Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do You Like Sweet Corn?

Do You Like Sweet Corn?
If so, you'll like Laser Scarecrows
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • brewerb

Do You Like Sweet Corn?
We have an orchard/farm ~ 4 miles away and they use propane cannon to keep the pests away.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

Do You Like Sweet Corn?
This is good if people complain about the noise.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

Do You Like Sweet Corn?
What?
The following 2 users Like brewerb's post:
  • Fireball, Cavebear

Do You Like Sweet Corn?
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • brewerb, Fireball

Do You Like Sweet Corn?
^^^ Damn, now I have images of blind birds in my head.
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Fireball

Do You Like Sweet Corn?
(01-04-2024, 08:18 PM)brewerb Wrote: What?

There is yellow corn, which is pretty starchy. There is white corn, that is rather sugary. And then there is bi-color corn, which blends the 2. I greatly prefer the bicolor corn.

And then there is the produce staff at the local Safeway store, who can't seem to notice the difference. The label on the bin always says "bi-color" corn and half the time it isn't. They probably don't think it matters. I asked one about that once, and he said "there's a difference?".

Since I'm on a bit of a rant, it amazes me that the produce staff (and cashiers too) don't know much about the products they sell. You think that simple exposure to different products would slowly sink into their brains, but it doesn't. I asked one produce staff person where the bok choy was. He had no idea what it was. Well "someone" is putting it on their shelves (I found it eventually). They sell shallots, but have no idea what they are.

Any red apple is "Red Delicious" to them. I've pointed out label errors frequently. Cashiers are worse. They think romaine lettuce is cabbage. They think cherries are red grapes. They have to see this stuff all the time. I wonder what they actually eat at home? Hot pockets, delivered pizzas, and TV Dinners? But still, they see all the products the store sells. Wouldn't you think simple exposure would get them to identify the produce?

Ack! End of rant...
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Chas

Do You Like Sweet Corn?
(01-05-2024, 04:17 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(01-04-2024, 08:18 PM)brewerb Wrote: What?

There is yellow corn, which is pretty starchy.  There is white corn, that is rather sugary.  And then there is bi-color corn, which blends the 2.  I greatly prefer the bicolor corn.  

And then there is the produce staff at the local Safeway store, who can't seem to notice the difference.  The label on the bin always says "bi-color" corn and half the time it isn't.  They probably don't think it matters.  I asked one about that once, and he said "there's a difference?".  

Since I'm on a bit of a rant, it amazes me that the produce staff (and cashiers too) don't know much about the products they sell.  You think that simple exposure to different products would slowly sink into their brains, but it doesn't.  I asked one produce staff person where the bok choy was.  He had no idea what it was.  Well "someone" is putting it on their shelves (I found it eventually).  They sell shallots, but have no idea what they are.  

Any red apple is "Red Delicious" to them.  I've pointed out label errors frequently.  Cashiers are worse.  They think romaine lettuce is cabbage.  They think cherries are red grapes.  They have to see this stuff all the time.  I wonder what they actually eat at home?  Hot pockets, delivered pizzas, and TV Dinners?  But still, they see all the products the store sells.  Wouldn't you think simple exposure would get them to identify the produce?

Ack!  End of rant...

Born and raised in Newbraskie, the only thing I don't like about corn is detasseling. Hell, we even eat field corn.

Used to have Safeway here but they disappeared along with Hinky Dinky and good old A&P.

I don''t get to worked up about store staff anymore, I'd be checked out if working that job also. All I expect is that they can tell me which isle the occasional oddball item is that I'm looking for. None seem to know it off the top of their head, it's always 'let me check my phone'.

Do You Like Sweet Corn?
(01-05-2024, 01:30 PM)brewerb Wrote: Born and raised in Newbraskie, the only thing I don't like about corn is detasseling. Hell, we even eat field corn.

Used to have Safeway here but they disappeared along with Hinky Dinky and good old A&P.

I don''t get to worked up about store staff anymore, I'd be checked out if working that job also. All I expect is that they can tell me which isle the occasional oddball item is that I'm looking for. None seem to know it off the top of their head, it's always 'let me check my phone'.

Where in Nebraska?  I'm from Lincoln, but managed to escape.  Haven't thought about Hinky Dinky in years.
The following 1 user Likes Zizzer-Zazzer-Zuzz's post:
  • brewerb

Do You Like Sweet Corn?
(01-15-2024, 07:11 PM)Zizzer-Zazzer-Zuzz Wrote:
(01-05-2024, 01:30 PM)brewerb Wrote: Born and raised in Newbraskie, the only thing I don't like about corn is detasseling. Hell, we even eat field corn.

Where in Nebraska?  I'm from Lincoln, but managed to escape.  Haven't thought about Hinky Dinky in years.

Grew up in the Sandhills, now live close to Omaha. Do you still bleed scarlet and cream? Tongue

Do You Like Sweet Corn?
(01-15-2024, 07:27 PM)brewerb Wrote:
(01-15-2024, 07:11 PM)Zizzer-Zazzer-Zuzz Wrote: Where in Nebraska?  I'm from Lincoln, but managed to escape.  Haven't thought about Hinky Dinky in years.

Grew up in the Sandhills, now live close to Omaha. Do you still bleed scarlet and cream? Tongue

Not if I can help it, I ended up going to two other schools that were some shade of red and a lighter color.
The following 1 user Likes Zizzer-Zazzer-Zuzz's post:
  • brewerb

Do You Like Sweet Corn?
Here in MA we get a lot of fresh corn on the cob in July and August. I probably eat corn on the cob at least every other day. Drool
Preferably bi-color like "Butter and Sugar" or "Peaches and Cream".
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

Do You Like Sweet Corn?
Defiine sweet corn. A lot of the fresh and frozen corn available in the grocery stores around here is too sweet for our tastes. We mosty buy the white or bi-color corn on the carn as it tends to be less sweet than the yellow. We try to avoid anything frozen that says super sweet on the package. Prefering commodity frozen corn to most of the name and/or grocery store brands.

Succotash for the win...
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]