Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
The Biden Chronicles (topical thread)

(09-09-2022, 05:27 PM)Rhythmcs Wrote:
(09-09-2022, 04:41 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  This poll from Pew doesn't show legalization making any impact on potential turnout:

That poll also has the three main existential issues we face rounding out the very bottom.  I think the poll just shows what low information voters who answer the telephone (or whatever) have on mind - not what issues would impact turnout.

I'm a single issue non voter.  I don't vote on the basis of the race war or the value of a dollar - at the top and bottom of that poll,  because I think all of that is the brass on the titanic.  If dems used those polls to devise their platform it would ensure that neither myself or anyone like myself voted for them for any reason other than disliking the other guy more.  I might actually crawl out of my little bunker to vote on legalization for economic reasons...as a user, I don't give a shit about it's legality.  Never have. Mostly, though,  because I think that's also a huge part of any credible project to profitably regreen this continent.

Sure. I'm not saying no voters care about it, just that as a motivating issue it doesn't really register. And yes, I find it concerning that the majority of folks don't seem to care much about issues I think are critical.
On hiatus.

It's about percentages.  If just a couple of percentage points worth of stoners manage to register and vote it could help in tight races.

The Magatards have been written off.  There is nothing anyone can say to them that will break them from their devotion to Fuckface.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Doesn't really register to whom? People who already vote and answer polls..or people who would make up the hoped for excess turnout above whatever that is?

If a republican ran a climate candidacy - I'd vote for them.
If a democrat ran a climate candidacy - I'd vote for them.
If an independent ran a climate candidacy - I'd vote for them.

-but here's what I think will happen. We're going to be stuck in the choice/anti-choice candidacy cycle that dems will eventually win because nobody actually wanted abortion bans. That doesn't mean that republicans won't draw it out so that it's maximally costly and painful and time consuming. So, one day in some future november, we can have a party celebrating that we've won back our reproductive rights and the next day we can have a funeral for the planet.

YAY!
The following 1 user Likes Rhythmcs's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(09-09-2022, 05:47 PM)Minimalist Wrote: It's about percentages.  If just a couple of percentage points worth of stoners manage to register and vote it could help in tight races.

The Magatards have been written off.  There is nothing anyone can say to them that will break them from their devotion to Fuckface.

That would work unless the Republicans outlaw giving ding dongs and hoho's to voters in line.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

(09-09-2022, 04:18 PM)Aegon Wrote:
(09-06-2022, 01:20 AM)Dānu Wrote: That, or someone pointed out how useful to the Dems it would be to make Trump and MAGA Republicans the main issue in the fall elections.

I don't know what fool would say that. That's the 2016 playbook in a nutshell.

Well, no, but even if it was, I've got a news flash for you, it's no longer 2016.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(09-09-2022, 07:23 PM)Dānu Wrote:
(09-09-2022, 04:18 PM)Aegon Wrote: I don't know what fool would say that. That's the 2016 playbook in a nutshell.

Well, no, but even if it was, I've got a news flash for you, it's no longer 2016.

Yeah you're right, it'll definitely work better this time around. lol
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

(09-09-2022, 08:31 PM)Aegon Wrote:
(09-09-2022, 07:23 PM)Dānu Wrote: Well, no, but even if it was, I've got a news flash for you, it's no longer 2016.

Yeah you're right, it'll definitely work better this time around. lol

There's been an insurrection in the meantime. It turns out that 2016 predictions of radicalism actually came to pass.

Using 2016 as history rather than prediction will probably get more traction. Reminding independents of the dangers of blithe voting can and probably will be more useful than "we're gonna legalize weed, bro."
On hiatus.

Have i been misled or does the candidate for the Republicans in the Georgia senate race conducted right now is an anti abortion football star with severe mental illness issues and a historic or domestic violence? I might have forgotten that, but it did came back up in Canadian mainstream media after revelation he would have paid for the abortion of one of his ex-girlfriends and his own son has qualified him as a violent asshole and a sorry excuse of a father. Of course, the Republican party doesn't seem to give a shit neither do most Republican pundits and Evangelical leaders.
The following 1 user Likes epronovost's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

He did an interview trying to clear things up and came off as some combination of idiot and liar.
The following 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(10-05-2022, 10:30 AM)epronovost Wrote: Have i been misled or does the candidate for the Republicans in the Georgia senate race conducted right now is an anti abortion football star with severe mental illness issues and a historic or domestic violence? I might have forgotten that, but it did came back up in Canadian mainstream media after revelation he would have paid for the abortion of one of his ex-girlfriends and his own son has qualified him as a violent asshole and a sorry excuse of a father. Of course, the Republican party doesn't seem to give a shit neither do most Republican pundits and Evangelical leaders.

