Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just wow!

Just wow!
(10-30-2018, 12:54 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 12:50 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 12:43 AM)Dom Wrote: Yeah, he didn't hire a very good web designer for his new site. No one just throws away the kind of traffic and ranking he had.

Just to play Devil's advocate (so to speak) the old place didn't have advertising, so...no monetary issue involved, right?

The unthinking atheist televangelist's site most certainly does have advertising.

I mean the old forum as it was.  Nothing there making him a buck, I don't think.

Just wow!
(10-30-2018, 12:43 AM)Dom Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 12:41 AM)GirlyMan Wrote: Just eyeballing it, 10 views per post seems about right, that's 100,000 views the unthinking atheist televangelist didn't get. Warms me cockles. Only thing I can figure is he just didn't think of that. Smile

Yeah, he didn't hire a very good web designer for his new site. No one just throws away the kind of traffic and ranking he had.

Just to play Devil's advocate (so to speak) the old place didn't have advertising, so...no monetary issue involved, right?

Traffic is gold when you want to build up a site. You have to go look at the new site. It has nothing to attract traffic, just his brand name. It's going to plummet. We, on the other hand, with all our traffic and activity, will rise.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 3 users Like Dom's post:
  • GirlyMan, Thumpalumpacus, Kim

Just wow!
(10-30-2018, 12:58 AM)Dom Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 12:43 AM)Dom Wrote: Yeah, he didn't hire a very good web designer for his new site. No one just throws away the kind of traffic and ranking he had.

Traffic is gold when you want to build up a site. You have to go look at the new site. It has nothing to attract traffic, just his brand name. It's going to plummet. We, on the other hand, with all our traffic and activity, will rise.

I don’t think I’ll even give him that one click to see what it looks like Deadpan Coffee Drinker
[Image: 320-C6-ED7-97-CD-4-AB2-A60-A-759-A45-FB7-FE8.jpg]
"The Thinking Atheist forum" “The Thinking Atheist forum closed down" “TTA Forum”
The following 5 users Like Smercury44's post:
  • GirlyMan, jerry mcmasters, Unsapien, Thumpalumpacus, Kim

Just wow!
(10-30-2018, 12:58 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 12:54 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 12:50 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Just to play Devil's advocate (so to speak) the old place didn't have advertising, so...no monetary issue involved, right?

The unthinking atheist televangelist's site most certainly does have advertising.

I mean the old forum as it was.  Nothing there making him a buck, I don't think.

The remuneration for that advertisement is directly related to the traffic which goes through thethinkingatheist.com domain. Even though there were no ads on thethinkingatheist.com/forum, the traffic went through his domain. The less traffic through the domain, the less valuable to  advertisers.
Amor fati.
The following 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post:
  • Kim

Just wow!
(10-30-2018, 01:04 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 12:58 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 12:54 AM)GirlyMan Wrote: The unthinking atheist televangelist's site most certainly does have advertising.

The remuneration for that advertisement is directly related to the traffic which goes through thethinkingatheist.com domain. Even though there were no ads on thethinkingatheist.com/forum, the traffic went through his domain. The less traffic through the domain, the less valuable to  advertisers.. Smile

Ah Ok I don't doubt what you say but I don't understand...I would go to the forum often but never saw his "regular" site and therefore I never saw an ad...yet he got credit for that?  The internet can't understand that I never saw an ad?

Just wow!
(10-30-2018, 01:09 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 12:58 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: I mean the old forum as it was.  Nothing there making him a buck, I don't think.

The remuneration for that advertisement is directly related to the traffic which goes through thethinkingatheist.com domain. Even though there were no ads on thethinkingatheist.com/forum, the traffic went through his domain. The less traffic through the domain, the less valuable to  advertisers.. Smile

Ah Ok I don't doubt what you say but I don't understand...I would go to the forum often but never saw his "regular" site and therefore I never saw an ad...yet he got credit for that? 

Yes.

(10-30-2018, 01:09 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: The internet can't understand that I never saw an ad?

They could, but advertisers just look at the traffic through the domain, not particular sections of the domain. That would be quite the pain in the ass and site specific.
Amor fati.
The following 2 users Like GirlyMan's post:
  • jerry mcmasters, Kim

Just wow!

