Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Social distancing may be necessary through to 2022

In the US according to a new paper released in the last 24 hours by Harvard researchers.

"Under current critical care capacities, however, the overall duration of the SARS-CoV-2 epidemic could last into 2022, requiring social distancing measures to be in place between 25% (for wintertime R0 = 2 and seasonality; fig. S11A) and 75% (for wintertime R0 = 2.6 and no seasonality; fig. S9C) of that time."

"The authors are aware that prolonged distancing, even if intermittent, is likely to have profoundly negative economic, social, and educational consequences. Our goal in modeling such policies is not to endorse them but to identify likely trajectories of the epidemic under alternative approaches, identify complementary interventions such as expanding ICU capacity and identifying treatments to reduce ICU demand, and to spur innovative ideas (55) to expand the list of options to bring the pandemic under long-term control."
The following 5 users Like Aractus's post:
  • SYZ, Phaedrus, Alan V, GenesisNemesis, Bcat

In other words, "Don't shoot the messenger."
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Alan V

At least in health care I have a steady job.
The following 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post:
  • Alan V

(04-15-2020, 11:43 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: At least in health care I have a steady job.

Just be sure to bag up. Thumbs Up
  • Phaedrus

"You may already have won!"
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

@Aractus Just to yank your chain.

http://atheistdiscussion.org/forums/show...#pid204350

Thumbs Up
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Aractus

I realize that I have gotten to despise people so much that I think I could live with it!

As long as the dogs don't get sick.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

I can't think of any place other than a grocery store or a book store that I even want to go to.

(04-15-2020, 11:07 AM)Aractus Wrote: In the US according to a new paper released in the last 24 hours by Harvard researchers.

"Under current critical care capacities, however, the overall duration of the SARS-CoV-2 epidemic could last into 2022, requiring social distancing measures to be in place between 25% (for wintertime R0 = 2 and seasonality; fig. S11A) and 75% (for wintertime R0 = 2.6 and no seasonality; fig. S9C) of that time."

"The authors are aware that prolonged distancing, even if intermittent, is likely to have profoundly negative economic, social, and educational consequences. Our goal in modeling such policies is not to endorse them but to identify likely trajectories of the epidemic under alternative approaches, identify complementary interventions such as expanding ICU capacity and identifying treatments to reduce ICU demand, and to spur innovative ideas (55) to expand the list of options to bring the pandemic under long-term control."

Depends entirely on testing and testing reliability. 
Somewhat like "This facility bans guns on these premises', institutions may require some sort of current testing result. 
Right now, Trump and the idiot incompetents in Washington have no clue how to even begin to manage that.  
They are the blind leading the blind. History will not be kind to any of them.
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • Dancefortwo

They should be seared in the present tense, IMO.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

(04-15-2020, 07:39 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: Depends entirely on testing and testing reliability. 
Somewhat like "This facility bans guns on these premises', institutions may require some sort of current testing result. 
Right now, Trump and the idiot incompetents in Washington have no clue how to even begin to manage that.  
They are the blind leading the blind. History will not be kind to any of them.

It also depends on compliance and/or enforcement.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

I'd be happy if the morons who always line up behind me would start social distancing. My neck hasn't been breathed on so much since high school.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • brewerb

Okay my latest bitch occurred yesterday while waiting for my wife to come out of the nearby Target where she was picking up drugs. We'd walked there with the younger dog. While I was waiting a good 10, 12 feet from those lined up to go in a homeless guy started asking around for a light. Unless I'm camping, I don't have one. He finally got an offer of a light from the guy parked closest to where I was sitting. So after he walks right by me and then turns around and asked if that dog is friendly. I told him no, he isn't. The guy acted like I had insulted him, staring at the dog and going on about what he'd do if he tried to bite him. So he and my dog have issues but my dog is just minding his own business. But with a strange man staring at him and talking angry he starts to get agitated. It would be nice if the one capable of language would just leave him to fuck alone. We moved away.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 5 users Like Mark's post:
  • Alan V, Fireball, Aroura, Thumpalumpacus, Paleophyte

Guess I’ll have to invest in a real home studio.  Which sucks, because ilike making music with people in person.  

My industry—live performance—isn’t going to be back anytime soon.   Sad
god, ugh
The following 6 users Like julep's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Dancefortwo, Thumpalumpacus, Szuchow, Paleophyte, Old Man Marsh

(04-15-2020, 10:10 PM)Mark Wrote: Okay my latest bitch occurred yesterday while waiting for my wife to come out of the nearby Target where she was picking up drugs.  We'd walked there with the younger dog.  While I was waiting a good 10, 12 feet from those lined up to go in a homeless guy started asking around for a light.  Unless I'm camping, I don't have one.  He finally got an offer of a light from the guy parked closest to where I was sitting.  So after he walks right by me and then turns around and asked if that dog is friendly.  I told him no, he isn't.  The guy acted like I had insulted him, staring at the dog and going on about what he'd do if he tried to bite him.  So he and my dog have issues but my dog is just minding his own business.  But with a strange man staring at him and talking angry he starts to get agitated.  It would be nice if the one capable of language would just leave him to fuck alone.  We moved away.
That kind of shit is probably why he's homeless.
  • Thumpalumpacus

(04-15-2020, 11:11 PM)julep Wrote: Guess I’ll have to invest in a real home studio.  Which sucks, because ilike making music with people in person.  

My industry—live performance—isn’t going to be back anytime soon.   Sad

Tell me about it.  I was scheduled to do costumes next fall.  Hubby was producing several plays.   Might as well hang up my drapery and costume business and make medical masks, doctor hoods and other PPE.    I just don't see that without a vaccine things will get back to normal.  

STUPID BATS!    I never did like those ugly flying rats.  Ick!  Girl_devil
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • julep, Fireball

(04-15-2020, 11:20 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 10:10 PM)Mark Wrote: Okay my latest bitch occurred yesterday while waiting for my wife to come out of the nearby Target where she was picking up drugs.  We'd walked there with the younger dog.  While I was waiting a good 10, 12 feet from those lined up to go in a homeless guy started asking around for a light.  Unless I'm camping, I don't have one.  He finally got an offer of a light from the guy parked closest to where I was sitting.  So after he walks right by me and then turns around and asked if that dog is friendly.  I told him no, he isn't.  The guy acted like I had insulted him, staring at the dog and going on about what he'd do if he tried to bite him.  So he and my dog have issues but my dog is just minding his own business.  But with a strange man staring at him and talking angry he starts to get agitated.  It would be nice if the one capable of language would just leave him to fuck alone.  We moved away.

Yep.  I've been taking it on the chops a lot during this pandemic mess.  The last time I was at Safeway the cashier lost his stuff because I started putting stuff on ledge on my side of where the conveyor belt comes up.  He started saying no, no, read the sign.  The sign said don't put merchandise on the belt until directed to do so.  Okay so also don't put it ahead of the belt.  Fine.  Afterwords he kept saying thanks for understanding.  My rule is if someone is less able to protect themselves than I am, I'm going to let them be crankier.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 2 users Like Mark's post:
  • Fireball, Bcat

(04-16-2020, 02:07 AM)Mark Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 11:20 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:

Yep.  I've been taking it on the chops a lot during this pandemic mess.  The last time I was at Safeway the cashier lost his stuff because I started putting stuff on ledge on my side of where the conveyor belt comes up.  He started saying no, no, read the sign.  The sign said don't put merchandise on the belt until directed to do so.  Okay so also don't put it ahead of the belt.  Fine.  Afterwords he kept saying thanks for understanding.  My rule is if someone is less able to protect themselves than I am, I'm going to let them be crankier.

I got the same treatment a couple of weeks ago at Target, when the cashier told me to wait until he had cleaned the belt. It is what it is. I didn't see a sign anywhere, though. I didn't bitch the guy out about it; we all need to be patient, understanding and resilient in this day and age. Your patience and resilience are a testament to your years as an educator. Good on ya!
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • Mark

Living in the country for the last seven years, social distancing is purt' much how I do it anyway. I mind the tape on the floors at the supermarkets -- and how hard is that?

I couldn't imagine living in a city in times like these. That shit grew old, for me, long before this pandemic. When I go to the store and someone gets up on me, I just back away ... like I have for a long time now.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Bcat

(04-16-2020, 02:49 AM)Fireball Wrote:
(04-16-2020, 02:07 AM)Mark Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 11:20 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: That kind of shit is probably why he's homeless.

I got the same treatment a couple of weeks ago at Target, when the cashier told me to wait until he had cleaned the belt. It is what it is. I didn't see a sign anywhere, though. I didn't bitch the guy out about it; we all need to be patient, understanding and resilient in this day and age. Your patience and resilience are a testament to your years as an educator. Good on ya!

In the words of a great Texan:  Back at ya', bud.
F. D.