Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"life-long" atheist, but new member of this from.

Hi,

So I consider myself a "life-long" atheist because I never seriously believed in god even though I was raised catholic, it was similar to santa or the easter bunny to me and went away much the same, in fact I was in sixth grade when I told a staff member at my catholic school "god isn't real" lol.

I was active for a short while on TheThinkingAtheist forums, and Seth is certainly a good show host still to this day.

I have had the honor of attending a talk given by Penn Jillette from Penn & Teller at the University of Toronto, promoting his then new book "Everyday is an Atheist Holiday", that was good. It was hosted by CFI.

So yeah Hi, from Niagara Region, Canada.
The following 1 user Likes Twiggy's post:
  • Nay_Sayer

Hi there and welcome!
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

Hello. Smile

Hi Twiggy, welcome to the forum. Smile

Hiyas.
On hiatus.

Welcome! Are you waif-thin?  Smile
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • Gwaithmir

(10-10-2022, 11:58 AM)Fireball Wrote: Welcome! Are you waif-thin?  Smile

I was going to ask the same thing.  Whistling
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • Fireball

♪ Wilkommen, Bienvenu, Welcome ♪
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Hi.  Smile

Quote:it was similar to santa or the easter bunny

Apt analogies.  Welcome aboard.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

[Image: Iconic-face-of-the-1960s-Twiggy-2.jpg]
The following 4 users Like no one's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Fireball, Gwaithmir, skyking

(10-10-2022, 03:16 PM)no one Wrote: [Image: Iconic-face-of-the-1960s-Twiggy-2.jpg]

I saw an interview with Twiggy a couple of years ago. She's 72 now, not as thin of course but she's never had any cosmetic surgery and is quite a fun and interesting person. She removed herself from being a fashion model back in 1970 and hit the Broadway stage dancing and singing. Here she is with Tommy Tune (great dancer!) on Broadway singing "S'Wonderful".  She's not a trained dancer but she does ok.   She's a very smart lady and funny as hell.  

Oh! And Welcome, Twiggy..from Canada!
                                                         T4618

Do I remember you from TTA ?
Test

(10-10-2022, 03:54 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: Do I remember you from TTA ?

I do, faintly and briefly.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Fireball

Welcome, Seth is certainly a talented media presenter but I'm guessing you're not aware of what he did to us and how he did it, it wasn't pretty.
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast

(10-10-2022, 06:19 PM)adey67 Wrote: Welcome, Seth is certainly a talented media presenter but I'm guessing you're not aware of what he did to us and how he did it, it wasn't pretty.

I know he clearly shut the forums down, but I don't know why or how? What exactly happened?

I wasn't active on there for a long while before they got shutdown anyways.

Also, my name on TTA was also Twiggy. At that point in time I had Marilyn Monroe as my profile picture.

I posted a bit about Satanism, Madalyn Murray O'Hair, and some other things.

Welcome aboard!

(10-10-2022, 08:26 PM)Twiggy Wrote:
(10-10-2022, 06:19 PM)adey67 Wrote: Welcome, Seth is certainly a talented media presenter but I'm guessing you're not aware of what he did to us and how he did it, it wasn't pretty.

I know he clearly shut the forums down, but I don't know why or how? What exactly happened?

I wasn't active on there for a long while before they got shutdown anyways.

Also, my name on TTA was also Twiggy. At that point in time I had Marilyn Monroe as my profile picture.

I posted a bit about Satanism, Madalyn Murray O'Hair, and some other things.

Basically right out of the blue he decided to shut the forum, he wanted to do it immediately but the admins begged him to give us some time which he (apparently reluctantly) did do. The day of the closure we were supposed to have up to midnight GMT before we were switched off but some hours before that he had a hissy fit and pulled the plug early, I suspect because he didn't like some of the things we wrote about him. He never gave a compelling reason for the closure just some guff about how it didn't fit his new business model, this all happened shortly after he became a full time atheist activist so I guess the forum was either costing too much or he got no benefits from it or maybe both.  The way he went about it was not nice and extremely dismissive, he didn't even have the decency to make a post to the forum himself he hid behind the administrator he also refused to let us keep any archives of the learning materials some members who were talented scholars had painstakingly gathered and put together and he's a massive hypocrite because he projects this image on his podcasts and lectures of being this folksy, benign "aww shucks" midwestern guy who frequently talked about his followers being a community and like family but the reality is he's a hard nosed businessman who certainly had no problems or qualms about throwing us under the bus. Anyway we survived and now we're here. The last laugh was on him though because his Google rating plummeted following the closure, he forgot to take into account just how much internet traffic the forum was sending his way.
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast
The following 1 user Likes adey67's post:
  • Minimalist

Welcome Twiggy.
test signature

Thanks, Adey.  I didn't know any of that either.

What a prick.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • adey67

Howdy Twiggy.

Welcome! Glad you joined us here.

Hello comrade.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • Twiggy