Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You should smile more!

You should smile more!
Damn men, forcing women to smile more and look like *they* want them to...

... even in bloody art Dodgy

Restoration work wipes smile off the face of Dutch vegetable seller

"At some point in the last 400 years a painting restorer probably decided the Dutch vegetable seller was far too glum and should be smiling. Now it has been put right and she is once again enigmatic.

English Heritage revealed the results on Friday of a two-year conservation project to reveal the true glory of a mysterious, unsigned painting that has been in its stores for more than 60 years.

The restoration work not only reveals the rogue addition of an upturned smile, but also a jarring strip of dirty sky added to make the canvas square rather than rectangular.

"The results of the project were a revelation, said Alice Tate-Harte, English Heritage’s collections conservator. “The smile is such a change. She looks a lot more confronting I think, more serious.”

One of the biggest decisions was to remove a strip of canvas with a poorly painted tower and sky that was added in the 19th century, probably to make the work fit a square frame.

“It seems quite a crazy thing to do. Why not find a frame that fitted? But this did happen an awful lot in country houses”, said Tate-Harte. “Conservation wasn’t really established back in the 19th century so people had a lot more freedom to do these things.” (apparently, instagram's idiotic insistence that pictures me square ain't even theirs! Dodgy )

[Image: 2572.jpg?width=445&quality=45&auto=forma...078004cf2c]

[Image: 5213.jpg?width=445&quality=45&auto=forma...f8345b232b]
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 6 users Like Vera's post:
  • Alan V, GenesisNemesis, Astreja, Inkubus, Tres Leches, Kim

You should smile more!
Given her position in society she probably didn't have a lot to smile about.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Kim

You should smile more!
I've been told to smile more twice. Once in high school a girl told me to smile, and another time recently at work by a German dude. I'm trying to avoid the German dude at work now. Bastard even had the gall to ask me why I don't want to smile. "Why don't you fuck off", that's why.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 7 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Gwaithmir, c172, Deesse23, julep, Szuchow, Astreja, Inkubus

You should smile more!
(07-16-2021, 01:31 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: I've been told to smile more twice. Once in high school a girl told me to smile, and another time recently at work by a German dude. I'm trying to avoid the German dude at work now.

I'm not trying to derail this thread, but this brings to mind several experiences I had when I attended 5th grade in Catholic school. Sr. Mary Simon was always trying to get me to smile, and yet, in that depressing educational system, I was in a constant state of ennui and had nothing to smile about.
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, c172, Inkubus, Kim

You should smile more!
(07-16-2021, 01:47 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:
(07-16-2021, 01:31 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: I've been told to smile more twice. Once in high school a girl told me to smile, and another time recently at work by a German dude. I'm trying to avoid the German dude at work now.

I'm not trying to derail this thread, but this brings to mind several experiences I had when I attended 5th grade in Catholic school. Sr. Mary Simon was always trying to get me to smile, and yet, in that depressing educational system, I was in a constant state of ennui and had nothing to smile about.

I read the title and thought that was going to be the content of this thread! I think it would be a worthy thread! I have my opinions for such a thread!

As for what this thread is about, this makes me lose faith in art! Not really, I guess, but I could never be a collector. Van Gogh lover that I am (or at least was before this thread), I could never want an original. A poster is easier to take care of and dispose of. I don't think I've even been in an art gallery since 1998 or so, and it was just a student computer art showing at Sac State.

Being an art restorer (at least rank and file if not coordinator) must be a hellaceous job. I wonder what minutiae goes into methodologies and protocols used for restoration. And what sort of debate there is within the restoration community.
Is this sig thing on?
The following 2 users Like c172's post:
  • Vera, GenesisNemesis

You should smile more!
I'm pretty easy (though not too sure about easily pretty  Tongue ) - far as I'm concerned, people can talk about whatever they want, esp. in my thread... EXCEPT for bringing certain people who shall remain nameless but orange into every single conversation. Other than this, I ain't bothered by much [Image: R.5c806ce9d9566fc5fbe0fbe91d58fa4b?rik=n...pid=ImgRaw]

(07-16-2021, 02:06 PM)c172 Wrote: Van Gogh lover

Saw these only yesterday.

“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 8 users Like Vera's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Deesse23, Dānu, c172, Astreja, Inkubus, Gwaithmir, Kim

You should smile more!
Smiling is for the weak!
The following 2 users Like no one's post:
  • Alan V, Inkubus

You should smile more!
(07-16-2021, 02:06 PM)c172 Wrote:
(07-16-2021, 01:47 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:

I read the title and thought that was going to be the content of this thread! I think it would be a worthy thread! I have my opinions for such a thread!

I have to rant about it whenever the subject is referenced.  Tongue
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • c172

You should smile more!
[Image: keep-smiling-it-makes-people-wonder-what.jpg]
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Inkubus, Gwaithmir

You should smile more!
The restored artwork is far more interesting and beautiful to look at. The altered, anodyne version with the Disney-esque smile doesn't look like most, or even any other, art I've viewed from that period.

As for "smile!" - my behavior, looks, and appearance have been policed since I was about 10 years old and nearly always by males, sadly. My own kid is encountering this now too. Fortunately I'm experienced enough to spot from a mile away the ones who can't keep quiet and can successfully avoid them or toss a sneer.

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom

You should smile more!
(07-16-2021, 11:04 AM)Vera Wrote: [Image: 2572.jpg?width=445&quality=45&auto=forma...078004cf2c]

[Image: 5213.jpg?width=445&quality=45&auto=forma...f8345b232b]

Gave her brest reconstructive surgery, as well. Nod

Beautiful restoration work! The "makeovers" made the work look flat. Now, she looks like a real person and the whole image is much more appealing. Shy