Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Coronavirus spreads. But don't panic! (topical thread)

New York state has released a county-by-county map with figures for # of COVID tests, and % positive.

Since you must have cold or flu-like symptoms to be eligible for testing, the % positive reflects how many people who feel sick, are sick with COVID -- not how many people have COVID, period.

In my mostly rural county with the largest city being about 30,000 people, we are running 5.6% positive. At the other extreme in the NYC boroughs it's running in the mid-50% range. Counties with smaller cities are far lower -- Rochester is 11%, for example.

What this suggests -- for what it's worth -- is that IF you have flu-like symptoms, your chance of it being COVID goes way up in denser population centers, to the point that in a megalopolis like New York City, you have a better than even chance of testing positive.

There's no reason to think this general rule doesn't generally hold elsewhere. It makes perfect sense.
The following 1 user Likes mordant's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

And a year from now they'll be telling stories about people who died in their homes, afraid to go to the hospitals.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 3 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Dom, Thumpalumpacus, Astreja

(04-06-2020, 05:53 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: And a year from now they'll be telling stories about people who died in their homes, afraid to go to the hospitals.

That could be me....
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

(04-06-2020, 05:59 PM)Dom Wrote:
(04-06-2020, 05:53 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: And a year from now they'll be telling stories about people who died in their homes, afraid to go to the hospitals.

That could be me....

Could be a Twilight Zone episode.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Dom

Navy Secretary Modly should be keelhauled.
Don't mistake me for those nice folks from Give-A-Shit county.
The following 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post:
  • julep

When people do go to the hospital, it makes me fearful of how bad their symptoms must have been to risk going there for treatment given the state of things.
The following 3 users Like Bcat's post:
  • Dom, Aroura, Dancefortwo

(04-06-2020, 06:03 PM)Bcat Wrote:

When people do go to the hospital, it makes me fearful of how bad their symptoms must have been to risk going there for treatment given the state of things.
And this is the core of my comment.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • skyking

(04-06-2020, 06:36 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:

And this is the core of my comment.

Yup, I was just adding that it makes *me* really fearful of how incredibly horrendous one's symptoms must be to even contemplate going to the hospital.
The following 2 users Like Bcat's post:
  • Dom, Thumpalumpacus

There is nothing like having difficulty breathing to get your attention.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(04-06-2020, 07:03 PM)Minimalist Wrote:

There is nothing like having difficulty breathing to get your attention.
Waves from COPD land. That's just "Tuesdays" here.
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Dom, skyking

Have we discussed the fact that the CDC lied about the effectiveness of the public wearing masks? Seriously, that was some Machiavellian shit.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

back from a combined mail drop, prescription pick up and shopping in the same store. Observations:
I saw ~50% mask usage.
People without masks were more likely to ignore social distancing.
My one encounter at the checkstand was an older lady who could not fathom why I was standing back, and made motions to cut me off. I looked at her and did not acknowledge her little old lady look. No mask, no clue, no care.
She fell in behind after a while, but pushed in past the 'wait here" mark while I was checking out.
Saw another non-mask wearer touching their face.
I wonder how many are blowing this off as overplayed?
The following 1 user Likes skyking's post:
  • Bcat

UK Prime Minister Johnson in intensive care after COVID-19 worsens

Should've been Bolsonaro, who recently took a walk through the city and was taking selfies with supporters.
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 3 users Like Vera's post:
  • Dom, Thumpalumpacus, Astreja

The U.S. passed 10,000 deaths. It was "only" 3000 a week ago.

(04-06-2020, 04:46 PM)Paleophyte Wrote: Because coronavirus isn't the common cold and an 8% reduction in duration isn't very meaningful. Most North Americans have a lot of vitamin C in their diet anyway, so it's going to be present in both your study populations.

Oh, and:

Rainys Link Wrote:If you want the benefits of vitamin C, you'll need to consume it every day, and not just at the start of cold symptoms.

Well your 2 responses may have answered someones questions, but they do not address mine. 

It took someone one read of that NY Post article  "placebo my ass..." And I am sure at least 3 of my friend/acquaintance who are into the healthy doses of whateverForBetterLiving, would nod their heads in agreement with Placebo my ass, should they read it in some commentary section of OrganicGardenDustForBetterLiving(dot)org

Why would they (people doing trials) RISK PUTTING DOUBT into the effectiveness [or not] of the clinical drug test?

I just think whoever decided to use Vitamin C as a placebo made a terrible mistake in that choice.  None of the above will matter if the trials come up with Wow This/that drug helped significantly.  It WILL come up if the trials declare DinDoNuffin.

(04-06-2020, 07:53 PM)Rainy_D Wrote: Why would they (people doing trials) RISK PUTTING DOUBT into the effectiveness [or not] of the clinical drug test?

TL;DR version: They wouldn't.

You and your friends and their websites and your ass don't know how to put together a clinical trial. Diet, race, genetics, age, fitness, and a whole lot of other factors add confounding variables into any clinical trial. Vitamins are just one of these factors and have negligible effect.

If hydroxyclhoroquinone doesn't have more of an effect that vitamin C then you really ought to just take vitamin C. The side effects are less gruesome.

I'm hoping that it does have more of an effect because that might mean that a few million people might not die horribly.

(04-06-2020, 07:46 PM)Vera Wrote: UK Prime Minister Johnson in intensive care after COVID-19 worsens

Should've been Bolsonaro, who recently took a walk through the city and was taking selfies with supporters.

Earlier in March Johnson claimed to have been shaking hands with Covid-19 patients in a NHS hospital. Maybe now he realises just how much of a stupid fucking action that was.
The following 6 users Like Finite Monkeys's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, abaris, Alan V, Fireball, skyking, Thumpalumpacus

(The New York Times) A German Exception? Why the Country’s Coronavirus Death Rate Is Low

Quote:Germany has the fourth-highest number of confirmed coronavirus infections — more than 100,000. But its death rate is an order of magnitude lower than those in nearby Italy and Spain. One reason is a quirk of fate: many of the first to be infected were young, healthy people who caught the virus in Austrian and Italian ski resorts. Germany has also tested many people with few or no symptoms, lowering the death rate on paper. And the country has a robust free public-health system with lots of intensive-care beds, a trusted government whose social-distancing guidelines are widely observed and an aggressive approach to early testing and treatment.

(National Geographic) Tiger tests positive for coronavirus at Bronx Zoo, first known case in the world

Quote:A tiger at a zoo in New York City is the first known wild animal to test positive for the virus that causes COVID-19. Veterinarians guess that the big cat probably caught the coronavirus from a zookeeper. The finding adds to concerns that vulnerable wild animals, including great apes, could be at risk from the illness.
The following 5 users Like Hussein's post:
  • Alan V, Dānu, Paleophyte, Aroura, Thumpalumpacus

Trump bristled when asked about promoting hydroxychloroquine. Then he cut Fauci off.

Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(04-06-2020, 06:03 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote: Navy Secretary Modly should be keelhauled.
Acting Navy Secretary... chosen because he's a weak toady who will always choose puppet's interests over honor.
god, ugh
The following 3 users Like julep's post:
  • Aroura, Dom, Old Man Marsh

Mass desertions in the military if this gets bad. You read it here first.
The following 3 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Astreja, Old Man Marsh

The British Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, has been moved into the ICU.

Quote:British Prime Minister Boris Johnson was rushed into the intensive care unit in a London hospital Monday evening after his coronavirus symptoms worsened, his office said — and he has asked the foreign secretary to stand in for him.
The following 1 user Likes Aroura's post:
  • Aractus

(04-06-2020, 10:57 PM)Aroura Wrote: The British Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, has been moved into the ICU.

Quote:British Prime Minister Boris Johnson was rushed into the intensive care unit in a London hospital Monday evening after his coronavirus symptoms worsened, his office said — and he has asked the foreign secretary to stand in for him.

What country is his secretary from?

Grocery workers are beginning to die of coronavirus

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/grocer...r-BB12eFSF

Quote:Major supermarket chains are beginning to report their first coronavirus-related employee deaths, leading to store closures and increasing anxiety among grocery workers as the pandemic intensifies across the country.

A Trader Joe’s worker in Scarsdale, N.Y., a greeter at a Giant store in Largo, Md., and two Walmart employees from the same Chicago-area store have died of covid-19 in recent days, the companies confirmed Monday.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Aroura

(04-06-2020, 01:59 AM)brewerb Wrote:
(04-06-2020, 12:30 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(04-06-2020, 12:13 AM)brewerb Wrote: Some drugs that can be used for covid ARDS that are not getting much press: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7096066/

This seems to be a drug used for mountain climbers who climb too quickly.  They suffer from high altitude pulmonary edema,   HAPE, and this is the drug of choice for that condition.   People climbing Mt Everest sometimes also get swelling in the brain and there's a different drug for that.

You're correct, covid ARDS is thought to be more like HAPE. There are also questions about ventilator settings and changing them to low end PEEP (positive end expiratory pressure) to cut down on producing ventilator induced lung damage in covid. When I find the source again I'll post that, maybe it's in medscape.

Found the document: https://www.mdedge.com/internalmedicine/...ry-therapy
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 2 users Like brewerb's post:
  • Dancefortwo, skyking