I'd say you nailed it.  RepubliKKKunts do not care about what kind of lunatics they run for office.

(10-05-2022, 10:30 AM)epronovost Wrote: Have i been misled or does the candidate for the Republicans in the Georgia senate race conducted right now is an anti abortion football star with severe mental illness issues and a historic or domestic violence? I might have forgotten that, but it did came back up in Canadian mainstream media after revelation he would have paid for the abortion of one of his ex-girlfriends and his own son has qualified him as a violent asshole and a sorry excuse of a father. Of course, the Republican party doesn't seem to give a shit neither do most Republican pundits and Evangelical leaders.

You are generally correct. I've seen fire-hydrants with higher IQs.
On hiatus.

Economy adds 517,000 jobs in January.  Unemployment falls to levels not seen since 1969.  Wall Street is upset.  There is nothing they like better than large number of unemployed to suppress wages which is how those fucks gauge success.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/02/03/...bs-numbers

Quote:After several months of cooling, the economy added far more jobs than economists anticipated. The unemployment rate fell to its lowest level since 1969.
  • [/url]U.S. employers added 517,000 jobs in January.

• Strong hiring hints at more work ahead for the Fed, but wages cool.

• Leisure and hospitality employers led the outsized January gains.

• January’s job growth is a boost for Biden.

• Markets flinch at hot jobs numbers.

• Revisions show even bigger job gains in 2021 and 2022 than previously reported.
    [url=https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/02/03/business/jobs-report-january-economy#jobs-report-january-revisions]
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • SYZ, Thumpalumpacus, Dānu

[Image: this-is-an-outrage-w.jpg]

Vivekananda

You got to admire the vigor and stamina Biden displays in this trip to Europe, including Ukraine. I sure couldn't do it, I'd be tired as all heck.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

*cough* baby blood *cough*
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • Rhythmcs

(02-22-2023, 04:06 PM)Fireball Wrote: *cough* baby blood *cough*

Biden too is an atheist?!

Man, is the Pope in for a surprise.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Fireball

(02-23-2023, 12:10 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(02-22-2023, 04:06 PM)Fireball Wrote: *cough* baby blood *cough*

Biden too is an atheist?!

Man, is the Pope in for a surprise.

Just the fact that he's a Dem is enough, for all those right wing kooks.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(09-09-2022, 04:41 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(09-09-2022, 04:20 PM)Aegon Wrote: More people smoke weed in the US than tobacco for the first time ever, the idea that only stoners are smoking I think is a mistake. There is also the business angle of it.

I just don't see it driving many people to the polls. This poll from Pew doesn't show legalization making any impact on potential turnout:

[Image: PP_2022.08.23_midterms_01-07.png]

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/202...gn-issues/

I suspect it is not just any one issue that decides voters.  It's more of a general approach to rights that decides.  Would I vote for a candidate who favors me in one issue and not most others?  Of course not.  But a general viewpoint towards my overall views matters.  I'm never going to be a "one-issue" voter.  And issues are not even solvable by a President or Party.

So I look at what I consider the most important few and SURPRISE, I generally agree on that candidate on most of the others.  

My view of modern polls is that 1), they don't get most of the voters these days, 2) the interests most voters that are reached aren't really their basic concerns, and 3) most voters vote by emotions and not policy debates.

Looking at the poll another way, the top ones don't affect my voting choices.  The economy is not really something a Presisdent can control.  Guns are too divisive for legislation.  Same with climate control.  Violence is more a matter of urban life and "honor" fights.  I try to pay more attention to things candidates can actually control.
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

What sort of things would that be, if they're not issues, issues being unsolvable by presidents and parties?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I do wonder what the point of government is supposed to be if it can't resolve issues we face. Though I'm sure plenty of our reps love to be let off the hook there, freeing up their time to do the really important work of sucking up lobbyist money. Wink

A surprising number of voters are one-issue (abortion, "I am/am not Trump", etc). Politicians design those issues precisely to make them paramount -- hence, we get wedge issues.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Rhythmcs

Biden's approval polls keep climbing.

Biden budget proposal designed to make republiKKKunts "shit-or-get-off-the-pot."

