Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
The Biden Chronicles (topical thread)

(02-25-2021, 10:10 PM)SYZ Wrote:
(02-25-2021, 07:13 AM)Deesse23 Wrote: ...Its rather something q.e.d-ish.

Ha haaa... Can I use this?  I love it.       Big Grin

Permission granted Deadpan Coffee Drinker
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 1 user Likes Deesse23's post:
  • SYZ

(02-25-2021, 07:13 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 11:14 PM)mordant Wrote: Maybe in, say, six month's time when the administration's honeymoon period is over and everyone has had a sufficient celebratory post-Trump bender, they'll be more willing to entertain constructive criticism of the administration and less willing to regard simple disagreement as some kind of faux pas, an expression of stupidity or impracticality or immaturity.
I dont think its a particularly good idea to react to accusation of poisining the well, by keeping to poison the well. Its rather someting q.e.d-ish.
You guys don't know the difference between making a reasonable prediction based on past experience and concocting something speculative out of my ass with no basis whatsoever to disingenuously "win" an argument.

I'm really just trying to understand how people can be so sanguine about this state of affairs. 35 days into this administration and it can't do something as drop-dead simple as pass a minimum wage hike that is (1) way over due and (2) wildly popular with voters and (3) a campaign promise with (4) majority control of both houses; they're literally falling all over themselves to find an excuse not to (the parliamentarian advises against using the reconciliation process for a simple majority vote, contrary to multiple legal experts, so let's ignore the voices of millions of voters because this one guy no voter has ever heard of says no!) ... but they CAN find the wherewithal to bomb Syria.

And "most" people's response is, well, we need the rest of the bill, and it's early days, and things take time, and would you rather have had Trump in office? Don't be so negative!!

Mark my words (this is another prediction, or well-poisoning, or whatever tf "most" people want to call it): with unforced errors like this we're headed for something way worse than Trump.
The following 2 users Like mordant's post:
  • Szuchow, Aroura

(02-26-2021, 12:07 PM)mordant Wrote:
(02-25-2021, 07:13 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 11:14 PM)mordant Wrote: Maybe in, say, six month's time when the administration's honeymoon period is over and everyone has had a sufficient celebratory post-Trump bender, they'll be more willing to entertain constructive criticism of the administration and less willing to regard simple disagreement as some kind of faux pas, an expression of stupidity or impracticality or immaturity.
I dont think its a particularly good idea to react to accusation of poisining the well, by keeping to poison the well. Its rather someting q.e.d-ish.
You guys don't know the difference between making a reasonable prediction based on past experience and concocting something speculative out of my ass with no basis whatsoever to disingenuously "win" an argument.

I'm really just trying to understand how people can be so sanguine about this state of affairs. 35 days into this administration and it can't do something as drop-dead simple as pass a minimum wage hike that is (1) way over due and (2) wildly popular with voters and (3) a campaign promise with (4) majority control of both houses; they're literally falling all over themselves to find an excuse not to (the parliamentarian advises against using the reconciliation process for a simple majority vote, contrary to multiple legal experts, so let's ignore the voices of millions of voters because this one guy no voter has ever heard of says no!) ... but they CAN find the wherewithal to bomb Syria.

And "most" people's response is, well, we need the rest of the bill, and it's early days, and things take time, and would you rather have had Trump in office? Don't be so negative!!

Mark my words (this is another prediction, or well-poisoning, or whatever tf "most" people want to call it): with unforced errors like this we're headed for something way worse than Trump.

It got thrown out by congress. The reason is that the bill won't get the votes it needs with the wage in it. 

I don't know why you want a giant relief bill to be obstructed in congress. 

Biden has no power over congressional votes. A president can't direct congress to vote a certain way. 

Now the bill will pass and relief is on the way for millions who suffer, schools will get the PE they need to stay open, mom and pop stores and restaurants will be rescued, health care will improve for millions etc. I don't understand for the life of me why that is bad.

Relief needs to get out NOW, not sit in congress for months while people try to persuade or coerce other members to vote a certain way.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 3 users Like Dom's post:
  • abaris, Deesse23, SYZ

WASHINGTON — President Joe Biden on Thursday ordered airstrikes on buildings in Syria that the Pentagon said were used by Iranian-backed militias, in retaliation for rocket attacks on U.S. targets in neighboring Iraq.
The strikes killed at least 22 people, London-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said on Friday, citing unconfirmed local reports.

