Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ask a forum member a question.

(10-05-2020, 09:12 AM)TonyAnkle Wrote: @JAG What did you have for breakfast?

resim
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 4 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Bcat, Finite Monkeys, TonyAnkle, skyking

(10-05-2020, 05:51 PM)Minimalist Wrote:

resim

I reject your Dogma.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

(10-05-2020, 04:06 PM)brewerb Wrote:
(10-05-2020, 03:52 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: I'm still making my own candies, sans nicotine, but am more than willing to walk you through.

First, you're gonna need some of this:
Nicotine e-liquid base.
I recommend 100mg because it makes the math dead easy.

You're also gonna need:
Flavoring, whichever you prefer (bull city has awesome prices)
A 5-10ml glass graduated cylinder. Do not use plastic. Some of the flavors will react with it, ruining your candies and your graduated cylinder.
Some silicone molds. I recommend these. 1 batch of candies fills one 35 cavity mold.
A small, heavy bottomed sauce pan. Should be just slightly larger than you small stovetop burner.
A candy thermometer.
Sugar
Corn Syrup
Water

Recipe:
1 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of corn syrup
1/3 cup water
3ml flavoring of choice
Nicotine

Calculate required nicotine with a little math...
   Level of desired nicotine multiplied by number of mold cavities divided by 100
   Ex: For 4mg candies, 4 times 35 equals 140. Divided by 100 equals 1.4 ml of nicotine liquid.
Measure flavoring using graduated cylinder.
Add required nicotine to graduated cylinder and set aside.

Stir ingredients together in sauce pan and place over med to med-high heat, covered, and bring to boil.
Once a rolling boil is achieved remove cover and place candy thermometer in the pan. Don't allow it to touch the bottom.
Continue boiling without stirring until it reaches the 'hard crack' stage. 300-305 deg. F.
Remove from heat, stir in the flavoring and nicotine and pour directly into the silicone molds.
Allow the candies to harden, pop them out of the molds, dust with powdered sugar, and store in an air-tight container (zip-locks work a treat).

----------------------------

The initial cost to get started is about what you'd pay for one or two boxes of lozenges. After that it's $1.50-$3.00 depending on ingredient/brand pricing for each batch of 35 candies (hint: Kroger corn syrup is less expensive and doesn't have vanilla added which will alter the flavor of your candies). Overall, way cheaper than the lozenges, and better tasting with more control over the nicotine level which really helped me wean off the drug.

I've gone a little crazy with the molds and the flavorings, but I really like making my own candies, especially being able to make whatever freaking flavor I want. Currently enjoying a key lime pie candy. Smile

I see that there are many flavors. Which have you liked and not liked? Have you purchased their prepackaged assortments?

Holy crap... I've got probably 30 or 40 flavorings currently, but I've never done their prepackaged assortments or much in the way of pre-mixed flavors, though I did roll the dice on their Monkey Fart flavoring once. I was really glad I only ponied up for a 10 ml bottle since most of it wound up in the trash. Ugh! I've been playing with flavor mixing for 7 or 8 years now. First for e-liquids, then for candies. I've not liked the results from most of the nut flavors, though almond, used sparingly, is decent mixed with chocolate and coconut. My favorites are typically fruit flavors, especially berry flavors. I also experiment and have made pretty good chocolate/cherry, chocolate/coconut, key lime pie, blackberry pie, lemon/lime, tropical mix... green apple mixed 2/1 with the cinnamon spice makes a tasty baked apple flavored candy that I've made several times now. Spearmint and red hot cinnamon are both really good, but they're also a couple of the flavors that will ruin plastics. My absolute favorite flavor, though, is the birch beer flavoring available from Amazon. I make a batch of that almost every time I make candies.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 2 users Like TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • brewerb, Bcat

(10-05-2020, 06:00 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(10-05-2020, 05:51 PM)Minimalist Wrote:

resim

I reject your Dogma.

I suspect the average dog would, too.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

(10-03-2020, 10:19 PM)brewerb Wrote: Shouldn't we do the "@" thing so alerts are sent?

Ha! So that's what that thing does.
The following 2 users Like Inkubus's post:
  • brewerb, c172

(10-03-2020, 10:19 PM)brewerb Wrote: Shouldn't we do the "@" thing so alerts are sent?

