Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Regarding Recent Art Vandalism

Two recent events of art vandalism have intrigued me.  Apparently, the purpose wasn't to actually damage the paintings  (one at least was covered by glass) but to get attention.

I appreciate "activism" in a general sense.  Sometimes attention is good to get for a cause.  But it can go too far.  
Maybe those people wanted to actually damage those irreplaceable paintings, I don't know.  And they superglued their hands (one each).

But I know what I would have done as Museum Manager.

1.  Remove the painting for professional cleaning.
2.  Call the museum carpenters to built a plywood box around the superglued vandals.
3.  Put a small glass window in the box at eye-height.
4.  Label the box "Performance Art: Please Do Not Disturb The Artists".
5.  Leave a fancy vase for "Donations to the Art".
6.  Leave them self-glued to the wall for several days.
The following 4 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Dom, Gwaithmir, Kim, Bucky Ball

(10-24-2022, 11:51 PM)Cavebear Wrote: Two recent events of art vandalism have intrigued me.  Apparently, the purpose wasn't to actually damage the paintings  (one at least was covered by glass) but to get attention.

I appreciate "activism" in a general sense.  Sometimes attention is good to get for a cause.  But it can go too far.  
Maybe those people wanted to actually damage those irreplaceable paintings, I don't know.  And they superglued their hands (one each).

2.  Call the museum carpenters to built a plywood box around the superglued vandals.

This is funny. I don't know why they pick art instead of polluting companies or whatever. I guess art gets more attention.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Cavebear, Kim

(10-25-2022, 12:11 AM)Dom Wrote:
(10-24-2022, 11:51 PM)Cavebear Wrote: Two recent events of art vandalism have intrigued me.  Apparently, the purpose wasn't to actually damage the paintings  (one at least was covered by glass) but to get attention.

This is funny. I don't know why they pick art instead of polluting companies or whatever. I guess art gets more attention.

Well, if it was about art, they should have tossed tomato soup at Warhol's 'Tomato Soup, Campbell’s Soup, 1968" .

If it was about damage wouldn't you at least try acids or enzyme cleaners? Not that I would, but "if" as a logical thought... I mean, if you throw something edible at a painting, it probably isn't going to cause any damage.
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Kim

That might be construed as kidnapping, but a funny idea never-the-less.  Chuckle
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Cavebear, Kim

(10-25-2022, 01:00 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:

That might be construed as kidnapping, but a funny idea never-the-less.  Chuckle

I'll just say it would teach a lesson about "symbolism".

I do have to question the superglue.  As plans go, they obviously didn't think things through. Deadpan Coffee Drinker

I mean, fine - they temporarily fucked up some priceless work. Ok.
I would have immediately taken all the shit they brought with them - pull it out of reach.  Not like they could just pull their hands away, once stuck there, right?
 Then, I would have left them there for a while.  They could certainly have their say for a few hours. They'd be given time to get their message out. That's what they're there for, right?

Then, their punishment will be of their own making ...
Show ContentSpoiler:

Hmm

Think this shit through, people. Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Laugh at the art vandalism all you want, we're less than a decade of inaction on climate change away from actual eco-terrorism.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

The following 3 users Like Aegon's post:
  • Kim, Rhythmcs, Alan V