Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
herbs and spices

herbs and spices
I got a bottle of herbes d'Provence (sp?) through a FB Pampered Chef party of my cousin's, and tbh, it doesn't taste bad, but it doesn't taste like much of anything. Do you use it? On what? What others are your favorites to use in recipes or at the table?
Is this sig thing on?
The following 2 users Like c172's post:
  • Bcat, Aroura

herbs and spices
I use it when I make ratatouille. Otherwise I stick with oregano, basil, coriander or savory and occasionally marjoram.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • Bcat

herbs and spices
I use a lot of different things for different dishes.
Mixes like herbs de provence for griling vegetables in the oven. Just mix them with garlic, ginger and breadcrumbs, but vegetables and cover them with the mix and put in the oven splashing them with olive oil.
One of my favourite spice is Szechuan pepper
The following 1 user Likes Ausländer's post:
  • c172

herbs and spices
I don't use much.
Bit of white/black pepper on different kinds of meat. A little garlic in stews. Basta.
I like food that tastes like food.
"The advantage of faith over reason, is that reason requires understanding. Which usually requires education; resources of time and money. 
Religion needs none of that. - It empowers the lowliest idiot to pretend that he is wiser than the wise, ignoring all the indications otherwise "
 - A. Ra

herbs and spices
I grow my own herbs. I should be getting a dehydrator delivered soon so I can preserve them as well.

I've found herbal tea is really lovely when the herbs have just been plucked from the garden. My favourite is red rose petal and chocolate pepper mint.
The following 4 users Like Mathilda's post:
  • Bcat, KittyAnn, Dom, Aroura

herbs and spices
I got a nice bottle of "herbs" from a friend in Michoacan the other day. Very nice.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

herbs and spices
Parsley, turmeric, himalayan salt, and crushed red pepper.

herbs and spices
Parsley, chives, turmeric, cayenne pepper, tomato powder, basil, rosemary, sage, Himalayan pink salt, mixed pepper corns, curry, paprika, Bragg's sprinkles, Bragg's aminos, pepper flakes, chili powder, cinnamon.

I use them all regularly, depending on what I am cooking. Many things I just leave with the natural flavors.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Bcat

herbs and spices
I grow some of my own as well. Fresh, I really like mint, thyme, rosemary, dill, different kinds of basil, garlic, and ginger. Thai basil in rice noodles soups, for instance, or sweet basil on tomato sandwiches or in crustini. Thyme is my go-to for a lot of soups.

I don't own a dehydrator, I just tie them in bunches with string and then hang them in my pantry where it's dark and they seem to dry in about a week or two, no issues.

I use a lot of herbs and spices in cooking because it can add flavor without adding much salt. I'm trying to help my husband get his BP down.

I've been doing a lot of Mediterranean and middle eastern cooking, so cumin, coriander, za'atar, garam masala, nutmeg, turmeric, chili powder, paprika, and cinnamon all get used fairly regularly. But I also have sage, tarragon, oregano, and similar common herbs that I used now and then. I don't buy premixed seasoning, for the most part, but make our own Italian herb mix and garam marsala.

Does vinegar count as a seasoning? Or fish sauce, tamari, that sort of thing? My bottles of oils and vinegars are getting slightly it off control! I have like, 5 vinegars, and half a dozen Asian seasonings.
The following 3 users Like Aroura's post:
  • Dānu, Bcat, SYZ

herbs and spices
Harissa, garam masala, and curry powders, paprika, cardamom, coriander, cumin, turmeric, garlic, chilli, ginger, Tabasco
and Worcestershire sauces, horseradish, dill and oregano.

We also use Indian pastes; balti, tikka, vindaloo, korma, kasundi, prawn balichow—usually, Bolst's, Patak's and Fern's.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Aroura

herbs and spices
(07-28-2020, 07:32 PM)c172 Wrote: I got a bottle of herbes d'Provence (sp?) through a FB Pampered Chef party of my cousin's, and tbh, it doesn't taste bad, but it doesn't taste like much of anything. Do you use it? On what? What others are your favorites to use in recipes or at the table?

Probably has dried parsley which is tasteless shit. Dried parsley is a waste of shelf space. Very good fresh. A nice bundle of fresh herbs in a sauce, soup or braised dish is always nice. I prefer using single herbs in a dish myself. A food mentor told me this about cheeses : "If it's good cheese you only need one". I think the same about herbs. Of course, the classic spice mixes such as curry have no single substitute. However, herbs d' Provence is one you can do without. Tarragon. Basil, thyme, rosemary stand well on their own. (Not including garlic, salt or black pepper in this rant).
One thing you never see: A guy in Boston Mass. with a Union flag yelling "The Nawth's gonna rise again!"
The following 2 users Like Chimp3's post:
  • Aroura, c172

herbs and spices
Thank you! I'm totallt cool with how this thread has gone, because I did ask vaguely about other things. This is the beginning of a good thread. But it's good to know the specifics of why this wasn't really working out.

Guess I'll just add other things when I do use it.
Is this sig thing on?

herbs and spices
Some herbs, like parsley, basil and chives, are best fresh.

Most dried herbs need to be cooked for some time in something liquid, gravies, soups, and so on. Or, they also gain flavor if you soak them for a day prior to use, then they do ok without being cooked.

You know how stew and chili and spaghetti sauce etc. are more flavorful the next day? It's because herbs and spices take some time to permeate the food. That's why you marinade for some time also.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • c172

herbs and spices
I keep herbs and spices for Mexican, Mediterranean, and Chinese food, mainly. Also a nice curry blend. Cumin, oregano, Thai and sweet basil, paprika, dill, fennel, powdered garlic, peppercorns for grinding, seasoned salt, ground ginger (though I use fresh shredded for stir-fry), chili-powder, and a couple of other odds and ends.
On hiatus.

herbs and spices
I use pretty much every herb and spice mentioned by everyone here but with the inclusion of lovage which has a beautifully strong concentrated flavour reminiscent of a cross between celery and parsley. With regards to herbs Provence it should always have lavender in it, if its lacking lavender it won't taste or cook the same and isn't really Provencal herbs, I use lavender quite a lot in both savoury and sweet dishes, a few sprigs in a rice pudding is amazing. I also use rose water and orange blossom extract.
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast