Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
WWE

WWE
(11-28-2022, 09:16 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:
(11-27-2022, 02:03 AM)Camaro Dude Wrote: Have you ever met Adrian Street by chance? Small in stature compared to the average wrestle, but could take most wrestlers in his day in a shoot match.

Or Haku/Ming? Alleged to be possibly the most legitimate tough wrestler ever. Probably would have done well in MMA.

Nope never met either but know of each of them respectively. Haku is supposedly a total machine and once bit a mans nose off!
Yes, there's quite a few stories out there on You Tube of his exploits, many of them in bars. Evidently mace didn't affect him. And even his former tag team partner The Barbarian who looks like a machine himself admitted Haku is the baddest in his prime.

WWE
(11-28-2022, 09:54 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(10-15-2020, 11:24 AM)TonyAnkle Wrote: I remember watching wrestling as a kid back in the 70's. 

It was always on World Of Sport on a Saturday, I remember thinking how ridiculous it was that two grown men were pretending to hurt eachother whist wearing leotards...

Big Daddy vs Giant Hatstacks was pretty hilarious though.

This is weird.  In my childhood house, Dad installed a combination of a radio and inside/outside speakerboxes (He  had an audio-fanatic friend).   We could/had to listen to radio everywhere.  Dad loved the wrestling broadcasts.  I remember "Bruno Samartino".  Later, the station played fictitious boxing matches between Rocky Marciano and Cassius Clay (sp?) and others in a GOAT contest.  No. I don't remember who won, but does anyone remember those things?

The speaker over the front door scared the utter crap out of trick-or-treaters, too.  LOL!
I remember that computer bout between Marciano and Ali. I had to look it up because I didn't remember who won either. Apparently Ali won by a TKO, due to a cut on Marciano's eye.
The following 1 user Likes Camaro Dude's post:
  • Cavebear

WWE
My timeline would have been late 70s. Jose Lothario was our wrestling superhero. He teamed up with the younger Gino Hernandez (who I believe OD'ed eventually). Another good guy was Rocky Johnson (actual dad of the Rock Dwayne J). I remember all of them at some point playing the "heel" but it was the best when they were the good guys. Dad took us to live wrestling in Houston back in the day. Great memories. I think we had a vague understanding that it was all fake and just for fun but we played along and had a great time.
The following 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • OakTree500, Camaro Dude

WWE
(11-28-2022, 03:30 PM)OakTree500 Wrote:
(11-27-2022, 03:10 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: The WWE is choregraphed, there's no "sport" in it.

Correct - its predetermined for the audience to enjoy the show. However I can assure it it takes a whole lot of effort and hurts like fuck.

Like football. But without the element of chance.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • OakTree500

WWE
(11-30-2022, 12:34 AM)Camaro Dude Wrote:
(11-28-2022, 09:54 AM)Cavebear Wrote: This is weird.  In my childhood house, Dad installed a combination of a radio and inside/outside speakerboxes (He  had an audio-fanatic friend).   We could/had to listen to radio everywhere.  Dad loved the wrestling broadcasts.  I remember "Bruno Samartino".  Later, the station played fictitious boxing matches between Rocky Marciano and Cassius Clay (sp?) and others in a GOAT contest.  No. I don't remember who won, but does anyone remember those things?

The speaker over the front door scared the utter crap out of trick-or-treaters, too.  LOL!
I remember that computer bout between Marciano and Ali. I had to look it up because I didn't remember who won either. Apparently Ali won by a TKO, due to a cut on Marciano's eye.

I'm old enough to remember not being able to look up stuff like that. LOL! I'm not even sure what to keyboard in Google. Do you remember who "won" the title?
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

WWE
(11-30-2022, 04:16 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(11-30-2022, 12:34 AM)Camaro Dude Wrote: I remember that computer bout between Marciano and Ali. I had to look it up because I didn't remember who won either. Apparently Ali won by a TKO, due to a cut on Marciano's eye.

I'm old enough to remember not being able to look up stuff like that.  LOL!  I'm not even sure what to keyboard in Google.  Do you remember who "won" the title?
Skimming through the wiki page, I'm confused at this point. Apparently Rocky Marciano beat Jack Dempsey to win the fantasy fight title. And at some point Ali lost to Jim Jeffries, and ended up suing for defamation.
[/url]
[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Super_Fight]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Super_Fight

WWE
(11-30-2022, 12:42 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: My timeline would have been late 70s.  Jose Lothario was our wrestling superhero.  He teamed up with the younger Gino Hernandez (who I believe OD'ed eventually).  Another good guy was Rocky Johnson (actual dad of the Rock Dwayne J).  I remember all of them at some point playing the "heel" but it was the best when they were the good guys.  Dad took us to live wrestling in Houston back in the day.  Great memories.  I think we had a vague understanding that it was all fake and just for fun but we played along and had a great time.
Both Rocky Johnson, and Peter Maivia (Rock's grandfather) were a huge draw in Northern California!
The following 1 user Likes Camaro Dude's post:
  • jerry mcmasters