Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for people owned by cats

Does your cat, do your cats, throw up a lot?

My cat seems to throw up a great deal (actual throw up, not hairballs), not certain if I'm just feeding her too much or what. But I'm planning on getting her to a clinic soon to see if anything's wrong.

The following 2 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • Cavebear, Aroura

Get her some of the grass they sell in some pet stores. They need roughage, and they are total carnivores otherwise. So, food that contains grain and such is really not suitable. The grass helps digestion, it will result in some throwing up but it won't be prolonged, the grass does the job and gets rid of unwanted stuff in the stomach. Some cats are more sensitive to those things than others.

In nature, carnivores ingest some plant material from the digestive system of their prey. The grass works well as supplement.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Phaedrus, Aliza

(02-07-2021, 01:15 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: Does your cat, do your cats, throw up a lot?

My cat seems to throw up a great deal (actual throw up, not hairballs), not certain if I'm just feeding her too much or what. But I'm planning on getting her to a clinic soon to see if anything's wrong.

If you mean "regurgitate" that is not abnormal. I have had cats that simply ate too much at once and couldn't handle it. I went from 2 large meals a day to 6 smaller ones and that solved the problem.

If it is occurring well after they eat (and trust me, you can tell the difference) that requires a vet visit. There are some foods for cats with "sensitive stomachs". Probably some pills, but I'm not a vet.

My current cats seldom have problems like that now. More smaller meals really does make a difference.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

The Tiny Tiger barfs all the time. She's eleven years old now, so I don't see it as a problem. Unless you have fucking carpets. Then it's a bitch.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Gwaithmir

Our cat doesn’t throw up a lot; when he does it’s usually because he ate too fast.  One time he ate a bunch of food, clambered up onto the top of the kitchen cabinets, and vomited from that high place.  Wall, countertop, floor...that was fun to clean up.  

However, for the brother/sister cats we had before, when they started vomiting more it was a sign of very bad stuff (intestinal cancer).   If there’s a notable change, it’s worth getting it checked out.
god, ugh
The following 1 user Likes julep's post:
  • Aroura

Grass is the normal way cats regulate this for themselves. (barring actual disease, of course). They eat it when they need it. The grass you get in the supermarket is the wrong kind, they don't eat it, it's not soft enough. I forgot what kind they use in pet stores, but when you find out you can just buy some seeds and grow it yourself for cheap. 

Indoor cats obviously need this more than cats that also go outside in nature. Regurgitating is normal for cats and dogs, as long as it is occasionally, doesn't have a bad scent and the animal otherwise acts normal. 

The soft grass blades wrap around particles and cleanse. More often than not they are then regurgitated - it's part of kitty hygiene. Kind of like when we gargle.

I've bought "Cat-a-bout" cat grass for years. If you want to try it shop around. Amazon's price is nearly twice what it is elsewhere.
  • Dom

I tried growing "cat grass" from seed but Algy decided he preferred laying on it to eating it.

[Image: algy-cat-grass.jpghttp:]
The following 4 users Like Finite Monkeys's post:
  • c172, Dom, Deesse23, Dānu

(02-07-2021, 04:27 PM)Finite Monkeys Wrote: I tried growing "cat grass" from seed but Algy decided he preferred laying on it to eating it.

Yep. They just use it for gargling when they need it, it's not considered food but a remedy.

(02-07-2021, 01:15 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: Does your cat, do your cats, throw up a lot?

Take her to a clinic, or if you feel like it's not an emergency, you could try to change her food (slowly, don't just switch it out).  Cats should not throw up often (aside from hairballs).  It may be a symptom a food allergy.

I have 2 cats.  One only coughs up very gross hairballs, and occasionally gorges on his dry food and immediately vomits it up (maybe 3-5 times a year).

The other used to vomit often, and still does if he eats the wrong thing.  It turns out he has an allergy to chicken, and we had to try a lot of things to discover that. 
It's quite common for cats to develop grain allergies.  The vet may recommend trying a grain free diet.  But Chicken is the top protein allergy, and it's in almost all store brand cat foods and treats.  But it could be something else, and a vet would be best to discover what.  

I hope your kitty feels better soon!!
  Hug
The following 1 user Likes Aroura's post:
  • Dānu

(02-07-2021, 03:40 PM)Dom Wrote: Grass is the normal way cats regulate this for themselves. (barring actual disease, of course). They eat it when they need it. The grass you get in the supermarket is the wrong kind, they don't eat it, it's not soft enough. I forgot what kind they use in pet stores, but when you find out you can just buy some seeds and grow it yourself for cheap. 

