Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the one food you haven't tried, but want to...

I've eaten Dugong with aboriginals in North Queensland.
Also had emu, kangaroo and crocodile, the latter is now really hard to get but the others aren't.
I've had scorpion in Thailand, maggots and grasshoppers in Malaysia, all deep fried, best way to eat insects.
I had a serpent banquet including dessert, all snake, in Vietnam.
It was there that I wanted to try dog meat.
I couldn't find anywhere except actual locals which would have been stray dog or even worse, someone's pet.
I'd eat cat too.
I'd even try human if I was on a deserted island with some people and starving. :-)
The following 2 users Like Little Lunch's post:
  • Bcat, Fireball

I've eaten spiders too.
Witchety grubs are gross, especially when they're still twitching.
Green ants in boiling water make a nice lemony drink. :-)
The following 1 user Likes Little Lunch's post:
  • Bcat

(08-03-2020, 06:39 PM)c172 Wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_smut#Culinary_uses

Big delicacy in part of Mexico.

That does sound interesting, especially to someone like me who's never yet met an edible fungus he didn't like, with the exception of the Phallus impudicus, which I have been warned off of due to it's taste. It's a shame because I heave to kill dozens of them every year in my front yard to keep the adult form from stinking up the neighborhood.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Bcat

(08-03-2020, 08:47 PM)Little Lunch Wrote: I've eaten Dugong with aboriginals in North Queensland.
Also had emu, kangaroo and crocodile, the latter is now really hard to get but the others aren't.
I've had scorpion in Thailand, maggots and grasshoppers in Malaysia, all deep fried, best way to eat insects.
I couldn't find anywhere except actual locals which would have been stray dog or even worse, someone's pet.
I'd eat cat too.
I'd even try human if I was on a deserted island with some people and starving. :-)

Yikes, I wouldn’t eat any of those things, but at least you don’t have to worry about ever going hungry. Tongue
The following 2 users Like Bcat's post:
  • Little Lunch, TheGentlemanBastard

I don't like smelly cheese. :-)
The following 1 user Likes Little Lunch's post:
  • Bcat

(08-03-2020, 08:59 PM)Bcat Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 08:47 PM)Little Lunch Wrote: I've eaten Dugong with aboriginals in North Queensland.
I'd eat cat too.

Yikes, I wouldn’t eat any of those things, but at least you don’t have to worry about ever going hungry. Tongue

Yeah, with the exception of emu, kangaroo, crocodile and snake (all four can be found on restaurant menus here in the states), I'd have to be in dire straights to eat most of the stuff LL listed.
The following 2 users Like TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Bcat, Little Lunch

There are a few common ones. Nutella or hazelnut spread. Tiramisu. A few less common ones. Snake, alligator, and frogs legs.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Bcat, Little Lunch

I love watch cooking shows, but I would never want to eat anything prepared on them.
This question actually makes me a bit queasy.

I’d eat something new if there was some spittoon sort of thing available to me, just in case.

All that said, I once had some kind of stuffed squash thing in high school that I would love to have again. Maybe that counts?
god, ugh
The following 2 users Like julep's post:
  • Bcat, Little Lunch

No one particular dish, but I need to explore Indian and African cuisine more. I've had curries and such, but my palate is woefully ignorant of those styles of cooking.
On hiatus.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Bcat, TheGentlemanBastard, Little Lunch

(08-03-2020, 11:58 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: No one particular dish, but I need to explore Indian and African cuisine more. I've had curries and such, but my palate is woefully ignorant of those styles of cooking.

I've been sampling Indian cuisine over the last couple years (curries are but the tip of the ice-berg), it's where my liking for naan came from, but am having difficulties finding any simple Indian recipes. The ones I can find seem to always call for half-a-dozen spices I don't have, at $4 to $8/bottle, a huge laundry list of ingredients, and/or instructions more complicated than nuclear weapons assembly and prep times coinciding with the heat death of the universe. These may work fine for a five-star restaurant, but I'm not going to that level of trouble for a single meal. I'm far more interested in Indian comfort food. What would Joe Farmer be making instead of mac'n'cheese, biscuits and gravy, or grilled cheese had he grown up in India instead. If someone knows any, or can point me to where I might be able to find, good Indian recipes like that, I'd be much obliged.

