Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Can we rename the forum?

Can we rename the forum?
I'm good with mentioning him when it's actually apt, and avoiding any such mention when it's an obvious artifice.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Dancefortwo, TheGentlemanBastard

Can we rename the forum?
(05-19-2020, 09:00 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 05:20 PM)Bcat Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 05:07 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: http://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/foru...hp?fid=103

I started a thread called Vocabulary Words under that heading.  Here's one post.  I love you SYZ Smile   Heart I'm just using your post to illustrate Vera's point:

"Donald Trump's speeches show an inevitably jejune quality, and provide the American public with little factual information regarding coronavirus."

As I say this post was just an example and by no means is my stating that Syz only talks about Trump.  He typically only talks about Australia  Deadpan Coffee Drinker Joking!!  Heart  Smile

Of course. I'm just pointing out that there's discussion of the arts and lit that don't involve Trump.

Yes, it's annoying that he invades so many threads.

Come now, Thump. I think it's been proven beyond a reasonable doubt that all threads will be viewed as Trump threads to anyone allowing President Chuckle-Fuck to live in their head.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 3 users Like TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Fireball, Mark, Vera

Can we rename the forum?
(05-19-2020, 10:17 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: OR we could just not be jerks.

No.
Is this sig thing on?
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • Fireball

Can we rename the forum?
Make's me wonder what Trump's art preferences are. Did he like Beetlejuice?
Is this sig thing on?

Can we rename the forum?
And ironically enough, there's barely any atheism or religious matters being discussed.
The following 3 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • Bcat, jerry mcmasters, Tres Leches

Can we rename the forum?
(05-19-2020, 10:17 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: OR we could just not be jerks.

Sorry, not possible, we're american. It's that whole ego and entitlement thing.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Fireball

Can we rename the forum?
There are a lot of topics I think of that I consider bringing up but then I think, ehh, who cares? In ten minutes, I won't even care.
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Tres Leches

Can we rename the forum?
(05-20-2020, 12:12 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 09:00 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 05:20 PM)Bcat Wrote: I started a thread called Vocabulary Words under that heading.  Here's one post.  I love you SYZ Smile   Heart I'm just using your post to illustrate Vera's point:

"Donald Trump's speeches show an inevitably jejune quality, and provide the American public with little factual information regarding coronavirus."

As I say this post was just an example and by no means is my stating that Syz only talks about Trump.  He typically only talks about Australia  Deadpan Coffee Drinker Joking!!  Heart  Smile

Of course. I'm just pointing out that there's discussion of the arts and lit that don't involve Trump.

Yes, it's annoying that he invades so many threads.

Come now, Thump. I think it's been proven beyond a reasonable doubt that all threads will be viewed as Trump threads to anyone allowing President Chuckle-Fuck to live in their head.

I personally prefer Monet's Cheeto period, where he had vibrant oranges in his paintings.

Don't you dare think of that shade of orange!
On hiatus.
  • Fireball, TheGentlemanBastard

Can we rename the forum?
(05-20-2020, 01:16 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: And ironically enough, there's barely any atheism or religious matters being discussed.

Ironically enough, some of us don't fucking care to argue with the religiousTongue At least I don't. Say, what happened to drich? OH Yeah.  Dance FWIW, he joined another atheist site I am a member of and got spanked pretty quickly. Made it all the way to 120 posts.  ROFL2
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 3 users Like Fireball's post:
  • skyking, Dānu, Tres Leches

Can we rename the forum?
(05-20-2020, 03:23 AM)Fireball Wrote:
(05-20-2020, 01:16 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: And ironically enough, there's barely any atheism or religious matters being discussed.

Ironically enough, some of us don't fucking care to argue with the religiousTongue At least I don't. Say, what happened to drich? OH Yeah.  Dance FWIW, he joined another atheist site I am a member of and got spanked pretty quickly. Made it all the way to 120 posts.  ROFL2

I don't like arguing over it either.  That said, I think there are topics that involve religion and atheism that would just be topics of discussion and not necessarily lead to arguing.  I do agree with Phaedrus' point--for an atheism forum the topic of atheism isn't really brought up much.
The following 1 user Likes Bcat's post:
  • Vera

Can we rename the forum?
(05-20-2020, 03:34 AM)Bcat Wrote: I do agree with Phaedrus' point--for an atheism forum the topic of atheism isn't really brought up much.

I like it for that. I usually avoid religious discussions for precisely that reason.

Unless I'm bored, then all bets are off.
On hiatus.
  • Bcat, SYZ

Can we rename the forum?
(05-20-2020, 03:34 AM)Bcat Wrote:
(05-20-2020, 03:23 AM)Fireball Wrote:

I don't like arguing over it either.  That said, I think there are topics that involve religion and atheism that would just be topics of discussion and not necessarily lead to arguing.  I do agree with Phaedrus' point--for an atheism forum the topic of atheism isn't really brought up much.

