Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things that you like in movies/television

Not even sure about TV. All I watch is news and sports. In sports, I like good, steady camerawork, and the camera being "on topic", as it were. On news, I like certain graphics packages more than others, but I need to research this better on tvnewstalk.net. I also like a professionally sober tone. I really like the "NPR sound". That's radio, but I hear it with C-Span announcers, too (and presenters, really). 

For movies, I like vibe. I like richness of place. On location. No major obvious things faked. And a good soundtrack, composed of things I like, and things I should like based on my known likes. Lost In Translation hits all that for me. I haven't ever seen "Her", but it seems recommended amongst fans of LiT. It's like a response of sorts. A different viewpoint (sometimes in agreement) of the same failed relationship. 

You?
Is this sig thing on?
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

I like movies with plenty of stuff going on. Action movies in particular. I have a short attention span and I get bored easily.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Hmmm....?

What do I like in movies and TV?

Well... I guess... mostly tits and ass.       Dance
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Dānu

I like stories that take me into other times and places and tell the story in an engaging human way.   I despise action movies and about 99% of si-fi stuff, it's all surface cartoony crap and explosions.  I liked The Right Stuff and the Tom Hanks movie, Apollo 13,  but that's about it.  I like a film that shows me something I didn't know or gives me a different perspective.  I hate most biopics.   I like subtle acting and nuanced characters that are well written.   I like movies about interesting people doing interesting things.   I'm very snobby when it comes to films.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • c172

I want to be entertained. My chosen profession requires conciseness and accuracy. So I need a counterweight to that. Milla Jovovich's "Monster Hunter", basically a 90 minute video game preview, was just one such.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • c172

It depends. I have a taste for the absurd, so silly comedies like Airplane or Reno 911 work well for me. I like movies that make me think, or something that I can connect with emotionally. Action movies can be enjoyable but that's a hard push -- I think T2 was the last action flick I really enjoyed.

I don't care for most historical dramas because they seem to get so much wrong, but then you get something like Saving Private Ryan, where the attention to detail is just astounding. When a filmmaker goes to those lengths, I really appreciate it.
On hiatus.

If you like detail in your war movies look for Dale Dye in the credits. He coached the film crew in Saving Ryan's Privates.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(03-21-2021, 01:32 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: If you like detail in your war movies look for Dale Dye in the credits. He coached the film crew in Saving Ryan's Privates.

Indeed, he's been a great consultant for a couple of decades now.
On hiatus.

Since "Invaders from Mars" (1986).

When the plot can be over the top and absurd but there's still logical writing and good pacing, for example, Hot Fuzz.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

Skin. Lots of skin. Deadpan Coffee Drinker
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus

Dark humor is something I like - Death of Stalin was good example of movie using such in a good way.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 2 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • Dānu, GenesisNemesis

Police Squad!