Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COVID-19 Conspiracy Theories

Well, it's "official". The Army is burning bodies outside of town.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

(04-12-2020, 03:54 PM)skyking Wrote: That's the kind of post that got cavebear ignored earlier, I changed my mind but I see the quality remains the same.

There's enough shit on the Webz that I don't need to read his crap as well. I'll probably not put him on ignore, but simply just scroll past his posts without reading or engaging.
On hiatus.

(04-12-2020, 04:03 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Well, it's "official". The Army is burning bodies outside of town.

Are they from Earth?
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

(04-12-2020, 04:26 PM)Dānu Wrote:
(04-12-2020, 04:03 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Well, it's "official". The Army is burning bodies outside of town.

Are they from Earth?

They're actually, and unwittingly, repeating a line from The Stand. People are asking if the Army is going to be called in to enforce quarantines. Other people say "that isn't allowed." They don't recall the lines of Marine armored vehicles coming up I-5 during the Rodney King riots, the MLK riots, etc.

(04-12-2020, 01:53 PM)Szuchow Wrote:
(04-12-2020, 01:40 PM)Hussein Wrote: ...the fact that it will suddenly vanish as quickly as it arrived,..."
it shows no sign of vanishing suddenly and last part is just plain guessing.

Let's hope that part is a good guess   Tongue
The following 3 users Like Hussein's post:
  • skyking, Alan V, Deesse23

(04-12-2020, 01:40 PM)Hussein Wrote: I guess it's the most accurate prediction:

Quote:(CNN)In the summer of 2008, an elderly psychic who claimed she started receiving premonitions at age 5 published a book that contained an ominous prediction.

"In around 2020, a severe pneumonia-like illness will spread throughout the globe, attacking the lungs and the bronchial tubes and resisting all known treatments," it said. "Almost more baffling than the illness itself will be the fact that it will suddenly vanish as quickly as it arrived, attack again ten years later, and then disappear completely."

I found the book and checked it, there are many false prophecies, still the accuracy of this one is interesting.

This isn't even a cold reading. Given the frequency that viruses pop up and try to gnaw on our species it was a pretty safe bet. The sudden vanishing act isn't too likely though, so I'm betting on it being a failure as a whole.

Here are my prophecies for 2020:
 - A powerful hurricane will strike the southeastern US.
 - There will be violence in the Middle-East.
 - A volcano will erupt in Indonesia.

You can all worship me as the next Profit when these come to pass.
The following 2 users Like Paleophyte's post:
  • Fireball, Szuchow

(04-12-2020, 07:18 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:
(04-12-2020, 01:40 PM)Hussein Wrote: I guess it's the most accurate prediction:

Quote:(CNN)In the summer of 2008, an elderly psychic who claimed she started receiving premonitions at age 5 published a book that contained an ominous prediction.

"In around 2020, a severe pneumonia-like illness will spread throughout the globe, attacking the lungs and the bronchial tubes and resisting all known treatments," it said. "Almost more baffling than the illness itself will be the fact that it will suddenly vanish as quickly as it arrived, attack again ten years later, and then disappear completely."

I found the book and checked it, there are many false prophecies, still the accuracy of this one is interesting.

This isn't even a cold reading. Given the frequency that viruses pop up and try to gnaw on our species it was a pretty safe bet. The sudden vanishing act isn't too likely though, so I'm betting on it being a failure as a whole.

Here are my prophecies for 2020:
 - A powerful hurricane will strike the southeastern US.
 - There will be violence in the Middle-East.
 - A volcano will erupt in Indonesia.

You can all worship me as the next Profit when these come to pass.
Bowing
R.I.P. Hannes

Australian based anti-vaxxers are denying any COVID-19 pandemic, and urging others to ignore isolation advice.
Doctors are slamming anti-vaxxers’ advice not to self-isolate or follow social distancing measures as “dangerous
and possibly illegal” after one NSW anti-vaxxer claimed it was “impossible” to catch a virus. The anti-vaxxer,
Tom Barnett, who unsuccessfully ran for a seat in the 2019 Federal election has come out with a video downplaying
the risk of COVID-19 and encouraging Australians to ignore social distancing guidelines.

