Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water Rockets

Water Rockets
How many of us have had the simple pleasure of launching these, as children?

Water Rockets
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 2 users Like Fireball's post:
  • brewerb, Cavebear

Water Rockets
(01-07-2024, 08:39 PM)Fireball Wrote: How many of us have had the simple pleasure of launching these, as children?

Water Rockets

Sorry, never had the pleasure.  I guess it wasn’t very Jewish?  Aggravated
The following 1 user Likes pattylt's post:
  • Fireball

Water Rockets
Polish cannons, yes. Water rockets, no.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Fireball

Water Rockets
(01-07-2024, 11:18 PM)pattylt Wrote:
(01-07-2024, 08:39 PM)Fireball Wrote: How many of us have had the simple pleasure of launching these, as children?

Water Rockets

Sorry, never had the pleasure.  I guess it wasn’t very Jewish?  Aggravated

I have never done this either, but this looks like something you could even do on Shabbos. Maybe it's like mustard and mayonnaise. Both of them are kosher, but only one of them is Jewish
The following 2 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Fireball, pattylt

Water Rockets

Water Rockets

Did it as an adult also, diet coke + Mentos. Just had to try it for myself.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Fireball

Water Rockets
(01-07-2024, 11:31 PM)Dānu Wrote: Polish cannons, yes.  Water rockets, no.

Had to looks that one up. Us hicks called them spud guns.
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Fireball

Water Rockets

Water Rockets

I received a Christmas gift of a water rocket as a child. I'm not sure it was the same you are describing though.  Mine was an actual rocket-shaped thing.  It had a luachpad.  You filled it up the rocket halfway with water and attached it to the launchpad.  Then you pressed a pump on the side to add air pressure.  When you launched (I forget exactly how), the rocket went a few hundred feet in the air.  

This before the first astronauts.  Guessing around 1960 when the idea was announced by President Kennedy.  So I would have been about 10 then.  I got a 2nd rocket (different shape) from a grandparent.  So I had 2.  Water was cheap and I didn't need much, but those water rockets sure gave me a lot of fun back in the day...

My parents were sure that I would go into space someday. Sadly, no. Not qualified. I get dizzy easily.

Nice memory though.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Fireball

Water Rockets
(01-08-2024, 10:29 AM)Cavebear Wrote: I received a Christmas gift of a water rocket as a child. I'm not sure it was the same you are describing though.  Mine was an actual rocket-shaped thing.  It had a luachpad.  You filled it up the rocket halfway with water and attached it to the launchpad.  Then you pressed a pump on the side to add air pressure.
I recently bought one of these for the kids in the family that uses standard 2 liter soda bottles for rockets. It is a lot of fun in the summer!
The following 2 users Like rocinantexyz's post:
  • Cavebear, Fireball

Water Rockets
Childhood ideas that went wrong...

I once bought a huge balloon and attached it to the garden hose. I expected it to blow up grandly. Instead, it finally just broke and sagged onto the ground.

I once came into possession of a minor "cherry bomb". I hung it from a string on a pole. I expected it to go around the pole like a tetherball. It didn't. It just "popped".

Which is a way to say that science is more about testing ideas and accepting the results more than reaching an expected conclusion. Fairy tales show us you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a Prince. Science shows us you have to try some things and see what happens. What provides evidence in support of an idea is valid. What does not, is not.
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • rocinantexyz

Water Rockets
Take note: Not to be confused with high pressure colonics..
The following 2 users Like brewerb's post:
  • Fireball, pattylt

Water Rockets
(01-08-2024, 10:29 AM)Cavebear Wrote:

Water Rockets

I received a Christmas gift of a water rocket as a child. I'm not sure it was the same you are describing though.  Mine was an actual rocket-shaped thing.  It had a luachpad.  You filled it up the rocket halfway with water and attached it to the launchpad.  Then you pressed a pump on the side to add air pressure.  When you launched (I forget exactly how), the rocket went a few hundred feet in the air.  

This before the first astronauts.  Guessing around 1960 when the idea was announced by President Kennedy.  So I would have been about 10 then.  I got a 2nd rocket (different shape) from a grandparent.  So I had 2.  Water was cheap and I didn't need much, but those water rockets sure gave me a lot of fun back in the day...

My parents were sure that I would go into space someday.  Sadly, no.  Not qualified.  I get dizzy easily.

Nice memory though.
I had one of that style of water rocket myself. I think I managed to break it right away though.
The following 1 user Likes mordant's post:
  • Cavebear

Water Rockets
(01-13-2024, 12:10 AM)mordant Wrote:
(01-08-2024, 10:29 AM)Cavebear Wrote: I received a Christmas gift of a water rocket as a child. I'm not sure it was the same you are describing though.  Mine was an actual rocket-shaped thing.  It had a luachpad.  You filled it up the rocket halfway with water and attached it to the launchpad.  Then you pressed a pump on the side to add air pressure.  When you launched (I forget exactly how), the rocket went a few hundred feet in the air.  

My parents were sure that I would go into space someday.  Sadly, no.  Not qualified.  I get dizzy easily.

Nice memory though.
I had one of that style of water rocket myself. I think I managed to break it right away though.

Sorry to hear that. Mine lasted several years. And it may have just been that I was getting bored with them. There are only so many times you can launch a water rocket and be amazed about it. Sad Probably, my parents passed them on to some younger family or neighbor kid. Recycling toys is good.

I went on to more complicated things like HO trains, archery, camping.

Water Rockets
I tried making one, but never had much luck. I had a lot more fun with these https://sciencetoymaker.org/air-rockets/ and made a setup with a PVC frame and ball valve with a bike pump that I could get up to about 120 psi.
The following 2 users Like Zizzer-Zazzer-Zuzz's post:
  • Fireball, brewerb