Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Giving Reps

Giving Reps
How do I give positive reputatuon? 

Epronovost deserves something for being more personable than many of the neuronormatives around here.

Giving Reps
(12-14-2022, 02:43 AM)Vorpal Wrote: How do I give positive reputatuon? 

Epronovost deserves something for being more personable than many of the neuronormatives around here.

Click on his handle and then scroll down to Reputation.
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

Giving Reps
(12-14-2022, 02:47 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(12-14-2022, 02:43 AM)Vorpal Wrote: How do I give positive reputatuon? 

Click on his handle and then scroll down to Reputation.

I can see what other people left but see no way to add anything.
The following 1 user Likes Vorpal's post:
  • Cavebear

Giving Reps
(12-14-2022, 02:52 AM)Vorpal Wrote:
(12-14-2022, 02:47 AM)Cavebear Wrote: Click on his handle and then scroll down to Reputation.

Click my handle.  Scroll down to "reputation" (on the left).   Move the mouse/cursor/whatever over to "rate".  Click 1+.  You will see the difference in my rating by "1".

That should work.

Now do that with Epronovost.

Giving Reps
You are currently negative rep so I think you can't give reps. Persona non reputata.
The following 8 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Cavebear, Dānu, Thumpalumpacus, Inkubus, Dom, rocinantexyz, adey67, skyking

Giving Reps
(12-14-2022, 03:22 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: You are currently negative rep so I think you can't give reps.  Persona non reputata.

OH, I didn't know that. Thanks. And I must apologize to Vorpol about that.

Giving Reps
(12-14-2022, 02:52 AM)Vorpal Wrote:
(12-14-2022, 02:47 AM)Cavebear Wrote: Click on his handle and then scroll down to Reputation.

I erred in my advice.  I didn't know that having a negative rating prevented you from rating others.

Completely my mistake, and I'm sorry about that.  The consequences of a negative rating never occurred to me.

Giving Reps
I guess behavior and the lack of appreciation with the community thereof has caused a large "swooshing" noise. I'd call it a double-edged sword. If my meaning isn't understood, I'm not certain of the count of the "whammy". Vorpal, you have a hole to crawl out of. Maybe this isn't the place for you? Not my call, just an observation. Lots of places on the interwebs to hang out, if one doesn't fit in, or feel like they fit in. Based on what I'm observing, I'm not sure that I even fit in, and I've been here for years. Make of that what you will.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 3 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Cavebear, Thumpalumpacus, Inkubus

Giving Reps
(12-14-2022, 03:36 AM)Fireball Wrote: I guess behavior and the lack of appreciation with the community thereof has caused a large "swooshing" noise. I'd call it a double-edged sword. If my meaning isn't understood, I'm not certain of the count of the "whammy". Vorpal, you have a hole to crawl out of. Maybe this isn't the place for you? Not my call, just an observation. Lots of places on the interwebs to hang out, if one doesn't fit in, or feel like they fit in. Based on what I'm observing, I'm not sure that I even fit in, and I've been here for years. Make of that what you will.

I suspect the 52 Reps means you fit in.  It is I with 20 I wonder about sometimes...  And I am grateful for them all...

Giving Reps
Red rep means no repping, as Jerry said. I prefer giving kudos in the thread itself, myself, if my opinion means anything anyway.
On hiatus.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Inkubus, c172, Cavebear

Giving Reps
(12-14-2022, 03:29 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(12-14-2022, 03:22 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: You are currently negative rep so I think you can't give reps.  Persona non reputata.

OH, I didn't know that.  Thanks.  And I must apologize to Vorpol about that.

Why?

Giving Reps
If only there was a way to create a thread about whatever you want.
The following 1 user Likes no one's post:
  • Fireball

Giving Reps
(12-14-2022, 10:23 AM)no one Wrote: If only there was a way to create a thread about whatever you want.
Yeah.
I'd like to see a thread about how weird space is getting.

Giving Reps
(12-14-2022, 03:01 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(12-14-2022, 02:52 AM)Vorpal Wrote: I can see what other people left but see no way to add anything.

