Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Definition of Atheism

Definition of Atheism
I get the distinct feeling we are the lab rats for someones dissertation/thesis. They could just have asked though.
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast
The following 4 users Like adey67's post:
  • Free, Inkubus, GenesisNemesis, skyking

Definition of Atheism
(10-30-2021, 06:19 PM)adey67 Wrote: I get the distinct feeling we are the lab rats for someones dissertation/thesis. They could just have asked though.

If that's the case, they're going to have to re-write it.
Test
The following 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Alan V, Thumpalumpacus, GenesisNemesis, skyking

Definition of Atheism
(10-30-2021, 06:19 PM)adey67 Wrote: I get the distinct feeling we are the lab rats for someones dissertation/thesis. They could just have asked though.

The Universe: "bold of you to assume agency as the cause of your existence..."

Personally, I think pure randomness explains just about everything going on right now and human history.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Definition of Atheism
(10-30-2021, 09:54 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:

The Universe: "bold of you to assume agency as the cause of your existence..."

Personally, I think pure randomness explains just about everything going on right now and human history.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker

There's a reason the butterfly metaphor was composed. There's randomness around every corner -- "a fortune hunt that's far too fleet."
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, SYZ

Definition of Atheism
I hope she doesn't forget to sacrifice a goat to Apollo.  The guy has a mean temper when he gets pissed.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, skyking

Definition of Atheism
(10-29-2021, 07:38 AM)MissThundra86 Wrote: Hello guys,

So it turns out that the definition of atheism as "lack of belief in god(s)" is almost non existent in the field of philosophy itself.
In almost all the encyclopedia & dictionaries of philosophy and amongst philosophers and in academia the standard definition of atheism is " the belief/view that there is no god(s)" or put in another way "The proposition that God(s) do not exist."

You can check
Stanford encyclopedia of philosophy( one of the most cited encyclopedia of philosophy)

Routledge encyclopedia of philosophy

Internet encyclopedia of philosophy

Encyclopedia Britannica

ismbook.com/ism-list/

The oxford companion to philosophy

oxford dictionary of philosophy

Blackwell dictionary of western philosophy

Cambridge dictionary of philosophy (the only dictionary to include the none-standard definition in a positive light but it itself holds to the standard definition as it's preferred one)

and so on

And it's what noting that the standard definition in this dictionaries/encyclopedias are written by atheist philosophers themselves.

So amongst the vast majorities dictionaries of philosophy and within philosophical discourse itself, the standard definition is used. 

That I think begs the question why the vast majority of people on the internet and atheist activists still chose to insist that atheism is simply " the lack of belief in god(s)"? A definition that's almost none existent in academia itself.

Sorry, but your encyclopedias and dictionaries of philosophy can get fucked. I hold no belief in gawd(s) whatsoever. Having said that, I make absolutely no claims on their non-existence. I find them all to be highly unlikely, especially those of that Abrahamic variety, but i do not claim they do not exist.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 3 users Like TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • adey67, Thumpalumpacus, SYZ

Definition of Atheism
hey @mordant
I'm running low on cooties can I borrow a cup?
test signature

Definition of Atheism

So it turns out that the definition of atheism as "lack of belief in god(s)" is almost non existent in the field of philosophy itself.
In almost all the encyclopedia & dictionaries of philosophy and amongst philosophers and in academia the standard definition of atheism is " the belief/view that there is no god(s)" or put in another way "The proposition that God(s) do not exist."

And it's what noting that the standard definition in this dictionaries/encyclopedias are written by atheist philosophers themselves.

So amongst the vast majorities dictionaries of philosophy and within philosophical discourse itself, the standard definition is used. 

That I think begs the question why the vast majority of people on the internet and atheist activists still chose to insist that atheism is simply " the lack of belief in god(s)"? A definition that's almost none existent in academia itself.

The two definitions seem pretty close...It seems like the game mousetrap, where if you say one you're okay but if you say the other a plastic philosophical cage rattles down on top of you.  Like AHA!  GOTCHA!  I think for myself I...[looks up nervously]...believe there are no gods...?
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • adey67

Definition of Atheism
(10-30-2021, 10:10 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: ... There's randomness around every corner -- "a fortune hunt that's far too fleet."

