Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What was the high point of your day? 2.0

I brought 2 trailerloads of yard debris to the mulching center, swept the basement, and baked 10 chicken thighs with various spices for change. Brushed and combed the cats (no fleas). Put up holiday lights on the house (I don't always). Drained all the garden hoses so water would freeze in them. Watched Avengers: Endgame a 3rd time.

Laundry and cat litter box cleaning are sort of routine, but did those.

Cooked a few quarts of pork stew and froze portions for future meals. Made a few shrimp rolls. Getting better at that. Crunchier and not too dark.

Spent time with the cats. That's always good.

Couple of good days...
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...
The following 2 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Little Lunch, Finite Monkeys

My sister-in-law and her SO have sent me flowers with a card saying "Sending you a really big hug" for my birthday and addressed to the less gender specific version of my shortened first name. Never been sent flowers in all my time as a "man". Been feeling very emotional and seem to keep getting something in my eye whenever I think about or see the flowers. Happy tears.
The following 8 users Like Finite Monkeys's post:
  • Dānu, Fireball, julep, Little Lunch, Bcat, skyking, Thumpalumpacus, Bucky Ball

(12-18-2020, 04:32 PM)Finite Monkeys Wrote: My sister-in-law and her SO have sent me flowers with a card saying "Sending you a really big hug" for my birthday and addressed to the less gender specific version of my shortened first name. Never been sent flowers in all my time as a "man". Been feeling very emotional and seem to keep getting something in my eye whenever I think about or see the flowers. Happy tears.

Happy Birthday! Smile
The following 3 users Like Bcat's post:
  • Fireball, Finite Monkeys, Thumpalumpacus

Yup, Happy Birthday!
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • Finite Monkeys

Lindor truffles.
Is this sig thing on?
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • Bucky Ball

(12-19-2020, 03:35 AM)c172 Wrote: Lindor truffles.

If I don't get at least 2 boxes from the Cardiologists I "work" for, I quit ... well at least I'll consider it.  
Well, ..  maybe not.   Angel
Test

Found Descent 1, 2, and 3 on sale at GOG.COM for 60% off at $4 each. Descent 1&2 are two of my all-time favorite games and I found a source port that supports my controller! Woot!
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Little Lunch

(12-19-2020, 02:23 AM)Bcat Wrote:
(12-18-2020, 04:32 PM)Finite Monkeys Wrote: My sister-in-law and her SO have sent me flowers with a card saying "Sending you a really big hug" for my birthday and addressed to the less gender specific version of my shortened first name. Never been sent flowers in all my time as a "man". Been feeling very emotional and seem to keep getting something in my eye whenever I think about or see the flowers. Happy tears.

Happy Birthday! Smile

Yes! Happy birthday!
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
  • Finite Monkeys

My wife's birthday present to me we agreed would be a donation to the fundraiser I started on Facebook and she did indeed donate to the UK's LGBT Foundation. Then she surprised me with a birthday dress, a full length long sleeve number with a dark blue background and shocking pink animal print.

Best birthday ever I think, but I have been on the verge of tears for so much of it!
The following 3 users Like Finite Monkeys's post:
  • Dānu, Bcat, Little Lunch

My first day back at work from vacation was uneventful. Not much of a high point, but it'll have to do.

I did learn I'll have Wed and Thu off, which means that while we'll both be working on Christmas, my sis and I can do the holiday meal we've planned for Mom on Wed. I'll be making lasagna, spinach salad, and toasted garlic bread.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Little Lunch, mordant

I bought the game Stellaris with a bunch of addons last night. In my excitement, I forgot to check alternate sites for cheaper prices and so it cost $50 instead of $30. I'm still struggling with that burn. The main problem is that it threatened my $600 budget for Christmas presents, such that I just barely had my goal. Anyway, I returned a $35 item to Office Depot via UPS, but as of this morning my bank account hadn't been credited. I just checked again, and the credit is there. Woohoo! That means I have about $25 more than I need to finish out the month, even if I don't get any more money from donating plasma. Sweeeet! I'm gonna make it!

