Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recipes for the Pandemic!

It's weird. Aldi's, the discount grocer, was picked bare of vegetables, fruit, and bread. A few blocks away, Target's pasta aisle was picked bare. But just a half a block away, Cub Foods had plenty of both.
[Image: sea-stones-whimsy-7-sm.jpg]

Pandemic "Rice N Cheese"

300g long grain rice
300mls milk
75-100g cheddar cheese.
1 tablespoon of cornstarch 
1 teaspoon of mustard
Sliced tomatoes (optional) 

This is a variation of British mac n cheese using rice instead of pasta seeing as it's in short supply.

Boil the rice
Add the cooked rice to an oven proof dish. 
Make a sauce using the cheese milk mustard and cornstarch and add to the rice mixing well, cover with tomato slices if using and add plenty of extra cheese to the top, place in a preheated oven for 15 minutes at 170 deg C and then grill at 210 deg C for ten more minutes.

Serves two hungry people or three with moderate portions.
Justaminute   The whole point of having cake is to eat it! 
The following 2 users Like adey67's post:
  • Dānu, Aroura

Woohoo! I finally found yeast at a reasonable price. Dance 1 lb. bag from an Amazon partner store for $20.00. It should arrive in a couple days. Equivalent to 4, 4 oz. jars that retail for $6.29 each.

The same store was, however, selling two packs of Wonderbread, fucking wonderbread fer cryin' out loud, for $20.00 and single packs of bagels (6 count) for $15.00. Dodgy I may purchase yeast from them again before this is all over, because I can't get it anywhere else, but I'll be damned if I'll continue to once this is all over. Price-gouging, profiteering assholes!

I'm sill doing a sourbread starter, though. Sourbread is just too awesome to do without!

@Aroura: Have you tried either of the cornbread recipes yet?
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Aroura

(03-28-2020, 12:04 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: ...At this rate, I might soon be reduced to hunting and eating the neighborhood squirrels...

We have squirrels, rabbits, and raccoons living in the neighborhoods here and all of them are good eating.

May be sitting down to some Bugs Bunny stew in the not too distant future. Big Grin

Just let the steam off this
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017...ecipe.html

(03-30-2020, 07:58 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: Woohoo! I finally found yeast at a reasonable price. Dance 1 lb. bag from an Amazon partner store for $20.00. It should arrive in a couple days. Equivalent to 4, 4 oz. jars that retail for $6.29 each.

The same store was, however, selling two packs of Wonderbread, fucking wonderbread fer cryin' out loud, for $20.00 and single packs of bagels (6 count) for $15.00. Dodgy I may purchase yeast from them again before this is all over, because I can't get it anywhere else, but I'll be damned if I'll continue to once this is all over. Price-gouging, profiteering assholes!

I'm sill doing a sourbread starter, though. Sourbread is just too awesome to do without!

@Aroura: Have you tried either of the cornbread recipes yet?
I have it on my menu for Thursday night. I have a habit of planning meals one week at a time. 
I happen to have a half pint of buttermilk I need to use, so I'll be doing that one first. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Let me know how the sourdough starter works out! I should try that as well.  Practical, plus a learning experiment with my daughter.  How do you do it?

Since bread is still such an issue, here is a bread recipe I just tried for white sandwich bread that uses all purpose flour.
It turned out fantastic!

I'm going to try a wheat version next, but I don't have much whole wheat flour, so it'll have to be blended, not 100%.

3 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 teaspoons yeast.
1/4 cup sugar or honey
11 oz very warm water
1/8 cup neutral-flavored oil (like grapeseed, canola, vegetable, avocado)
Butter for top of loaves, optional

Mix ingredients, and then knead by hand about 4-5 minutes.
Oil clean bowl lightly and let dough rise, covered if course, until double in size.
Oil or butter a loaf pan.

Punch down dough and shape gently to fit loaf pan. Cover again and let Rider in a warm spot for another hour or so until it just crests they pan about an inch

Preheat oven to 350f. Bake for 30 to 32 minutes.
Butter top while still hot to keep the crust sandwich soft.

This was so good, my family are most of the loaf in 24 hours. They're going to have to slow down on the next one!

Edited to add, here is what is left after my family demolished it.  It's got a great texture and flavor, 100x better than store bought bread! 
[Image: c_eF8LwFQyNnMqPjClvGk3LYb02aW32477yAcS9-...46-h937-no]

I'll ask my personal chef, I usually don't concern myself with such trivialities

Corona meatballs and pasta in bolognese sauce. 