Indoor cats obviously need this more than cats that also go outside in nature. Regurgitating is normal for cats and dogs, as long as it is occasionally, doesn't have a bad scent and the animal otherwise acts normal. 

The soft grass blades wrap around particles and cleanse. More often than not they are then regurgitated - it's part of kitty hygiene. Kind of like when we gargle.

If you buy the seeds and grow it yourself, it's wheat grass.
One of our cats won't touch it, the other munches it constantly.

Oat
Oat grass is the true cat grass – a package of seeds labeled just “cat grass” typically contains oat seeds. It is a slightly sweeter-tasting grass than the others listed here, making it appealing to finicky feline tastes.

Wheat
Containing 70% chlorophyll and packed with minerals, wheatgrass is a popular addition to the diet of health-conscious humans for the same reasons why it’s a good addition to your cat’s. It can help to fight inflammation and improve immune health.

Rye
Ryegrass is a shorter, more durable grass, meaning that it can easily spring back after your cat rolls in it.

Barley
This tall grass reaches up to 14” high and grows quickly, making it a great choice for the most voracious nibblers.

Best Cat Grass 2021 (kittycatter.com)
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Finite Monkeys

(02-07-2021, 04:27 PM)Finite Monkeys Wrote: I tried growing "cat grass" from seed but Algy decided he preferred laying on it to eating it.

Just buy a square meter/yard of sod. Here that's like $6.05/ea. Big flat pan to put it in and water every few days until it dies.
  • skyking

One of our cats does that too!

[Image: FnbKK4LAM_AkJ3f-HMKZZCyyDkbWR3rXPZJMMYs0...authuser=0]
The following 2 users Like Aroura's post:
  • Dom, Finite Monkeys

Our Very Elderly Cat (23 years, give or take a year, she was a rescue at about 1.5 years of age) would only occasionally barf up a hair ball, but in the last few months of her life was puking more and more -- food as well as hair balls. Toward the very end she began a weird thing where she would go in her litter box, come out, and hork up a huge pool of nearly clear watery fluid. It was as if the act of straining to poop made her last drink of water come out the other end. And she was drinking a LOT of water, a sign of kidney issues.

We knew it was time to put her down. She was nearly blind and deaf, and rather senile as well. While she was still finding her littler box and seemed to enjoy our company, it was no way for her to live. She was starting to trip and fall, too. We said goodbye to her about 3 weeks ago.

My wife has taken this surprisingly well. Pepper the Cat was her "shadow" for all those years. A very Zen cat. We FaceTimed her daughter on our visit for the euthanasia, and her son was with us physically; Pepper was their childhood cat. It was sad seeing the vet carry the limp body back to the fridge. But it was definitely time. Passing of an era, though.

As for me, I was in charge of changing litter and feeding and I don't miss those chores or stepping in puddles of vomit in the middle of the night. She was aloof to me and my stepson, so we got over it easily in a couple of days. Pepper was always attached to the ladies of the house. We men had long since given up connecting with her. Still ... one feels the absence.

Her ashes came back in a little velvet bag about big enough for a few dollar coins. Kind of surprised me, I expected more, even from her scrawny body. In the spring, we'll put them to rest where my son's ashes are buried; he always enjoyed Pepper, and if he had spent more time visiting, Pepper might well have made an exception for him concerning men. We'll imagine them keeping each other company.
The following 5 users Like mordant's post:
  • Phaedrus, Nursey, Dom, SYZ, Dancefortwo

(02-22-2021, 02:39 AM)mordant Wrote: Our Very Elderly Cat (23 years, give or take a year, she was a rescue at about 1.5 years of age) would only occasionally barf up a hair ball, but in the last few months of her life was puking more and more -- food as well as hair balls. Toward the very end she began a weird thing where she would go in her litter box, come out, and hork up a huge pool of nearly clear watery fluid. It was as if the act of straining to poop made her last drink of water come out the other end. And she was drinking a LOT of water, a sign of kidney issues.

We knew it was time to put her down. She was nearly blind and deaf, and rather senile as well. While she was still finding her littler box and seemed to enjoy our company, it was no way for her to live. She was starting to trip and fall, too. We said goodbye to her about 3 weeks ago.

My wife has taken this surprisingly well. Pepper the Cat was her "shadow" for all those years. A very Zen cat. We FaceTimed her daughter on our visit for the euthanasia, and her son was with us physically; Pepper was their childhood cat. It was sad seeing the vet carry the limp body back to the fridge. But it was definitely time. Passing of an era, though.

As for me, I was in charge of changing litter and feeding and I don't miss those chores or stepping in puddles of vomit in the middle of the night. She was aloof to me and my stepson, so we got over it easily in a couple of days. Pepper was always attached to the ladies of the house. We men had long since given up connecting with her. Still ... one feels the absence.

