Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
The American Insurrection (topical thread)

(06-04-2021, 04:05 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 03:57 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: If you know it's that unambiguous, then yes, but they know how politics work.  It's not skeevy politicians versus "the good of the nation" it's skeevy politicians versus other skeevy politicians.

I think it's more important to know these things about our politicians than it is to let them play CYA. Whatever the motives of the person throwing rat -- and it may not be a politician at all -- the facts themselves are what's most important. That crooked pols are afraid their misdeeds might be revealed cuts little ice at all.

I understand your position and see that neither of us is cutting ice with the other at all, so I'll let my concerns stand as is and say agree to disagree.
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

This page has videos and pictures of individuals still wanted by the FBI. Capitol Violence — FBI

Here is a list of people who were charged: Capitol Breach Cases | USAO-DC | Department of Justice
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Fireball, Thumpalumpacus

(06-06-2021, 12:57 AM)Dom Wrote: This page has videos and pictures of individuals still wanted by the FBI. Capitol Violence — FBI

I half expected to see one or both of my asshole brothers in those photos. They're booth far-right, trump loving, dem hating fascist fucknuts and dumb enough to think the Jan. 6th insurrection was a good idea.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]

(06-06-2021, 12:57 AM)Dom Wrote: This page has videos and pictures of individuals still wanted by the FBI. Capitol Violence — FBI

Here is a list of people who were charged: Capitol Breach Cases | USAO-DC | Department of Justice

As we discussed, I hope they aren't bothering with just trespassing.  I want the violent ones punished so I hope the ones that are

Quote:Knowingly Entering or Remaining in any Restricted Building or Grounds Without Lawful Authority

Violent Entry and Disorderly Conduct on Capitol Grounds

...actually are the violent turds and not the wandering grandpas.

(06-07-2021, 02:02 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:

As we discussed, I hope they aren't bothering with just trespassing.  I want the violent ones punished so I hope the ones that are

Quote:Knowingly Entering or Remaining in any Restricted Building or Grounds Without Lawful Authority

The second link is a list of all the people who were charged already, and what they were charged with. So now you know what they are "bothering with". Of course we don't know who is striking deals and singing, and who they implicate. They always charge the lowest offense first and work their way up the ladder, picking up more songbirds on the way.
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Alan V

I want the trespassers prosecuted as well. Are we a nation of men, or of law? If you can trespass the Congress and not be prosecuted, what reason do I, a homeowner, have to call the cops hoping for redress when someone trespasses my own property? We're going to pick and choose which laws we enforce and which we ignore, now?

Just because others got violent on 6 Jan doesn't mean trespassers on the same day did not break the law. This idea that these "tourists" should get a free pass is nonsense. They were there, they took advantage of the violence and in doing so broke the law. They knew they were part of breaking and entering, which is illegal in all fifty states so far as I know. The fact that their crimes were lesser doesn't in my mind give them a free pass.
On hiatus.
The following 5 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Dānu, Fireball, SYZ, Alan V, Szuchow

(06-07-2021, 02:43 AM)Dom Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 02:02 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:

The second link is a list of all the people who were charged already, and what they were charged with. So now you know what they are "bothering with". Of course we don't know who is striking deals and singing, and who they implicate. They always charge the lowest offense first and work their way up the ladder, picking up more songbirds on the way.

Yes, I was actually using your second link.  And yes, still hope they aren't "bothering with" mere trespassing; the actual actions and the descriptive words in the charges might not match in reality, so I hope they have strong evidence in each case where they assert "violent entry."  "Disorderly Conduct on Capital Grounds" seems a bit catch-all to me, again, hopefully they have evidence of what they claim.

(06-07-2021, 03:07 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 02:43 AM)Dom Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 02:02 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: As we discussed, I hope they aren't bothering with just trespassing.  I want the violent ones punished so I hope the ones that are

Yes, I was actually using your second link.  And yes, still hope they aren't "bothering with" mere trespassing; the actual actions and the descriptive words in the charges might not match in reality, so I hope they have strong evidence in each case where they assert "violent entry."  "Disorderly Conduct on Capital Grounds" seems a bit catch-all to me, again, hopefully they have evidence of what they claim.

It's all on film. That's how they catch them in the first place.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(06-07-2021, 01:08 PM)Dom Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 02:43 AM)Dom Wrote: The second link is a list of all the people who were charged already, and what they were charged with. So now you know what they are "bothering with". Of course we don't know who is striking deals and singing, and who they implicate. They always charge the lowest offense first and work their way up the ladder, picking up more songbirds on the way.

They also have all the gloating on Twitter these idiots were dumb enough to post. You may quite literally convict them with their own words, in many cases.
On hiatus.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Dom, Alan V, Astreja

(06-07-2021, 02:43 AM)Dom Wrote: The second link is a list of all the people who were charged already, and what they were charged with. So now you know what they are "bothering with". Of course we don't know who is striking deals and singing, and who they implicate. They always charge the lowest offense first and work their way up the ladder, picking up more songbirds on the way.

