Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bennu Sample Successfully Returns To Earth

The conclusion of the mission to retrieve a sample from an asteroid has been filmed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/science-envi...t-66907726

Quote:There were celebrations in the Nasa control room as a capsule containing samples from the asteroid Bennu touched down in the Utah desert.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 6 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Fireball, Bucky Ball, pattylt, Inkubus, Dom, brewerb

(09-24-2023, 04:13 PM)Minimalist Wrote: The conclusion of the mission to retrieve a sample from an asteroid has been filmed.

Quote:There were celebrations in the Nasa control room as a capsule containing samples from the asteroid Bennu touched down in the Utah desert.

It wasn't an easy thing to do. It may tell us a lot about the origin of life...
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • pattylt

More than Genesis?

Big Grin
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • pattylt, Chas

I hope they quarantined the samples, we've had one dodgy virus last thing we need is some fucked up deadly alien pathogen doing the rounds. I'm pretty sure they do do that, I read somewhere the Apollo moon rock samples and the astronauts were quarantined when they returned.
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast

(09-25-2023, 04:37 PM)adey67 Wrote: I hope they quarantined the samples, we've had one dodgy virus last thing we need is some fucked up deadly alien pathogen doing the rounds. I'm pretty sure they do do that, I read somewhere the Apollo moon rock samples and the astronauts were quarantined when they returned.

Not that comforting, a lot of them are dead. Chuckle
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • adey67

(09-25-2023, 01:24 AM)Dom Wrote:
(09-24-2023, 04:13 PM)Minimalist Wrote: The conclusion of the mission to retrieve a sample from an asteroid has been filmed.

It wasn't an easy thing to do. It may tell us a lot about the origin of life...

I think abiogenesis in the proximity of hydrothermal vents is already an adequate and highly plausible explanation for the origins of life on earth. The news outlets stating this asteroid sample could well be helpful in clarifying this "mystery" is just a headline grabber IMO - there is no mystery to be solved.

I think they’re hoping for life signs from beyond earth. If, say early forms of RNA or complex molecules are found, it would indicate that life may be more or less common than we think.
The following 2 users Like pattylt's post:
  • Inkubus, brewerb

(09-26-2023, 05:40 PM)pattylt Wrote: I think they’re hoping for life signs from beyond earth.  If, say early forms of RNA or complex molecules are found, it would indicate that life may be more or less common than we think.

I'd be happy with finding amino acids, the building blocks for complexity. Finding anything approaching RNA would blow my mind.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 3 users Like brewerb's post:
  • Fireball, pattylt, Dom