Her ashes came back in a little velvet bag about big enough for a few dollar coins. Kind of surprised me, I expected more, even from her scrawny body. In the spring, we'll put them to rest where my son's ashes are buried; he always enjoyed Pepper, and if he had spent more time visiting, Pepper might well have made an exception for him concerning men. We'll imagine them keeping each other company.

Hmm, we always had "his and hers" cats, as well as dogs. Seems like the furry guys always picked a favorite. Some were more congenial than others, but most hung around with the person of their preference during the day.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • mordant

(02-22-2021, 02:39 AM)mordant Wrote: Our Very Elderly Cat (23 years, give or take a year, she was a rescue at about 1.5 years of age) would only occasionally barf up a hair ball, but in the last few months of her life was puking more and more -- food as well as hair balls. Toward the very end she began a weird thing where she would go in her litter box, come out, and hork up a huge pool of nearly clear watery fluid. It was as if the act of straining to poop made her last drink of water come out the other end. And she was drinking a LOT of water, a sign of kidney issues.

I'm still getting over the  death of my 20 year old cat, Cleo, who I had to put down almost 9 months ago.  We had it done in our house and not at the vets office.  I couldn't do it though.  I had to leave home and drive around for a couple of hours while the vet came to our house and gave her the shot. My daughter held Cleo when she was put down.  I sobbed for hours.  I put some of her ashes on the iris tubers several months ago.  

I think when the pandemic is waning and I have the Covid shots, maybe in the late summer of fall I'll go to the animal shelter and get another couple of kitties.  

I've never told my husband this but it cost over $500 dollars to have the deed done at home.   Shhhhhh.  Say nothing, act casual.    Whistling
                                                         T4618
The following 5 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Aroura, SYZ, Finite Monkeys, Gawdzilla Sama, mordant

(02-22-2021, 08:46 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:

I'm still getting over the  death of my 20 year old cat, Cleo, who I had to put down almost 9 months ago.  We had it done in our house and not at the vets office.  I couldn't do it though.  I had to leave home and drive around for a couple of hours while the vet came to our house and gave her the shot. My daughter held Cleo when she was put down.  I sobbed for hours.  I put some of her ashes on the iris tubers several months ago.  

I think when the pandemic is waning and I have the Covid shots, maybe in the late summer of fall I'll go to the animal shelter and get another couple of kitties.  

I've never told my husband this but it cost over $500 dollars to have the deed done at home.   Shhhhhh.  Say nothing, act casual.    Whistling

I have it done at home as often as possible. The vets around here don't offer that, but my vet has known me for so long now, he makes exceptions.

The reason cats throw up so much is because they are disgusted by us.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Dom, mordant

(02-27-2021, 08:59 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: The reason cats throw up so much is because they are disgusted by us.

Or they accidentally watch a few second of the 500 Club.
  • GenesisNemesis

(02-22-2021, 09:22 PM)Dom Wrote:
(02-22-2021, 08:46 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:

I have it done at home as often as possible. The vets around here don't offer that, but my vet has known me for so long now, he makes exceptions.

That is one of the jobs our property mate does. He makes house calls 4~6 days a week for a company. It is a very difficult job for him to do, so much grief. Veterinarians are more likely to commit suicide.
https://todaysveterinarynurse.com/articl...chnicians/
We support him in these efforts, but also want him to leave this gig for his health.
test signature
The following 3 users Like skyking's post:
  • Dānu, Dom, Dancefortwo

(02-28-2021, 05:31 PM)skyking Wrote:
(02-22-2021, 09:22 PM)Dom Wrote:
(02-22-2021, 08:46 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: I'm still getting over the  death of my 20 year old cat, Cleo, who I had to put down almost 9 months ago.  We had it done in our house and not at the vets office.  I couldn't do it though.  I had to leave home and drive around for a couple of hours while the vet came to our house and gave her the shot. My daughter held Cleo when she was put down.  I sobbed for hours.  I put some of her ashes on the iris tubers several months ago.  

That is one of the jobs our property mate does. He makes house calls 4~6 days a week for a company. It is a very difficult job for him to do, so much grief. Veterinarians are more likely to commit suicide.
https://todaysveterinarynurse.com/articl...chnicians/
We support him in these efforts, but also want him to leave this gig for his health.

I am sure that's why my guy stopped doing it years ago. I make conversation while he is here, distracting both of us. Plenty of time to grieve after he leaves, I don't want to burden him with that.

you are wise and rare indeed, Dom.
test signature
The following 1 user Likes skyking's post:
  • mordant