...and if that's what the film shows then great.  Hopefully the charges on certain individuals (the ones I wouldn't have machine gunned) don't have an overreach that a reasonable jury wouldn't agree to.  I think we all want the same thing here, justice.

(06-07-2021, 03:27 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 03:07 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Yes, I was actually using your second link.  And yes, still hope they aren't "bothering with" mere trespassing; the actual actions and the descriptive words in the charges might not match in reality, so I hope they have strong evidence in each case where they assert "violent entry."  "Disorderly Conduct on Capital Grounds" seems a bit catch-all to me, again, hopefully they have evidence of what they claim.

...and if that's what the film shows then great.  Hopefully the charges on certain individuals (the ones I wouldn't have machine gunned) don't have an overreach that a reasonable jury wouldn't agree to.  I think we all want the same thing here, justice.

dead horse

(06-07-2021, 03:42 PM)Dom Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 03:27 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 01:08 PM)Dom Wrote: It's all on film. That's how they catch them in the first place.

dead horse

Takes two to tango, Dom.  I wasn't beating it alone!

(06-07-2021, 03:53 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 03:42 PM)Dom Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 03:27 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: ...and if that's what the film shows then great.  Hopefully the charges on certain individuals (the ones I wouldn't have machine gunned) don't have an overreach that a reasonable jury wouldn't agree to.  I think we all want the same thing here, justice.

dead horse

And why not the ones not caught on film?
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

(06-07-2021, 04:29 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 03:53 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 03:42 PM)Dom Wrote: dead horse

If "the ones" that committed "Violent Entry and Disorderly Conduct on Capitol Grounds" aren't caught on film but there is convincing evidence to a jury that the charge fits, then they should be punished.  This is pretty simple stuff here, unless you just believe in group guilt and group punishment.
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Cavebear

(06-07-2021, 05:48 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 04:29 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 03:53 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Takes two to tango, Dom.  I wasn't beating it alone!

If "the ones" that committed "Violent Entry and Disorderly Conduct on Capitol Grounds" aren't caught on film but there is convincing evidence to a jury that the charge fits, then they should be punished.  This is pretty simple stuff here, unless you just believe in group guilt and group punishment.

No, that's good.  And pretty good reply BTW.  I respect that.

Quote:Senate investigators have outlined a spectacular series of intelligence and communication failures leading up to the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol in a new report that paints the picture of a horrific scene that left lawmakers and staff scrambling for safety.

[...]

Senate investigators have outlined a spectacular series of intelligence and communication failures leading up to the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol in a new report that paints the picture of a horrific scene that left lawmakers and staff scrambling for safety.

The 127-page report, which includes a transcript of former President Trump’s speech to rallygoers, is the first full congressional committee review of the deadly attack on Congress as it moved to certify President Biden’s election victory.

It pieces together multiple warnings of violence that were poorly circulated and largely went unheeded by top leaders in several agencies. That left Capitol Police forces unprepared for clashes with hundreds of protesters outside and inside the building.

The report follows a series of interviews with security leaders across the Capitol, Pentagon and intelligence community about a day where it took hours for additional security to arrive on the scene as ultimately seven people, including three police officers, would lose their lives in connection with the insurrection.

The joint effort from the Senate Rules Committee and Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee blames bureaucratic delays in getting assistance to Capitol Police officers getting “chaotic, sporadic, and, according to many front-line officers, non-existent” instruction from commanders.

“The failures are obvious. I think to me it was all summed up by one of the things in our report where one of the officers was heard on the radio that day asking the tragically simple question: ‘Does anybody have a plan?’ Sadly, no one did,” said Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), chair of the Senate Rules Committee.

The report shows how people coming to Washington, D.C., shared online maps of the tunnels underneath the Capitol used by lawmakers. It offers a glimpse of previously unreported threats from those planning to attend the rally and makes it clear people discussed bringing weapons.

“If a million patriots [show] up bristling with AR’s, just how brave do you think they’ll be when it comes to enforcing their unconstitutional laws? ... This is do or die. Bring your guns,” one commenter wrote in a Dec. 21 intelligence report.

[...]

Intelligence is faulted throughout the report.

It states that one of Capitol Police’s three intelligence units “did not convey the full scope of known information to USCP leadership, rank-and-file officers, or law enforcement partners” after learning of the intelligence on the tunnels. Nor did the office shift its overall analysis of an intelligence report released just two days later.

