Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The trump chronicles (topical thread)

I'm thinking this thread can be a catch-all for the daily trumpian escapades. A lot of things pass through the news cycle and are forgotten. We can still make new threads about ongoing things, like Cohen or Manafort or the tariffs etc.

Here are some recent tweets:

Quote: @realDonaldTrump 1d1 day ago
 More

I am watching the Democrat Party led (because they want Open Borders and existing weak laws) assault on our country by Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador, whose leaders are doing little to stop this large flow of people, INCLUDING MANY CRIMINALS, from entering Mexico to U.S.....
Quote:@realDonaldTrump 1d1 day ago
 More

....In addition to stopping all payments to these countries, which seem to have almost no control over their population, I must, in the strongest of terms, ask Mexico to stop this onslaught - and if unable to do so I will call up the U.S. Military and CLOSE OUR SOUTHERN BORDER!..

More

....The assault on our country at our Southern Border, including the Criminal elements and DRUGS pouring in, is far more important to me, as President, than Trade or the USMCA. Hopefully Mexico will stop this onslaught at their Northern Border. All Democrats fault for weak laws!
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 6 users Like Dom's post:
  • Yonadav, pablo, Gawdzilla Sama, julep, M.Linoge, Antipholus

I have always wondered why Trump thinks that it is the responsibility of Latin American countries to prevent their people from entering the U.S. It is bizarre. I grew up during the Cold War and one of our huge criticisms of the Soviets was that they didn't allow their citizens to leave. And now we have a president who wants other nations to prevent their citizens from leaving. I have heard people wondering why Mexico doesn't do something to keep their people from trying to cross the border. Why would they? Do we really think that the Mexico should have a totalitarian regime that prevents people from leaving?
The following 7 users Like Yonadav's post:
  • Dom, Alan V, Chas, Deesse23, M.Linoge, Joods, Antipholus

(10-19-2018, 02:01 PM)Dom Wrote: I'm thinking this thread can be a catch-all for the daily trumpian escapades. A lot of things pass through the news cycle and are forgotten. We can still make new threads about ongoing things, like Cohen or Manafort or the tariffs etc.

I like the idea of not having 30 different threads devoted to The Orange Dumb.  Heart
I've recently grown rudimentary legs and I am now making the move from water to land.
[Image: 7GV4EnI.png?1]

So, yesterday he held a speech praising a politician who body slammed a reporter. This just after a reporter for a US paper was killed and dismembered.  Angry
The following 7 users Like Dom's post:
  • Yonadav, pablo, abaris, julep, Alan V, Kim, Joods

(10-19-2018, 02:55 PM)Yonadav Wrote: I have always wondered why Trump thinks that it is the responsibility of Latin American countries to prevent their people from entering the U.S.  It is bizarre.  I grew up during the Cold War and one of our huge criticisms of the Soviets was that they didn't allow their citizens to leave.  And now we have a president who wants other nations to prevent their citizens from leaving.  I have heard people wondering why Mexico doesn't do something to keep their people from trying to cross the border.  Why would they?  Do we really think that the Mexico should have a totalitarian regime that prevents people from leaving?

It is strange.  Why is Mexico supposed to block a bunch of people headed from South America through Mexico to the US?  Just because Trump insists?
The following 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Yonadav, Dom

Robert Reich on America's Most Dangerous Export:

The following 1 user Likes Yonadav's post:
  • Alan V

(10-19-2018, 02:55 PM)Yonadav Wrote: I have always wondered why Trump thinks that it is the responsibility of Latin American countries to prevent their people from entering the U.S.  It is bizarre.  I grew up during the Cold War and one of our huge criticisms of the Soviets was that they didn't allow their citizens to leave.  And now we have a president who wants other nations to prevent their citizens from leaving.  I have heard people wondering why Mexico doesn't do something to keep their people from trying to cross the border.  Why would they?  Do we really think that the Mexico should have a totalitarian regime that prevents people from leaving?

