Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AF.org down?

AF.org down?
(04-12-2022, 10:53 PM)Brian Shanahan Wrote: By the way for anybody who hasn't figured it out I'm Nomad from AF.org, just gone back to my old tradition of using my name.

I always knew you as Brian. Nomad doesn't ring a bell with me.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

AF.org down?
So is the story here simply that whoever was running AF just hit the kill switch just like that? Without any advance notice? How cold do you have to be to do something like that?

AF.org down?
(04-12-2022, 11:26 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: How cold do you have to be to do something like that?

Very. But Tiberius always gave the impression of being removed and withdrawn.
The following 1 user Likes abaris's post:
  • Mad Hatter

AF.org down?
(04-12-2022, 11:26 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: So is the story here simply that whoever was running AF just hit the kill switch just like that?  Without any advance notice?  How cold do you have to be to do something like that?

Nobody knows. Tiberius hasn't been actively involved in the forum in years. He may not even know that it's down.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Mad Hatter

AF.org down?
(04-12-2022, 11:45 PM)Dānu Wrote: He may not even know that it's down.

Some 7 years ago, it took him about a week to notice. I don't know how long it's down now. But if he doesn't respond to mails or calls, something else is amiss.

AF.org down?
I first noticed it about 2:00 on Thursday.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

AF.org down?
(04-12-2022, 10:40 PM)Neo_Scholastic Wrote:
(04-12-2022, 08:36 PM)abaris Wrote:
(04-12-2022, 08:29 PM)Aegon Wrote: Such a culture shift is inevitable as long as the forum continued to shrink... when you're talking to the same people over and over, it's kind of what happens. I logged on to AF.org less and less over the last few years because it just became boring.

But it was a relatively late development and not connected to losing members. When I joined, it was a fun and welcoming place. When I left, it was a let's gang up on people place. It also became more and more of a place where a law school degree would have been helpful in keeping up with the ever changing and newly introduced rules. In short, the lightheartedness I liked when I joined got entirely lost.

I enjoy reading other people's perspective on how things changed. From my perspective, the first big culture shift I noticed was a sudden influx of prolific mainline Christians (Roadrunner, Catholic Lady, etc.) And that IMHO helped AF become more vibrant for a while because before that, most of the prominent Christians seemed like fundamentalists (Drich, Huggy) that were easy targets for trolling. Then like the rest of society, political tribalism started to infuse nearly every discussion. 

AF became self-absorbed in discussions about civility, lead by those same mainline Christians, who then left in a mass exodus. Depending on one's point of view, that was either an self-righteous hissy-fit or an example of "get woke, go broke", maybe a little of both. You decide. Either way, AF never truly recovered from the sudden loss of multiple prominent contributors. When I checked back into AF there were far fewer threads and most did not interest me. That was until the last few months when vulcanlogic and polymath had some good threads like "Do Chairs Exist" etc. I also liked reading Belacqua's posts because, like me, he seemed to have a soft spot for classical mysticism. It did seem like things were on the upswing though, at least until the white screen.

I was part of that "mass exodus". We left for the very same reasons other members left, a toxic environment, cliquishness from the mods, and it seemed that Tibs just lost control of the site....and we weren't the only ones who left at that time for those reasons. You remember Mark and Joods, just to name a couple, and Thump left just a very little bit before we did, and more left around that time. The mass exodus didn't just include the Christian members. It seemed to have happened in a couple of waves, and all for the very same reasons.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. - The Mad Hatter
The following 1 user Likes Mad Hatter's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

AF.org down?
(04-12-2022, 10:39 PM)abaris Wrote:
(04-12-2022, 10:27 PM)Aliza Wrote: Ask her if Tiberius is okay.

You really think, she would be posting about biking or hiking, if her husband wasn't OK?

The truth seems to be, Tiberius just lost the final spark of interest in the forum and pulled the plug. As I said, he wasn't even active some nine years ago.

He was running NFL pick 'em leagues at AF as little as 5 years ago. I'm thinking his interest waxed and waned, waxing a little less and waning a little more until this. If he did simply pull the plug, no matter the reason, without at least offering the site up to others to own/operate, that is way beyond "dick move."
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]

AF.org down?
(04-12-2022, 10:40 PM)Neo_Scholastic Wrote:
(04-12-2022, 08:36 PM)abaris Wrote:
(04-12-2022, 08:29 PM)Aegon Wrote: Such a culture shift is inevitable as long as the forum continued to shrink... when you're talking to the same people over and over, it's kind of what happens. I logged on to AF.org less and less over the last few years because it just became boring.

But it was a relatively late development and not connected to losing members. When I joined, it was a fun and welcoming place. When I left, it was a let's gang up on people place. It also became more and more of a place where a law school degree would have been helpful in keeping up with the ever changing and newly introduced rules. In short, the lightheartedness I liked when I joined got entirely lost.

I enjoy reading other people's perspective on how things changed. From my perspective, the first big culture shift I noticed was a sudden influx of prolific mainline Christians (Roadrunner, Catholic Lady, etc.) And that IMHO helped AF become more vibrant for a while because before that, most of the prominent Christians seemed like fundamentalists (Drich, Huggy) that were easy targets for trolling. Then like the rest of society, political tribalism started to infuse nearly every discussion. 