Even as a Jan. 3 report warned “Congress itself is the target on the 6th” and could create a “significantly dangerous situation for law enforcement and the general public alike,” the intelligence wasn’t incorporated into subsequent reports leading up to the attack and Capitol Police rated the likelihood of civil disturbance on Jan. 6 as “remote” to “improbable.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/5572...s-on-jan-6

So if you joke about having a bomb in your luggage at the airport, you get interrogated at the very least, but if you seriously plan to attack Congress, no big deal. What were these cops thinking?
On hiatus.
The following 6 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Alan V, Dom, RobbyPants, Cavebear, TheGentlemanBastard, skyking

I think I will buy a AK-47 and lots of magazines.  The Republican crazies are WORRYING ME...Guns ownership goes both ways.  Maybe my hunting crossbow isn't sufficient to protect me.Wink

I believe the attack on the US Capitol is a precursor to more terrible events to come, rather than a bookend to the last president's time in office.

Even here in the liberal republic of California, it's not an exaggeration to say that I see Trump bumper stickers, flags, and paraphernalia everywhere, every day. Supporters were at the state Capitol on Saturday to "rally" for the woman who was shot and killed while attempting to break into the Capitol on January 6.

Disturbingly, I went to a touristy area of town with my kid a few weeks ago to visit the local shops and sightsee and there was a large number of Trump supporters driving giant trucks with flags with "TRUMP 2024" and "FUCK BIDEN". They also gathered on a landmark bridge and blocked sidewalks with large banners.

Now I'm a member of the ACLU and people, no matter their viewpoints, have a right to demonstrate.
But the fear was palpable as I was walking the gauntlet. An Asian family was taking photos near the bridge and they had wide eyes and shocked looks on their faces. Another family who looked non-white had thousand yard stares. What to do? I felt like I should apologize.
Sadly, we cut our afternoon short and went home early as I was too intimidated to be there any longer.

This environment has only gotten worse since the last president left the White House.
I've been surprised over the last 5 years to learn that many people I know well and never would have thought of as Trump supporters are, in fact, Trump supporters. I now assume most people I meet support the guy and what he stands for unless they say otherwise.

I have to wonder what will happen when Trump gives up the ghost. An opportunist who is just as bad, or worse, will likely do whatever they can to win over his voters.

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 6 users Like Tres Leches's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard, julep, Dom, Szuchow, RobbyPants, SYZ

They are everywhere. It's like a guerilla war is pending.

SALEM, Ore. — The Oregon House of Representatives ousted Republican Rep. Mike Nearman Thursday night, the first time in state history a sitting Oregon lawmaker has been expelled.
The tally was 59-1, with the only vote against coming from Nearman himself. He showed no contrition during brief comments on the floor of the House.
Nearman was removed for the disorderly behavior of allowing rioters into the closed Capitol building during a special legislative session on Dec. 21, 2020.
His actions led to dozens of people — some armed and wearing body armor — gaining access to the Capitol, thousands of dollars in damage and six injured Salem and Oregon State police officers.
"Colleagues, it couldn't be any clearer. Rep. Mike Nearman intentionally allowed armed protestors, occupiers, to illegally enter the building during the peak of the pandemic," Rep. Paul Holvey, D-Eugene, said on the floor of the House. "He coordinated with his supporters and extremist groups and then opened a door to let them in."
Lawmakers commented on the day being "sad" and "somber" but said the Legislature had a responsibility to expel Nearman after he put his colleagues and staff at risk and has refused bipartisan calls for his resignation.
"Expulsion is the only reasonable course of action," said Rep. Andrea Salinas, D-Lake Oswego.
Article IV Section 15 of the Oregon Constitution gives each chamber the right to punish its members for "disorderly behavior," and punishment can include expulsion. 

A few dozen protesters — many of whom were also present at the Dec. 21 riot — gathered outside the Capitol building during the expulsion vote in support of Nearman. There were chants of "let us in" and banging on an exterior door, both audible from inside the House chamber.

A cheer went up when Nearman spoke, appearing via large TV screens arranged outside, a staple of a mid-pandemic Legislature.

"The facts are clear that Mr. Nearman unapologetically coordinated and planned a breach of the Oregon State Capitol," Kotek said in a statement after the vote. "His actions were blatant and deliberate, and he has shown no remorse for jeopardizing the safety of every person in the Capitol that day."

Quote:I have to wonder what will happen when Trump gives up the ghost.

First of all they will insist that his death is FAKE NEWS.

And next they will declare that 3 days later he rose from the dead.

There is a limit to the imagination of these assholes.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

(06-12-2021, 03:20 PM)Minimalist Wrote:

Nah, they'll say he was abducted by aliens. Like Elvis.
Don't mistake me for those nice folks from Give-A-Shit county.

(06-12-2021, 04:27 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:

He will still be alive. He will alter his appearance and run again. Or he will be quietly fighting the Rothchilds and rescuing abused, trafficked children and put an end to drinking their blood.

(06-12-2021, 04:27 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:

Whisked away on a flying Tic-Tac?

