Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What was the high point of your day? 2.0

My brother, who I haven't seen in over a month, came over for a visit today. We wore medical masks as we sat in my den for a two-hour chat, but that didn't detract from the enjoyment of our visit. He left before noon so he'd be home in time for lunch. I was in good spirits for the rest of the day.  Smile
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 8 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Phaedrus, Finite Monkeys, GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus, Kim, Chas, mordant, Old Man Marsh

(02-25-2021, 11:05 PM)Nursey Wrote: I’m stuck in Alabama for six more years Weeping

They can come join me in Huntsville  Girl_yes2

Oh, dear, the horror stories I hear about the state of Alabama.

The following 2 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Nursey

The muddy footpaths are drying out so I had a lovely long walk with the dogs through the fields with bright blue skies and sunshine. It was so warm I had to take my jacket off and stroll about in my t-shirt (and jeans, for those of you sniggering at the back). Two tired out mutts are now fast asleep on their dog beds.
The following 1 user Likes Finite Monkeys's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Last night my left knee was hurting me so bad I didn't get to sleep until about 3:00 a.m. I had a hard time walking around the house today and, for the most part, took it easy and watched DVD's. I finally got some relief by late afternoon. I just got up a short while ago and took my meds. Most of the knee pain is gone, but there is still a bit of stiffness. Arthritis is a bitch.
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Dānu, mordant

The last couple of weeks I've been staying at my mom's house as a result of the storm and the damage it's caused. We've had some really good talks and so rather than saying it's the high-point of my day, I'm just grateful that the last two weeks we've had plenty of good nights talking and touching base.
On hiatus.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Fireball, GenesisNemesis, Kim

My rice cooker came with a rather rudimentary manual, which was one of the more frequent criticisms of the unit on Amazon. I don't remember offhand where I threw the manual, so I googled to see if there was a copy I could grab off the internet. The first link I clicked was a manual for this exact rice cooker, only under Best Buy's Insignia house brand. It's a little better than the original manual that came with the unit, including defaults and recommended settings. Chouette!
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

It's a tie:  I got an unexpected check, and our taxes are done.

And then I put a new insurance card in my wallet and found seven dollars!
god, ugh
The following 2 users Like julep's post:
  • Kim, GenesisNemesis

I just got home from a double-shift at work.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

I was feeling nauseous after running upstairs and downstairs collecting tools and materials for a project, but after I got it finished I sat down to meditate for half an hour. Felt amazingly better.
The following 1 user Likes Astreja's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

We needed witnesses for our signatures on legal forms for our house sale and purchases so nipped across to friends' place for a socially distanced, masked up, individual pens, signing session. 

Mrs FM spotted a fake bird of prey on their wooden gate and complimented them on how realistic it looked. Turns out it was a real live male sparrowhawk that regularly visits them and perches on the gate. It sat watching us for two or three minutes watching us. Not been that close to a bird of prey and for so long ever before. Fantastic!
The following 5 users Like Finite Monkeys's post:
  • Dānu, Chas, GenesisNemesis, mordant, Fireball

I had a nice sexy nap.
Is this sig thing on?
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

My new coffee maker has shipped! Woot! Woot! Hoo! Hoo! Woot! Woot!
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Gwaithmir

Breakfast.
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 2 users Like Chas's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, c172

Buying more games. Bought Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (I've played a ton of Skyrim, but never played Oblivion or Morrowind), and an interesting looking tactical card game called Fights in Tight Spaces. Will play on the weekend. Big Grin
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Dom

Gymnastics doubleheader in the web, and some moody music by Stephin Merritt and Live.
Is this sig thing on?
The following 2 users Like c172's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Dom

Not sure if this is going down as a high point or a low point, but I got a good look at a mink playing by the pond. Cuteness overload. But - they do cause havoc with some of the other wild life here that I enjoy having around. So... mixed feelings here.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, mordant

It's a bright, sunny day and my arthritis seems t have gone into remission for a while.  Sun
The following 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Dānu, GenesisNemesis, Dom, Astreja

We have the "regalaters" coming to the horsepital next week.
They're said to be "being mean" this year, (which of course makes no sense, in that the staff has been doing amazing work, dealing with COVID,
for over a year). Yeah. Fuck you, Medicare.