T.rump isn't interested in geopolitics, he's interested in marketing himself.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

(10-19-2018, 09:34 PM)Dom Wrote: So, yesterday he held a speech praising a politician who body slammed a reporter. This just after a reporter for a US paper was killed and dismembered.  Angry

Because he'd like to be able to dismember journalists too. Every rightwing wannabe thinks that way.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The following 6 users Like abaris's post:
  • RobbyPants, Deesse23, Smercury44, Kim, Joods, Antipholus

(10-19-2018, 02:01 PM)Dom Wrote: I'm thinking this thread can be a catch-all for the daily trumpian escapades. A lot of things pass through the news cycle and are forgotten. We can still make new threads about ongoing things, like Cohen or Manafort or the tariffs etc.

More

I am watching the Democrat Party led (because they want Open Borders and existing weak laws) assault on our country by Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador, whose leaders are doing little to stop this large flow of people, INCLUDING MANY CRIMINALS, from entering Mexico to U.S.....
 More

....In addition to stopping all payments to these countries, which seem to have almost no control over their population, I must, in the strongest of terms, ask Mexico to stop this onslaught - and if unable to do so I will call up the U.S. Military and CLOSE OUR SOUTHERN BORDER!..

More

....The assault on our country at our Southern Border, including the Criminal elements and DRUGS pouring in, is far more important to me, as President, than Trade or the USMCA. Hopefully Mexico will stop this onslaught at their Northern Border. All Democrats fault for weak laws!

Assault on the US? Order a military buildup in the South?

His he actively trying to threaten Central America with invasion, or is he too stupid to see that connotation?
Breathing takes too much effort.

(10-20-2018, 11:00 AM)Mediocharist Wrote:

More

More

More

Assault on the US? Order a military buildup in the South?

His he actively trying to threaten Central America with invasion, or is he too stupid to see that connotation?

Yeah, I have been alarmed by the warspeak that he is using, too.  I am concerned that he is trying to escalate the situation into something that he can declare a national emergency.
The following 1 user Likes Yonadav's post:
  • Deesse23

Big trouble coming up! Secretary Mattis is expected to resign after November. And just yesterday, John Kelly and John Bolton got into a screaming match over border security. Some are saying that John Kelly might leave.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/10/2...tis-868568

(10-20-2018, 10:36 AM)abaris Wrote: Because he'd like to be able to dismember journalists too. Every rightwing wannabe thinks that way.

No kidding.

[Image: 636141217181173789-ropetreejournalistreu...6&fit=crop]
The following 5 users Like RobbyPants's post:
  • abaris, pablo, Smercury44, Kim, Antipholus

[Image: one-frame-the-shattered-statue-of-liberty-in-the_7.jpg]
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • pablo, Joods

(10-20-2018, 11:00 AM)Mediocharist Wrote: Assault on the US? Order a military buildup in the South?

I don't see that connotation at all.  Sometimes a fanatical desire to not allow a mass migration across a border really is just a fanatical desire to not allow a mass migration across a border.

(10-20-2018, 06:53 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(10-20-2018, 11:00 AM)Mediocharist Wrote: Assault on the US? Order a military buildup in the South?

I don't see that connotation at all.  Sometimes a fanatical desire to not allow a mass migration across a border really is just a fanatical desire to not allow a mass migration across a border.

They come to ask for ASYLUM. Very few are ever accepted. We have laws for that.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Kim

(10-20-2018, 06:57 PM)Dom Wrote:
(10-20-2018, 06:53 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:

Not sure how that relates to the question of why the military is being sent to the border...?

(10-20-2018, 07:07 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(10-20-2018, 06:57 PM)Dom Wrote:
(10-20-2018, 06:53 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: I don't see that connotation at all.  Sometimes a fanatical desire to not allow a mass migration across a border really is just a fanatical desire to not allow a mass migration across a border.

Not sure how that relates to the question of why the military is being sent to the border...?

You talk about the military preventing a mass migration across the border. We have laws and law enforcement there for that. Military is not to be used for civil matters unless there is an emergency like floods or fires etc., and then it's the national guard next in line after the usual agency responsible.

(10-20-2018, 07:31 PM)Dom Wrote:
(10-20-2018, 07:07 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(10-20-2018, 06:57 PM)Dom Wrote: They come to ask for ASYLUM. Very few are ever accepted. We have laws for that.

You talk about the military preventing a mass migration across the border. We have laws and law enforcement there for that. Military is not to be used for civil matters unless there is an emergency like floods or fires etc., and then it's the national guard next in line after the usual agency responsible.