You know, I could appreciate such aliens!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

Quote:The House passed legislation on Tuesday to award Congressional Gold Medals — one of the highest civilian honors — to police officers who defended the Capitol during the violent Jan. 6 insurrection.

Lawmakers handily passed the legislation. Members of both parties supported it, 406-21, with all of the votes in opposition coming from conservative Republicans.

[...]

The resolution names three police officers — Brian Sicknick and Howard Liebengood of the Capitol Police and Jeffrey Smith of the Metropolitan Police — who died in the days after they were on duty at the Capitol on Jan. 6.

It also highlights the heroism of Eugene Goodman, who was serving as a Capitol Police officer on Jan. 6 and has since been promoted to acting deputy Senate sergeant-at-arms. Goodman was shown on a video captured by a reporter luring the mob away from the Senate chamber in a move that helped former Vice President Mike Pence and senators escape to safety.

[...]

Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.), who voted against both versions of the bill, said Tuesday that he’s concerned its use of the term “insurrectionists” to describe the mob that stormed the Capitol could impact ongoing court cases. He rejected the notion that the Jan. 6 attack amounted to an insurrection — which Merriam-Webster defines as “an act or instance of revolting against civil authority or an established government.”

“I think if we call that an insurrection, it could have a bearing on their case that I don't think would be good,” Massie said.

[...]

The other Republicans who voted against the bill were Reps. Andy Biggs (Ariz.), Lauren Boebert (Colo.), Michael Cloud (Texas), Andrew Clyde (Ga.), Warren Davidson (Ohio), Matt Gaetz (Fla.), Louie Gohmert (Texas), Bob Good (Va.), Paul Gosar (Ariz.), Marjorie Taylor Greene (Ga.), Andy Harris (Md.), Jody Hice (Ga.), Mary Miller (Ill.), Barry Moore (Ala.), Ralph Norman (S.C.), Scott Perry (Pa.), John Rose (Tenn.), Matt Rosendale (Mont.), Chip Roy (Texas) and Greg Steube (Fla.).

I wonder how many of these folk were running for cover on that day? I wonder how many of these folk were cheering events along?

I wonder how many of these folk are even thinking about what the events of 6 Jan mean. Not many is my guess.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Cavebear

(06-16-2021, 05:19 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
Quote:The House passed legislation on Tuesday to award Congressional Gold Medals — one of the highest civilian honors — to police officers who defended the Capitol during the violent Jan. 6 insurrection.

Lawmakers handily passed the legislation. Members of both parties supported it, 406-21, with all of the votes in opposition coming from conservative Republicans.

[...]

The resolution names three police officers — Brian Sicknick and Howard Liebengood of the Capitol Police and Jeffrey Smith of the Metropolitan Police — who died in the days after they were on duty at the Capitol on Jan. 6.

It also highlights the heroism of Eugene Goodman, who was serving as a Capitol Police officer on Jan. 6 and has since been promoted to acting deputy Senate sergeant-at-arms. Goodman was shown on a video captured by a reporter luring the mob away from the Senate chamber in a move that helped former Vice President Mike Pence and senators escape to safety.

[...]

Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.), who voted against both versions of the bill, said Tuesday that he’s concerned its use of the term “insurrectionists” to describe the mob that stormed the Capitol could impact ongoing court cases. He rejected the notion that the Jan. 6 attack amounted to an insurrection — which Merriam-Webster defines as “an act or instance of revolting against civil authority or an established government.”

“I think if we call that an insurrection, it could have a bearing on their case that I don't think would be good,” Massie said.

[...]

The other Republicans who voted against the bill were Reps. Andy Biggs (Ariz.), Lauren Boebert (Colo.), Michael Cloud (Texas), Andrew Clyde (Ga.), Warren Davidson (Ohio), Matt Gaetz (Fla.), Louie Gohmert (Texas), Bob Good (Va.), Paul Gosar (Ariz.), Marjorie Taylor Greene (Ga.), Andy Harris (Md.), Jody Hice (Ga.), Mary Miller (Ill.), Barry Moore (Ala.), Ralph Norman (S.C.), Scott Perry (Pa.), John Rose (Tenn.), Matt Rosendale (Mont.), Chip Roy (Texas) and Greg Steube (Fla.).

I wonder how many of these folk were running for cover on that day? I wonder how many of these folk were cheering events along?

I wonder how many of these folk are even thinking about what the events of 6 Jan mean. Not many is my guess.

If I understand your post correctly, you are saying that many Govt officials were rightly running for cover that day. But also that too few are thinking about the events of that day. If so, I agree. And I am not forgetting that day.

No one who tries to ignore or diminish the threat of that 1-6 day will be forgotten for years (everything fades eventually). But for now, Republicans or posters who pretend it never really happened, who ignore the threat of that time, or who even remotely justify it IN THE LEAST are on my shit list.
The following 2 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Fireball