Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daylight Saving(s)... For or Against?

(03-14-2021, 09:15 PM)Minimalist Wrote: They didn't get paid by the hour.

Neither do I.   The overlords would obviously try to figure out a way to ruin it for all us plebes, but I still feel attracted to the idea.  (Summer is a great time for guillotines; we could execute something like 60% extra robber barons per summer hour...) It vibes for me.
god, ugh

I had to read this more than once.

Quote:WASHINGTON (AP) — No need to lose sleep over the shift to daylight saving time this weekend.
The sun will still come up, though the dawn’s early light will break through later than it has during the months of standard time and the twilight’s last gleaming will extend deeper into the evening.
The annual shift comes at 2 a.m. local time Sunday in most of the United States. Don’t forget to set your clocks an hour ahead, usually before bed Saturday night, to avoid being late for Sunday morning activities.

I can't find a culprit and Snopes has nothing to add.

These claim to but I don't have an account.

Eta.
I don't know if that link will work it's the forth entry Here

I am 100% against Daylight Saving Time. We are no longer an agrarian society, we order our lives by the clock and the calendar.

What I do support is fixing the time zones. Well, adjusting might be a better word. Many locations near the eastern or western edge of a time zone might be better off in the adjacent one, or in a new ½ hour zone, e.g. Newfoundland, Chatham Islands. And many time zones are too wide or too narrow.
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 4 users Like Chas's post:
  • c172, mordant, SYZ, isbelldl

I can take it or leave it, but it took me 6-9 months before I got adjusted to it last year.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • c172

I don't care which way they leave it, just so they leave it alone
The following 2 users Like mordant's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, c172

If it really saved daylight, how come I can't make a withdrawal on a rainy day?
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard, Old Man Marsh

Damn time bandits.
Don't mistake me for those nice folks from Give-A-Shit county.
The following 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Still adjusting. I'm getting up an hour later by the clock, but I'm still getting up basically at the same time. My alarm goes off every morning and I snooze for another hour.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
  • Thumpalumpacus

Against! As someone who is an insomniac I find it hugely disruptive I also find the reasoning suspect in modern life. Apparently in Britain the excuse is to protect children from walking to school in the dark but considering as how the little bastards.... err I mean darlings mostly ride to school in gas guzzling 4x4 chelsea tractors it doesn't really apply besides you could quite easily choose to keep the one hour ahead as the fixed time thus eliminating that little problem.
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast
The following 1 user Likes adey67's post:
  • c172

Love it or hate it, here we go again, springing forward on Sun, Mar 12, 2023 at 2:00 AM.
Is this sig thing on?

Just when my sleep schedule had settled into a comfy norm.

Vivekananda
  • adey67

I'm opposed to it. I lived in Indiana for a while when it didn't follow DST. Daylight during waking hours worked out well enough year round. I think they only thing gained when it switched was being synced with neighboring states. Thanks to a cat that still doesn't care about DST, I lose an hour of sleep when we move clocks forward, & I don't gain it back when we move them back. The cat's hungry. She doesn't care if the clock only says 5am.
The following 1 user Likes isbelldl's post:
  • Fireball

Against. It sends cows mad and dogs bark all night. And It fades the curtains.
The following 1 user Likes Inkubus's post:
  • Fireball

I'd be more for it if there was some place to spend all that daylight I save!
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]

(03-07-2023, 06:35 PM)c172 Wrote: Love it or hate it, here we go again, springing forward on Sun, Mar 12, 2023 at 2:00 AM.

All it means to me is that the Yankee and Ranger games from New York start at 4 PM local time instead of 5.  It used to be more of a pain in the ass but now that I stream everything I just chromecast it to the family room instead of my office for an hour.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

What if the earthlings just build a second sun, double the daylight.

(03-08-2023, 03:38 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: I'd be more for it if there was some place to spend all that daylight I save!

Invest it.

You know that Carbon Credit slight of hand trick that doesn't actually do anything, apart from making a small number of people a great deal of money. Well why not 'Daylight Credits'. You save, swap, or buy daylight credits then trade them with folk on the other side of the time zone for their nighttime credits.

The cynics will no doubt object and say: 'There's no fucking way people will fall for that!

Tell me again how carbon credits work? Big Grin
The following 1 user Likes Inkubus's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard

Permanent DST works great for me. I hope we move to it year round. I do better then it seems like day lasts longer. I don't get up early, so the appearance of a longer day works for me. Quite frankly, I don't know what to do at 7 am, so I don't get up then. I don't even like "breakfast".

To me, it is an extra hour of light at the end of the day and is way better than one before I get up.

Let me put it another way. I spent 40 years getting up at 5 am to get dressed/showered/etc to drive to meet a carpool at 6 am to get to an office by 7 am. The day I retired, I decided I would never do that again! The first month, I woke up at 5 am as usual (didn't really even need the alarm). I got over that.

Now, I like evening and late-night TV and news and DVDs. And online discussion. Go to bed around 1-3 am regardless of EST/DST. Morning light is lost on me. Hurray for DST!
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...