Pentagon press secretary John Kirby portrayed the bombing in eastern Syria as carefully calibrated, calling it “proportionate” and “defensive.”
The operation was the first known use of military force by the Biden administration, which has for weeks emphasized plans to focus more on challenges posed by China.

The president’s decision appeared aimed at sending a signal to Iran and its proxies in the region that Washington would not tolerate attacks on its personnel in Iraq, even at a sensitive diplomatic moment.

Three rocket attacks in one week in Iraq, including a deadly strike that hit a U.S.-led coalition base in the northern Iraqi town of Irbil, presented a test for Biden only weeks after assuming the presidency. The rocket assaults coincided with a diplomatic initiative launched by the administration to try to revive a 2015 nuclear agreement between Iran and world powers.

The airstrikes “were authorized in response to recent attacks against American and coalition personnel in Iraq, and to ongoing threats to those personnel,” Kirby said in a statement.

The operation “destroyed multiple facilities located at a border control point used by a number of Iranian-backed militant groups,” including Kataib Hezbollah and Kataib Sayyid al-Shuhada, he said.

Syrian and Iranian officials did not immediately react to the strikes.

Russia, one of Syrian President Bashar Assad's chief backers, said it was given just four or five minutes' warning before the strikes.
“This kind of notification does nothing when the strike is literally already on its way,” Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov told reporters in Moscow.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said most of the 22 people killed in the bombings were members of Iraqi militias. The monitoring group did not provide details about how it obtained that figure but Rami Abdulrahman, head of the rights organization, told NBC News it was based on speaking to sources inside Syria.

(02-26-2021, 12:16 PM)Dom Wrote:
(02-26-2021, 12:07 PM)mordant Wrote:
(02-25-2021, 07:13 AM)Deesse23 Wrote: I dont think its a particularly good idea to react to accusation of poisining the well, by keeping to poison the well. Its rather someting q.e.d-ish.

It got thrown out by congress. The reason is that the bill won't get the votes it needs with the wage in it. 

Biden has no power over congressional votes. A president can't direct congress to vote a certain way. 

Now the bill will pass and relief is on the way for millions who suffer, schools will get the PE they need to stay open, mom and pop stores and restaurants will be rescued, health care will improve for millions etc. I don't understand for the life of me why that is bad.

Relief needs to get out NOW, not sit in congress for months while people try to persuade or coerce other members to vote a certain way.
Biden has "no power" but he has "tremendous influence". It's this thing called "leadership".

The only way congress can "throw something out" is to vote it down. What congress has done is to avoid going on record.

Harris could override the parliamentarian and force a vote. Even the media admitted this morning that the bill would "most likely pass" even in that event, since even DINOs like Manchin and Sinema would be reluctant to actually stand against the will of the voters. And they went on to say that this decision "makes Schumer's job easier", which I would argue is the real, main justification.

Even if the bill had not passed, in the present environment it wouldn't "sit in Congress for months". It would come back in another configuration rather quickly. And that is how you win, you keep trying until you overcome the opposition. You don't capitulate in advance.

Democrats keep insisting they have "no power" even when they control the White House and both houses of Congress. Until they figure out how to use the power they actually have at least as ruthlessly as the GOP, they will continue to cede that power. The sad fact is that this is not a real concern to Democratic leadership, as for them it's not about policy but about optics, conflict avoidance, and pleasing their wealthy donors who have them on a short leash.
The following 3 users Like mordant's post:
  • Szuchow, Thumpalumpacus, Aroura

(02-26-2021, 02:20 PM)mordant Wrote:
(02-26-2021, 12:16 PM)Dom Wrote:
(02-26-2021, 12:07 PM)mordant Wrote: You guys don't know the difference between making a reasonable prediction based on past experience and concocting something speculative out of my ass with no basis whatsoever to disingenuously "win" an argument.

Biden has "no power" but he has "tremendous influence". It's this thing called "leadership".

