Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Under-rated Movies

Under-rated Movies
(03-02-2021, 04:03 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(02-28-2021, 05:13 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(02-28-2021, 07:17 AM)Aroura Wrote: Some musicals are underrated. Sure, a lot of them are silly, fun, nonsense, but for actual good stories, I like Fiddler on the Roof and Man of LaMancha. Also the Tim Burton Sweeney Todd is a very good film adaptation.
Aspects of The King and I don't age well, but overall it's still a really good movie.
Aladdin, Chicago!

I do love musicals, even not very good musicals.  It's one of my guilty pleasures.

Have you ever heard of 'Tenderloin'?

YES!   Love the music and I have a soft spot for Bobby Darin's version of Artificial Flowers even though it was jazzed up.   Love me some Bobby Darin. He had such short but unusual life.  

ETA: By the time Bobby Darin performed this song during his short life this he had to have an oxygen tank back stage to give him enough energy to get through his songs. He died at age 37.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Cavebear

Under-rated Movies
Dreamcatcher was always a hugely unrated movie for me. [Based on the Stephen King book of the same name].

I really enjoyed it Smile

Under-rated Movies
Another old movie I love is 1949's  "The Heiress"  with Olivia de Havilland.  She's fantastic in this role and won herself an oscar and she deserved it too.  It's based on the Henry James novel,  "Washington Square".  Ralph Richardsons is perfect as her father.   I made my husband watch it one evening.  He's quite the actor's critic and he thought her performance was great.  He had never heard of this movie.

The walk up the stairs with the lamp in her hand while Morris knocks on the door below....what a moment in the film.

[Image: ti117965.jpg]
                                                         T4618

Under-rated Movies
(03-03-2021, 05:20 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 04:03 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(02-28-2021, 05:13 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: I do love musicals, even not very good musicals.  It's one of my guilty pleasures.

Have you ever heard of 'Tenderloin'?

YES!   Love the music and I have a soft spot for Bobby Darin's version of Artificial Flowers even though it was jazzed up.   Love me some Bobby Darin. He had such short but unusual life.  

ETA: By the time Bobby Darin performed this song during his short life this he had to have an oxygen tank back stage to give him enough energy to get through his songs.  He died at age 37.

As a teen I was always astonished by the music my mom enjoyed.  I mean, "prostitutes"?  But the music was the thing.  Clever, well-done, and musical was all that mattered.  I learned broadway, classical, and good ballads in the kitchen (as sou chef) and at dinner listening to classical instrumental music.  When I went to college, I was amazed that you could actually check out classical RECORDS!  

But back to 'Artificial Flowers"...  It was as well jazzed up as Mack The Knife (and I only heard the [rather interesting monotone] original from 3 Penny Opera afterwards).  Darin had some real talent.  But in this case, I liked the original better.  Sadder and tragic.  But your link got me some lines I had forgotten, so that was good.  

BTW, DON'T buy the David Ogden Stiers' version.  I bought it out of curiosity.  It sucks...
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

Under-rated Movies
I don't know what the critics thought of these movies but I understand that they both flopped at the box office.
  • The Dark Crystal
  • Ride With the Devil

I really liked both of them, particularly The Dark Crystal.

Under-rated Movies
(02-28-2021, 07:17 AM)Aroura Wrote: Some musicals are underrated. Sure, a lot of them are silly, fun, nonsense, but for actual good stories, I like Fiddler on the Roof and Man of LaMancha. Also the Tim Burton Sweeney Todd is a very good film adaptation.
Aspects of The King and I don't age well, but overall it's still a really good movie.
Aladdin, Chicago!

Great visuals but not great singing. Prime currently has a version for rent with Angela Lansbury. It's just a filming of the stage production, but the voices are amazing. Well worth a few bucks if you love the music.

As an aside, I liked the old days musicals where they'd get stars for the movie version but dub in better voices.

Under-rated Movies
The Stupids, starring Tom Arnold. Oh man-bush you are nature's greatest wonder! I sometimes think my family were the only ones who have seen this.

Under-rated Movies
Also Soldier, starring Kurt Russell. Short and to the point. Kurt probably doesn't say a hundred words in the whole thing. Definitely for men though.

Under-rated Movies
Zabriskie Point, Michaengelo Antonioni, 1970.

Panned by the critics, but one of the most evocative films of the Vietnam era.
Lead actors Mark Frechette and Daria Halprin were untalented, but this helped
give the film an almost semi-doco feel accurate to the American social collapse
at that time.   Worth watching for visuals alone.

PS:  I had  to visit Zabriskie Point when I was in the US.  A weird, silent desolate
place reminiscent I guess, of some alien planet.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Vera

Under-rated Movies
(12-13-2021, 10:00 PM)SYZ Wrote: Zabriskie Point, Michaengelo Antonioni, 1970.

Panned by the critics, but one of the most evocative films of the Vietnam era.
Lead actors Mark Frechette and Daria Halprin were untalented, but this helped
give the film an almost semi-doco feel accurate to the American social collapse
at that time.   Worth watching for visuals alone.

PS:  I had  to visit Zabriskie Point when I was in the US.  A weird, silent desolate
place reminiscent I guess, of some alien planet.

But is it "definitely for men" though? Deadpan Coffee Drinker
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 

Under-rated Movies
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kentucky_Fried_Movie
On hiatus.