Oh my. Look at that drop since the forum went away. Fuckin' moron. I wish he would go back to being Christian, he makes atheists look stupid. My fucking dogs think further ahead than this asshat. He's doomed. Hoisted with his own petard. I fucking hate televangelist scammers, don't matter if they're Christian or atheist. This dude is one of the worst, he couldn't make it as a Christian preacher so he figured he'd try being a deconverted atheist preacher to see if atheists are bigger suckers than the Christians. Well I'm not and he's a disingenuous asshole. ... ...  Smile

[Image: Akxn7EV.png]
Amor fati.
The following 6 users Like GirlyMan's post:
  • Smercury44, Vera, Dom, Thumpalumpacus, Kim, Full Circle

Just wow!
(10-30-2018, 01:24 AM)GirlyMan Wrote: My fucking dogs think further ahead than this asshat.

Your dog's probably more fun to be around.
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Smercury44

Just wow!
(10-30-2018, 01:09 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 12:58 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: I mean the old forum as it was.  Nothing there making him a buck, I don't think.

Ah Ok I don't doubt what you say but I don't understand...I would go to the forum often but never saw his "regular" site and therefore I never saw an ad...yet he got credit for that?  The internet can't understand that I never saw an ad?

It's all about search engine rankings. If you rank lower than page three, most advertisers won't give you but the cheapest ads. If you rank way high, you can sell space on your site to the highest bidder. When I say his site will plummet, I mean in the search rankings. Google et al want the people to find exactly what they are looking for. If a site suddenly loses 80% of it's traffic (he still will have some from facebook and twitter), google figures people don't like it anymore and it starts slipping. Likewise, if an brand new site appears to be popular and growing at a steady pace, google figures people will like it and it climbs.
The following 3 users Like Dom's post:
  • GirlyMan, Thumpalumpacus, Kim

Just wow!
You're welcome.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Just wow!
(10-30-2018, 01:24 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 12:50 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Just to play Devil's advocate (so to speak) the old place didn't have advertising, so...no monetary issue involved, right?

Oh my. Look at that drop since the forum went away. Fuckin' moron. I wish he would go back to being Christian, he makes atheists look stupid. My fucking dogs think further ahead than this asshat. He's doomed. Hoisted with his own petard. I fucking hate televangelist scammers, don't matter if they're Christian or atheist. This dude is one of the worst, he couldn't make it as a Christian preacher so he figured he'd try being a deconverted atheist preacher to see if atheists are bigger suckers than the Christians. Well I'm not and he's a disingenuous asshole. ... ...  Smile

Ok let's update:

[Image: TTAstats.jpg]

Still falling  Whistling 

But what's also interesting is that TFTSNBN 's "bounce rate" is also going up, it's at 51% and rising (that's bad) it means that half the people that go to the site leave after seeing the first web page, people also only spend about 3 minutes on the site, and view 3 pages.

Now just for interest I checked atheistdiscussion.org's statistics, and while we're new and in many area's it says "not enough data" it did show a "bounce rate" of only 15%, and that the average person spent 19 minutes on the site and viewed 12 pages.

Interestingly it also showed that 100% of ADO's traffic was coming from Taiwan? I'd be interested if anyone could shed some light on that oddity...or is it just due to lack of data?
[Image: 20220702-163925.jpg]

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

The following 6 users Like Unsapien's post:
  • Dom, Kim, Full Circle, GirlyMan, Smercury44, Aliza

Just wow!
(11-04-2018, 09:10 AM)Unsapien Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 12:58 AM)Dom Wrote: Traffic is gold when you want to build up a site. You have to go look at the new site. It has nothing to attract traffic, just his brand name. It's going to plummet. We, on the other hand, with all our traffic and activity, will rise.

Ok let's update:

Still falling  Whistling 

But what's also interesting is that TFTSNBN 's "bounce rate" is also going up, it's at 51% and rising (that's bad) it means that half the people that go to the site leave after seeing the first web page, people also only spend about 3 minutes on the site, and view 3 pages.

Now just for interest I checked atheistdiscussion.org's statistics, and while we're new and in many area's it says "not enough data" it did show a "bounce rate" of only 15%, and that the average person spent 19 minutes on the site and viewed 12 pages.

Interestingly it also showed that 100% of ADO's traffic was coming from Taiwan? I'd be interested if anyone could shed some light on that oddity...or is it just due to lack of data?

