Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Potato chips, crisps, and fries

Sweet potato fries.
god, ugh
The following 2 users Like julep's post:
  • TonyAnkle, Bcat

(10-11-2020, 10:22 PM)Aliza Wrote:
(10-11-2020, 10:10 PM)Bcat Wrote: What's your favorite?

I eat french fries maybe once or twice a year. I have taken to slicing potatoes, brushing them with olive oil, baking them, and then eating them with ketchup, but the idea of frying them is just gross. 

I like potato chips sometimes. Not too frequently, and I very rarely buy them myself. I usually only eat them if someone else brings them into my vicinity. 

I suppose baked potatoes served in the style of fries is my favorite, but my real favorite are brussels sprouts! It's just that brussels sprouts weren't an option.

Fries can be so damned good some places.  And potato chips .. like they say, can't eat just one.  I'm better off not having either around the house.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 4 users Like Mark's post:
  • TonyAnkle, julep, Bcat, Aliza

I like any major brand potato chips with sour cream and onion flavor.  Tongue
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • TonyAnkle, Bcat, Unsapien, Cheerful Charlie

(10-12-2020, 02:32 AM)Bcat Wrote:
(10-12-2020, 02:30 AM)c172 Wrote: Ummm....OK....so I am from Trumpistan, and so we don't use the term "crisps", usually. That's most of the other anglophones. I think. Dunno.

So, I'll say that I do love steak fries with ketchup and/or mayo. They need to be crispy, and not oily. I used to have fries several times weekly in the 00's. Nowadays I don't eat much that goes with fries (fried clams were my favorite main with fries, but burgers were good, too). I still like them, though. Having relatives in Canada now, I want to try poutine. But I'll need to make me a batch. I taught myself to do funeral potatoes, which are mostly in Mormon or Utah circles.

And I always have Deep River kettle chips whenever I pick up sushi at the supermarket, which is at least weekly (usually with tiramisu cake or lemon curd cheesecake to finish it off).

If I could figure out how to do a good roti wrap, I would augment that with shoestring fries. With ketchup until I figure out how to do a Dutch-Malay peanut sauce (pindasaus).

What are funeral potatoes?

Raw potatoes which are served during funerals. Didn't you know?
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Bcat

I've never heard of funeral potatoes being served raw. The only ones I'm familiar with are prepared in a casserole.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funeral_potatoes
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Bcat, GenesisNemesis, c172

(10-12-2020, 01:13 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: I've never heard of funeral potatoes being served raw. The only ones I'm familiar with are prepared in a casserole.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funeral_potatoes

I was joking. Big Grin
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Bcat, Gwaithmir

Jojos. These are a local thing, potato wedges coated in spices and some flour and fried. They are perfect.

In Costa Rica I was introduced to plantain chips, and they are better than potatoes any day.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Bcat, Dānu

I can't stand bananas but am intrigued by plantains for some reason. Never had them.
Is this sig thing on?
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • Bcat

(10-12-2020, 01:45 PM)Dom Wrote: Jojos. These are a local thing, potato wedges coated in spices and some flour and fried. They are perfect.

In Costa Rica I was introduced to plantain chips, and they are better than potatoes any day.

My wife buys 4 bags of them every time she goes to Trader Joe's.  I've started making her buy me a bag of the olive oil potato chips.  But I have no restraint.  I can never make it last more than two sittings.

When you mentioned Jojos I thought you were talking about Trader Joe's cookies.  Those are also addictive.

Do you have Trader Joe stores near you?
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 1 user Likes Mark's post:
  • Bcat

I'm quite fond of Cheesy Puffs.
The following 2 users Like TonyAnkle's post:
  • Bcat, adey67

(10-12-2020, 03:37 PM)Mark Wrote:
(10-12-2020, 01:45 PM)Dom Wrote: Jojos. These are a local thing, potato wedges coated in spices and some flour and fried. They are perfect.

My wife buys 4 bags of them every time she goes to Trader Joe's.  I've started making her buy me a bag of the olive oil potato chips.  But I have no restraint.  I can never make it last more than two sittings.

When you mentioned Jojos I thought you were talking about Trader Joe's cookies.  Those are also addictive.

Do you have Trader Joe stores near you?

2 to 3 hour round trip, depending on when one goes. Never go there.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Bcat

(10-12-2020, 03:20 PM)c172 Wrote: I can't stand bananas but am intrigued by plantains for some reason. Never had them.

Plantains are a starch that needs to be cooked before eating. They are very mildly sweet, less so than yams. They have a very, very faint banana taste. If you buy any, don't cook them until they are ripe - and that means their skin is turning brown/black.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Bcat

[Image: B4-B80373-BDC8-4-C4-B-BD27-6-EF48-C4-F2964.png]
The following 2 users Like Marozz's post:
  • Bcat, TonyAnkle

Sour cream and onion potato chips.
Test
The following 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Bcat, Cheerful Charlie

(10-12-2020, 03:20 PM)c172 Wrote: I can't stand bananas but am intrigued by plantains for some reason. Never had them.

Plantains are really good.  They also have dried plantain chips, but I prefer the fried ones.
The following 1 user Likes Bcat's post:
  • Unsapien

Cheetos.  Cheetos uber alles.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Bcat, Deesse23

For potato chips/crisps its these bad boys:

[Image: snapshotimagehandler_875672685.jpeg?h=540&w=540]

THEY ARE SOOOOOO GOOD

For fries/chips [as we call them, although a chip here is a bit fatter than a french fry]:
To be honest any - home made are the best for my money. I love sweet potato fries/chips as well. And while it's not a chip or even made of potato, Parsnips are amazing and taste like "sweet" chips, if that makes sense haha.
The following 3 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • TonyAnkle, Dānu, Bcat

Whatever can't get away fast enough.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Bcat

(10-13-2020, 03:33 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Whatever can't get away fast enough.

Are you in the wrong thread? Big Grin
The following 1 user Likes TonyAnkle's post:
  • Bcat

(10-13-2020, 03:35 PM)TonyAnkle Wrote:
(10-13-2020, 03:33 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Whatever can't get away fast enough.

Are you in the wrong thread? Big Grin
Nope. What's on the shelf will do fine for me. I once opened a 20 gal. can of "potato chips". After years of bouncing around they were mostly powder. We ate them anyway.
The following 3 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • TonyAnkle, c172, Bcat

(10-13-2020, 06:22 AM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:

Von der Maas bis an die Memel? Modest

R.I.P. Hannes
The following 1 user Likes Deesse23's post:
  • Bcat

(10-13-2020, 03:45 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:
(10-13-2020, 06:22 AM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:

Von der Maas bis an die Memel? Modest

Kinder, Kuche, Kookie.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Bcat