Vivekananda
  • Little Lunch

Put some sheet Styrofoam scraps up in the rafters in the garage. About 12 feet up, that's high enough.  Tongue
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • Little Lunch

I had to go to Whole Foods Market to pick up an Amazon package and they had wheels of Brie marked down from $8.99 to $6.29 for Prime members. I get to the register, and apparently there's an unadvertised sale on it for Christmas and it rings up at $4.53. I had $4.44 in food stamps, so it only cost me 9 cents.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Little Lunch, Finite Monkeys

You really should become a financial advisor. :-)

Had a brief socially distanced visit from friends yesterday for the exchange of Christmas gifts. They dropped off a birthday present for me too. Normally they give me three or four bottles of craft beers but this year it was a £25 Amazon voucher. Result!

Today I suspect the high point will be not getting soaked when walking the dogs, if I can manage it.

Edit: Yay I didn't get soaked!

Clocking out.

The following 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post:
  • Finite Monkeys

First time in three weeks I'll be out of the house. Now if I can remember where the grocery store is...
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 3 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Phaedrus, Little Lunch, Finite Monkeys

(12-21-2020, 01:54 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: First time in three weeks I'll be out of the house. Now if I can remember where the grocery store is...

Just don't fall and break a hip. At your age, it's fatal.

(12-21-2020, 01:55 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:
(12-21-2020, 01:54 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: First time in three weeks I'll be out of the house. Now if I can remember where the grocery store is...

Just don't fall and break a hip. At your age, it's fatal.

I'll sue the walker manufacturer if I fall. They're fault! (Doing the Immelmann had NOTHING to do with the last fall.)
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Phaedrus, Little Lunch

That moment when you nail "You Shook Me All Night Long", complete with solo, 120 bpm heartrate and hairs standing up on your arms. It's been a long time since I've had this much fun playing guitar.
On hiatus.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Dānu, Little Lunch, jerry mcmasters

I've been getting ready for a shelving project for a few weeks. My first solution was not great, but I hit upon a better idea to cover the shelves, but it would still require taping two pieces of shelf liner together to fit both the depth and the width. I needed to return the first shelf-liner and purchase a different kind, but I lost my bank cards a couple weeks ago, and wanted to wait until my Target card replacement arrived to do the return. I returned the first shelf-liner last night for store credit. I was going to head to one Target, but when I checked stock, I realized there was a Target with stock at the Quarry Mall, which has other stores I wanted to visit. On the way there, I checked Home Depot, one of the stores, to see what option they had. They had shelf-liner that would work out better than Target's liner, so I stopped in there. While looking for the stuff I'd pulled up online, I found a different shelf liner that is exactly what I needed -- no taping strips together, enough to line all 5 shelves, and nice and tough. Two happy accidents later I have the perfect solution!

Vivekananda
  • Little Lunch

I bought a one year 5 TB cloud storage plan on sale last year for $5. It was going to renew at $70 in January, but since that isn't a discounted price, I thought I'd cancel and resubscribe when it's more financially convenient, like February or March. So I clicked on the button to opt-out of auto-renew, and a popup offered me 50% off my next year's service. I would have been happy to pay $70, but $37.50 is even better!

Vivekananda
  • Little Lunch

Clocking out of work, knowing that I had done the best for my residents.

Also, that I will have the weekend off.

The following 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post:
  • Little Lunch

I found the ibuprofen that I bought at Target last week.

Vivekananda
The following 3 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Fireball, Little Lunch, Phaedrus

I just realized that January 3rd is a Sunday. Social security usually arrives on the third of the month, unless it's a weekend, in which case it moves to the prior Friday. So I'll be flush with cash on the 31st!

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Finite Monkeys, Gwaithmir