My meaty beef and pork balls are delicious and can also be reshaped into a serviceable meatloaf Angel

400g ground beef
350g sausage meat
1 clove garlic grated
1/2 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
2 teaspoons of mixed herbs
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of onion powder
One egg

Mix all the ingredients well, roll into meatballs of a size that you prefer, fry till brown and caramelised, add sauce, cook for 15 minutes (longer if your balls are big) serve with pasta of your choice.

Well, for people stuck without yeast, I've been trying to make my own sourdough starter with wild yeast.  It takes a minimum of 5 days, and 2 days in, it's pretty bubbly and active, so going well.
The problem I see with this method is that it takes a LOT of flour that is later discarded, in most recipes for starter.  It looks like it takes about 2 cups of flour just to get the starter going, minimum, and roughly half is discarded.  
For the most part, the recipes are roughly as follows.

100g or 1/2 cup of water
100g or 3/4c plus 2tbsp of all purpose UNBLEACHED flour.  Any flour works as long as it is unbleached.
Mix together thoroughly and let sit in a loosely covered glass container for 24 hours.

After 24 hours, discard half the mixture and then add:
50g or 1/4 cup of water
50g or 1/3c purpose UNBLEACHED flour. 

Repeat on days 3, 4 and on the 5th day, you can start using the starter to bake with. 

If you're using the starter within the next few days, leave it out on the counter and continue discarding half and "feeding" it daily. If it will be longer before you use your starter, cover it tightly and place it in the fridge. Remember to take it out and feed it at least once a week — it is also best to let the starter sit out overnight to give the yeast time to recuperate before putting it back in the fridge.

If you intend to use the starter less frequently, it can be smoothed out on a clean baking tray with a silpat or parchment paper lining and let dry.  Once dry, you can crumble it up into flakes and store in a sealed glass container in the fridge for a long time.

I got this from a baking website: (Here is the website I'm following)
How to Take a Long Break from Your Starter
If you're taking a break from baking, but want to keep your starter, you can do two things:
1) Make a Thick Starter: Feed your starter double the amount of flour to make a thicker dough-like starter. This thicker batter will maintain the yeast better over long periods of inactivity in the fridge.
2) Dry the Starter: Smear your starter on a Silpat and let it dry. Once completely dry, break it into flakes and store it in an airtight container. Dried sourdough can be stored for months. To re-start it, dissolve 1/4 cup of the flakes in 4 ounces of water, and stir in 4 ounces of flour. Continue feeding the starter until it is active again.

This seems like a lot of work and materials, and I'm not even sure how home baked sourdough will work out if you don't have the right sort of equipment and pans.  I'll keep you guys updated on how this is going.   Currently, I'm on day 3 and the starter looks good, it's very active and bubbly.  It smells, well, a little sour.  I'm trying to make it a fun experiment with my 12 year old, but as a tween, as well.

(04-02-2020, 04:52 PM)adey67 Wrote: Corona meatballs and pasta in bolognese sauce. 

My meaty beef and pork balls are delicious and can also be reshaped into a serviceable meatloaf Angel

400g ground beef
350g sausage meat
1 clove garlic grated
1 teaspoon of salt
One egg

Mix all the ingredients well, roll into meatballs of a size that you prefer, fry till brown and caramelised, add sauce, cook for 15 minutes (longer if your balls are big) serve with pasta of your choice.

Needs more garlic. Deadpan Coffee Drinker

(04-03-2020, 01:16 AM)Dānu Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 04:52 PM)adey67 Wrote: Corona meatballs and pasta in bolognese sauce. 

400g ground beef
350g sausage meat
1 clove garlic grated
1 teaspoon of salt
One egg

Needs more garlic. Deadpan Coffee Drinker

In my experience too much garlic in this particular dish for some reason imparts a rather unpleasant metallic taste to the meatballs maybe its how the dish is made or cooked but sure, you can add as much garlic as you want but I personally wouldn't recommend it otherwise it completely swamps the other flavours.

What We Cook in the Shadows...
  [Image: attachment.php?aid=31] Dog  

(03-30-2020, 07:58 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: @Aroura: Have you tried either of the cornbread recipes yet?

Finally had a chance to try the cornbread, sooo good!  I made the molasses version (served with a nice beans/rice/tomato dish), and both my daughter and husband had seconds.  I had a jar of molasses from holiday cooking, and this was a very good use of it!  It makes a really rich, brown, sweet cornbread.  I did reduce the sugar by half, since it has so much molasses in addition, and that was the perfect sweetness for us.

