Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Durant Apologises After Homophobic Rant

A heated back-and-forth between NBA star Kevin Durant and the actor Michael Rapaport exploded
into public view on Tuesday after Rapaport posted screenshots of direct messages in which KD
appeared to use homophobic, misogynistic and profane language.  The 11-time All-Star launched
a volley of insults at Rapaport—even challenging him to a fistfight in New York City and asking for
his address.

Kevin Durant apologizes to Michael Rapaport.

According to screenshots, the confrontation began when Rapaport criticised Durant’s post-game
interview with TNT analyst Charles Barkley after Brooklyn’s season-opening victory over the Golden
State Warriors in December.

Rapaport tweeted at the time: "KD seemed deeply in his feelings with the TNT crew after the game.
DAMNIT he’s super sensitive about everything. Don’t do the interview".

Durant responded by calling Rapaport a "cunt", a "bitch", a "pussy", a "pale pasty cum guzzling bitch"
and a "piece of shit", followed by a series of insults invoking the actor’s wife.   He also posted  "I swear
Ima spit in your face when I see your dirty ass".

slapfight
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Funny, god can help them win MVP awards, but not be better people.
The following 2 users Like no one's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, GenesisNemesis

I follow the NBA a bit so I can add a little context. Durant is generally considered one of the top three or four basketball players in the world right now. His reputation is that he is very thoughtful and sensitive and introspective, is considered a "good interview" because he of these things. By rep his toughness, mental and physical, is questioned by others because though he has been on title winners he moved to an already successful team to do so, a team he made better but a team that had already proven it didn't need him to wiin a title. Therefore a bit of an asterisk on his titles, he didn't "win it himself" like the superstars he wants to be compared to. He is known to be very concerned about how he is perceived by others and was once found to have a "burner" fake twitter account that he used to defend himself from criticisms and insults, getting into twitter battles with fans. When this was found out of course that just made him look even more like a mentally fragile wienie. Not sure why I'm getting into all this. Basically he's another spoiled coddled and touchy millionaire athlete. I guess I'm bored, I have the day off from work. Also he said "pale pasty cum guzzling bitch"? Good lord, racist and homophobic.
The following 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Dānu, SYZ

I never pay much attention to such apologies. You said it, you own it. You just got caught saying it...
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

(03-31-2021, 02:38 PM)Cavebear Wrote: I never pay much attention to such apologies.  You said it, you own it.  You just got caught saying it...

I like the old "If I offended anybody, I apologize..."

(03-31-2021, 02:41 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(03-31-2021, 02:38 PM)Cavebear Wrote: I never pay much attention to such apologies.  You said it, you own it.  You just got caught saying it...

I like the old "If I offended anybody, I apologize..."

And there's the rub. The non-apology apology is the problem. It basically means "I'm annoyed that you are too stupid to understand I was right, but I am forced to pretend to apologize".

An actual apology can be either:

1. "Oh damn, I sure said THAT wrong and didn't mean it that way at all".
2. "Oh damn, I am so stupid. I realize the error of my thoughts. I am as dumb as a box of rocks and will spend time unlearning my stupidity".
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

Yeah, apologies can be pretty meaningless. Obviously, in this case this joker is some sort of public figure so he's pretty much forced to do it and obviously is not sorry.

But in general - if you said it, you most probably did think it (it didn't come to you from the holy ghost or something) or you were trying to find something really hurtful to say to the other person. How does one "I'm sorry" change anything? You either think some truly nasty things of the other person or are willing to search for the nastiest, most offensive thing to hurl in their face in order to hurt them. This *is* who you are and what your relationship is. The rest is veneer. Anger is very much like alcohol - it doesn't turn you into someone else you weren't to begin with.

Obviously, there can be cases where one was oblivious enough to not understand their words were hurtful and there are people who outgrow their prejudice and hate... but at the very least that takes time, when at all possible.
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 

A homophobic athlete ... how shocking.
On hiatus.