“You can’t catch a virus; it’s impossible,” Barnett a one-time candidate with the Involuntary Medication Objectors
Party said in a video posted to social media on March 30. “The only way that you can catch a virus is by having it
injected into your bloodstream.”  Barnett recommended people stop social distancing and washing their hands.
“Pull your finger out, get outside and do normal things,” he said in the video.  The footage exploded online and was
viewed more than 186,000 times on YouTube.

In the video, Barnett tried to back up his assertions by boasting of his intelligence. “When I did my last IQ and
aptitude tests, I was taken into a separate room and I was interrogated to see if I cheated,” he said.

[Image: cd1c0747fe216e7e5bec08b1bc8d22f7?width=650]
Tom Barnett has come out with a video downplaying the risk of the coronavirus
and encouraging Australians to ignore social distancing guidelines

One place it found support was on a Facebook page linked to the far-right neo-Nazi group Reclaim Australia, where
followers claimed the virus is a conspiracy orchestrated by governments to force people to get flu shots. Zero evidence
is offered to back up this claim.

Angry
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 3 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Alan V, GenesisNemesis, skyking

Anti-vaxxers are creaming their jeans over this. Screaming "proof" at the top of their lungs while not actually presenting any. In other words, just another Monday.

(04-13-2020, 08:50 AM)SYZ Wrote: “You can’t catch a virus; it’s impossible,”

Someone should encourage him to put his money where his mouth is and allow himself to be exposed to COVID-19.
No gods necessary
The following 3 users Like brunumb's post:
  • Alan V, Fireball, Thumpalumpacus

(04-13-2020, 11:43 AM)brunumb Wrote:
(04-13-2020, 08:50 AM)SYZ Wrote: “You can’t catch a virus; it’s impossible,”

Someone should encourage him to put his money where his mouth is and allow himself to be exposed to COVID-19.

Why not Ebola?  Consider

Or polio, or HIV, or herpes, ...
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

(04-13-2020, 08:50 AM)SYZ Wrote: Australian based anti-vaxxers are denying any COVID-19 pandemic, and urging others to ignore isolation advice.
Doctors are slamming anti-vaxxers’ advice not to self-isolate or follow social distancing measures as “dangerous
and possibly illegal” after one NSW anti-vaxxer claimed it was “impossible” to catch a virus. The anti-vaxxer,
Tom Barnett, who unsuccessfully ran for a seat in the 2019 Federal election has come out with a video downplaying
the risk of COVID-19 and encouraging Australians to ignore social distancing guidelines.

“You can’t catch a virus; it’s impossible,” Barnett a one-time candidate with the Involuntary Medication Objectors
Party said in a video posted to social media on March 30. “The only way that you can catch a virus is by having it
injected into your bloodstream.”  Barnett recommended people stop social distancing and washing their hands.
“Pull your finger out, get outside and do normal things,” he said in the video.  The footage exploded online and was
viewed more than 186,000 times on YouTube.

In the video, Barnett tried to back up his assertions by boasting of his intelligence. “When I did my last IQ and
aptitude tests, I was taken into a separate room and I was interrogated to see if I cheated,” he said.

[Image: cd1c0747fe216e7e5bec08b1bc8d22f7?width=650]
Tom Barnett has come out with a video downplaying the risk of the coronavirus
and encouraging Australians to ignore social distancing guidelines

One place it found support was on a Facebook page linked to the far-right neo-Nazi group Reclaim Australia, where
followers claimed the virus is a conspiracy orchestrated by governments to force people to get flu shots. Zero evidence
is offered to back up this claim.

Angry

Snake oil for sale! Come and get your snake oil!