And they have no answer...as usual.

https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/msnbc-opin...-rcna74190

Quote:The GOP’s phantom budget is Kevin McCarthy’s latest blunder

Were congressional Republicans a functioning party, we’d be able to pit the GOP-controlled House’s proposal against Biden’s.

Quote:Biden’s ambitious budget would raise taxes on the wealthiest people and corporations, particularly large corporations, while offering $1 trillion in tax credits for low- and middle-income people. It calls for billions in new spending on Medicaid, child care, affordable housing and free community college, even as it would reduce the deficit by nearly $3 trillion over 10 years. The budget has its issues — it would extend much of the poorly designed Trump tax cuts, for example. But it would “give working people a fighting chance,” as Biden said Thursday, and it provides a clear platform for the president and his party heading into the 2024 election. 

Were congressional Republicans a functioning party, we’d be able to pit the GOP-controlled House’s proposal against Biden’s. But at this point, all we can say for sure is Biden’s budget exists and the Republicans’ budget doesn’t. House Budget Committee Chairman Jodey Arrington, R-Texas, told CNN on Wednesday that the GOP’s budget release would “probably be the second week in May” before his spokesperson hastily walked back that timeline.

Once again, we know what the republiKKKunts are against and have no idea what they are for.  Except rich fucks.  They are definitely for rich fucks.
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Dānu, Dom, Cavebear

Bidenomics is no joke.

While facing post Covid massive unemployment and government help for small biz and workers alike, he started to implement "from the inside out and the bottom up".  

The US recovered with lightning speed compared to many other countries with good economic base. This resulted, as predicted, in inflation.

Biden kept to his course, maintaining that the inflation was temporary, while a lot of economists screamed about recession.

And guess who was right? Inflation is now on a leash. Unemployment is low, wages are high. And he is just working on getting overtime pay to people previously denied and reducing costs of meds. Just imagine what he could do with a united congress! Vote, people, vote!

Gimme Biden any day, even if he's 100 years old, as long as he still knows how to listen to the right consultants. Gimme Kamala if and when his health fails, long as she keeps those folks around her. 

As far as aging and political office go: Have you ever heard that people stay in good health and live a lot longer these days? Watch for failing health. (There are folks who need to retire out there, but Biden is not one of them). The majority of elderly stays alert and healthy these days, but of course not everyone.

As far as my personal opinion about elderly people working any place: 

WTF are you doing with your lives? Get out there and enjoy the little pleasures life has to offer, instead of following the same old grind, over and over. 

Life just becomes a series of re-runs when you get older - different people, same stories, same bullshit, same mistakes.

Get out of there and watch something you haven't seen.
The following 3 users Like Dom's post:
  • Alan V, pattylt, Cavebear

Quote:Gimme Biden any day, 

The thing is that it is not just Biden.  The President is merely the face of the administration.  The captain of the team if you will.
Fuckface's lunatic assertion that "he could do it all" aside - and the asswipe couldn't do much of anything - I'd rather have Biden's team in place than Fuckface's gaggle of criminals, grifters and assholes.  Even when he accidentally named someone competent that person ended up resigning and calling him a fucking moron.

[Image: main-qimg-fef8ccc1e4e27882f3ea7208243fef46-lq]

I'll take Blinken, Austin, Vilsack, Yellen, Buttigieg, and even Merrick Garland over that sleazebag Barr in the cabinet every day of the week.
We need professionals in those position.  Not political hacks or professional criminals.
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • pattylt, isbelldl

(09-01-2023, 08:28 PM)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Gimme Biden any day, 

The thing is that it is not just Biden.  The President is merely the face of the administration.  The captain of the team if you will.
Fuckface's lunatic assertion that "he could do it all" aside - and the asswipe couldn't do much of anything - I'd rather have Biden's team in place than Fuckface's gaggle of criminals, grifters and assholes.  Even when he accidentally named someone competent that person ended up resigning and calling him a fucking moron.

[Image: main-qimg-fef8ccc1e4e27882f3ea7208243fef46-lq]

I'll take Blinken, Austin, Vilsack, Yellen, Buttigieg, and even Merrick Garland over that sleazebag Barr in the cabinet every day of the week.
We need professionals in those position.  Not political hacks or professional criminals.

Like I said:

Quote:Gimme Biden any day, even if he's 100 years old, as long as he still knows how to listen to the right consultants. Gimme Kamala if and when his health fails, long as she keeps those folks around her. 
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • pattylt, isbelldl