Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WandaVision

WandaVision
(02-10-2021, 02:33 AM)Aroura Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 01:58 PM)SYZ Wrote: Having only watched the trailer for WandaVision, I can tell it's definitely
not my cup of tea.  That's possibly unfair, but I checked with IMDb and
during January, it got 290 user reviews rating it 1/10, versus only 318
reviews rating it 10/10.     This split says it all.

Most positive reviews seem to be from MCU fanbois.     Deadpan Coffee Drinker

It has an 8.0 average. That's high for any genre.  Looking at the extremes is hardly going to give an accurate picture of anything.
Worth mentioning that with "fanbois" there also comes the "I HATE MCU" brigade - normally because they hate the fanbois to begin with. Either way it's standard toxic fandom stuff [like when Captain Marvel got a wave of negative reviews.....because there was a women in the lead role. The "go work, go broke" assholes were in force that day.].

I've shyed away from certain levels of reviews and just watched things for myself instead.
The following 2 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • Aroura, Phaedrus

WandaVision
Not long watched this weeks: INTERESTING STUFF!

Also: there is a mid-credits section this week.
The following 1 user Likes OakTree500's post:
  • Phaedrus

WandaVision
Somehow I missed the Halloween episode. Watching it now.

No idea what the past influence is for this episode, however. I'm guessing it's a 90s show, but I can't place it.

Had to look it up. Malcolm in the Middle, never really watched that show so I didn't catch the reference. But that's a 2000 show. Where did the 90s go?

WandaVision
Here's a reference guide to the years and shows referenced on Wandavision.

Apparently, the 90s were covered in episode five in reference to Full House, which I didn't get.

The following 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post:
  • OakTree500

WandaVision
Episode seven, let's see if I can figure it out without looking at the reference guide.

First guess, Modern Family. I figured I might be wrong, checked the guide, and it hasn't been updated.

*sigh*

WandaVision
LOL, that Nexus medicine commercial. Funniest one yet.

WandaVision
If you have to know TV culture to enjoy the show I'm outta here.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Phaedrus

WandaVision
(02-20-2021, 01:36 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: If you have to know TV culture to enjoy the show I'm outta here.

You don't have to know the culture to enjoy the show. It's just a fun little extra.

WandaVision
Ah, so desu. Domo arigato.
  • Phaedrus

WandaVision
Not certain what is going on with Monica.......but,

At this point, as Vision becomes more aware of what is happening, it is also becoming apparent that he will be the only one who can convince Wanda to stop what she's doing. A romance for the ages, where she must accept a reality without him.

WandaVision
(02-20-2021, 01:50 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: At this point, as Vision becomes more aware of what is happening, it is also becoming apparent that he will be the only one who can convince Wanda to stop what she's doing. A romance for the ages, where she must accept a reality without him.

Perhaps Vision's Spirit could come back if he has the Opportunity. It would require Perseverance and Ingenuity, however.

WandaVision
What, not the only magical being?

Twist!

Whistling It's been Agatha all along. Whistling

Don't miss that mid-credit scene.

WandaVision
I'm clueless now.
  • Phaedrus

WandaVision
(02-20-2021, 03:27 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I'm clueless now.

Guess you need to watch the show. Girl_devil

WandaVision
Like I said, I'd be clueless, confused and unwilling to continue. If somebody comes up with a viewer's guide maybe, but I have little patience with straining at TV these days. "Ridiculousness" matches my attention span nicely. And I get to mutter "What fools these mortals be" a lot.
  • Phaedrus

WandaVision
With episode seven, I had already gotten the Modern Family reference.

According to this link, the episode also included references from The Office and Parks and Recreation, neither of which I have ever seen.

WandaVision
Last weeks episode was more bonkers stuff - explains [sort of] why it's all TV shows [kind of like a 'safe space' from her childhood] and giving a bit more backstory on how she came to be in the place she is.

Post credits scene this week was a whole lot of "whaaaat" as well.
  • Aroura

WandaVision
The concept of the series seems vaguely disturbing. I got the impression from the ad that Vision was sort of forced into a Wanda dreamworld (though he of all Marvel characters might be the last to know). I don't stream or netflix, so correct me if I'm wrong... I AM curious.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

WandaVision
(03-02-2021, 08:56 AM)Cavebear Wrote: The concept of the series seems vaguely disturbing.  I got the impression from the ad that Vision was sort of forced into a Wanda dreamworld (though he of all Marvel characters might be the last to know).  I don't stream or netflix, so correct me if I'm wrong...  I AM curious.

Thats what it seemed like, however.....

From this weeks episode:

Show ContentSpoiler:
  • Cavebear

WandaVision
(03-02-2021, 01:48 PM)OakTree500 Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 08:56 AM)Cavebear Wrote: The concept of the series seems vaguely disturbing.  I got the impression from the ad that Vision was sort of forced into a Wanda dreamworld (though he of all Marvel characters might be the last to know).  I don't stream or netflix, so correct me if I'm wrong...  I AM curious.

From this weeks episode:

Show ContentSpoiler:

I don't know SWORD. Do you mean SHIELD? Like Nick Fury?
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

WandaVision
(03-02-2021, 02:02 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 01:48 PM)OakTree500 Wrote:

From this weeks episode:

Show ContentSpoiler:

I don't know SWORD.  Do you mean SHIELD?   Like Nick Fury?
It's a different organization of a similar "thing" - showed up in this series Smile

WandaVision
I'm a bit confused about Vision.

Up until last episode, it seems he has a Will separate from Wanda. Unlike the other inhabitants, who are all (except Agatha) under Wanda's control.
Vision has his own thoughts, his own ideas, and even tried to escape the hex! But it isn't vision in his old body/corpse. That has now been made abundantly clear. He's not a recreation of Vision in any actual past incarnation, either. He doesn't know what an Avenger is. But he's more than just a dream or figment. So, is this like Elsa? Did she build a new Vision, based on her memories, and just give him actual life??

Related question: Did she also just manifest life for her children, including giving them their own Will?

I think these are somewhat important question, as we are clearly headed for a Wanda's Vision vs Shield Vision showdown of some sort. Also, being able to spontaneously create fully formed and autonomous life is a big deal!

WandaVision
(03-02-2021, 06:08 PM)Aroura Wrote: I'm a bit confused about Vision.

Up until last episode, it seems he has a Will separate from Wanda. Unlike the other inhabitants, who are all (except Agatha) under Wanda's control.
Vision has his own thoughts, his own ideas, and even tried to escape the hex!  But it isn't vision in his old body/corpse.  That has now been made abundantly clear.  He's not a recreation of Vision in any actual past incarnation, either.  He doesn't know what an Avenger is. But he's more than just a dream or figment.  So, is this like Elsa?  Did she build a new Vision, based on her memories, and just give him actual life??  

Related question: Did she also just manifest life for her children, including giving them their own Will?

I think these are somewhat important question, as we are clearly headed for a Wanda's Vision vs Shield Vision showdown of some sort.  Also, being able to spontaneously create fully formed and autonomous life is a big deal!

Re Wanda creating vision - 

It could be argued that with Wanda's powers coming from [or at least being amplified by] an infinity stone, And Vision partly coming from the same Stone as well - maybe the "sentient" part of wanda created vision is coming from her power generally, which is derived from the stones powers also? [I mean that's a long winded shot at explaining it but yeah].

Personally, i think it's a case of: she can't fully control the magic she has. So she created vision in this perfect world, but that means he is "just like she remembered" which means: sentient/asking questions/a good person etc - and it's reflected in the 'dream world' version of Vision as well. As for the kids - I have no idea to be honest. Potentially more of the same?
  • Aroura