Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Viva Los Angeles

Viva Los Angeles
Anybody got any general advice for a tourist from Tx visiting Los A for a few days?  Near Koreatown is the easiest description of where we are staying.  Don't plan on getting a rental car; is the public transit complicated or difficult?  If I wanted to go visit the Getty Art museum what is the easiest way?

Viva Los Angeles
Griffith Park, seen in the opening of the first Terminator movie. Bill Paxton gets killed there.

Don't know about public, I only use buses when I'm new in a town. They go where people want to go, so I watch instead of drive.

Black's Beach. ;-)

Studio tours if you're into that.

Watching the sun set over the Pacific is a touristy thing.

Try der Weinerschnitzel hot dogs.

Visit the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Avoid WeHo unless you're into that.

My info is dated, I left there in the '80s.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • jerry mcmasters

Viva Los Angeles
Avoid Pasadena.

Viva Los Angeles
(03-01-2023, 04:08 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Anybody got any general advice for a tourist from Tx visiting Los A for a few days?  Near Koreatown is the easiest description of where we are staying.  Don't plan on getting a rental car; is the public transit complicated or difficult?  If I wanted to go visit the Getty Art museum what is the easiest way?

Without a rental it'll be difficult. Much of what there is to be seen is on the west side, and public transit will be slow. Don't miss visiting USS Iowa in Long Beach.
On hiatus.

Viva Los Angeles
(03-03-2023, 08:34 AM)noblm Wrote: Avoid Pasadena.

Interesting first post.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Viva Los Angeles
(03-01-2023, 12:04 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Black's Beach. ;-)

Is Sandy Eggo nothing but a suburb to you?!!?!!1111one 

Angry

ROFL2
Is this sig thing on?

Viva Los Angeles
Some modern art museum. Perhaps you will finally be indoctrinated into postmodern wokeism and I will have more respect for you.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

Viva Los Angeles
The Holocaust Museum would also be a good stop.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Viva Los Angeles
I've been up to DTLA a bunch; there is a disability trade show at the convention center. Still haven't made it to a game at the indoor arena (Lakers and Clippers NBA, Kings NHL). There is the Grammy Museum on W.Olympic. Kind of cool.
Is this sig thing on?

Viva Los Angeles
Thanks all!  Had a short but fun visit to the big city.  Mainly just did a few of the touristy things.  Love the mass transit system, wish Houston had something like it.  Not crazy about the actual human beings on the mass transit though, well, some of them anyway.  The poverty and homelessness and mental health issues one imagines about LA seem true, it was actually worse than I anticipated.  Not hard understanding why people want to leave there or at least get away from the cities.

GK Wrote:Some modern art museum. Perhaps you will finally be indoctrinated into postmodern wokeism and I will have more respect for you.

I love art and didn't get to see a few of the art museums I wanted (I wanted to mainly accommodate my wife's interests this was kind of her trip) but we visited the LA County museum of contemporary art.  Very nice, they had a representative sample or two or three from pretty much every major artist and art style of the last 130 or so years, and then a couple special exhibits.  It was a lot smaller than I expected.
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus