Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Poll: Do you eat pancakes ?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
As long as you're paying
33.33%
2 33.33%
What ... all those carbs ?
66.67%
4 66.67%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Celebrations of the day

Celebrations of the day
Today is National Pancake Day, (and only seven months until National Talk Like a Pirate Day).
What do you like to eat with pancakes ?  
I like strawberries and blueberries and whipped cream and sugar-free syrup. 
My favorite topping is another pancake or two on top of the others.

Edit: We never make them. iHop or the Original Pancake House makes them for us.
Test
The following 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Phaedrus, Cavebear

Celebrations of the day
Maple syrup, 11 pounds of high quality butter. Ice cold whole milk.
The following 1 user Likes no one's post:
  • Bucky Ball

Celebrations of the day
I have never been a fan of pancakes.

When I do eat them, I prefer them plain.

Celebrations of the day
I eat low carb, and I substitute chaffles for pancakes. My favorite is cinnamon chaffle with strawberries, blueberries, and whipped cream. I never cared much for overly sweet things...so syrup was never much on my radar. And I have come to prefer chaffles to pancakes or bread, the flavoring is so versatile.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

Celebrations of the day
I haven't eaten pancakes for fifty years. The last time I can recall eating them was when they were served for breakfast during my last tour in Vietnam. I recall buying a box of Bisquick pancake mix when I moved into my house in 1976. By the time I thought about having pancakes, the box was infested with meal worms and I threw it out. I never bought another one.  Confused
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

Celebrations of the day
I'm trying to train myself to prefer crepes, with a little strawberry and cream cheese or other fruit.  Dusting of powdered sugar on top? Sure.  Whipped cream on the side? Yes please! 

I love all carbs and it's almost impossible for things to be too sweet for me, but the older I get, the worse I feel after eating pancakes...15 minutes of yum followed by six hours of torpid regret.   With pancakes (for me) butter and syrup are musts.  When it comes to syrup, I don't care much for "real" maple syrup--the stuff that's all over Vermont--but in (non-Vermont-based) IHOPs and places like that I like maple syrup and the butter pecan syrup.  I luurve the way the IHOP pancakes soak that shit up.  IRL, however, I do crepes on the rare occasions--maybe two or three times a year--that I have pancakes.
god, ugh
The following 1 user Likes julep's post:
  • Bucky Ball

Celebrations of the day
When I make them I eat them plain. I make them rarely though.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 2 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • Phaedrus, Bucky Ball

Celebrations of the day
I make them rarely as the taste and eating experience doesn't justify the effort of whipping them up and out. I like plain with syrup only, butter if it's handy but not vital. We just throw a waffle in the toaster and get an inferior but similar food experience.
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Bucky Ball

Celebrations of the day
I like my pancakes with bacon and syrup.
The following 2 users Like Marozz's post:
  • Bucky Ball, Gwaithmir

Celebrations of the day
The pancakes themselves? Maple or Mrs. Butterworths, and lots of butter. Bacon on the side, good and crisp. Hashbrowns, well browned with lots of ketchup, buttered toast. Usually there are leftovers.
Is this sig thing on?
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • Bucky Ball

Celebrations of the day
I like pancakes with the real Maple syrup, not the fake stuff.  Maple syrup from the tree has a woody taste.   I hate to cook but that's the one thing I do make from time to time.  Well, actually I make waffles since we have a waffle maker.   And even with a waffle maker the first waffle is the prototype test waffle and then the rest are more eatable.   If I eat pancakes or waffles for breakfast the rest of the day I'm too full to eat anything else.
                                                         T4618

Celebrations of the day
(02-16-2021, 03:47 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: I like pancakes with the real Maple syrup, not the fake stuff.  Maple syrup from the tree has a woody taste.   I hate to cook but that's the one thing I do make from time to time.  Well, actually I make waffles since we have a waffle maker.   And even with a waffle maker the first waffle is the prototype test waffle and then the rest are more eatable.   If I eat pancakes or waffles for breakfast the rest of the day I'm too full to eat anything else.

Chaffles are waffles made with almond or coconut flour instead of grain flour. Much lower in carbs and even more tasty. Also, grated cheese is added (how much depends on your palate) for added crisp. You can add anything you like. Blueberries? Cinnamon? Banana? whatever tickles your taste buds. Or savory, with bacon bits or hot sauce etc. as sandwich. Egg and bacon chaffle sandwiches are cool.

And yes, you will still need a proto type, when you mess with the liquidity of the dough you may want to add some nut flour or milk or whatever to make it perfect.

Celebrations of the day
(02-16-2021, 12:53 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: Today is National Pancake Day, (and only seven months until National Talk Like a Pirate Day).
What do you like to eat with pancakes ?  
I like strawberries and blueberries and whipped cream and sugar-free syrup. 
My favorite topping is another pancake or two on top of the others.

Edit: We never make them. iHop or the Original Pancake House makes them for us.

2 fried eggs, soft yolks on 2 pancakes.. And maybe a strip of bacon.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Bucky Ball

Celebrations of the day
(02-16-2021, 04:01 PM)Dom Wrote:
(02-16-2021, 03:47 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: I like pancakes with the real Maple syrup, not the fake stuff.  Maple syrup from the tree has a woody taste.   I hate to cook but that's the one thing I do make from time to time.  Well, actually I make waffles since we have a waffle maker.   And even with a waffle maker the first waffle is the prototype test waffle and then the rest are more eatable.   If I eat pancakes or waffles for breakfast the rest of the day I'm too full to eat anything else.

Chaffles are waffles made with almond or coconut flour instead of grain flour. Much lower in carbs and even more tasty. Also, grated cheese is added (how much depends on your palate) for added crisp.  You can add anything you like. Blueberries? Cinnamon? Banana?  whatever tickles your taste buds. Or savory, with bacon bits or hot sauce etc. as sandwich. Egg and bacon chaffle sandwiches are cool.

And yes, you will still need a proto type, when you mess with the liquidity of the dough you may want to add some nut flour or milk or whatever to make it perfect.

Almond or coconut flower? OMG, that sounds afwul.  I don't like coconut flavor in anything.

Quote: You can add anything you like. Blueberries? Cinnamon? Banana?

LOL.  Not in my pancake universe.  Tongue   I don't want anything in my pancakes.  Not chocolate chips, berries, bananas, whipped cream....nothing.  Just give me the flower pancakes and the real maple syrup please. Thank you.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Cavebear

Celebrations of the day
(02-16-2021, 05:55 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(02-16-2021, 04:01 PM)Dom Wrote:

Chaffles are waffles made with almond or coconut flour instead of grain flour. Much lower in carbs and even more tasty. Also, grated cheese is added (how much depends on your palate) for added crisp.  You can add anything you like. Blueberries? Cinnamon? Banana?  whatever tickles your taste buds. Or savory, with bacon bits or hot sauce etc. as sandwich. Egg and bacon chaffle sandwiches are cool.

Almond or coconut flower? OMG, that sounds afwul.  I don't like coconut flavor in anything.

LOL.  Not in my pancake universe.  Tongue   I don't want anything in my pancakes.  Not chocolate chips, berries, bananas, whipped cream....nothing.  Just give me the flower pancakes and the real maple syrup please. Thank you.

Neither coconut nor almond flour taste like the nuts. They just have a "nuttier" flavor, a fuller flavor than flour.

These are waffles (chaffles because of the cheese), not pancakes. I like them better than pancakes, albeit they are a similar food. Flavors are always a matter of individual taste...

Celebrations of the day
I think I've only had pancakes once since moving out of my parents' place and iirc that was at a hotel and they were served with brandy butter. When mum made them I would have them with a little sprinkle of sugar and a squirt or two of lemon juice. Mmmmm, I clearly remember the taste - delicious!

Celebrations of the day
(02-16-2021, 05:59 PM)Dom Wrote:
(02-16-2021, 05:55 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(02-16-2021, 04:01 PM)Dom Wrote: Chaffles are waffles made with almond or coconut flour instead of grain flour. Much lower in carbs and even more tasty. Also, grated cheese is added (how much depends on your palate) for added crisp.  You can add anything you like. Blueberries? Cinnamon? Banana?  whatever tickles your taste buds. Or savory, with bacon bits or hot sauce etc. as sandwich. Egg and bacon chaffle sandwiches are cool.

Neither coconut nor almond flour taste like the nuts. They just have a "nuttier" flavor, a fuller flavor than flour.

These are waffles (chaffles because of the cheese), not pancakes. I like them better than pancakes, albeit they are a similar food. Flavors are always a matter of individual taste...

I'm a very weird,  oddball eater.  I don't like lumps in things.  I hate jams and jelly's that have lumpy berries in it. It makes me gag and become nauseous.  It's too close to being the texture of cut up slimy slugs or something.  I've been known to take an entire jar of jam with lumpy, slimy berries in it and put it in a food processor to smooth it out and return it to the jar. 

