Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What if......

What if......
(01-28-2021, 10:07 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(01-28-2021, 09:59 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(01-28-2021, 08:40 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Yes, the butterfly effect is fascinating to me.  There are movies that deal with this type of alternative history. There was one movie I happen onto one Saturday afternoon  but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. The character kept going back and forth between being a child and an adult and some crucial decision he made as a boy that altered his life.  I wish I could remember the name of it.

The movie's name was "The Butterfly Effect." Big Grin

Facepalm

How stupid can I get!

lol, getting old sucks, don't it?
On hiatus.

What if......
(01-28-2021, 11:48 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(01-28-2021, 10:07 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(01-28-2021, 09:59 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: The movie's name was "The Butterfly Effect." Big Grin

Facepalm

How stupid can I get!

Actually I didn't catch the title of the movie when I was watching it because I started watching it about 1/3 of the way through.   At the time we didn't have a fancy TV that had an info button on it so I never knew the name of it.
                                                         T4618

What if......
(01-29-2021, 12:37 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(01-28-2021, 11:48 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(01-28-2021, 10:07 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Facepalm

How stupid can I get!

Actually I didn't catch the title of the movie when I was watching it because I started watching it about 1/3 of the way through.   At the time we didn't have a fancy TV that had an info button on it so I never knew the name of it.

Well, shit, I guess I should keep my senior moments to myself!
On hiatus.

What if......
(01-29-2021, 01:22 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(01-29-2021, 12:37 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(01-28-2021, 11:48 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: lol, getting old sucks, don't it?

That's ok.

There was another movie which was more about time travel called "Time After Time".  It's from 1979 with Malcom McDowell   (the Clockwork Orange guy)  and he plays the author H. G. Wells who persues Jack the Ripper from 1883  into 20th century San Francisco in his time machine.    What is interesting is H. G Wells realization and shock  that the future world is not the Utopian society he was certain it would be.  The future is full of violent serial killers similar to Jack the Ripper of Victorian London.   The Zodiac Killer had been terrorizing San Francisco in the 1970's.   Not a great movie and the special effects are stupid but the film kinda interesting.    I think it's based on a book but I could be wrong.
                                                         T4618

What if......
(01-29-2021, 02:18 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(01-29-2021, 01:22 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(01-29-2021, 12:37 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Actually I didn't catch the title of the movie when I was watching it because I started watching it about 1/3 of the way through.   At the time we didn't have a fancy TV that had an info button on it so I never knew the name of it.

That's ok.

There was another movie which was more about time travel called "Time After Time".  It's from 1979 with Malcom McDowell   (the Clockwork Orange guy)  and he plays the author H. G. Wells who persues Jack the Ripper from 1883  into 20th century San Francisco in his time machine.    What is interesting is H. G Wells realization and shock  that the future world is not the Utopian society he was certain it would be.  The future is full of violent serial killers similar to Jack the Ripper of Victorian London.   The Zodiac Killer had been terrorizing San Francisco in the 1970's.   Not a great movie and the special effects are stupid but the film kinda interesting.    I think it's based on a book but I could be wrong.

I remember the movie. I remember it being called The Time Machine but I don't trust my memory, so whatever. But I remember his issues with the SFPD, it was a cool watch.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Dancefortwo

What if......
What if, all along, Trump was actually working secretly but directly for the Russian
government in an attempt to bring down its most hated adversary?  And what if
Trump were to sneak out of America with millions of previously secreted dollars in
order to join the Russian oligarchs and live out the rest of his life as a Russian hero,
and with a lifestyle of astounding luxury and security?

Notably, Russia does not have an extradition treaty with the USA.

He'd even get to keep his money-grubbing young whore, the Communist Slovenian
born Melanija Knavs in his bed—which I'm sure would be more than welcomed by the
current Russian leadership as a another swipe at the Americans.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

What if......
(01-29-2021, 05:12 PM)SYZ Wrote: What if, all along, Trump was actually working secretly but directly for the Russian
Trump were to sneak out of America with millions of previously secreted dollars in
order to join the Russian oligarchs and live out the rest of his life as a Russian hero,

born Melanija Knavs in his bed—which I'm sure would be more than welcomed by the

He won't go to Russia. It'll tarnish his brand and ruin any chance of his influencing the GOP.

He'll live out his last days here, fighting legal actions, proclaiming the Stolen Election™, and using that stab-in-the-back legend to generate more donations from dupes.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • SYZ, Dancefortwo

What if......
(01-29-2021, 07:53 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(01-29-2021, 05:12 PM)SYZ Wrote: What if, all along, Trump was actually working secretly but directly for the Russian

He won't go to Russia. It'll tarnish his brand and ruin any chance of his influencing the GOP.

He'll live out his last days here, fighting legal actions, proclaiming the Stolen Election™, and using that stab-in-the-back legend to generate more donations from dupes.

I could start a thread titled, "If only".  If only trumps parents had used birth control when he was unfortunately concieved.  Damnit!  A simple trip to the drug store....
                                                         T4618

What if......
(01-29-2021, 08:59 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(01-29-2021, 07:53 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

I could start a thread titled, "If only".  If only trumps parents had used birth control when he was unfortunately concieved.  Damnit!  A simple trip to the drug store....

At the very least they should have strangled him in the crib.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Dancefortwo, TheGentlemanBastard

What if......
(01-29-2021, 08:59 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: If only trumps parents had used birth control when he was unfortunately conceived.  Damnit!  A simple trip to the drug store....

Rumour has it that Trump was the result of a failed abortion.      Tongue
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Dancefortwo

What if......
I always like the one about "what if Napoleon had won at Waterloo."  (Not so far fetched.  Had Blucher been an hour or two later Wellington would have been toast.)  But the answer is that then Napoleon would have had to face the Russians and Austrians who were slowly making their way west to join in.  True, General Rapp gave the Austrians an ass-kicking at La Souffel but that was just one corps and there were plenty more.

And even if Napoleon had won and survived the later campaigns of 1816 which were sure to come because the old monarchies were not going to stop their shit, he still had stomach cancer and the only reason he lived to 1821 was because he was in an enforced retirement on St. Helena.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

What if......
(02-01-2021, 08:38 PM)Minimalist Wrote: I always like the one about "what if Napoleon had won at Waterloo."  (Not so far fetched.  Had Blucher been an hour or two later Wellington would have been toast.)  But the answer is that then Napoleon would have had to face the Russians and Austrians who were slowly making their way west to join in.  True, General Rapp gave the Austrians an ass-kicking at La Souffel but that was just one corps and there were plenty more.

And even if Napoleon had won and survived the later campaigns of 1816 which were sure to come because the old monarchies were not going to stop their shit, he still had stomach cancer and the only reason he lived to 1821 was because he was in an enforced retirement on St. Helena.

Maybe a deserted island is the perfect place for trump too.
                                                         T4618

What if......
One with a great big volcano on it.

A smoking volcano.

With lava pouring down the sides.

What if......
(02-02-2021, 12:56 AM)Minimalist Wrote: One with a great big volcano on it.

A smoking volcano.

With lava pouring down the sides.

It's a pity he's not a virgin.

Can we throw him in anyway? Is there a rule against that?
On hiatus.

What if......
I won't complain.