Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How are you going to be spending the upcoming holidays?

Personally, I don't celebrate religious holidays mounted upon the pretense of
there being imaginary supernatural entities looking out for us.  We also don't
celebrate Thanksgiving—another religious observance—here in Australia.

Having said that though, I have no qualms about other atheists or religionists
celebrating Christmas, as long as they acknowledge that the corporatists have
taken over with their mass marketing of useless junk, and associated advertising
tsunamis for the next 3 months.

And don't ask me about fucking Halloween.  Our stores here are already selling
mountains of silly plastic and paper rubbish which will end up as landfill a week
after the event.

—I'm now awaiting the first hot-cross buns' appearance on our supermarket shelves LOL.
[Image: 450?cb=20181216005636]
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Fireball

double post, grrrrrrrrrr...
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Probably will be playing Cyberpunk 2077.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

(10-01-2020, 11:30 PM)julep Wrote: I'm saving the fruitcakes (which I actually happen to love) to throw at the Proud Boy hordes, should they come a-maraudin'.

Can you give me some? Sad
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • julep

I think this year it'll just be the family OakTree [Me, Mrs, Little Miss and Doggo] due to restrictions and such - depending on what the rules are around the time, we might be able to pay a visit to my Mother/Step father + sister and maybe my Nan as well [separately] - but outside of that it might very well be "chill christmas" all round this year Smile

Probably lots of food & drink, Christmas movies/Television [For non UK people, check out Morecambe & Wise christmas specials - old school comedy double act that are the best, you have to watch one of their shows once a year. its the law!] and what ever else haha.

My kind of christmas = family close by, and just chilling out Smile
The following 3 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Bcat, TonyAnkle

My family won't be getting together for our annual Thanksgiving and Xmas dinners, so I'll be spending those days at home, watching DVD's, reading and playing computer games. I've never celebrated New Year's Eve. Nothing to miss out on there.
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Bcat, TonyAnkle

As usual Xmas will be myself, mother and one spoilt pooch. Also as usual our celebrations will centre around the dinner table, turkey & stuffing, baked ham, pigs in blankets, yams etc etc. No thanksgiving here and no Halloween due to British covid restrictions also no extended family at Xmas for the same reason (not that we have any).
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast
The following 2 users Like adey67's post:
  • TonyAnkle, Bcat

(10-03-2020, 10:18 AM)adey67 Wrote: As usual Xmas will be myself, mother and one spoilt pooch. Also as usual our celebrations will centre around the dinner table, turkey & stuffing, baked ham, pigs in blankets, yams etc etc. No thanksgiving here and no Halloween due to British covid restrictions also no extended family at Xmas for the same reason (not that we have any).

We'll be having a quiet one this year. Normally the inlaws come over and sample most of my alcohol... It'll be strange cooking for only six this year though, it's normally like a military operation.

Alone

For many years, I have gone to Montréal to see family.  It started when my big sister told me I was transporting our mother as it was clear she wasn't safe driving herself.  Our mother died in 2012, but I've continued, especially after my brother-in-law died.

Not this year. 

I might go to Maine to see my brother and sister-in-law, but I'll likely stay home alone.
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

I dunno. I might give someone a gift and then take it back with no explanation.