Yes. Yes, we should! *lurks to make sure I wasn't ignoring anybody in here*
Is this sig thing on?
The following 3 users Like c172's post:
  • Bcat, brewerb, Joods

Blooy hell I missed this chat about my homeland and it's dishes:

(10-03-2020, 10:41 PM)Aliza Wrote: Baked beans can be vegetarian, and I don't see why they can't be vegan. I think those can safely go on the list with accommodations.
The baked beans i have say they are Vegan - so presume that's ok? Send the meat my way haha.

(10-03-2020, 10:53 PM)Bcat Wrote: Spotted dick is an English dish, I think right? I used to work with a lady from England who used to say she couldn’t wait to have some spotted dick over the holidays. I always had to bite my tongue to stop myself from laughing.   Big Grin Also what is spotted dick? Is that also a pudding?
It is a pudding haha. [ a traditional British pudding, traditionally made with suet and dried fruit (usually currants or raisins) and often served with custard] We also have a sausage type of food called "Faggots" - yep, it's strange over here.

(10-03-2020, 11:34 PM)skyking Wrote: be forewarned that proper english toast is served in a torture rack that is designed to bring it somehow to below room temperature. Imagine day old toast. 
Dance
WELL - that depends on the amount of toast you want, the [non torture] racks are for holding large numbers of toast, rather thatn just having one or two on your plate [if you're having just toast or some with a "full english"]. But yeah, if you don't eat it, it'll go cold pretty quickly haha.

Think I'm all caught up now.

[Image: tenor.gif]

[Image: aiiR262.gif]
The following 5 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • Bcat, Deesse23, brewerb, skyking, Kim

@Peebothuhlu What do you do for work and do they ever let you out?  Tongue
The following 5 users Like Bcat's post:
  • Deesse23, TonyAnkle, Thumpalumpacus, Peebothuhlu, Unsapien

(10-06-2020, 01:15 PM)OakTree500 Wrote: Blooy hell I missed this chat about my homeland and it's dishes:

(10-03-2020, 10:41 PM)Aliza Wrote: Baked beans can be vegetarian, and I don't see why they can't be vegan. I think those can safely go on the list with accommodations.
The baked beans i have say they are Vegan - so presume that's ok? Send the meat my way haha.

(10-03-2020, 10:53 PM)Bcat Wrote: Spotted dick is an English dish, I think right? I used to work with a lady from England who used to say she couldn’t wait to have some spotted dick over the holidays. I always had to bite my tongue to stop myself from laughing.   Big Grin Also what is spotted dick? Is that also a pudding?
It is a pudding haha. [ a traditional British pudding, traditionally made with suet and dried fruit (usually currants or raisins) and often served with custard] We also have a sausage type of food called "Faggots" - yep, it's strange over here.

(10-03-2020, 11:34 PM)skyking Wrote: be forewarned that proper english toast is served in a torture rack that is designed to bring it somehow to below room temperature. Imagine day old toast. 
Dance
WELL - that depends on the amount of toast you want, the [non torture] racks are for holding large numbers of toast, rather thatn just having one or two on your plate [if you're having just toast or some with a "full english"]. But yeah, if you don't eat it, it'll go cold pretty quickly haha.

Think I'm all caught up now.

[Image: tenor.gif]

[Image: aiiR262.gif]

Why does the flag pole have an air freshener on the top?
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 3 users Like brewerb's post:
  • Fireball, TonyAnkle, Bcat

@Dānu did you get your liking of hot sauces from family?
Is this sig thing on?
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • Bcat

No, I'm about the only one in my family that likes spicy food, except my brother-in-law, and he's not blood. It's a challenge to satisfy everybody at family gatherings.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 4 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Bcat, brewerb, Thumpalumpacus, c172

Anyone want to lend me a 2021 RS7?

(10-09-2020, 07:09 PM)Dānu Wrote: No, I'm about the only one in my family that likes spicy food, except my brother-in-law, and he's not blood.  It's a challenge to satisfy everybody at family gatherings.

Sounds like you might need a holster.

[Image: Handmade-USA-Leather-TABASCO-Belt-HOLSTE...uch-_1.jpg]
The following 4 users Like brewerb's post:
  • Bcat, Dānu, Chas, skyking

(10-09-2020, 05:23 PM)Bcat Wrote: @Peebothuhlu What do you do for work and do they ever let you out?  Tongue

It's not a great paying job but I do, at least, help people feel safe and secure. Smile

Not at work.
The following 3 users Like Peebothuhlu's post:
  • Bcat, Deesse23, skyking

(10-09-2020, 06:31 PM)brewerb Wrote: Why does the flag pole have an air freshener on the top?