Click my handle.  Scroll down to "reputation" (on the left).   Move the mouse/cursor/whatever over to "rate".  Click 1+.  You will see the difference in my rating by "1".

That should work.

Nice try. You'll have to earn it.

Maybe you deserve one for saving that cat.

Giving Reps
Well that really grinds my gears. I can wear negative rep as a badge.  But, not being able to spread love is a real handicap.

Giving Reps
I tried to spread some love, but was charged with indecent exposure.

Giving Reps
(12-14-2022, 02:22 PM)Vorpal Wrote:
(12-14-2022, 03:01 AM)Cavebear Wrote: Click my handle.  Scroll down to "reputation" (on the left).   Move the mouse/cursor/whatever over to "rate".  Click 1+.  You will see the difference in my rating by "1".

That should work.

Nice try. You'll have to earn it.

The perfect example of "we don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."

In other words: When you're ugly, slimy and inherently dishonest you see the same ugliness, sliminess and dishonesty in others.

[Image: slow-clap-gif-7.gif]
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 3 users Like Vera's post:
  • rocinantexyz, Thumpalumpacus, Szuchow

Giving Reps
(12-14-2022, 04:34 PM)Vera Wrote:
(12-14-2022, 02:22 PM)Vorpal Wrote: Nice try. You'll have to earn it.

The perfect example of "we don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."

In other words: When you're ugly, slimy and inherently dishonest you see the same ugliness, sliminess and dishonesty in others.

[Image: slow-clap-gif-7.gif]

Your first insightful post. You describe the origins of your view of me accurately here.  Keep doing your best

Giving Reps
(12-14-2022, 03:30 PM)no one Wrote: I tried to spread some love, but was charged with indecent exposure.

The exposure wasn't the problem, it was the emissions.

Giving Reps
Neg rep equals no ability to rep others Vorpal, it's designed to stop the rep system from degenerating into a retaliatory shitfest and reward good or group/echo chamber behaviour (depending on your point of view). Sorry bud but rightly or wrongly you are currently persona non grata with regards rep privileges.
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast

Giving Reps
Maybe someone can give epronovost a positive rep in my name?

Giving Reps
A recommendation from a person with a negative rep. would presumably stigmatize the person they were attempting to add reputation too; the opposite of the intended result. I'm guessing that is why it isn't allowed.

Giving Reps
(12-14-2022, 11:06 PM)rocinantexyz Wrote: A recommendation from a person with a negative rep. would presumably stigmatize the person they were attempting to add reputation too; the opposite of the intended result. I'm guessing that is why it isn't allowed.

That's a very oblique interpretation. But, that and perseveration are your hallmarks.

It's very possible negative reps, in addition to or instead of straightforward feedback, are given out of the angst of the repper, irritation with being bettered in debate, jealously, or an attempt to join the bandwagon.  No one wants retaliation from those things.  

I rather think that taking away negative repping but not positive kudos would suffice. Why stop an apostate from doing good works?

Giving Reps
(12-16-2022, 06:07 PM)Vorpal Wrote:
(12-14-2022, 11:06 PM)rocinantexyz Wrote: A recommendation from a person with a negative rep. would presumably stigmatize the person they were attempting to add reputation too; the opposite of the intended result. I'm guessing that is why it isn't allowed.

That's a very oblique interpretation. But, that and perseveration are your hallmarks.

It's very possible negative reps, in addition to or instead of straightforward feedback, are given out of the angst of the repper, irritation with being bettered in debate, jealously, or an attempt to join the bandwagon.  No one wants retaliation from those things.  

I rather think that taking away negative repping but not positive kudos would suffice. Why stop an apostate from doing good works?

It's a holdover from the forum that many members came from. "It's just tradition."
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • rocinantexyz

Giving Reps
(12-14-2022, 05:21 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Red rep means no repping, as Jerry said. I prefer giving kudos in the thread itself, myself, if my opinion means anything anyway.

Kudos in threads are good. But Rep Points last longer. Wink And actually, the more you have, the less it probably matters to one...