AF became self-absorbed in discussions about civility, lead by those same mainline Christians, who then left in a mass exodus. Depending on one's point of view, that was either an self-righteous hissy-fit or an example of "get woke, go broke", maybe a little of both. You decide. Either way, AF never truly recovered from the sudden loss of multiple prominent contributors. When I checked back into AF there were far fewer threads and most did not interest me. That was until the last few months when vulcanlogic and polymath had some good threads like "Do Chairs Exist" etc. I also liked reading Belacqua's posts because, like me, he seemed to have a soft spot for classical mysticism. It did seem like things were on the upswing though, at least until the white screen.

AF lost a lot of atheist contributors due to that particular civility kerfuffle as well.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]

AF.org down?
Appears to be back up.
The following 1 user Likes Spooky's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

AF.org down?
(04-13-2022, 12:16 AM)Spooky Wrote: Appears to be back up.

It opened up for me. It seems to be working but I didn't see any explanation for the hiccup.
On hiatus.

AF.org down?
I'd suggest if anyone has content they don't want to lose, you may want to grab it now.

AF.org down?
I have no idea why it's back up, but it is.

All the people who pinged me here or PM about being involved with the replacement, I'll add you to the group later when I have more of a spare moment.

Not sure how necessary it is now.
The following 3 users Like Jackalope's post:
  • Peebothuhlu, Spooky, pocaracas

AF.org down?
(04-13-2022, 12:42 AM)Jackalope Wrote: I have no idea why it's back up, but it is.

All the people who pinged me here or PM about being involved with the replacement, I'll add you to the group later when I have more of a spare moment.

I have a spreadsheet for those I heard from.  Will be happy to send it to you or to merge with who you have.
The following 2 users Like arewethereyet's post:
  • Spooky, Thumpalumpacus

AF.org down?
(04-13-2022, 12:56 AM)arewethereyet Wrote:
(04-13-2022, 12:42 AM)Jackalope Wrote: I have no idea why it's back up, but it is.

I have a spreadsheet for those I heard from.  Will be happy to send it to you or to merge with who you have.

Dew eet.

Please, anyone who is interested in being involved, contact @arewethereyet she herding the cats, I am herding the nerds.

What I mean by that is that you have IT experience and want to help, get in touch with me.

Otherwise, get in touch with @arewethereyet
The following 1 user Likes Jackalope's post:
  • arewethereyet

AF.org down?
My IT experience is limited to the Stephen King version, unfortunately.

The following 2 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, KittyAnn

AF.org down?
Yeah I was wondering and trying for the longest time to get back on AF, I was like wtf happened haha.

AF.org down?
(04-13-2022, 12:38 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

It opened up for me. It seems to be working but I didn't see any explanation for the hiccup.

Huh ...I just now got a white screen. It's not coming up on my end.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. - The Mad Hatter

AF.org down?
I get a white screen on Firefox but it came up on Chrome.

I blame Fuckface!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Kim

AF.org down?
(04-14-2022, 04:49 PM)Mad Hatter Wrote:
(04-13-2022, 12:38 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

Huh ...I just now got a white screen. It's not coming up on my end.

It just now opened up for me. I'm using Chrome and haven't cleared cache in a couple of months.
On hiatus.

AF.org down?
(04-12-2022, 11:21 PM)abaris Wrote:
(04-12-2022, 10:53 PM)Brian Shanahan Wrote: By the way for anybody who hasn't figured it out I'm Nomad from AF.org, just gone back to my old tradition of using my name.

I always knew you as Brian. Nomad doesn't ring a bell with me.

I was Dorfl and Wololoo and one other name I forget.  I think Nomad was adopted after you left.  It's a "The Stars My Destination" reference.
Factio Republicanus delenda est!

AF.org down?
Hey guys. I just saw that AF.org is back up. Thanks for letting us crash here for a few days when we were homeless. Very much appreciated.

It seems unlikely that you'd ever need the favor in return, but feel free to regroup in our base camp if the need arises.

Gratitude.
The following 5 users Like vulcanlogician's post:
  • Dom, Fireball, Aliza, Mathilda, pocaracas

AF.org down?
(04-15-2022, 01:14 AM)vulcanlogician Wrote: Hey guys. I just saw that AF.org is back up. Thanks for letting us crash here for a few days when we were homeless. Very much appreciated.

It seems unlikely that you'd ever need the favor in return, but feel free to regroup in our base camp if the need arises.

Gratitude.

C'mon, man, don't be a stranger! I visit both because there is a difference in topicality.  Thumbs Up
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • vulcanlogician

AF.org down?
(04-15-2022, 01:20 AM)Fireball Wrote: C'mon, man, don't be a stranger! I visit both because there is a difference in topicality.  Thumbs Up

Quite true. I'm not as avid a poster as I used to be. I tend to only get online every few days.

But, yeah. The change of scenery was nice. I'll try to poke my head in a little more often.
The following 3 users Like vulcanlogician's post:
  • Aliza, Thumpalumpacus, Fireball

AF.org down?
(04-15-2022, 01:14 AM)vulcanlogician Wrote: Hey guys. I just saw that AF.org is back up. Thanks for letting us crash here for a few days when we were homeless. Very much appreciated.

Gratitude.

We actually did that when TTA went down, and this is only thanks returned in kind, brotha. Hoping all the same that you and your ilk (Smile) stay around.
On hiatus.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Fireball, Aliza, Peebothuhlu