Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The SCOTUS Chronicles (topical thread)

At some point sic semper tyrannis is only viable answer to fascism. Both Poland and USA are approaching this point if they aren't already there.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 2 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Tres Leches

(09-03-2021, 01:43 PM)Szuchow Wrote: At some point sic semper tyrannis is only viable answer to fascism. Both Poland and USA are approaching this point if they aren't already there.

Agree with the general sentiment ... but Texas is not the USA.
This law would not fly in most of the US, ... and the events of the past week simply demonstrate the stupidity and
irrelevance of the Roberts court, that *that* is getting worse, ... and that Alito/gang are more stupid and cranky than they ever were.
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(09-03-2021, 02:49 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(09-03-2021, 01:43 PM)Szuchow Wrote: At some point sic semper tyrannis is only viable answer to fascism. Both Poland and USA are approaching this point if they aren't already there.

It isn't. But what happened once can happen again or in that case elsewhere. 

Quote:This law would not fly in most of the US, ... and the events of the past week simply demonstrate the stupidity and
irrelevance of the Roberts court, that *that* is getting worse, ... and that Alito/gang are more stupid and cranky than they ever were.

Maybe not but one can't be too careful.

Socrates.
  • Thumpalumpacus, Tres Leches

I personally believe this law, and the laws attempting to suppress the poor non-white vote, will haunt the Republicans. If the Dems play it smart, they can get mid-term turnout in 2022 as the rich white Republicans are busy eroding the rights of women and non-whites. The GOP has 22 of the 34 Senate seats up for grabs. The Republicans are in essence pushing these demographics out of their party.

I think there could be a similar effect as in 2018, when the Kavanaugh hearings galvanized the female vote and they in turn gave the Dems the House.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Bucky Ball

This law would not fly in most of the US, ... and the events of the past week simply demonstrate the stupidity and

From an article by Forbes: 

In addition to South Carolina, the next states to move forward with Texas-style abortion legislation could be Arizona and Ohio, abortion rights groups that track state policy predicted to Politico, along with other states that have previously passed fetal heartbeat bills like Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas and North Dakota.

florida-lawmakers-suggest-theyll-copy-texas-abortion-ban-and-other-gop-states-will-likely-follow

I also heard, I think on CNN, that South Dakota is looking into revising its law with Texas elements. 

I believe if this isn't squashed, abortions will be effectively banned in the majority of states within a couple of years. First it will be six weeks. At some point the state legislatures will add Plan B and all chemical birth control. And criminal investigations into miscarriages, etc. 

Then...maybe...travel restrictions for women so that they can't get an abortion in one of the ungodly states, and general tightening of what women of fertile age can do with their bodies--what kinds of jobs they're allowed to hold, how much non-child-related "stress" they're allowed to assume, etc. We'll have our very own Taliban. (Well, we already do, but it will be more widespread and have some kind of patriotic name)
god, ugh
The following 4 users Like julep's post:
  • Szuchow, Thumpalumpacus, Dānu, Tres Leches

(09-03-2021, 03:12 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I personally believe this law, and the laws attempting to suppress the poor non white vote, will haunt the Republicans. If the Dems play it smart, they can get mid-term turnout in 2022 as the rich white Republicans are busy eroding the rights of women and non whites. The GOP has 22 of the 34 Senate seats up for grabs.

I think there could be a similar effect as in 2018, when the Kavanaugh hearings galvanized the female vote and they in turn gave the Dems the House.

I think you're right.  Telling women what to do in 2021 doesn't work anymore.  It's only within the Evangelical and Fundimentalist communities that that works and they want the rest of the world to be the way they are.  But what I notice about Fundi's and Evangelicals and the politicans that represent them, is a total lack of humor or imagination or forthought.  I mean, if I started a website that allowed people to rat on others anonymously I would see the pitfalls and problems almost immediately not because I'm super smart about websites but because I, like most everyone on this forum, know how people think and behave.  Jesuschrist, beyond being super controlling of women's lives they are also really dumb.
                                                         T4618

(09-03-2021, 03:23 PM)julep Wrote:

In addition to South Carolina, the next states to move forward with Texas-style abortion legislation could be Arizona and Ohio, abortion rights groups that track state policy predicted to Politico, along with other states that have previously passed fetal heartbeat bills like Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas and North Dakota.

florida-lawmakers-suggest-theyll-copy-texas-abortion-ban-and-other-gop-states-will-likely-follow

I also heard, I think on CNN, that South Dakota is looking into revising its law with Texas elements. 

