Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transgender women banned from women's chess events

(10-05-2023, 06:34 PM)Thethingaboutitis Wrote: I think that most fair minded people can see the difficulties within sport. I don't have the answer but I don't want to see sport used as yet another way to discriminate. I would have thought that there are ways around these issues, but that's a question for sport's governing bodies.

Of course, really, Chess is not a sport.  It is a game.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

(10-05-2023, 11:23 PM)Minimalist Wrote:
(10-05-2023, 06:34 PM)Thethingaboutitis Wrote: I think that most fair minded people can see the difficulties within sport. I don't have the answer but I don't want to see sport used as yet another way to discriminate. I would have thought that there are ways around these issues, but that's a question for sport's governing bodies.

Of course, really, Chess is not a sport.  It is a game.

Yes. I wasn't talking about chess in the above quote.

I wonder if there would be objections if a Trans person ever won either the men's or women's darts championships.
I wonder what spurious excuse they'd use for revoking the title.
Obviously if they were F to M or M to F they'd be gaining some sort of advantage.
Best all-round if they are banned from any competition at all eh.

(10-06-2023, 08:06 AM)Thethingaboutitis Wrote: I wonder if there would be objections if a Trans person ever won either the men's or women's darts championships.
I wonder what spurious excuse they'd use for revoking the title.
Obviously if they were F to M or M to F they'd be gaining some sort of advantage.
Best all-round if they are banned from any competition at all eh.

I hate this principle that seems to be applied to transgender athletes. It seems that the public and many sports organizations will only tolerate them if they lose. If it's a fair competition, it should also be fair for them to win; set records even. The problem is if they were basically nearly impossible to defeat.
The following 3 users Like epronovost's post:
  • isbelldl, Thethingaboutitis, Mathilda