Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My moving adventure begins

Saturday is the day we head out from Pennsylvania and make the 924 mile trek to our new home in Iowa. 

We have been going through the house and downsizing the amount of stuff we have so we don’t have to drag it all with us. We bought a set of walkie talkies that have a 16 mile radius so that we can talk to each other. 

It’ll be fun. Especially since we will be transporting our pets.
      On ignore: Shitty people not deserving of my time or attention.
The following 3 users Like Joods's post:
  • Cavebear, jerry mcmasters, Dancefortwo

Moving is super fun! The long distance makes it exponentially more epic.
The following 2 users Like no one's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Joods

(04-08-2021, 04:45 AM)Joods Wrote: Saturday is the day we head out from Pennsylvania and make the 924 mile trek to our new home in Iowa. 

We have been going through the house and downsizing the amount of stuff we have so we don’t have to drag it all with us. We bought a set of walkie talkies that have a 16 mile radius so that we can talk to each other. 

I wish you well. I would move but it seems too daunting. When I moved here 34 years ago, the entire neighborhood was basically a slightly-sloped drainage plain down to the swamp. My lot is at almost the bottom. I struggle gardening today with shade from massive trees around me in neighbors' yards.

But there are reasons not to leave. I'm on a dead end street, so little traffic. The neighborhood has a "grandfather clause" that prevents annoying homeowner associations. I have underground electrical and internet cables, so I seldom have outages. I love the taste of the town water supply. The neighborhood is diversified. The crime rate is almost non-existent. I have a lot of woodworking equipment awkward and expensive to move (I got an estimate once that was horrid). I'm used to the place. I know every square foot of it. I have cats buried here. I can walk around the house in the dark with no problem. The rooms are arranged so well that I can't imagine better.

Not that I haven't looked at some houses that were better in a FEW ways. Larger more sun-lit garden-friendly yards, high exposed-beam ceilings, open-space layouts, etc. But they all come with problems. Bad-tasting and limited well-water, homeowner association restrictions, basement mold, cracked foundations, tiny lots, etc.

I know exactly what I would like, but in 3 years of asking real estate agents, none have found a single place better than where I am.
I thought up the BEST signature line ever, but then I woke up.
The following 4 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Aliza, Joods, Astreja, SYZ

(04-08-2021, 04:45 AM)Joods Wrote: Saturday is the day we head out from Pennsylvania and make the 924 mile trek to our new home in Iowa. 

I would help you move but I've got this thing I gotta do.  Can't remeber what it is but....it's something real important.   Thinking
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Joods

(04-08-2021, 04:52 AM)no one Wrote: Moving is super fun! The long distance makes it exponentially more epic.

I’m ultra stressed out. I’ve literally never lived away from the east coast before. I’ll be 1000 miles from everything I know. But I’m ready. 

I think.
The following 2 users Like Joods's post:
  • Cavebear, Dancefortwo

(04-08-2021, 09:37 AM)Joods Wrote:
(04-08-2021, 04:52 AM)no one Wrote: Moving is super fun! The long distance makes it exponentially more epic.

I’m ultra stressed out. I’ve literally never lived away from the east coast before. I’ll be 1000 miles from everything I know. But I’m ready. 

I think.

A grand adventure begins...
I thought up the BEST signature line ever, but then I woke up.
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Joods

Cavebear,

I totally get that. I hope we can eventually buy a house that we can fall in love with. I’d like to be done with moving.

It is said that moving is up there with the most stressful times in life.
Taxes, death, and moving.
The following 3 users Like no one's post:
  • Dancefortwo, SYZ, Joods

(04-08-2021, 10:37 AM)no one Wrote: It is said that moving is up there with the most stressful times in life.

Yabbut, settling in a new place after you have all your stuff unpacked is a priceless feeling. I always loved that!
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Joods

(04-08-2021, 01:55 PM)Dom Wrote:
(04-08-2021, 10:37 AM)no one Wrote: It is said that moving is up there with the most stressful times in life.

Yabbut, settling in a new place after you have all your stuff unpacked is a priceless feeling. I always loved that!

We've lived in this house for over 20 years and there's still stuff we haven't unpacked. LOL!
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard, Joods

Best wishes! I hope my moving days are over. Maybe one last one for a retirement location, but I'm damn well going to pay somebody this time.
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Joods

I always had a comforting feeling when in the new place, but everything still boxed up.  It seemed spacious and full of possibilities...then after unpacking it's just a place filled up with shit.
  • Joods

(04-08-2021, 02:40 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:

We've lived in this house for over 20 years and there's still stuff we haven't unpacked. LOL!

Well, yes, and I haven't been in my barn to look at it long time.  Whistling
  • Joods

(04-08-2021, 03:04 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:

I always had a comforting feeling when in the new place, but everything still boxed up.  It seemed spacious and full of possibilities...then after unpacking it's just a place filled up with shit.

Maybe you should have sold the shit and gotten non-shit for the new place?
  • Joods

(04-08-2021, 03:31 PM)Dom Wrote:
(04-08-2021, 03:04 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(04-08-2021, 01:55 PM)Dom Wrote: Yabbut, settling in a new place after you have all your stuff unpacked is a priceless feeling. I always loved that!

I should have but I'm kind of a pack rat / hoarder.  I always feel like if I throw something out I will find out I need it desperately tomorrow.  Yet it's shit I haven't touched for ten years.
  • Joods

(04-08-2021, 02:40 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: We've lived in this house for over 20 years and there's still stuff we haven't unpacked. LOL!

LOL... same for us!  We've got half a dozen sealed packing boxes in our garage
covered with dust and spider webs.  We've got no idea what's in them, but we
figured if that's the case, it's stuff we don't need anyway.  We're just too lazy to
open them up.     Maybe next year?
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

(04-08-2021, 04:30 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: I should have but I'm kind of a pack rat / hoarder.  I always feel like if I throw something out I will find out I need it desperately tomorrow.  Yet it's shit I haven't touched for ten years.

I can understand that... my partner's like that. I've never been a hoarder, but I know from
experience that women (sorry) like to "nest" and surround themselves with stuff they've
picked up over the years—but like you mate, have never used. She drops of a little bit of
our shit at the local rubbish tip, but usually comes home with more... uh... shit than she
took over there LOL.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Quote: to our new home in Iowa.

[Image: 714072943c4add557667193a571d7e60.jpeg]
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Joods

(04-08-2021, 04:30 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(04-08-2021, 03:31 PM)Dom Wrote:
(04-08-2021, 03:04 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: I always had a comforting feeling when in the new place, but everything still boxed up.  It seemed spacious and full of possibilities...then after unpacking it's just a place filled up with shit.

I should have but I'm kind of a pack rat / hoarder.  I always feel like if I throw something out I will find out I need it desperately tomorrow.  Yet it's shit I haven't touched for ten years.

Holy shit. I felt this.

So we are moving Friday instead of Saturday now. It’s 11:42 pm and we are loading the moving truck. Gonna be at this all night. Just the two of us because we couldn’t get any help.

Just left the incinerator with a whole truck and trailer load of junk. It feels so good to purge sometimes.
The following 1 user Likes Joods's post:
  • Dom

[-]
Quick Reply