I believe if this isn't squashed, abortions will be effectively banned in the majority of states within a couple of years. First it will be six weeks. At some point the state legislatures will add Plan B and all chemical birth control. And criminal investigations into miscarriages, etc. 

Then...maybe...travel restrictions for women so that they can't get an abortion in one of the ungodly states, and general tightening of what women of fertile age can do with their bodies--what kinds of jobs they're allowed to hold, how much non-child-related "stress" they're allowed to assume, etc. We'll have our very own Taliban. (Well, we already do, but it will be more widespread and have some kind of patriotic name)

Some people don't grasp that "Handmaid's Tale" wasn't manual on how to build perfect society.

Socrates.
  • Thumpalumpacus, Dancefortwo

(09-03-2021, 03:27 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: I think you're right.  Telling women what to do in 2021 doesn't work anymore.  It's only within the Evangelical and Fundimentalist communities that that works and they want the rest of the world to be the way they are.  But what I notice about Fundi's and Evangelicals and the politicans that represent them, is a total lack of humor or imagination or forthought.  I mean, if I started a website that allowed people to rat on others anonymously I would see the pitfalls and problems almost immediately not because I'm super smart about websites but because I, like most everyone on this forum, know how people think and behave.  Jesuschrist, beyond being super controlling of women's lives they are also really dumb.

Regarding this law in particular, if I were the campaign manager for any Democrat candidate, I would frame it as "My Republican opponent supports anonymous accusations to repress people with different views. So did Joe Stalin. Do you really want a Red state?" Or: "My Republican opponent supports making women and minorities second-class citizens. Vote to defend your rights. Vote for me." "My Republican opponent values his right to own a gun more than he values your right to vote/control your own body".

It's amazing that Republicans across the country aren't really seeing this danger. Here in Texas and other deep-red states my tactics above probably won't work well, though they might drive higher turnout and result in state legislatures swinging a little.

Point being, I'd hammer them on this until the cows came home, were fed and bedded, and my dog was curled at my feet.
On hiatus.
  • Minimalist, Dancefortwo

(09-03-2021, 03:35 PM)Szuchow Wrote: Some people don't grasp that "Handmaid's Tale" wasn't manual on how to build perfect society.

As she sarcastically remarked in several interviews:

Her sarcasm was well and duly-founded.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Szuchow

(09-03-2021, 04:55 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(09-03-2021, 03:35 PM)Szuchow Wrote: Some people don't grasp that "Handmaid's Tale" wasn't manual on how to build perfect society.

As she sarcastically remarked in several interviews:

Her sarcasm was well and duly-founded.

Certain segment of population have authoritarian views so it's no surprise that oppressive shithole looks nice to them.

Regarding the song title - when I hear "it can't happen here" I instantly assume that it can happen here. In fact I deem possibility of it happening higher than before hearing such phrase.

Socrates.
The following 3 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, julep, Tres Leches

In Texass it has already happened and much of the rest of Dumbfuckistan will follow suit.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

And here's the thing about the "heartbeat" bill that is such crap.  I took this from someone who posted it on Reddit who got it from an NPR interview with a doctor.  

Quote: The Texas abortion law that has just gone into effect says that, quote, "a physician may not knowingly perform or induce an abortion on a pregnant woman if the physician detected a fetal heartbeat for the unborn child," unquote. So what is a fetal heartbeat? NPR's Selena Simmons-Duffin reports it is not as simple as it may sound.
SELENA SIMMONS-DUFFIN, BYLINE: When a doctor holds a stethoscope up to someone's chest, it sounds like this. (SOUNDBITE OF HEART BEATING) SIMMONS-DUFFIN: What is making that sound?
NISHA VERMA: The opening and closing of the cardiac valve.
SIMMONS-DUFFIN: That is Dr. Nisha Verma of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. And she says the sound that you would hear with an ultrasound in very early pregnancy is different.
VERMA: At six weeks of gestation, those valves don't exist. And so the flickering that we're seeing on the ultrasound that early in the development of the pregnancy is actually electrical activity. And the sound that you hear is actually manufactured by the ultrasound
JENNIFER KERNS: In no way is this detecting a functional cardiovascular system or a functional heart. And so the term fetal heartbeat is pretty misleading when we're talking about what is detected early in pregnancy.
SIMMONS-DUFFIN: Kerns says fetal heartbeat might be used in conversations with patients, but it's not actually a clinical term.

