrant, the worst president ever. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/n...story.html
                                                         T4618

Don't worry about it.  Fuckface's HHS Secretary assures us that a vaccine will be produced.

Of course there are a few caveats.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/05/hhs-sec...l-have-it/

Quote:Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar on Sunday admitted that the Trump administration’s so-called “Warp Speed” vaccine effort could produce hundreds of millions of doses that are neither safe nor effective.

Pretty much the kind of horseshit one should expect from a two-bit real estate salesman who never told the truth in his life.
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Thumpalumpacus

(05-17-2020, 04:30 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Don't worry about it.  Fuckface's HHS Secretary assures us that a vaccine will be produced.

Of course there are a few caveats.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/05/hhs-sec...l-have-it/

Quote:Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar on Sunday admitted that the Trump administration’s so-called “Warp Speed” vaccine effort could produce hundreds of millions of doses that are neither safe nor effective.

Pretty much the kind of horseshit one should expect from a two-bit real estate salesman who never told the truth in his life.

My son and I were talking about this on Friday. It's a clusterfuck waiting to happen, throwing rapidly developed vaccines against the wall to see what sticks. Detailed testing protocols are in place for a reason. It's as if Trump has never heard of Thalidomide babies or something.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Dancefortwo, M.Linoge