The only way congress can "throw something out" is to vote it down. What congress has done is to avoid going on record.

Harris could override the parliamentarian and force a vote. Even the media admitted this morning that the bill would "most likely pass" even in that event, since even DINOs like Manchin and Sinema would be reluctant to actually stand against the will of the voters. And they went on to say that this decision "makes Schumer's job easier", which I would argue is the real, main justification.

Even if the bill had not passed, in the present environment it wouldn't "sit in Congress for months". It would come back in another configuration rather quickly. And that is how you win, you keep trying until you overcome the opposition. You don't capitulate in advance.

Democrats keep insisting they have "no power" even when they control the White House and both houses of Congress. Until they figure out how to use the power they actually have at least as ruthlessly as the GOP, they will continue to cede that power. The sad fact is that this is not a real concern to Democratic leadership, as for them it's not about policy but about optics, conflict avoidance, and pleasing their wealthy donors who have them on a short leash.

I think Manchin would throw it under the bus. His constituents don't want the minimum wage accepted as is proposed. He has a very fine line to tread. I don't see any deal that would outweigh the repercussions from his constituents. What sort of deal do you have in mind? What can you give him that would placate his constituents?

(02-26-2021, 12:07 PM)mordant Wrote: You guys don't know the difference between making a reasonable prediction based on past experience and concocting something speculative out of my ass with no basis whatsoever to disingenuously "win" an argument.

"You guys won't change your minds about Biden in four years" is not, repeat not, a reasonable prediction. It's a slap at people who disagree with you. That's fine, make this the hill you want to fight over. You'd be better off simply acknowledging that you fucked up, but hey, we've seen how hard that can be for some people, now haven't we?
On hiatus.

The House passed sweeping legislation on Thursday to ban discrimination against people based on sexual orientation and gender identity, delivering a major victory to the LGBTQ community — while exposing an ugly rift in the GOP.

The Equality Act, which would amend the 1964 Civil Rights Act to provide protections for LGBTQ individuals, garnered unanimous support from House Democrats on its way to approval on a 224-206 vote. Three Republicans crossed party lines to join Democrats to endorse the bill, less than half of the number of GOP votes the measure got the last time it came to the floor.

But some Republicans worry that this week's controversial antics from Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.), who harassed Rep. Marie Newman (D-Ill.) over her transgender daughter, have stomped on their attempts to sensitively communicate why they are opposed to the LGBTQ rights bill. Most Republicans say they oppose the measure due to its perceived infringement on religious freedom, not out of discriminatory sentiment toward LGBTQ people — a fine line that Greene has effectively erased.

The Greene-Newman incident has revived a thorny issue for the GOP, which has wrestled over its stance on gay marriage and battled accusations that it's not inclusive or protective of LGBTQ rights. Just last year, former Rep. Denver Riggleman (R-Va.) was censured by his state party for officiating a same-sex marriage; he wound up losing his primary race.

Rep. Dan Crenshaw (R-Texas), who is hosting a transgender person on his podcast next week to discuss military issues, said it’s “pretty damn important” for the GOP to clearly articulate why they oppose this particular bill.

“There’s definitely a wrong way to message everything,” he added.

For Democrats, Greene’s comments about Newman’s daughter only underscore the importance of passing the LGBTQ rights bill, which is unlikely to pass the Senate in its current form. Advocates for the LGBTQ community argue that the sort of federal protections the bill would enshrine are long overdue, especially because more than half of states in the U.S. lack explicit legal protections for those discriminated against on the basis of sexuality or gender identity.

“When you tell people that in a majority of states in this country, you can either be kicked out of your apartment, fired from your job, or denied service in a restaurant because you're gay or in the LGBTQ community, people think that can't be true,” Rep. David Cicilline (D-R.I.), the lead House co-sponsor of the bill, told POLITICO in an interview.

The LGBTQ rights bill would ban discrimination in various areas, including the workplace, housing and education, in addition to federally funded programs. The legislation also would expand the 1964 bill to cover public accommodations to include places like shopping malls, sports arenas, and even websites.