I do like nuts but I don't like them in other things. I eat nuts by themselves.  Adding to my food situation...I don't like mixed nuts, you know, like in a bowl mixed with a bunch of other nuts.  If I want a damned almond I'll eat handful of almonds.  If I want a peanut I'll eat a hand full of peanuts.  Don't mix them together and don't put them in stuff. 

I don't like fruit mixed with other fruits.  If I want an apple I'll eat an apple.  Don't mix apples with other stuff and frankly, I'm not all too crazy about apple pie.... or slimy slug apple pie as I like to call it.

I grab a handful of Romaine lettus leaves and eat it like a rabbit.  Same with celery, carrots and other stuff.   I don't even put stuff in a bowl.   Same with broccoli.  I just snap off a piece, wash it, eat it.  It's way too much trouble to transform stuff because to me it's perfectly fine the way it is.  So I eat very simply with as little preparation as is possible.  It's the original fast food.   

So this is why I'm almost never on food threads.     Modest
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Bucky Ball, Dānu

Celebrations of the day
I don't like the adding of stuff to pancakes like bananas or blueberries or rusty old car parts. It just dominates the flavor of the pancake and syrup and defeats the purpose. Those things are fine as sides.

Celebrations of the day
(02-16-2021, 07:23 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(02-16-2021, 05:59 PM)Dom Wrote:
(02-16-2021, 05:55 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Almond or coconut flower? OMG, that sounds afwul.  I don't like coconut flavor in anything.

I'm a very weird,  oddball eater.  I don't like lumps in things.  I hate jams and jelly's that have lumpy berries in it. It makes me gag and become nauseous.  It's too close to being the texture of cut up slimy slugs or something.  I've been known to take an entire jar of jam with lumpy, slimy berries in it and put it in a food processor to smooth it out and return it to the jar. 

I do like nuts but I don't like them in other things. I eat nuts by themselves.  Adding to my food situation...I don't like mixed nuts, you know, like in a bowl mixed with a bunch of other nuts.  If I want a damned almond I'll eat handful of almonds.  If I want a peanut I'll eat a hand full of peanuts.  Don't mix them together and don't put them in stuff. 

I don't like fruit mixed with other fruits.  If I want an apple I'll eat an apple.  Don't mix apples with other stuff and frankly, I'm not all too crazy about apple pie.... or slimy slug apple pie as I like to call it.

I grab a handful of Romaine lettus leaves and eat it like a rabbit.  Same with celery, carrots and other stuff.   I don't even put stuff in a bowl.   Same with broccoli.  I just snap off a piece, wash it, eat it.  It's way too much trouble to transform stuff because to me it's perfectly fine the way it is.  So I eat very simply with as little preparation as is possible.  It's the original fast food.   

So this is why I'm almost never on food threads.     Modest

I like my veggies roasted, which is quick and painless, throw them on my indoor grill for a bit. I don't much like sauces and other enhancements on my veggies, I love the pure taste of them. Hollandaise sauce is an exception - nothing like asparagus with hollandaise. 

Lumps - hubby developed a thing about lumps after return from a hospital, where he had not eaten for 6 weeks due to an issue swallowing. (Long story and the hospital's fault). Everything I fixed for him had to be put through the vitamix first to make sure there were no lumps of any type. Lumps made him gag.  Makes me think maybe as an infant you got something stuck when swallowing... those early experiences do tend to shape life time preferences, the aversion becomes a reflex. 

Lots of people don't like mixing foods, or foods touching each other. No idea what that is about, but it's quite a common thing now.  I do get the taste for pure foods though, they have lovely flavors all by themselves. I cook them mostly for texture.

Celebrations of the day
With blueberries and plenty of butter. I don't know how Maple syrup compares as the price has always scared me off.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Celebrations of the day
Covid has really ruined Pancake Day this year. Our local Pancake Festival was cancelled as was the Parade of Pancakes, and though our town still held the annual "Lil' Ms Pancake" pageant, it just wasn't the same with all the social distance and mask-wearing. Fuck Covid. I don't know about you guys, but I'm not going to let it ruin my Pancake Day. I'm going to do what I do every Pancake Day evening, I'm going to take off all my clothes, pour syrup all over myself, and eat some fucking pancakes.
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Dom

Celebrations of the day
Pancakes:   6" nonstick pan  lightly sprayed on just below medium heat.  375F surface temp (by infrared thermometer) 2 minutes per side is what matters.  Perfect every time.  Stack under a Wok lid to keep warm.  Add whatever you like on them, but nothing IN them, LOL!
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Dom