Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sharpening knives

sharpening knives
Sharpness. Hmm.

I went out and counted my carving tools during a discussion about them at another website. I have 103 carving chisels, and 18 knives. I have to keep them razor sharp to do the carving, or they just dig in and leave rough cuts. They are kept sharp enough that all that is required is honing. That's not something that people need to do when they are cutting stuff up in the kitchen. For the kitchen knives I use a set of diamond "stones" that I have equipment to maintain a constant angle when sharpening the blade. The sharper (more acute) the angle is on a blade, the easier it is to take a "chip" out of it, thus dulling it. A blade that will last in the kitchen and elsewhere will be "cam ground", which means that the edge is keen, and as one moves away from the edge, it increases slightly in thickness. It is the opposite of what manufacturers call "hollow ground". It lasts longer but is less "sharp". Hollow ground blades need to be sharpened a lot more often. If anyone wants, I can post pictures or links to sites that will have pictures and will explain it better than I may have here.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

sharpening knives
You're not actually sharpening edges with most of those tools, you're resharpening them.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Cavebear

sharpening knives
(06-25-2020, 01:00 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: You're not actually sharpening edges with most of those tools, you're resharpening them.

OK
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

sharpening knives
(06-25-2020, 01:00 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: You're not actually sharpening edges with most of those tools, you're resharpening them.

Actually, most of "resharpening" knives is honing the edges back straight. That's what a sharpening steel does. It straightens the fine slightly bent edge of a knife.
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

sharpening knives
[Image: how-to-sharpen-your-scissors-with-aluminum-foil.jpg]
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Dānu, Chas

sharpening knives
"resharpen"

sharpening knives
(06-25-2020, 05:29 PM)Dom Wrote: [Image: how-to-sharpen-your-scissors-with-aluminum-foil.jpg]

I just tried the Aluminum foil and it worked. Pooches, here I come! 

Dog Dog
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Chas

sharpening knives
(06-25-2020, 06:01 PM)Dom Wrote:
(06-25-2020, 05:29 PM)Dom Wrote: [Image: how-to-sharpen-your-scissors-with-aluminum-foil.jpg]

I just tried the Aluminum foil and it worked. Pooches, here I come! 

Dog Dog

sharpening knives
i just finished a new knife so I had the sharpener out. I started with a 180 grit stone since it had never had an edge put on it. Went from there to a 400 grit stone. Then to an 800 grit stone before switching to the diamond paste. Used 1000, 2000, and 5000 grit paste. I could take several more steps down to 200,000 grit (0.1 micron) but no need on this kind of knife. The whole process took about 20 minutes, and it is shaving sharp now. 

[Image: 6GRszwR.jpg]

The new knife is the big brother to this one. 

[Image: qxq8NaC.jpg]
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
The following 7 users Like PopeyesPappy's post:
  • Fireball, Dom, Dānu, Deesse23, Thumpalumpacus, brewerb, Chas

sharpening knives
(07-02-2020, 12:12 AM)PopeyesPappy Wrote: i just finished a new knife so I had the sharpener out. I started with a 180 grit stone since it had never had an edge put on it. Went from there to a 400 grit stone. Then to an 800 grit stone before switching to the diamond paste. Used 1000, 2000, and 5000 grit paste. I could take several more steps down to 200,000 grit (0.1 micron) but no need on this kind of knife. The whole process took about 20 minutes, and it is shaving sharp now. 

[Image: 6GRszwR.jpg]

The new knife is the big brother to this one. 

[Image: qxq8NaC.jpg]

That's some mighty fine work! Did you also make the sheath?
The following 2 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Dom, Thumpalumpacus

sharpening knives
(07-02-2020, 12:33 AM)Fireball Wrote: That's some mighty fine work! Did you also make the sheath?

Thanks, and yes I made the sheath too. There were a lot of firsts for me on that knife. First piece of forged 1095. First time I tried spacers on the handle. First two-piece sheath. First time stamping leather. 

Liners.

