Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Daylight Saving Time

Daylight Saving Time
(03-13-2023, 12:30 AM)Dānu Wrote:
(03-13-2023, 12:28 AM)Cavebear Wrote: Some things interfere with them.  I have mine up high and away from metal and water (I have some aquaria).  The instructions said East and West helps but I've never had a problem with all mine North/South.  Are you near mountains or cell towers?

I'm on the south side of the building.  I think it's just a line-of-sight problem but I've never really looked into it.

Oops.  It looks like it's synced now, but it's in the wrong time zone.  Unfortunately I don't know how to fix that.

You may find a button or slider on the back that chooses time zones.  

And in regard to that, I have a big blue digital display clock that tells me what day and time it is.  Trust me, some days I need something to tell me which day it is. The DST button died 2 years ago so it is stuck on DST.  NOW, I can uncover it.   Dance
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

Daylight Saving Time
(03-12-2023, 06:46 PM)Dom Wrote:
(03-12-2023, 04:37 PM)Cavebear Wrote: Not to get into a cats vs dogs thing, but I understand dogs (former wolves) value routines more than cats do.  They decide when to hunt.  Cats are more opportunistic and get food when they can.  

I read once that cats basically need 6 mice a day and it is "catch as catch can".  Dogs down a moose and eat gradually for a week.  So I tend to feed my cats about "a mouse" of canned food 6 times a day.  I don't know much about dogs, but there are darn few mooses around here.  LOL!

And they don't much care when they are fed, so long as they get their 6 mousies per day.  Or 12 every couple days.  Their hunting habits and success rates are irregular.  They are used to being hungry sometimes (in the wild).  So human-time is not their biggest problem.  I hope that makes sense.

Dogs seem to be able to tell time, down to a half hour or so and that may just be impatience. Cats less so, but they do expect to be fed around approximate times, unless, of course, they have food available permanently. Cats and dogs both also hunt when not interested in food, it's the prey drive, they are instinctually chasing things.

She's mellowed out in the last year or so in her old age (14ish we think now), but for most of my cat's life, she was there at 6 am waking me up for food whether anyone's alarm woke them or not. That's when she gets food on weekdays, so she knows the schedule. Thanks to her, DST ending is almost as bad as DST starting.

I'm a night owl that still works a day job. I sleep well, but I'm not ready to sleep when I need to be. Time change just makes that worse. I don't really care whether we pick one or the other, but I just wish we'd quit changing it. This morning sucked.
The following 2 users Like isbelldl's post:
  • Dom, Cavebear

Daylight Saving Time
Also, since I've talked about her in 2 DST threads now, here's a picture of my little troublemaker:
[Image: IMG_20221118_145155.jpg]
The following 2 users Like isbelldl's post:
  • Dom, SYZ

Daylight Saving Time
(03-12-2023, 03:54 PM)Dom Wrote:
(03-12-2023, 03:18 PM)Cavebear Wrote: In my old working days, when the cats were on a fairly routine food schedule, (fed before I left, fed when I returned, and fed just before I went to bed) the time change bothered them the 1st day.  After that, it was their new schedule and they were fine with it.  So am I.

Well, the dogs will be a mess when it all happens an hour late again. And round and round it goes.

I don't feed my dog to a clock. I lay out kibble and water and he can eat when he's damned well hungry, just like any other person.

I do love giving him some wet food topped with shredded cheese on occasion, though. He's always hungry for that!
On hiatus.

Daylight Saving Time
(03-13-2023, 11:13 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(03-12-2023, 03:54 PM)Dom Wrote: Well, the dogs will be a mess when it all happens an hour late again. And round and round it goes.

I don't feed my dog to a clock. I lay out kibble and water and he can eat when he's damned well hungry, just like any other person.

I do love giving him some wet food topped with shredded cheese on occasion, though. He's always hungry for that!

One of my two would eat until sick, every day, all day long, and weigh a ton. Dogs are just like people, eating disorders happen.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Daylight Saving Time
(03-13-2023, 01:04 PM)isbelldl Wrote: Also, since I've talked about her in 2 DST threads now, here's a picture of my little troublemaker:
[Image: IMG_20221118_145155.jpg]

I recommend a low flame so that he comes out tender and juicy.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Daylight Saving Time
Well, from time keeping to eating pussy. Another AD first.  Big Grin
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 2 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Inkubus, Thumpalumpacus

Daylight Saving Time
I save all of my daylight for the upcoming and inevitable vampire apocalypse.

If wise were you, the same would you do.

Daylight Saving Time
I have a circadian rhythm sleep disorder (N-24) so the shifts between
DST and standard time don't worry me at all.    And I never suffered
from jet lag when I was travelling around the world as a much younger
person. Am I lucky, or is it a curse?
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 2 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Inkubus, Cavebear

Daylight Saving Time
(03-13-2023, 12:59 PM)isbelldl Wrote:
(03-12-2023, 06:46 PM)Dom Wrote: Dogs seem to be able to tell time, down to a half hour or so and that may just be impatience. Cats less so, but they do expect to be fed around approximate times, unless, of course, they have food available permanently. Cats and dogs both also hunt when not interested in food, it's the prey drive, they are instinctually chasing things.

She's mellowed out in the last year or so in her old age (14ish we think now), but for most of my cat's life, she was there at 6 am waking me up for food whether anyone's alarm woke them or not. That's when she gets food on weekdays, so she knows the schedule. Thanks to her, DST ending is almost as bad as DST starting.

I'm a night owl that still works a day job. I sleep well, but I'm not ready to sleep when I need to be. Time change just makes that worse. I don't really care whether we pick one or the other, but I just wish we'd quit changing it. This morning sucked.

I was a night owl who worked a day job. Worked 5 years locally but had to get up at 5 am for a Govt job to do all the "necessaries" to leave home at 6 am to meet a carpool to get to work by 7 am. Hated and struggled with it for 35 years. I was well-respected but declined a "farewell party". And I was the last to leave my office that last day. I literally just "drove off into the sunset".

Arriving home, I told the cats "well, it is just us now". My life and theirs was never better. I stay up late and wake up late to this day 17 years later.

Daylight Saving Time works great for me. I'll trade one shorter day for all the days I see an extra hour of daylight. I want permanent DST. And I'd go for 2 hours of it.

Daylight Saving Time
(03-14-2023, 11:38 AM)SYZ Wrote: I have a circadian rhythm sleep disorder (N-24) so the shifts between
DST and standard time don't worry me at all.    And I never suffered
from jet lag when I was travelling around the world as a much younger
person. Am I lucky, or is it a curse?

You are lucky (as am I).  My hours are so irregular that changes don't upset my rhythms.  I once flew from Maryland to California and the time change didn't bother me.  Nor did the trip back.  

When I had a regular-hour job (and travelled) I just slept a lot the night before and went to bed early when I returned.  While I've never been a great sleeper, just laying in the waterbed was at least "sufficient". I was always alert and ready for the "next day".