But these idiot pro-life people (who refuse to wear a maks to save the life of other human beings) don't listen to science, don't trust science, don't understand science and this heartbeat bill is based on a stupid interpretation of science by a bunch of zealots and religious nuts who have an agenda.
                                                         T4618
The following 4 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Szuchow, Dānu, SYZ, Inkubus

(09-03-2021, 05:00 PM)Szuchow Wrote: Regarding the song title - when I hear "it can't happen here" I instantly assume that it can happen here. In fact I deem possibility of it happening higher than before hearing such phrase.

That's exactly the point of the song, the sarcasm. The lyrics:

Quote:Contaminated fish and micro chips
Huge supertankers on Arabian trips
Oily propaganda from the leaders' lips
All about the future

There's people over here, people over there
Everybody's looking for a little more air
Crossing all the borders just to take their share
Planning for the future

And we're so abused, and we're so confused
It's easy to believe that someone's gonna light the fuse
Can't happen here, can't happen here
All that you fear they're telling you, can't happen here

Supersonic planes for a holiday boom
Rio de Janeiro in an afternoon
People out of work but there's people on the moon
Looking for the future

Concrete racetracks nationwide
Juggernauts carving up the countryside
Cars by the million on a one way ride
Using up the future

It's easy to believe that someone's gonna light the fuse
All that you fear they're telling you, can't happen here

Satellites spying for the CIA
The KGB and the men in grey
Wonder if I'm gonna see another day
Somewhere in the future

We got everything we need for a peaceful time
Take what you want but you can't take mine
Everybody's living on the Siegfried line
Worried 'bout the future

It's so easy to believe that someone's gonna light it
Easy to believe someone's gonna light the fuse

All that you fear they're telling you, can't happen here can it?

It's an old song, and they had no idea about global warming in that time, but the point -- that complacency is the enemy -- is sent up as satire in the title and lyrics.
On hiatus.
  • Inkubus, Szuchow

I can't access the form to fill out on the stupid wistleblower snitch site.  Is it so jammed up the form isn't showing?  Has anyone else tried to fill out a form?   I have the names of a few staff people from a couple anti-abortion mega churches that I'd like to fill in.
                                                         T4618

A tech type suggested reporting them to GoDaddy which hosts the web site.  They have a rule about not posting anyone's personal info without their consent.

Of course, eventually they'll find a host in Hungary or Alabama which is pro-fascist but they won't have the reach of GoDaddy.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(09-03-2021, 03:12 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I personally believe this law, and the laws attempting to suppress the poor non-white vote, will haunt the Republicans. If the Dems play it smart, they can get mid-term turnout in 2022 as the rich white Republicans are busy eroding the rights of women and non-whites. The GOP has 22 of the 34 Senate seats up for grabs. The Republicans are in essence pushing these demographics out of their party.

You might be surprised at how many non-white Americans lean conservative, though. Most of my Latino friends and family members are Catholic and while they don't go to Mass every Sunday they lean conservative on social issues like abortion rights. American Blacks and Asians also often don't fit in with the idea that immigrants and non-whites are Democratic.

Latinos are Republican. They just don't know it yet.
-Ronald Reagan
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom

(09-03-2021, 03:23 PM)julep Wrote:

I certainly hope it doesn't go that far but I wouldn't put anything past the right wing extremists right now.
What many people don't realize is that the anti-abortion people have been playing their version of 3 dimensional chess in plain view for the last half century to take down Roe v. Wade. There are already trigger laws on the books in a number of states. If/ when the concept of "fetal personhood" is legally enacted by the US Supreme Court, those anti-abortion laws will automatically and quickly go into effect.

I listened to a radio show on NPR today called The Takeaway and they talked about the Jane Collective which was a group that performed thousands of abortions between 1969 and 1973. The group's members mobilized to spread the word about their services and get women to safe abortion procedures. This was all in a time when answering machines didn't even exist, much less phone apps like TikTok and reddit, yet they had the will and found a way to assist women and their partners. I reckon these underground services will pop up again, if they haven't already.

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 1 user Likes Tres Leches's post:
  • Szuchow

There is ultimately only one solution here.

Women of Texas, read Aristophanes "Lysistrata" and apply the lesson to the moronic men running that fucking state. 

Quote:“Lysistrata” is a bawdy anti-war comedy by the ancient Greek playwright Aristophanes, first staged in 411 BCE. It is the comic account of one woman’s extraordinary mission to end the Peloponnesian War, as Lysistrata convinces the women of Greece to withhold sexual privileges from their husbands as a means of forcing the men to negotiate a peace. Some consider it his greatest work, and it is probably the most anthologized.

Tell them to stick that thing up their own asses.