The measure’s House passage comes on the heels of President Joe Biden ending Donald Trump’s ban on transgender troops serving in the military. The bill passed the House in 2019, but LGBTQ activists are elated that it now has a shot at becoming law with Biden in the White House.
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • SYZ, skyking

(02-26-2021, 02:29 PM)Dom Wrote:
(02-26-2021, 02:20 PM)mordant Wrote:
(02-26-2021, 12:16 PM)Dom Wrote: It got thrown out by congress. The reason is that the bill won't get the votes it needs with the wage in it. 

I think Manchin would throw it under the bus. His constituents don't want the minimum wage accepted as is proposed. He has a very fine line to tread. I don't see any deal that would outweigh the repercussions from his constituents. What sort of deal do you have in mind? What can you give him that would placate his constituents?
I'm sorry, but this is wrong.
Quote:W.Va (WDTV) - A new poll out in February by the One Fair Wage Coalition claims that 63% of West Virginians support raising the federal minimum wage to $15 an hour by 2025.
It's Manchin himself who says he supports a raise to $11.  That's still better than nothing, but instead they aren't going to fight for any raise at all.
link here
In either case, chances are he'd support it if it went to a vote. But as per usual, Democrats give up before they even have the fight.
The following 2 users Like Aroura's post:
  • Dānu, mordant

(02-26-2021, 04:10 PM)Dom Wrote: Most Republicans say they oppose the measure due to its perceived infringement on religious freedom, not out of discriminatory sentiment toward LGBTQ people [...]

Yeah, like religion has never been used as a fig-leaf for naked bigotry ever before.

If your god doesn't like teh ghey, great. Make sure you're not gay. If your god doesn't like people changing gender, don't go under the knife. Our civil rights trump your god's fits of pique. Keep your religion in your churches.
On hiatus.
The following 5 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • mordant, Fireball, Finite Monkeys, epronovost, isbelldl

(02-26-2021, 02:31 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

"You guys won't change your minds about Biden in four years" is not, repeat not, a reasonable prediction. It's a slap at people who disagree with you. That's fine, make this the hill you want to fight over. You'd be better off simply acknowledging that you fucked up, but hey, we've seen how hard that can be for some people, now haven't we?

I've changed my mind on the presidents I've supported almost every time. The exceptions being Reagan* and Obama. Mordant wants to cast us as complacent, or fixed in our thinking because we understand that you can't always get what you want, but if you try some times, you just might find, you get what you need. That's fine. It's better than the mentality that a marginal majority in the Senate is somehow going to magically prevent obstructionism from rearing it's ugly head, over and over.

*Yes, I was a Regan Republican in my youth, supported mostly by the ignorance of being 11, populism, and mom voting for him.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]

(02-26-2021, 09:26 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(02-26-2021, 02:31 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

I've changed my mind on the presidents I've supported almost every time. The exceptions being Reagan* and Obama. Mordant wants to cast us as complacent, or fixed in our thinking because we understand that you can't always get what you want, but if you try some times, you just might find, you get what you need. That's fine. It's better than the mentality that a marginal majority in the Senate is somehow going to magically prevent obstructionism from rearing it's ugly head, over and over.

*Yes, I was a Regan Republican in my youth, supported mostly by the ignorance of being 11, populism, and mom voting for him.

Girly would have you ground your references.

The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard, skyking

The fact is that there's no waving a magic wand in a democracy. One must take political opposition into account.
On hiatus.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard, Dom, Deesse23

While Postmaster DeJoy gloats "I'm not a political appointee, get used to me", Biden was engineering his ouster:

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/2/...his-ouster

Good.
The following 4 users Like mordant's post:
  • Dom, Aroura, Thumpalumpacus, skyking

Shooting is too good for him.  Same can be said of Fuckface.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • mordant

(02-26-2021, 10:56 PM)mordant Wrote: While Postmaster DeJoy gloats "I'm not a political appointee, get used to me", Biden was engineering his ouster:

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/2/...his-ouster

Good.

This is what happens to people whose alligator mouths overload their mockingbird asses.
On hiatus.
The following 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Minimalist, Fireball, mordant, skyking

Speaking to the damage the Trumpists caused the Post Office, I received 2 Christmas cards this month (yes, February 2021). And it wasn't like they travelled around the world with a wrong address... Bet some ballots arrived late, too. Dejoy has to be removed. And punished for hindering mail delivery...
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!
The following 3 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Fireball, Dom, mordant

He vas only following orders!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Cavebear, Fireball

(02-27-2021, 02:19 AM)Minimalist Wrote: He vas only following orders!

