Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Historical footage, often seen, but never in the right context

(01-29-2019, 08:01 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(01-29-2019, 05:25 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I was dwarfed by the giants of that bygone age.

And you were still razorless, obviously.

[Image: RoFLTvE.jpg]
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

(01-29-2019, 09:53 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Does anyone else remember Z Z Topp?

I remember "ZZ Top". Big Grin
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • skyking

(01-29-2019, 11:17 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:

I remember "ZZ Top" when they were KK Medium.  Big Grin

Fixed for old-assedness.
On hiatus.

(01-30-2019, 12:00 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(01-29-2019, 11:17 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:

I remember "ZZ Top" when they were KK Medium.  Big Grin

Fixed for old-assedness.

I actually didn't like a lot of their work.

(01-30-2019, 12:11 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(01-30-2019, 12:00 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(01-29-2019, 11:17 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I remember "ZZ Top" when they were KK Medium.  Big Grin

Fixed for old-assedness.

Not surprising.
On hiatus.

(01-30-2019, 12:21 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(01-30-2019, 12:11 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(01-30-2019, 12:00 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Fixed for old-assedness.

Not surprising.
I was a heavy metal head, mellow wasn't of much interest.

I didn't trip all over them either.

I hated their turn to drum machines with Eliminator. Their older, bluesier stuff is cool, with a lot of grease in the groove.
On hiatus.

I didn't like the Zeppelin blues, either.

Hey, Abs.

Have you ever seen this?

Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

Actors sport a distinct austrian accent. Thumbs Up
R.I.P. Hannes

<dumb question stricken, I blame the lack of sufficient coffee>
On hiatus.

(11-28-2020, 03:23 AM)Minimalist Wrote: Hey, Abs.

Have you ever seen this?

Yes, I have. Although it's not entirely true to call it "last battleship". There were four of it's class, making up the 1st naval division. The Viribus Unitis, flagship of the fleet, the Tegetthoff, the Prinz Eugen and, coming last, as a favor to the Hungarians, the Szent Istvan. It was built at Fiume (Rijeka), which was under Hungarian administration at that time. The Hungarians threatened to freeze the funds for a fourth battleship, if their shipping inndustry wasn't involved. So "Ganz & Co, located at Fiume got the contract. The shipyard had to be enlarged to be able to build a vessel of this size.

The footage is about the Szent Istvan.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

The Japanese carrier, Taiho, sank in 1944 after being hit by a single torpedo.  Her loss is generally blamed on inept damage control and fatal design flaws.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(11-28-2020, 04:05 PM)Minimalist Wrote: The Japanese carrier, Taiho, sank in 1944 after being hit by a single torpedo.  Her loss is generally blamed on inept damage control and fatal design flaws.

I've read also that she was burning unrefined oil (more volatile than fuel oil) which produced more fumes for the vents to disperse when the DCO made his fateful decision.
On hiatus.

Japan was reduced to all sorts of expediencies because of the relentless submarine war on their merchant fleet.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Footage?

This isn't video footage but it's the first photo of a current event from French revolution of 1848. It's several barricades in the streets of Paris.   I can't say it any better than in this article: 

Quote:This photograph of the 1848 revolution is a precious document; it was taken during one of the four days in June which left several thousand dead among the insurgents and the government forces in Paris. Its exact date and the name of the photographer are known (an amateur photographer who lived in the Popincourt district?) from the engraving published in L'Illustration of 1-8 July 1848 and in the special issue of the magazine Journées illustrées de la révolution de 1848, published in August 1848.

Along with another image by the same photographer, dated 25 June 1848, this scene is regarded as the first photograph used to illustrate a newspaper story. The people seen in the distance are no more than dark dots as often in photographs of the time. Although they may not have been aware of it, this shot certainly influenced the vision of artists who were starting to paint in the mid 1860s, whether or not they were part of the avant garde. This is probably painting's main debt to photography in the nineteenth century. However it is difficult to evaluate because the artists born in the pioneer years of the invention, being unable to remember the many images they saw in their childhood and teenage years, are silent on the subject and frankly disdainful of photography.

Here's the photo.  You don't see people in the photo because the length of exposure time involved.

[Image: thibault-active-in-paris-circa-1848-the-...load-0.jpg]

This might be a better copy of the photo.  It's amazing that this is from an 1848 revolution during the time of Napoleon III.   Frankly I'm not too familiar with this event. 

[Image: 2555.jpg]

I wonder what street this is in Paris and if some of the buildings are still there and one can still find it on Google Maps.  Hummmm
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, abaris

I grew up living opposite this man-made breakwater in Black Rock, a coastal suburb
in South Eastern Melbourne.  We used to swim out to her in the 1950s when most of
the hull was above sea level, and before it started to degrade structurally.  It looked
more like this when we were kids...

[Image: leader_7_8_18.jpg]

HMVS Cerberus is Australia's only warship from the pre-1918 era that has "survived"
into the 21st century, although she's mostly disappeared now due to the ravages of the
sea and time.  Our local historical group, plus Australian naval historians fought for
decades to have her restored and her upkeep maintained, as the only surviving monitor
in the world.  Nobody was prepared to front the costs though, even successive Victorian
governments, so today much of what's left of her is underwater, and in a marine exclusion
zone that stops people swimming out to her.

My late father easily recalled the "drama" for the beachside locals in 1926 when she was
scuttled, with most of the locals turning up to watch the excitement of the big day.  Little
did they know it marked her death knell, and the early beginnings of one of the most
vandalous acts against what should have been an icon of early Australian maritime history.

This is a little bit about her recent history...

And this shot of her stern is all that's left now...

[Image: Screenshot-2020-11-29-stern-view300-jpg-...pixels.png]

RIP.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 2 users Like SYZ's post:
  • abaris, Deesse23

(11-28-2020, 07:28 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: This might be a better copy of the photo.  It's amazing that this is from an 1848 revolution during the time of Napoleon III.   Frankly I'm not too familiar with this event. 

1848/49 saw revolutions all over Europe. And Napoleon III was elected president of the republic at that time. In 1851 he organized a coup and in 1852 he proclaimed himself emperor Napoleon.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The following 2 users Like abaris's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Thumpalumpacus

(11-28-2020, 08:00 PM)abaris Wrote:
(11-28-2020, 07:28 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: This might be a better copy of the photo.  It's amazing that this is from an 1848 revolution during the time of Napoleon III.   Frankly I'm not too familiar with this event. 

1848/49 saw revolutions all over Europe. And Napoleon III was elected president of the republic at that time. In 1851 he organized a coup and in 1852 he proclaimed himself emperor Napoleon.

I was thinking this was the uprising depicted in this famous painting but this is 1830 so I'm completely off by 18 years. 

[Image: eugc3a8ne_delacroix_-_liberty_leading_th...ga6177.jpg]

Wow, I feel stupid so I'm off to study France history between 1830 and 1848.  How many damned revolutions have the French had, anyway?
                                                         T4618

This footage of a B-24 being shot down will, repeat will, be seen in every doc about the Ploesti raids, and many about 8th AF B-17s too.

It was shot over Palau, on the other side of the world. Video set to start at the footage always shown.

On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • abaris, Deesse23

(11-28-2020, 08:00 PM)abaris Wrote:

1848/49 saw revolutions all over Europe.
[Image: Maerz1848_berlin.jpg]
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 2 users Like Deesse23's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Thumpalumpacus

France.  1832.

The French took about 5 tries to get it right.