I know nothing about African cuisine, but would certainly be interested in learning. Anyone know of any good dishes/recipes?

I've also wanted to explore Middle Eastern cuisine. Another that I know nothing about.

I'd also like to learn more about American regional and local dishes. Growing up, we had chocolate and biscuits for breakfast (yes, real chocolate sauce, not a chocolate gravy). I have no idea if it was a regional/local thing my mother picked up or if it was just a result of her growing up dirt poor and that was an inexpensive way for her mother to make an inexpensive treat for her kids. I still have grandma's hand written notes for "commune stew" what we grew up calling "Hobo Stew." I've made "generally safe for consumption" versions for my kids and they love it. Smile
The following 3 users Like TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Bcat, Little Lunch, Dānu

(08-04-2020, 05:01 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: I've been sampling Indian cuisine over the last couple years (curries are but the tip of the ice-berg), it's where my liking for naan came from, but am having difficulties finding any simple Indian recipes. The ones I can find seem to always call for half-a-dozen spices I don't have, at $4 to $8/bottle, a huge laundry list of ingredients, and/or instructions more complicated than nuclear weapons assembly and prep times coinciding with the heat death of the universe. These may work fine for a five-star restaurant, but I'm not going to that level of trouble for a single meal. I'm far more interested in Indian comfort food. What would Joe Farmer be making instead of mac'n'cheese, biscuits and gravy, or grilled cheese had he grown up in India instead. If someone knows any, or can point me to where I might be able to find, good Indian recipes like that, I'd be much obliged.

There are times I'll be happy to spend a few hours in the kitchen, for an occasion. I'll make my lasagna, which is a few hours with everything fresh but the pasta, for folks, and I had to learn how to do it in private so yeah, several times done that, and I'd be willing to do it for Indian food too -- though I'd have to round up the spices too. Smile

(08-04-2020, 05:01 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: I've also wanted to explore Middle Eastern cuisine. Another that I know nothing about.

Yeah, there's some more exotic and expensive spices for ya.
On hiatus.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Bcat, Little Lunch, TheGentlemanBastard

(08-04-2020, 05:12 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(08-04-2020, 05:01 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: I've been sampling Indian cuisine over the last couple years (curries are but the tip of the ice-berg), it's where my liking for naan came from, but am having difficulties finding any simple Indian recipes. The ones I can find seem to always call for half-a-dozen spices I don't have, at $4 to $8/bottle, a huge laundry list of ingredients, and/or instructions more complicated than nuclear weapons assembly and prep times coinciding with the heat death of the universe. These may work fine for a five-star restaurant, but I'm not going to that level of trouble for a single meal. I'm far more interested in Indian comfort food. What would Joe Farmer be making instead of mac'n'cheese, biscuits and gravy, or grilled cheese had he grown up in India instead. If someone knows any, or can point me to where I might be able to find, good Indian recipes like that, I'd be much obliged.

There are times I'll be happy to spend a few hours in the kitchen, for an occasion. I'll make my lasagna, which is a few hours with everything fresh but the pasta, for folks, and I had to learn how to do it in private so yeah, several times done that, and I'd be willing to do it for Indian food too -- though I'd have to round up the spices too. Smile

(08-04-2020, 05:01 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: I've also wanted to explore Middle Eastern cuisine. Another that I know nothing about.

Yeah, there's some more exotic and expensive spices for ya.

Yeah, I've got some long prep time recipes I drag out for special occasions, but damned if I'm gonna take three days to make a dinner for four that we may not even like. Tongue 

I don't really mind the cost of the spices, as long as they're spices I can use for more than one dish. Spreads the cost way out. I've got a recipe for Peanut Chicken (works great with pork too) that would cost over $50 to make if I had to buy all the ingredients every time, but only costs about $8 if I'm not buying every single teaspoon, tablespoon, dram, 1/4 oz., dash, and pinch ingredient all at once. And, since I can use all those ingredients in other recipes, I just replace when I run short of this, that, or the other. Smile
The following 3 users Like TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Dānu, Bcat, Thumpalumpacus