That's so clever... did that come to you all of a rush?    Whistling
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 2 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Kim

Definition of Atheism
I think so, that's why he highlighted it. Tongue
The following 1 user Likes Inkubus's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Definition of Atheism
Miss T. needs to look up a couple words.
Equivocation and reification.
Test

Definition of Atheism
Why do you ask OP? You seem to have your mind set on a definition so go with that.
Praise be to FSM.
The following 1 user Likes Nay_Sayer's post:
  • Bucky Ball

Definition of Atheism
I spent 14 years at Purdue and was never terribly impress with the scholars there. Or elsewhere. I believe gods as phantasmagoria invented to avoid whistling in the dark. And just as important.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 3 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Kim, Thumpalumpacus, Peebothuhlu

Definition of Atheism
(10-31-2021, 02:22 PM)skyking Wrote: hey @mordant
I'm running low on cooties can I borrow a cup?

You have cooties ? OMG
Test

Definition of Atheism
(10-31-2021, 12:17 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: I find them all to be highly unlikely, especially those of that Abrahamic variety, but i do not claim they do not exist.

Apart from not believing in any deity, I find every god concept favoring humans to be highly unlikely. Humans are but a fly's fart in the universe's history. If there was some higher being creating everything, they certainly wouldn't look out for the newcomers.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The following 3 users Like abaris's post:
  • Kim, TheGentlemanBastard, Deesse23

Definition of Atheism
Quote:In almost all the encyclopedia & dictionaries of philosophy and amongst philosophers and in academia the standard definition of atheism is " the belief/view that there is no god(s)" or put in another way "The proposition that God(s) do not exist."

Ultimately it depends on how you're looking at it - the latter there is "the belief that there is no gods" - but "belief" itself is something you have when you have no evidence something exists - in this case, like believing in santa or literally anything else that is made up. 

For me its not "I propose that no god exists" but more "I have no evidence to tell me one does exist, so on that basis I have come to the conclusion there isn't one [or more]" - this then includes the knowledge you pick up over the years understanding/researching all religions, not just Christianity, because most atheists will do that - look at what we have and say ".....no" .

So I straight up go off of the dictionary definition - "A lack of belief in a god or gods".
The following 1 user Likes OakTree500's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Definition of Atheism
I am not defined by words, but by actions.
So today I will:

1) Brutally attack innocent little old ladies.
II) Cook 11 babies
C) Make a hat out of kittens
The following 2 users Like no one's post:
  • adey67, Dancefortwo

Definition of Atheism
(11-03-2021, 12:29 PM)no one Wrote: I am not defined by words, but by actions.
So today I will:

1) Brutally attack innocent little old ladies.
II) Cook 11 babies
C) Make a hat out of kittens

I've only ever cooked 3 babies, I only have a small oven, (probably should use the barbecue)
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast

Definition of Atheism

Semantics. You're trying to prove some kind of a point by arguing the semantics of a phrase or even, when it comes down to it, a single word. That word being "lack". So what exactly is the point of doing that? It's not even important enough to many of us who just live our lives as humanists. Heck, most Christians I know can't even follow the teachings of Christ they seem to hold so near and dear to their hearts on Sundays. 

Whether it's a "lack of a belief in a god or gods" or a simple "gods do not exist" really is a moot point. I personally have yet to see evidence of any kind of a god and really, since you don't know me, that's all you need to know.
      Christianity: 
God meddles in the affairs of humans in a small part the Earth for 1500 years, giving one tribal society rules to live by.
He stops all direct contact for the next 2,000 years, leaving us with a metaphorical set of instructions.
The following 1 user Likes Joods's post:
  • Peebothuhlu

Definition of Atheism

You can check
Stanford encyclopedia of philosophy( one of the most cited encyclopedia of philosophy)

Routledge encyclopedia of philosophy

Internet encyclopedia of philosophy

Encyclopedia Britannica

ismbook.com/ism-list/

The oxford companion to philosophy

oxford dictionary of philosophy

Blackwell dictionary of western philosophy

Cambridge dictionary of philosophy (the only dictionary to include the none-standard definition in a positive light but it itself holds to the standard definition as it's preferred one)

and so on

There are types of atheist.  Some belief stuff that I would classify as flawed as theist belief.  Like some of the Buddhist stuff.  Or atheist that believe in ghost and stuff.