I haven't been back there since the forum was shut down. That's the only part of the website I ever accessed. What peeved me most about the entire incident was that I had naively donated $100 a few weeks prior to the forum's cancellation. Hmm
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • Dom

Just wow!
(11-04-2018, 09:10 AM)Unsapien Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 12:58 AM)Dom Wrote: Traffic is gold when you want to build up a site. You have to go look at the new site. It has nothing to attract traffic, just his brand name. It's going to plummet. We, on the other hand, with all our traffic and activity, will rise.

Ok let's update:

Still falling  Whistling 

Probably lack of data. We are still being indexed.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Kim

Just wow!
(11-04-2018, 09:10 AM)Unsapien Wrote: But what's also interesting is that TTA's "bounce rate" is also going up, it's at 51% and rising...

It's actually not all that bad at 51% in comparison to these 2017 fugures:

[Image: pasted-image-0-425.png]

neilpatel.com/blog/bounce-rate-analytics
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Just wow!
Are these worldwide or regional?

Just wow!
(11-04-2018, 12:00 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: I haven't been back there since the forum was shut down. That's the only part of the website I ever accessed. What peeved me most about the entire incident was that I had naively donated $100 a few weeks prior to the forum's cancellation. Hmm

Demand a refund.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 2 users Like Chas's post:
  • Smercury44, GirlyMan

Just wow!
(11-04-2018, 11:26 PM)Chas Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 12:00 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: I haven't been back there since the forum was shut down. That's the only part of the website I ever accessed. What peeved me most about the entire incident was that I had naively donated $100 a few weeks prior to the forum's cancellation. Hmm

As it happens, I forgot to give last year, so I had figured that I'd just give twice my donation this year. So I guess Seth saved me the trouble. 

I would request a refund. Simply tell Seth that the money was given with the expectation that the forum would be there. Tell him you don't see the impact of your money anymore. The services offered at The Thinking Atheist have changed and no longer honor the conditions under which you donated. I don't know if TTA is a registered non-profit, but even if it's not, Seth should want to do the right thing by refunding your donation. If he made a wise business move by removing us, then this should present no problem for him whatsoever.

Let us know how it goes.
The following 2 users Like Aliza's post:
  • DLJ, Gawdzilla Sama

Just wow!
(11-04-2018, 11:46 PM)Aliza Wrote:

As it happens, I forgot to give last year, so I had figured that I'd just give twice my donation this year. So I guess Seth saved me the trouble. 

I would request a refund. Simply tell Seth that the money was given with the expectation that the forum would be there. Tell him you don't see the impact of your money anymore. The services offered at The Thinking Atheist have changed and no longer honor the conditions under which you donated. I don't know if TTA is a registered non-profit, but even if it's not, Seth should want to do the right thing by refunding your donation. If he made a wise business move by removing us, then this should present no problem for him whatsoever.

Let us know how it goes.

So...what's the bill on keeping this place open for business?  Have we established a kick-in site?
The following 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, Gwaithmir

Just wow!
(11-05-2018, 12:13 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 11:26 PM)Chas Wrote: Demand a refund.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Let us know how it goes.

So...what's the bill on keeping this place open for business?  Have we established a kick-in site?

I've pledged my first-born.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 4 users Like Chas's post:
  • Smercury44, SYZ, GirlyMan, Gawdzilla Sama

Just wow!
(11-04-2018, 04:40 PM)Dom Wrote: Are these worldwide or regional?

Yeppers... those fugures [sic ] are worldwide.     Thumbs Up
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

Just wow!
(11-05-2018, 12:13 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(11-04-2018, 11:26 PM)Chas Wrote: Demand a refund.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Let us know how it goes.

I expect that we'll ultimately need a plan for server fees, but at least for the short term, we're more focused on getting this place up to par. 

I would recommend that if you want to make a contribution to someone until we're in a position to get ourselves to a point where we can accept money, you might consider making a donation to MyBB or to the coders who have developed our plugins. I'll make a list available for those who want to do that.
The following 1 user Likes Aliza's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

Just wow!
(11-04-2018, 09:10 AM)Unsapien Wrote: Ok let's update:

Rutro, Relroy. Smile

Fucking moron gets what he deserves. Fucking moron.
Amor fati.
The following 2 users Like GirlyMan's post:
  • Smercury44, Gawdzilla Sama

Just wow!
(11-05-2018, 12:13 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: So...what's the bill on keeping this place open for business?  Have we established a kick-in site?

We got Jews for that. Smile
Amor fati.

Just wow!

I'm with Chas, do that. Nod
'
Amor fati.