Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Pendulum swings, and having swung...

This thread is about big, and abrupt changes in your life.

For me: I've mentioned that I joined the Navy right out of High School. I attended Engineman A School in Illinois after boot camp. Then I went to a couple of school to get me ready for the next phase, riding a Patrol Boat, Rivine. I caught my ride around the end of January, 1970, and immediately started doing the military's prime mission, "killing people and breaking things."

That was eight months of rapidly changing landscape. Some of the guys with weren't ready for the constant kicking shit into the fan, I was weirdly chill about it.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 4 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • abaris, Little Lunch, skyking, TonyAnkle

I was a trumpet player playing in a jazz band, a big band and a brass band.
I was on my way to a music shop for a job interview as a salesman.
As I was stopped at an intersection, a young lady crashed into the back of me at high speed and a lost a good majority of my teeth and a small bit of jaw on the steering wheel.
Self fulfilling prophecy became an impossible word to say.
I play keyboard now instead. :-)
The following 2 users Like Little Lunch's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, SYZ

If this is an intelligence gathering thread, I have none to offer.
The following 2 users Like no one's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, Little Lunch

When hubby number 2 died. It changed everything, who I associated with, what and when I ate, what I watched on TV, just - absolutely everything.

That is pretty much a given though when a long time partner dies later in life. I was surprised to hear it is that way for most survivors of a life partnership. 

It changes absolutely everything in your life, and even how you think.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • SYZ

(11-21-2020, 03:55 PM)Dom Wrote: When hubby number 2 died. It changed everything, who I associated with, what and when I ate, what I watched on TV, just - absolutely everything.

That is pretty much a given though when a long time partner dies later in life. I was surprised to hear it is that way for most survivors of a life partnership. 

It changes absolutely everything in your life, and even how you think.

Got two dead wives so far. I think I've told those tales before.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

I guess a couple major career and job decisions led to long shifts in location and life. Otherwise everything pretty incremental.
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

I've had a few whiplash moments in my life, yeah. Fleeing Iran, being deployed to Desert Storm on two days' notice, moving back home to Texas after years in SoCal ... I've been pretty restless most of my life; changes aren't permanent, but change is.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Dom

When my daughter (at the time) told me that she wanted to transition to male, it was like being hit in the stomach with a sledgehammer. It seemed like my world was going to collapse..
Seven years on from then everything is fine, and I wonder what all the fuss was about.
The following 6 users Like TonyAnkle's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, Dancefortwo, Finite Monkeys, Thumpalumpacus, julep, Dānu

(11-21-2020, 04:48 PM)TonyAnkle Wrote: When my daughter (at the time)  told me that she wanted to transition to male, it was like being hit in the stomach with a sledgehammer. It seemed like my world was going to collapse..
Seven years on from then everything is fine, and I wonder what all the fuss was about.

When my son (at the time) told me he wanted to transition to female.  Yes, it was like being hit in the gut with a sledgehammer and I fell to pieces for a while.   Now I'm fine and see that she's sooo much happier.    Now that I look back on it I wonder why I didn't see all the signs.  It was a great learning experience.  I've become a much more compassionate and empathetic person.
                                                         T4618
The following 4 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • TonyAnkle, Finite Monkeys, Thumpalumpacus, Dānu

(11-21-2020, 05:52 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(11-21-2020, 04:48 PM)TonyAnkle Wrote: When my daughter (at the time)  told me that she wanted to transition to male, it was like being hit in the stomach with a sledgehammer. It seemed like my world was going to collapse..

When my son (at the time) told me he wanted to transition to female.  Yes, it was like being hit in the gut with a sledgehammer and I fell to pieces for a while.   Now I'm fine and see that she's sooo much happier.    Now that I look back on it I wonder why I didn't see all the signs.  It was a great learning experience.  I've become a much more compassionate and empathetic person.

It's a great thing hindsight, I think I must have been wearing blinkers for a few years.. I'm glad it's all worked out for you and your daughter.
The following 3 users Like TonyAnkle's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Finite Monkeys, Thumpalumpacus

First thing that came to my mind?

[Image: the-pit-and-the-pendulum.jpg]
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

The most abrupt change in my life was when I went from working retail to taking a class and working as a CNA in a nursing home.

That was my midlife crisis.