Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Futurism & Art Deco

Futurism & Art Deco
I am a huge fan of futurism and art deco styles.
Futurism was unluckyly "highjacked" by fascists and it is considered a fascist form of art and thus get a bad reputation, but I think that futurism is really one of the best art movement we had, ad I refer especially to sculpture, architecture, painting/posters and industrial design.
I like especially the future oriented visions and the machines taking over most of the work
The following 2 users Like Ausländer's post:
  • Aliza, Little Lunch

Futurism & Art Deco
(08-19-2020, 01:48 PM)Ausländer Wrote: I am a huge fan of futurism and art deco styles.
Futurism was unluckyly "highjacked" by fascists and it is considered a fascist form of art and thus get a bad reputation, but I think that futurism is really one of the best art movement we had, ad I refer especially to sculpture, architecture, painting/posters and industrial design.
I like especially the future oriented visions and the machines taking over most of the work

Samples?
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

Futurism & Art Deco
(08-19-2020, 01:48 PM)Ausländer Wrote: I am a huge fan of futurism and art deco styles.

I love, love, love art deco. I'm from the Miami area, so I may just be biased. 

[Image: 170113165157-art-deco-ocean-drive.jpg]
The following 6 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Dom, Bcat, GenesisNemesis, Dancefortwo, Little Lunch, Thumpalumpacus

Futurism & Art Deco
(08-19-2020, 02:30 PM)Dom Wrote: Samples?

The Empire State building is art deco. Nod
The following 2 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Dom, Thumpalumpacus

Futurism & Art Deco
(08-19-2020, 02:30 PM)Dom Wrote: Samples?

music: (Also mike Patton did a very good futuristic album )

Architecture https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milano_Cen...ay_station

Painting https://www.ansa.it/lifestyle/notizie/in...18647.html

sculpture http://www.artemagazine.it/attualita/ite...di-dollari

Art deco also is very nice, soon or later I wil travel to NY to see the art deco skyscrapers (starting from the chrisler building)
The following 4 users Like Ausländer's post:
  • Dom, Bcat, GenesisNemesis, Little Lunch

Futurism & Art Deco
And Tomorrow Land in the Magic Kingdom was redone in an art deco motif.
[Image: 2c67a4a75fe762970782d59a94088625.jpg]

Some people think it looks dated now, but I think the very reason for using art deco was to make it timeless. It's a past vision of the future, so the zeerust factor seems to have been considered and accounted for.

(Thank you @Tartarus Sauce for teaching me about zeerust.)
The following 3 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Dom, Bcat, Little Lunch

Futurism & Art Deco
Maybe you mean the Chrysler Building. The Empire is a little Art Decoish but the Chrysler Building is smack dab in the middle of Art Deco. 

[Image: 1200px-Chrysler_Building_1_%284684845155%29.jpg]

I love Art Deco in it's many forms too.  I love the clean lines and segmented designs.  

[Image: 02_01_PrettyArtDeco__PalacioDeBellasArte...510457.jpg]

The jewelry was amazing.  

[Image: 0d3947044a438b8b6efa92117d5000d1--sapphi...ewelry.jpg]

Front of an automobile.

[Image: gallery_medium.jpg]
                                                         T4618
The following 7 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Ausländer, Dom, Aliza, Alan V, Little Lunch, Thumpalumpacus, Bcat

Futurism & Art Deco
Indeed I also like zeerust very much.
Anyway, futurism to my eyes was the last poly-artistic movement that encompassed every aspect of life and went way beyond the 1930s
Do you know for example the works of theindustrial designer Joe Colombo?

Futurism & Art Deco
(08-19-2020, 03:27 PM)Aliza Wrote:

I love, love, love art deco. I'm from the Miami area, so I may just be biased. 

[Image: 170113165157-art-deco-ocean-drive.jpg]

Love the Miami area for that also! And some of the old hotels are just magnificent inside.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Aliza

Futurism & Art Deco
(08-19-2020, 03:57 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Maybe you mean the Chrysler Building. The Empire is a little Art Decoish but the Chrysler Building is smack dab in the middle of Art Deco. 

Yes, in hindsight, the Chrysler building is a far better example of art deco.

Futurism & Art Deco
(08-19-2020, 03:59 PM)Ausländer Wrote: Indeed I also like zeerust very much.
Anyway, futurism to my eyes was the last poly-artistic movement that encompassed every aspect of life and went way beyond the 1930s
Do you know for example the works of theindustrial designer Joe Colombo?

Never heard of him before. I'm assuming that you're referring to the designer rather than the mobster by the same name.  Tongue

His work looks like it's out of the 60's, veering toward the 70's.

Futurism & Art Deco
Indeed I refer to the designer...
Yes, he was designinig from 60s & 70s but had a touch of futuristic flavour and was obsessed with new materials (plastic etc), thus he "interiorized" the futurstic ideals of constant novelty and industrial materials, as in this gorgeous example of lamp
https://www.oluce.com/prodotto/acrilica-281/
The following 1 user Likes Ausländer's post:
  • Aliza

Futurism & Art Deco
(08-19-2020, 04:17 PM)Ausländer Wrote: Indeed I refer to the designer...
Yes, he was designinig from 60s & 70s but had a touch of futuristic flavour and was obsessed with new materials (plastic etc), thus he "interiorized" the futurstic ideals of constant novelty and industrial materials, as in this gorgeous example of lamp
https://www.oluce.com/prodotto/acrilica-281/

That is a beautiful lamp. It could fit in very well with modern décor.

Futurism & Art Deco
And then art deco cars: really what I think art is: a useful object produced in mass quntities, no difference between "the copy" and "the real one"
https://www.classicdriver.com/en/article...sculptures
The following 2 users Like Ausländer's post:
  • Aliza, Little Lunch

Futurism & Art Deco
(08-19-2020, 04:24 PM)Ausländer Wrote: And then art deco cars: really what I think art is: a useful object produced in mass quntities, no difference between "the copy" and "the real one"
https://www.classicdriver.com/en/article...sculptures

One thing that I really like about art deco in particular is the optimism about the future. People were dreaming about what can be, and that was being translated into new innovation. The world went through a huge change in the 20's and 30's, and I think we came out better for it. I think the art around us inspires us and kind of sets our mood or mindset subconsciously (or consciously). Art deco was associated with a great, new world full of wonderful things that were waiting to be explored.
The following 4 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Ausländer, GenesisNemesis, Little Lunch, Dom