[Image: XA29tnx.jpg]

I wasn't thrilled with the red so the one I just finished only has a black spacer. I think am going to try sandwiching a brass spacer between two pieces of black G10 and a walnut handle on the next one.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
The following 4 users Like PopeyesPappy's post:
  • Dom, Fireball, Thumpalumpacus, SYZ

sharpening knives
(07-02-2020, 12:53 AM)PopeyesPappy Wrote:
(07-02-2020, 12:33 AM)Fireball Wrote: That's some mighty fine work! Did you also make the sheath?

Thanks, and yes I made the sheath too. There were a lot of firsts for me on that knife. First piece of forged 1095. First time I tried spacers on the handle. First two-piece sheath. First time stamping leather. 

Liners.

[Image: XA29tnx.jpg]

I wasn't thrilled with the red so the one I just finished only has a black spacer. I think am going to try sandwiching a brass spacer between two pieces of black G10 and a walnut handle on the next one.

It looks really cool!
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Fireball, PopeyesPappy

sharpening knives
Beautiful work, @PopeyesPappy.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • PopeyesPappy

sharpening knives
(06-23-2020, 05:42 PM)PopeyesPappy Wrote: Sharpening is my new favorite subject.  

Steels work well for maintaining an edge on most knives. They are shit for sharpening a dull knife though, and depending on the knife steel and the heat treat may not work at all on some higher end knives. So one thing you need to think about is what am I sharpening? You can sharpen grandma's old high carbon Old Hickory knives with a rock out of the garden, but you are probably going to need ceramics or diamond if you are trying to sharpen an expensive blade made from M390 or CPM S110V. 

For most of my life I used oil and/or water stones to sharpen knives. A step up from traditional oil/water stones is diamond stones. Diamonds cut faster traditional stones. They cost more though, and the more expensive monocrystalline diamond stones last longer than polycrystalline diamond stones. Traditional and diamond stones work but depend on technique to get good results. The important thing when putting an edge on a knife is a repeatable angle, and a lot of people don't want to put in the time figuring out how to get repeatable results when sharpening on a fixed flat surface. 

These days I do most of my sharpening freehand on a 2x72 belt grinder with ceramic belts, but when I want to get something atom splitting scary sharp I use a fixed angle sharpening system that uses diamond paste on hard maple blocks. You can spend a shit load of money on something like that, but you don't need to. I'm currently using a $40 Chinese knockoff of an Edge Pro. It works really well. The stones that come with it are shit, but they work. They just wear to quickly for my purposes. The good news is they will last most people lifetime, and if they don't they can be replaced with better stones or even diamond later. 

Edge Pro Clone: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fix-angle-Knife...2749.l2649

Yeah, a steel will not sharpen a knife, only hone an edge.  A steel worked ok on my older Sabatier knives (high carbon blades), but my good knives bite into the steel, so it no longer gets used.

I switched to diamond stones and water some years ago after many years of Arkansas stones and oil. and I now use a ceramic instead of a steel to hone them.
After years of practice, I'm pretty consistent with angle, and I could shave with them (although I don't think I'll try that with the serrated blades.)
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

sharpening knives
(06-24-2020, 11:22 PM)Dom Wrote: I have issues keeping the scissors I use for dog grooming sharp. And it is annoying, they are not exactly cheap and they need to have blunt tips and sharp blades to work the face and around the eyes. Well, they need to be sharp working anywhere, but the face makes the dogs impatient and wriggly if I fiddle around with cuts that don't actually cut.

Have you tried ice tempered shears?
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

sharpening knives
(07-27-2020, 08:06 AM)Chas Wrote:
(06-24-2020, 11:22 PM)Dom Wrote: I have issues keeping the scissors I use for dog grooming sharp. And it is annoying, they are not exactly cheap and they need to have blunt tips and sharp blades to work the face and around the eyes. Well, they need to be sharp working anywhere, but the face makes the dogs impatient and wriggly if I fiddle around with cuts that don't actually cut.

Have you tried ice tempered shears?

No, but now I will. 

Where have you been? We were worried about you!
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Fireball