Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Juneteenth

Juneteenth
No one's gonna mention Juneteenth? OK I will. Happy Juneteenth!

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/19/880754393...oclamation

Quote: Juneteenth is getting unusually widespread attention this year, as Americans protest police brutality and racism.

But some Americans have, for years, celebrated it as the day that marks our ancestors' emancipation.

June 19, 1865, was the day U.S. Army troops landed in Galveston, Texas. It was the aftermath of the Civil War. The troops informed some of the last enslaved Americans that they were forever free. They enforced President Abraham Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation, which had taken effect on Jan. 1, 1863.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 3 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Alan V, Thumpalumpacus

Juneteenth
I'm the first to admit that I had never heard of Juneteenth prior to the recent protests but I'm happy to learn more about Black History.   I'm glad I know about this now.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Juneteenth
(06-20-2020, 03:48 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: I'm the first to admit that I had never heard of Juneteenth prior to the recent protests but I'm happy to learn more about Black History.   I'm glad I know about this now.

Same here.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • GenesisNemesis