I have no much interest in insects, though is strange since I am crazy for shrimps & co that I like to eat even alive
I would like to try some dog meat and some nutria, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coypu
Nutria is fairly easy to find where I live and indeed is a pest that gives trouble to farmers & water channels, but since it is not sold I am always doubtful in purchasing (you neve know what you buy and meat can be infsted with parasites)
The following 3 users Like Ausländer's post:
  • Little Lunch, Bcat, Gwaithmir

Seafood as a whole - it looks/smells soooo good, but the texture of some of it really puts me off. I've never tried lobster for example, but it also looks a bit gross, so not wanting to order it somewhere/not like it and then waste a load of money haha.
The following 3 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • TonyAnkle, Deesse23, Bcat

Frogs legs. Tiramisu. A bunch of stuff that I see at the Asian grocery store but have no clue what it is.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Bcat

(10-13-2020, 03:00 PM)OakTree500 Wrote: Seafood as a whole - it looks/smells soooo good, but the texture of some of it really puts me off. I've never tried lobster for example, but it also looks a bit gross, so not wanting to order it somewhere/not like it and then waste a load of money haha.

I'm with you mate... When it comes to Seafood, I always have trouble getting what it looked like when it was alive out of my mind. That's probably why I've never tried Octopus.
The following 3 users Like TonyAnkle's post:
  • adey67, OakTree500, Bcat

(10-13-2020, 03:11 PM)TonyAnkle Wrote:
(10-13-2020, 03:00 PM)OakTree500 Wrote: Seafood as a whole - it looks/smells soooo good, but the texture of some of it really puts me off. I've never tried lobster for example, but it also looks a bit gross, so not wanting to order it somewhere/not like it and then waste a load of money haha.

I'm with you mate... When it comes to Seafood, I always have trouble getting what it looked like when it was alive out of my mind. That's probably why I've never tried Octopus.

Octopus is fantastic especially when cooked in its own ink. 

Foods I want to try: Frogs legs, alligator, turbot halibut, ostrich.
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast
The following 2 users Like adey67's post:
  • TonyAnkle, Bcat

Okonomiyaki.
Is this sig thing on?
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • Bcat

I hate fish. I love shrimp and lobster. They don't taste fishy at all. (If you want to try lobster with your eyes closed try lobster bisque.)
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Bcat

(10-13-2020, 03:22 PM)adey67 Wrote:
(10-13-2020, 03:11 PM)TonyAnkle Wrote:

I think frog legs are over rated. The taste like small pieces of chicken and are way overpriced.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 3 users Like Dom's post:
  • Fireball, Bcat, adey67

(10-13-2020, 04:19 PM)Dom Wrote:
(10-13-2020, 03:22 PM)adey67 Wrote:
(10-13-2020, 03:11 PM)TonyAnkle Wrote: I'm with you mate... When it comes to Seafood, I always have trouble getting what it looked like when it was alive out of my mind. That's probably why I've never tried Octopus.

I think frog legs are over rated. The taste like small pieces of chicken and are way overpriced.

I don't doubt you dear friend but I've done snails and I just want to try those frogs legs along with the other things, for me it's not just the taste of things it's what they are that's as important.
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast

(10-13-2020, 07:57 PM)adey67 Wrote:
(10-13-2020, 04:19 PM)Dom Wrote:
(10-13-2020, 03:22 PM)adey67 Wrote: Octopus is fantastic especially when cooked in its own ink. 

I don't doubt you dear friend but I've done snails and I just want to try those frogs legs along with the other things, for me it's not just the taste of things it's what they are that's as important.

Snails I like. Smile
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • adey67

When I lived in Spain I can remember seeing old ladies out at night turning stones over. They all had little baskets with them, I thought they were drunk.... Then I sampled the Paella in the village square and realised what they had been up to.
The following 1 user Likes TonyAnkle's post:
  • Little Lunch

I will try anything.
The following 1 user Likes no one's post:
  • Fireball

I once asked the owner of a restaurant if he had frogs legs. He said "Yes of course." I said "Okay then, hop to the kitchen and get me a steak."
The following 4 users Like TonyAnkle's post:
  • adey67, Little Lunch, Fireball, Gwaithmir