And as a follow up to Posts #89 and 90.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/3/226561...owing-site

Quote:GoDaddy is cutting off Texas Right to Life’s abortion ‘whistleblowing’ website

The web host gave the Texas anti-abortion group 24 hours to find a new home

Quote:However, it now looks like Texas Right to Life may have trouble keeping a home on the web, because hosting provider GoDaddy has given the group 24 hours to find a different place to park its website. “We have informed prolifewhistleblower.com they have 24 hours to move to another provider for violating our terms of service,” a spokesperson told The New York Times and The Verge.

Cue nazi fuckheads screaming about being "cancelled" in 3.....  2......   1......
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • julep, Fireball, Szuchow

(09-03-2021, 07:05 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: I can't access the form to fill out on the stupid wistleblower snitch site.  Is it so jammed up the form isn't showing?  Has anyone else tried to fill out a form?   I have the names of a few staff people from a couple anti-abortion mega churches that I'd like to fill in.

I did, as mentioned earlier. I used the same link provided upthread. Last night for me it was nonfunctional, but it worked this morning.

It's opening for me today, but apparently for my facetious report I'm blocked.

Quote:Block details:
Your IP: 70.112.150.237
URL: prolifewhistleblower.com/anonymous-form/
Your Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/93.0.4577.63 Safari/537.36
Block ID: PAR010
Block reason: Your request was not allowed (site lock down mode).
Time: 2021-09-03 18:00:49
Server ID: 12004

I guess I'll use the burner tomorrow when I'm down in Bee Cave. First move should be to d/l a proxy.

Anyway, it seems like they're getting a handle on it.
On hiatus.

Hopefully, it won't be long before "Support women and women's rights ... boycott everything Texan" takes hold across the US.
Money is one thing they understand. Other states considering this can think twice.
Test

(09-03-2021, 11:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: Hopefully, it won't be long before "Support women and women's rights ... boycott everything Texan" takes hold across the US.
Money is one thing they understand. Other states considering this can think twice.

It's a nice thought and I'm onboard with it, but fracking in the Permian basin, and the Dakotas, is why our gasoline is so cheap. You can't really know if the gas you pump into your car is Texan or Alaskan or what-have-you. Or was it simply imported and refined there? Buying that gasoline is still paying into the Texas economy.

The high-tech industry around here is insane as well. AMD making chips, Apple writing software, and lord knows how many other tech giants up in Round Rock, or D/FW, or Apple's plans for Bastrop. I think it'd be really hard to fraction out Texas from any expenditures any American might make. GM makes cars in the Metroplex. One of the beer giants has a brewery in Fort Worth that looks like a goddamned oil refinery.

I'm down with this boycott all the same, even though it will hurt me directly. I don't think many Americans can actually get that granular, though.
On hiatus.

GoDaddy has booted the wistleblower site off for violating their privacy rules.  Thery're giving them 24 hours to find another host.  I hope they have major problems finding a host. 

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021...comments=1
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Bucky Ball, Thumpalumpacus

(09-03-2021, 11:44 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(09-03-2021, 11:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: Hopefully, it won't be long before "Support women and women's rights ... boycott everything Texan" takes hold across the US.

It's a nice thought and I'm onboard with it, but fracking in the Permian basin, and the Dakotas, is why our gasoline is so cheap. You can't really know if the gas you pump into your car is Texan or Alaskan or what-have-you. Or was it simply imported and refined there? Buying that gasoline is still paying into the Texas economy.

The high-tech industry around here is insane as well. AMD making chips, Apple writing software, and lord knows how many other tech giants up in Round Rock, or D/FW, or Apple's plans for Bastrop. I think it'd be really hard to fraction out Texas from any expenditures any American might make. GM makes cars in the Metroplex. One of the beer giants has a brewery in Fort Worth that looks like a goddamned oil refinery.

I'm down with this boycott all the same, even though it will hurt me directly. I don't think many Americans can actually get that granular, though.

A good boycott, universally supported, could get the job done in a week.
Test

(09-03-2021, 11:57 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: A good boycott, universally supported, could get the job done in a week.

I wish you were right. But again, how can you tell the gas you're pumping didn't come from a Texas refinery, or the jalapeños on your Chipotle burrito didn't come from a Rio Grande farm? You'd have to get every oil company on board. Ain't gonna happen. You'd have to get every trucking company on board. Ain't gonna happen.

I doubt the value of a boycott. This bull should be grabbed by the legal horns as it is clearly unconstitutional -- no state law can pre-empt a SCOTUS ruling -- and the sooner the better. My .02.
On hiatus.