It's a discussion forum for atheists.  Atheists discuss lots of things other than religion or the lack thereof.
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 8 users Like Chas's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Bcat, TheGentlemanBastard, skyking, Alan V, Fireball, trdsf, Tres Leches

Can we rename the forum?
(05-20-2020, 03:58 AM)Chas Wrote:
(05-20-2020, 03:34 AM)Bcat Wrote:
(05-20-2020, 03:23 AM)Fireball Wrote: Ironically enough, some of us don't fucking care to argue with the religiousTongue At least I don't. Say, what happened to drich? OH Yeah.  Dance FWIW, he joined another atheist site I am a member of and got spanked pretty quickly. Made it all the way to 120 posts.  ROFL2

It's a discussion forum for atheists.  Atheists discuss lots of things other than religion or the lack thereof.

Oh of course, I just meant there aren't really many topics on atheism.  I don't want or expect there to be all topics on atheism.  I like that there's a diverse amount of topics to choose from.
The following 1 user Likes Bcat's post:
  • c172

Can we rename the forum?
The sad fact is that Trump is part of so many subjects legitimately. He is the President of the US and that matters internationally. He has influence. He has some power. If he mentions China trade, that is international trade. If he mentions oil prices, that is about the Middle East and Russia. If he mentions the EU, it is about Europe. If he mentions pandemic, that is international.

There is no escaping him on almost any subject. Love him or hate him, he is a constant presence. What he does and says "matters". I hate that. But he is there and there is no ignoring him. Hopefully, that will end in the next US election. Or maybe we get stuck with him for another 4 years.

But short of just discussing sports and maybe old movies, how do you escape him?
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Alan V

Can we rename the forum?
(05-20-2020, 07:14 AM)Cavebear Wrote: But short of just discussing sports and maybe old movies, how do you escape him?

The point wasn't to escape our unfortunate president.  We have more than enough topics to cover him.  The point was not to make odd topics about him too, to keep them separate.
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • Vera

Can we rename the forum?
Please, just keep politics in Politics. It can't be that hard. Unless you're monomaniacal, of course.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Vera

Can we rename the forum?
(05-20-2020, 10:39 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Please, just keep politics in Politics. It can't be that hard. Unless you're monomaniacal, of course.

I am a jelly doughnut!

Can we rename the forum?
(05-20-2020, 11:39 AM)brewerb Wrote:
(05-20-2020, 10:39 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Please, just keep politics in Politics. It can't be that hard. Unless you're monomaniacal, of course.

I am a jelly doughnut!
I am a meat popsicle.

Can we rename the forum?
(05-20-2020, 11:45 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(05-20-2020, 11:39 AM)brewerb Wrote:

I am a jelly doughnut!
I am a meat popsicle.
Take down that meat wall.
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

Can we rename the forum?
I'd just like to apologize for being an American. I'm not proud of it I can assure you. It isn't the worse place to live .. it's just worse than any place else you can imagine.

¡¡ U - S - A , WE - ALL - SUCK , U -S - A !!

Okay, I think that will do it for a while. Just something I had to get off my chest.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.

Can we rename the forum?
I will never apologize for being an American.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Can we rename the forum?
(05-20-2020, 02:00 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I will never apologize for being an American.

I will, because relinquishing myself of the title of where I was born frees me from its corruptive nature. I may be an American because I was born here, but it is not a title I must accept against my better judgment.

Can we rename the forum?
Another derail, partially my fault.

Can we rename the forum?
At least we're derailing together. Heart
The following 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

Can we rename the forum?
(05-20-2020, 07:14 AM)Cavebear Wrote: The sad fact is that Trump is part of so many subjects legitimately.  He is the President of the US and that matters internationally.  He has influence.  He has some power.  If he mentions China trade, that is international trade.  If he mentions oil prices, that is about the Middle East and Russia.  If he mentions the EU, it is about Europe.  If he mentions pandemic, that is international.

There is no escaping him on almost any subject.  Love him or hate him, he is a constant presence.  What he does and says "matters".  I hate that.  But he is there and there is no ignoring him.  Hopefully, that will end in the next US election.  Or maybe we get stuck with him for another 4 years.  

But short of just discussing sports and maybe old movies, how do you escape him?

You are absolutely right.

How can we possibly talk about a hundred-year-old pandemic or a solar minimum *without* mentioning "Orange Chucklefuck" and/or American politics? It is beyond the bounds of possibility.

I stand corrected and bow my head in shame for disrupting the unending barrage of the same old, same old nothing Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Shan't happen again.
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 4 users Like Vera's post:
  • Alan V, Bcat, Tres Leches, Inkubus