Well, obviously. he didn't get his orders from "die post"... Wink
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Fireball

(02-26-2021, 12:07 PM)mordant Wrote: I'm really just trying to understand how people can be so sanguine about this state of affairs. 35 days into this administration and it can't do something as drop-dead simple as pass a minimum wage hike that is (1) way over due and (2) wildly popular with voters and (3) a campaign promise with (4) majority control of both houses...

Um... You're bitching about the Biden administration after a mere 35 days, when
Trump did nothing about raising the minimum wage for FOUR years.    Seriously?

And your absurd suggestion that Biden could turn out to be worse than Trump is
not worthy of any rational consideration. [we're headed for something way worse than Trump]
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 2 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Cavebear, Chas

(02-27-2021, 04:12 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(02-26-2021, 12:07 PM)mordant Wrote: I'm really just trying to understand how people can be so sanguine about this state of affairs. 35 days into this administration and it can't do something as drop-dead simple as pass a minimum wage hike that is (1) way over due and (2) wildly popular with voters and (3) a campaign promise with (4) majority control of both houses...

not worthy of any rational consideration. [we're headed for something way worse than Trump]

I would "like" you 2x for that if I could.
The following 2 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • SYZ, Minimalist

(02-27-2021, 04:48 AM)Cavebear Wrote:

I would "like" you 2x for that if I could.

I don't think he meant Biden would be worse than trump. I think he meant that we will soon have a president who is worse than trump. But I am just guessing.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Aroura

Yes, seriously. Again:

1) It's absurdly overdue
2) Voters overwhelmingly want it
3) Voters were explicitly promised it
4) It will be super beneficial to the economy and will ease gobbets of human suffering
5) It is entirely doable and should not be on the table or in the hands of the parliamentarian, who can be ruled out of order.

(02-27-2021, 04:12 AM)SYZ Wrote: And your absurd suggestion that Biden could turn out to be worse than Trump is 
Except that's not at all what I'm suggesting, or have ever suggested.

What I'm saying is that if Democrats don't substantially deliver on their promises to voters, we can expect a Republican to be in office in '24 and if that happens it will likely be something far worse than Trump, whose worst excesses were somewhat compensated for by his incurious, lazy, incoherent and undisciplined approach to the Presidency. This has been my consistent message for at least two years: you don't want Trump plus discipline and ideological fervor. Again, please try to pay attention.

If you pay attention you'll also notice that I've conceded that Republicans are married to unforced errors of their own to such an extent that the situation on the ground is muddier than that. In other words the GOP might succeed in making itself odious enough to enough voters that it will overcome the lack of organic enthusiasm for the '24 Dem candidate, whether that's Biden, Harris or someone else. After all, that's the very basis of Biden's victory in '20. Or as the Daily Show had it in parodying the Biden campaign ad, "Joe Biden: Adequate Under the Circumstances". In a way, this concerns me almost more than Cruz or Cotton or some other authoritarian, fascistic asshat winning on the GOP side in '24, because then you just push the problem off to '28 when the response will be even more reactionary and polarized. I honestly don't know which will be worse for us in the long run.
The following 4 users Like mordant's post:
  • Aroura, Szuchow, epronovost, Cavebear

Liked this one Smile
https://www.trendsmap.com/twitter/tweet/...4434055170
test signature

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/54...n-new-poll

President Biden is starting his tenure in White House with the approval of 61 percent of voters, according to a new Harvard CAPS-Harris Poll survey released exclusively to The Hill on Monday.

Biden’s initial approval numbers are markedly higher than those of former President Trump when he first took office. The first Harvard CAPS-Harris Poll survey of Trump’s presidency, conducted in February 2017, showed his approval rating at 48 percent.

Only about 39 percent of respondents said they disapprove of the job Biden is doing in the White House, according to the poll.

Meanwhile, over at Gallup, Trump's approval rating is 34%.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Dom