Okay I gotcha.  I didn't mean rightly or wrongly the military was being used to prevent mass migration, I just meant that's what it is actually doing (or would be if it occurs), as opposed to Mediocharist's suggestion, which seems inconceivable. 

That said, to the rightness or wrongness of the military being sent, I'm not against it.  Obviously not in mass, but a unit or two to ensure order at particular entry choke points seems a reasonable preparation.
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Yonadav

The police is there to insure order, as is the national guard. 

Using the military against unarmed women and children (the bulk of the asylum seekers) is setting a very bad precedent.
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • abaris, Kim

(10-20-2018, 09:18 PM)Dom Wrote: The police is there to insure order, as is the national guard. 

Using the military against unarmed women and children (the bulk of the asylum seekers) is setting a very bad precedent.

It's a numbers game, probably better to have the bodies than in the heat of a situation realize you don't have enough cops, then maybe pushing and shoving gets too physical, somebody feels overwhelmed and pulls a trigger, then you have potential for disaster.  National Guard when called basically looks and feels like the regular military (relative to the task under consideration) I see no reason to disrupt their lives when surely we have some small unit of regulars in country not doing anything.

What's your source on the bulk being women and children? (not to be argumentative, but curious)

(10-20-2018, 09:34 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(10-20-2018, 09:18 PM)Dom Wrote: The police is there to insure order, as is the national guard. 

It's a numbers game, probably better to have the bodies than in the heat of a situation realize you don't have enough cops, then maybe pushing and shoving gets too physical, somebody feels overwhelmed and pulls a trigger, then you have potential for disaster.  National Guard when called basically looks and feels like the regular military (relative to the task under consideration) I see no reason to disrupt their lives when surely we have some small unit of regulars in country not doing anything.

What's your source on the bulk being women and children? (not to be argumentative, but curious)
I've been watching them on TV. Mostly women and kids.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Kim

(10-20-2018, 09:49 PM)Dom Wrote:
(10-20-2018, 09:34 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: It's a numbers game, probably better to have the bodies than in the heat of a situation realize you don't have enough cops, then maybe pushing and shoving gets too physical, somebody feels overwhelmed and pulls a trigger, then you have potential for disaster.  National Guard when called basically looks and feels like the regular military (relative to the task under consideration) I see no reason to disrupt their lives when surely we have some small unit of regulars in country not doing anything.

Okay thanks.  Could well be right but it kind of puts you at the mercy of what the cameraperson chooses to film

(10-20-2018, 09:52 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(10-20-2018, 09:34 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: It's a numbers game, probably better to have the bodies than in the heat of a situation realize you don't have enough cops, then maybe pushing and shoving gets too physical, somebody feels overwhelmed and pulls a trigger, then you have potential for disaster.  National Guard when called basically looks and feels like the regular military (relative to the task under consideration) I see no reason to disrupt their lives when surely we have some small unit of regulars in country not doing anything.

Okay thanks.  Could well be right but it kind of puts you at the mercy of what the cameraperson chooses to film

They let the women and children cross into Mexico first.  I don't know if the men have crossed yet.  Pompeo claimed that they were using the women and children as human shields.  I don't see how that makes sense, since I think that it was Mexico's call to have the women and children enter first.

Sorry that I forgot to include the link about where I got the information on women and children crossing first.  Here it is:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/19/americas/...index.html

(10-20-2018, 10:00 PM)Yonadav Wrote:
(10-20-2018, 09:49 PM)Dom Wrote: I've been watching them on TV. Mostly women and kids.

They let the women and children cross into Mexico first.  I don't know if the men have crossed yet.  Pompeo claimed that they were using the women and children as human shields.  I don't see how that makes sense, since I think that it was Mexico's call to have the women and children enter first.

From your CNN link I read: "As the migrants formed into lines, Mexican authorities allowed a trickle of them, starting with women and children, to pass through gates and board buses for refugee camps."  Doesn't mean men aren't allowed or come next, and the rest of the article looks like it's quite chaotic: "Honduran migrants in a massive caravan surged across a bridge leading to Mexico on Friday before they were halted in a chaotic confrontation with a phalanx of Mexican police in riot gear.

Chanting and cheering migrants pushed through or climbed over a steel gate until police threw tear gas and smoke canisters and pushed the migrants back. Video showed coughing and weeping migrants collapsed on the bridge. Several police and an undetermined number of migrants were injured."