Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Poll: Would you drink decaf?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
No
25.00%
5 25.00%
Yes
55.00%
11 55.00%
Maybe
15.00%
3 15.00%
I don't drink coffee
5.00%
1 5.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you drink decaf?

Would you drink decaf?
(10-15-2020, 11:56 AM)Dānu Wrote:
(10-15-2020, 04:12 AM)Bcat Wrote:
(10-15-2020, 04:08 AM)Fireball Wrote: KAVA is "acid-reduced" via the addition of potassium hydroxide. I guess if one needed more potassium in their diet, it would be a good choice. It certainly should be smoother with the acid reduction. I'm not gigging you, Danu, it's just an observation of what I've seen on the can. Maybe I should start buying it and stop taking my potassium supplements? I have to admit that when I see where something like potassium hydroxide is added to a comestible, it causes some concern. But then, when I consider that I drink a product (beer) that is pretty much yeast-poop, I shouldn't worry too much! Tongue

Yikes, WebMd said kava can cause liver damage.  Is Kava and Kava coffee the same thing?

I think they're different.

Yes, they are different. I had to go look up the other kava, though.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • Bcat

Would you drink decaf?
I just woke up and as I ponder the question in the OP, there is no way in the world that I would drink decaf right now.
The following 3 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Bcat, TheGentlemanBastard, Fireball

Would you drink decaf?
(10-15-2020, 01:54 PM)Aliza Wrote: I just woke up and as I ponder the question in the OP, there is no way in the world that I would drink decaf right now.

I made regular coffee today lol  Tongue
The following 1 user Likes Bcat's post:
  • Aliza

Would you drink decaf?
(10-14-2020, 05:36 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(10-14-2020, 05:03 PM)Aegon Wrote: I don't see the point. If I'm drinking coffee I want to be caffeinated.

Why do you drink other drinks? Do you drink other drinks that don't have a benefit other than "tastes good"? Decaf tastes the same as regular coffee without the penalties. For me that's enough. I drink a large cup of coffee (two k-pods) every night just to be able to stay awake until 9 PM. To avoid that being an onerous task I get flavored, carmel macchiato being my first choice.  But a few years back regular coffee cause tachycardia, it was basically killing me. So I ran decaf until they had my meds sorted out. My current 29 different daily meds would stun an ox, so I drink caffeinated beverages to get more than a ten hour day.

It just occurred to me now that I don't really drink other drinks. I only drink water, protein shakes, and occasionally alcohol (but my body has a hard time keeping it down so I stick to cannabis as my drug of choice), all of which serve a purpose outside of taste.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

Would you drink decaf?
Good god, no! Angry

Because of the osmotic pressure, decaf sucks all the caffeine out of your system, leaving you limp and tired.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 5 users Like Chas's post:
  • Aliza, Dānu, Bcat, SYZ, c172

Would you drink decaf?
(10-16-2020, 02:28 AM)Chas Wrote: Good god, no! Angry

Because of the osmotic pressure, decaf sucks all the caffeine out of your system, leaving you limp and tired.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Rofl2
The following 1 user Likes Aliza's post:
  • Bcat

Would you drink decaf?
(10-15-2020, 01:26 PM)Fireball Wrote:
(10-15-2020, 11:56 AM)Dānu Wrote:
(10-15-2020, 04:12 AM)Bcat Wrote: Yikes, WebMd said kava can cause liver damage.  Is Kava and Kava coffee the same thing?

I think they're different.

Yes, they are different. I had to go look up the other kava, though.

The other Kava is the extract from the kava root.
It tastes and looks like mud water.
You get a slight buzz from it and numbs you a little as well.
My ex wife and I were on Tanna Island many years ago in Vanuatu and I got a little tipsy on it one night.
My ex was forbidden to have any cause she's a female. Haha. :-)
The following 2 users Like Little Lunch's post:
  • Fireball, Bcat

Would you drink decaf?
I'm having a nice cup of fully-charged med-roast Colombian grind that's pretty damned good. I grind my beans extra-fine. No decaf for me today.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Bcat

Would you drink decaf?
I'm attempting to try decaf again today.

Would you drink decaf?
I woke up at 2 AM and had a tough time falling back to sleep. I think that I'll put some salt on my dinner tonight. I'll be making a third mug of coffee here in a few minutes.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • Bcat

Would you drink decaf?
(10-16-2020, 03:37 PM)Fireball Wrote: I woke up at 2 AM and had a tough time falling back to sleep. I think that I'll put some salt on my dinner tonight. I'll be making a third mug of coffee here in a few minutes.

Does salt make you sleepy or something?
The following 2 users Like Bcat's post:
  • c172, Fireball

Would you drink decaf?
(10-16-2020, 03:40 PM)Bcat Wrote:
(10-16-2020, 03:37 PM)Fireball Wrote: I woke up at 2 AM and had a tough time falling back to sleep. I think that I'll put some salt on my dinner tonight. I'll be making a third mug of coffee here in a few minutes.

I carefully control for salt in my diet. I discovered in the '80s that too low a salt level can result in blood pressure low enough that the adrenal glands send out adrenaline to pick the pressure back up...which has an effect to also wake me up with a racing pulse. It's an uneasy truce between keeping my BP down and getting enough sleep.
The following 2 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Bcat, Thumpalumpacus

Would you drink decaf?
(10-16-2020, 03:58 PM)Fireball Wrote:
(10-16-2020, 03:40 PM)Bcat Wrote:

I carefully control for salt in my diet. I discovered in the '80s that too low a salt level can result in blood pressure low enough that the adrenal glands send out adrenaline to pick the pressure back up...which has an effect to also wake me up with a racing pulse. It's an uneasy truce between keeping my BP down and getting enough sleep.

Ahhh okay, I wasn't sure if it was an expression that meant something else.
The following 1 user Likes Bcat's post:
  • Fireball

Would you drink decaf?
(10-15-2020, 12:24 PM)SYZ Wrote:
(10-15-2020, 12:01 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: #1 reason for drinking something regularly is you like the taste. Taste is acquired. I like to drink straight vinegar, and this drives my Internal Med doctor crazy because ulcers.

LOL... me too.  When I have a jar of pickled onions, I sip the vinegar as the level of
onions decreases. Makes it easier to get 'em out towards the bottom of the jar too.
That's diluted.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Would you drink decaf?
I drank caffeinated coffee too late in the evening yesterday. I didn't fall asleep until after 3 A.M.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Bcat