Anyway, there is a set of data they require concerning how long people wait in the ER for a bed, if they're admitted, and when the decision to admit is made. I only do this for Cardiology, not the whole hospital. (Someone has to, but not me).

Anyway, I went into the file and report from last year today to get it ready. OMG. I just about fainted. Last year, and the year before, I made an Excel file, which took the raw data from a report we created in EPIC, and BAM!, all you do is paste in the data to my template, and all the parameters they're looking for just fall out, including the pretty graphs. Instead of my projected 4 hours, it took about 30 seconds. I totally forgot i had done this. I think I was abducted by aliens, and some other Bucky did this. Holy shit. I was so happy I bounced off the walls.
Test
The following 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Fireball, GenesisNemesis, Finite Monkeys

A brief uninterrupted nap.
The following 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Finite Monkeys

Learning that my stimulus payment is coming Wednesday. I've still got some checking to do about the electricals, but there's a Walmart that's less than two miles from the light-rail station, which drops me off a mile from home. My hand truck has somewhat small wheels, but I figure it'll do to haul a small chest freezer 3 miles. I need to get a fastening strap from Menards first, but I can get that all done Wednesday. Or I can go with black instead of white and have it delivered. Black might work better in the bedroom, anyway, it's just unusual. I also need to order a power failure alarm from Amazon.

(ETA: It looks like Walmart is out of stock. Best Buy has one for $40 less, but it's an extra mile walking. On the plus side, warranty service only requires returning it to the store.)
(ETA2: The 7 cu. ft. one is only $170 on sale. It will be a little more work getting home, but I think it's worth the effort over the 5 cu. ft. one.)

Vivekananda
  • GenesisNemesis

(03-15-2021, 01:46 AM)Dānu Wrote: I also need to order a power failure alarm from Amazon.

What happens if the power failure alarm has a power failure? Do you need another power failure alarm for that?  Consider
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

(03-15-2021, 02:50 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(03-15-2021, 01:46 AM)Dānu Wrote: I also need to order a power failure alarm from Amazon.

What happens if the power failure alarm has a power failure? Do you need another power failure alarm for that?  Consider

There's this new-fangled thingy they call a "battery". Big Grin
Test
The following 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Dom

I was going to buy a joystick, maybe new, maybe off eBay. New it runs $60. I just caught someone selling them new on Amazon for $39. Yay! I love saving money!

Vivekananda
  • GenesisNemesis

I woke up.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

I brought my house plant back to life!! I have such a green thumb! Yessss

Here's what happened: I went away for a short while, and I moved all my plants to a sunny location and had a neighbor check on them and water them... except I forgot about the majesty palm which I left it in the bedroom with no sunlight or water. When I got home, the majesty palm was clearly in distress. I administered emergency aid right away. The plant was relocated outdoors to maximize sunlight. After a few days, it was clear that the palm was in severe distress. I tried moving the plant back indoors to manage soil moisture because I realized that the rain drenched the soil. I misted the plant and drained the soil, and I attempted to strategically place it where it could get the right amount of light. My efforts were failing... the soil had already grown moldy, and a huge chunk of the palm came off at the soil line from rot. The other stem was drying out and nothing I did was helping.

My last ditch effort was my key to success. I went to the nursery, bought some supplies, and came home to implement my new course of action. All I had to do was pull out the inner pot containing the sick, seemingly incurable palm from my outer decorative pot and replace it with a brand new majesty palm. Voila!
The following 5 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Dānu, Fireball, GenesisNemesis, Bucky Ball, Assassin