Their reasoning is as flawed as many theist.

Then list personality types or studies on how people think.  Then list how you think those people would express their atheism or theism.  Toss in personality disorders.  How would theist or atheist express their faith having a personality disorder? 

Can reasonable atheist and theist get along?  Or is it "my deity only" and "we must deny anything theist can use" the ones really in the way of progress?

Definition of Atheism
(11-03-2021, 09:07 PM)Scoop Wrote: There are types of atheist.  Some belief stuff that I would classify as flawed as theist belief.  Like some of the Buddhist stuff.  Or atheist that believe in ghost and stuff.

Or maybe some atheists like fucking with pollsters.

Quote:At the last census in 2001 there was a campaign to encourage people to answer the question with Jedi, and around 330,000 did so. But the force is apparently on the wane according to Tuesday's figures with 176,632 describing themselves as Jedi Knights.

A fine counter to the loaded question: What is your religion?

Quote:Then list personality types or studies on how people think.  Then list how you think those people would express their atheism or theism.  Toss in personality disorders.  How would theist or atheist express their faith having a personality disorder?

Allow me to simplify this for you.

Right down on a piece of paper the name of the god you believe in, if you can't do that you're an atheist.
Or to simplify it even further, what is your stance on Leprechauns?

Definition of Atheism
(11-03-2021, 09:07 PM)Scoop Wrote: There are types of atheist.  Some belief stuff that I would classify as flawed as theist belief.  Like some of the Buddhist stuff.  Or atheist that believe in ghost and stuff.

What about atheist who apparently doesn't "believe" in anthropogenic climate change 'cause climate always be changing, Sumerians, yadda yadda? Deadpan Coffee Drinker
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 

Definition of Atheism
(11-04-2021, 11:18 AM)Vera Wrote:

What about atheist who apparently doesn't "believe" in anthropogenic climate change 'cause climate always be changing, Sumerians, yadda yadda? Deadpan Coffee Drinker

This is a good example of the trouble with faith, beliefs, and personal bias.

actually I do believe humans are the primary cause today.  So you are not stating my belief correctly. 

If we discussed how I formed my belief (not 100% sure but pretty sure) that its humans  you would see that.  The "yadda yadda yadda" are the actual statements used to say that.  You focused on me saying the climate is always changing. For some reason you don't like that statement.  I don't think it being true is weighted as high for you as it is me.  Or maybe that truth is seen as a obstacle for you. Is it?

For rational people, both statements can be true.  The climate is always changing and humans look as if they are the primary cause today.  We can apply this logic to beliefs about our position on this planet. 

Some people can't really process two true statements if one is seen as an obstacle for a goal.  Weather they are theist or atheist usually doesn't matter.

Definition of Atheism
(11-04-2021, 02:22 AM)Inkubus Wrote:

Or maybe some atheists like fucking with pollsters.

Quote:At the last census in 2001 there was a campaign to encourage people to answer the question with Jedi, and around 330,000 did so. But the force is apparently on the wane according to Tuesday's figures with 176,632 describing themselves as Jedi Knights.

A fine counter to the loaded question: What is your religion?

Quote:Then list personality types or studies on how people think.  Then list how you think those people would express their atheism or theism.  Toss in personality disorders.  How would theist or atheist express their faith having a personality disorder?

Allow me to simplify this for you.

Right down on a piece of paper the name of the god you believe in, if you can't do that you're an atheist.
Or to simplify it even further, what is your stance on Leprechauns?

Yup. Very true.   And people express their atheism differently.

I look at some people's processes for forming beliefs and see some serous flaws in them.  For example some Buddhist type stuff.  Some believe in ghosts, spirits, past lives, and other stuff that I would see as flawed as some theist. I look at people that say they don't have to make any claims and all  they have to do is just sit around and tell others they are wrong for years of posting.

Yeah, they are atheist.

Definition of Atheism
(11-04-2021, 02:22 AM)Inkubus Wrote: ... what is your stance on Leprechauns?

All of them were incinerated as the sun ignited:

[Image: the_end_of_the_rainbow.png]
The following 4 users Like TinyDave's post:
  • Alan V, skyking, Paleophyte, Peebothuhlu