There's gotta be some money in it for him somewhere.
Welcome to the Atheist Forums on AtheistDiscussion.org

From the Guardian:

Quote:Pew surveyed 8,914 American adults, asking them whether they believed that 1) the current strain of the coronavirus “came about naturally”; 2) “was developed intentionally in a lab”; 3) “was made accidentally in a lab”; or 4) “doesn’t really exist”.

Most Americans surveyed in the report (43%) believed that Covid-19 most likely came about naturally, but nearly three in 10 (29%) said it most likely was created in a lab. What’s more, most of those who believed the virus was created in a lab believed it was done so intentionally (23%). A quarter said they weren’t sure where the virus originated, while 1% believed that the virus does not exist.

Apparently 3.3 million Americans simply don't believe this virus exists at all.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • SYZ, GenesisNemesis

Mary got a conspiracy craziness in her FB feed about the virus, and military maneuvers in Wuhan, and Bill and Melinda Gates being tried for crimes against humanity for conspiring to reduce world population by spreading vaccines that sterilized people in Africa. I have no interest in searching out such batshit craziness. I don't want to expose myself further Smile
She FB messaged our friend " if you really believe this shit don't put it in MY FB!" He replied "fair enough"

How is it that people can seem normal and intelligent and still fall for that shizzle?
The following 4 users Like skyking's post:
  • Fireball, GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus, Alan V

I was walking the dog this morning and got into a conversation with a neighbor who went off on a rant about California governor Newsom, and how the economy is getting trashed. Of course, he's drinking the chump's kool aid. He loves that jackass.  Huh
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 3 users Like Fireball's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, skyking, Tres Leches

(04-17-2020, 03:14 AM)skyking Wrote: Mary got a conspiracy craziness in her FB feed about the virus, and military maneuvers in Wuhan, and Bill and Melinda Gates being tried for crimes against humanity for conspiring to reduce world population by spreading vaccines that sterilized people in Africa. I have no interest in searching out such batshit craziness. I don't want to expose myself further Smile
She FB messaged our friend " if you really believe this shit don't put it in MY FB!" He replied "fair enough"

How is it that people can seem normal and intelligent and still fall for that shizzle?

Personally it requires too much suspension of disbelief for me to consider these people "intelligent".
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

Seriously, he seems almost.......normal. At least he did!
The following 1 user Likes skyking's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

I dunno whether or not it's rampant in the US, but downunder there's a common theory that
the virus is being spread by "radiation" from the new 5G phone towers.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

(04-17-2020, 04:41 AM)skyking Wrote: Seriously, he seems almost.......normal.  At least he did!

Probably just went with the mob on that one. (AKA drinking the Kool Aid brand drink mix.)
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • skyking

(04-17-2020, 08:30 AM)SYZ Wrote: I dunno whether or not it's rampant in the US, but downunder there's a common theory that
the virus is being spread by "radiation" from the new 5G phone towers.

That shit was running around before the virus appeared, however. They just "know" what it's "causing" now. Facepalm
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • skyking

(04-17-2020, 03:14 AM)skyking Wrote: How is it that people can seem normal and intelligent and still fall for that shizzle?

I think that's an interesting and important question, no matter how seriously you meant it. Unfortunately we still don't know.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • skyking, Alan V

"It's in the chemtrails, moron!"

(04-17-2020, 01:36 PM)Dānu Wrote:
(04-17-2020, 03:14 AM)skyking Wrote: How is it that people can seem normal and intelligent and still fall for that shizzle?

I think that's an interesting and important question, no matter how seriously you meant it.  Unfortunately we still don't know.

I would guess the answer is because such people's intelligence is specialized for certain areas of application.  They are compartmentalized, so when faced with unusual situations they are at sea.  The unknown really is a danger for them.

(04-17-2020, 01:36 PM)Dānu Wrote:

I think that's an interesting and important question, no matter how seriously you meant it.  Unfortunately we still don't know.

completely serious yes. It is just baffling that they gravitate to some "reverse Occam's Razor" that somehow sews up all the little pieces and avoids common sense like the plague, pardon that pun.

They don't think about things that make their brain hurt.