Thats how we keep the UK smelling "nice"  Big Grin
The following 3 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • Deesse23, brewerb, Bcat

@brewerb

Have you tried making hard candies, with or without nicotine?

I need to make some this weekend.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Bcat

(10-17-2020, 10:20 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: @brewerb

Have you tried making hard candies, with or without nicotine?

I need to make some this weekend.

Not yet.

For me, without nicotine would be pointless.
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Bcat

(10-09-2020, 08:26 PM)brewerb Wrote:
(10-09-2020, 07:09 PM)Dānu Wrote: No, I'm about the only one in my family that likes spicy food, except my brother-in-law, and he's not blood.  It's a challenge to satisfy everybody at family gatherings.

I think I'll make up a 'dining out go-bag' with hot sauce, maple syrup, salt&pepper grinders, a sharp knife, moist towelettes, and small bills for tipping. Consider
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 1 user Likes Chas's post:
  • brewerb

(10-17-2020, 06:20 PM)Chas Wrote:
(10-09-2020, 08:26 PM)brewerb Wrote:

I think I'll make up a 'dining out go-bag' with hot sauce, maple syrup, salt&pepper grinders, a sharp knife, moist towelettes, and small bills for tipping. Consider

Sounds perfect for a bandolier. Lets the wait staff know you mean business!
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(10-17-2020, 08:51 PM)brewerb Wrote:
(10-17-2020, 06:20 PM)Chas Wrote:
(10-09-2020, 08:26 PM)brewerb Wrote: Sounds like you might need a holster.

They need to make 1/4 sized cans for this purpose.
[Image: maple_syrup_can__13078.1484096125.1280.1...76.png?c=2]

@Thumpalumpacus

When are you going to post a guitar solo?
The following 2 users Like TonyAnkle's post:
  • Aliza, brewerb

(10-17-2020, 10:32 PM)TonyAnkle Wrote: @Thumpalumpacus

I'll do it now. This is a demo I recorded a long time ago. A friend in film school who was thinking about a car-chase scene wanted some music for the background, so I wrote and recorded this. I play all the instruments: Guitar, bass, keys, and drums. (The drums were tapped out on a synthesizer, not real wood shells.)

https://soundcloud.com/thumpalumpacus/lookin-for-five-0

Song, not a solo, but whatevs. Solo starts at about 1:12 and continues throughout.

ETA: the film never got made, so yeah.

ETA2: you can dig through another few songs of the many I've written if you like what you hear. Here's anther: https://soundcloud.com/thumpalumpacus/cosmolene

Again, all instros from yours truly, vox as well.
On hiatus.
The following 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • TonyAnkle, Aliza, Deesse23, SYZ

(10-17-2020, 10:48 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

I'll do it now. This is a demo I recorded a long time ago. A friend in film school who was thinking about a car-chase scene wanted some music for the background, so I wrote and recorded this. I play all the instruments: Guitar, bass, keys, and drums. (The drums were tapped out on a synthesizer, not real wood shells.)

Song, not a solo, but whatevs. Solo starts at about 1:12 and continues throughout.

ETA2: you can dig through another few songs of the many I've written if you like what you hear.

That's a banging tune. Top marks!
The following 1 user Likes TonyAnkle's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(10-17-2020, 10:53 PM)TonyAnkle Wrote:
(10-17-2020, 10:48 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

ETA2: you can dig through another few songs of the many I've written if you like what you hear.

That's a banging tune. Top marks!

Thanks, brotha. I edited another link in, and you can listen to all the posted tunes by clicking on my name and selecting "tracks". Your kind words are appreciated, as is any critique. Smile Please forgive the poor sound quality!
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • TonyAnkle

(10-17-2020, 10:01 PM)skyking Wrote:
(10-17-2020, 08:51 PM)brewerb Wrote:
(10-17-2020, 06:20 PM)Chas Wrote: I think I'll make up a 'dining out go-bag' with hot sauce, maple syrup, salt&pepper grinders, a sharp knife, moist towelettes, and small bills for tipping. Consider

They need to make 1/4 sized cans for this purpose.
[Image: maple_syrup_can__13078.1484096125.1280.1...76.png?c=2]

[Image: JSK110.jpg]
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 2 users Like Chas's post:
  • Dānu, skyking