I'll try the buttermilk next time, though, just to taste the difference.  Thanks again for sharing!

[Image: 1uwqbr2tgu3v0wNx612HPBtNqXqPMFAuzGGuxZw3...44-h937-no]

Just fried rice, veggie mix of your choice (fresh or frozen), and hot sauce or sriracha. And could throw some meat in there if you prefer, of course.
God is confined only to those parts of the universe we do not know about, and that keeps shrinking. 

Has anyone else noticed that most of the recipes in here are some version of bread, rice and/or beans? I guess that's pandemic/ lockdown/ shelter in place food.

Six months ago, if you had told me I'd get excited over 10 pounds of flour and a half-gallon of milk, I'd have laughed at you. Yesterday, I was proven wrong. I finally found flour for less than $2.00/lb to be delivered. Got five pounds of white and five pounds of wheat. Dance

Now I can finally start my sourdough starter!
The following 2 users Like TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, Aroura

We're not usually out of milk around here, but you can tell Wal-Mart isn't the favorite of the local dairies.
  [Image: attachment.php?aid=31] Dog  
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Aroura

(04-06-2020, 07:08 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: Six months ago, if you had told me I'd get excited over 10 pounds of flour and a half-gallon of milk, I'd have laughed at you. Yesterday, I was proven wrong. I finally found flour for less than $2.00/lb to be delivered. Got five pounds of white and five pounds of wheat. Dance

So my sourdough started went well, but getting one going seemed so wasteful (and a lot of work).  I made an effort not to discard any, instead making a sourdough Chinese pancake every time I fed it. Once I had it going for 6 days, I used it to make sourdough pizza, and then dried the rest, crumbled it, and put it in the fridge. I can restart it easier next time, but don't have to keep it going.  I doubt I'll bake sourdough specifically more than occasionally.

I'm happy for you that you got some flour, though!  There are so many yummy things to bake at home!
The following 1 user Likes Aroura's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard

(04-11-2020, 12:50 AM)Aroura Wrote:
(04-06-2020, 07:08 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: Six months ago, if you had told me I'd get excited over 10 pounds of flour and a half-gallon of milk, I'd have laughed at you. Yesterday, I was proven wrong. I finally found flour for less than $2.00/lb to be delivered. Got five pounds of white and five pounds of wheat. Dance

So my sourdough started went well, but getting one going seemed so wasteful (and a lot of work).  I made an effort not to discard any, instead making a sourdough Chinese pancake every time I fed it. Once I had it going for 6 days, I used it to make sourdough pizza, and then dried the rest, crumbled it, and put it in the fridge. I can restart it easier next time, but don't have to keep it going.  I doubt I'll bake sourdough specifically more than occasionally.

I'm happy for you that you got some flour, though!  There are so many yummy things to bake at home!

I finally got my starter going on Wednesday. Fed it yesterday and it was barely starting to bubble. Fed it today and holy crap! Double sized bubbly mass going crazy. Smile I had move it to a bigger container. Seems we have good wild yeast 'round these parts. Big Grin

Sourdough pie crust? Mmmmm. That sounds yummy. I may have to give it a try. I think I'm going to make sourdough weekly. Now that I've got the starter going, it'll be far cheaper than buying bread and it can be frozen and the starter deactivated if we aren't getting through it all. I may make some Cuban bread tomorrow since the starter won't be ready for a couple days.
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Aroura

Lockdown fishcakes. 

700g potatoes 
3 cans of tuna 
1 can salmon
1 level teaspoon of dried mixed herbs
A generous knob of butter
One egg beaten
Salt and pepper to season. 
Flour to coat
Panko bread crumbs*

*optional

Peel the potatoes boil and then mash, add butter, tuna, salmon and herbs, season with salt and pepper, fold through gently but thoroughly (as you would if adding whisked egg white to a soufflé) 

Once the mixture is cool form into patties coat with egg roll in flour (roll in egg again then in bread crumbs if using) 
Shallow fry* until golden brown then serve immediately. 

* use a cast iron frying pan (skillet) for best results.

I like tiramisu, but don't drink coffee, so I never have that on hand. I also don't have eggs on hand, as I buy egg whites, so I'm not sure this would fly. I just got curious about Vatican food culture, so I found this:
https://ethnicfoodsrus.com/around-the-wo...ta-recipe/
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”
-Carl Sagan

"The best counter to extremist speech is not censorship. The best counter is more speech." -Thumpalumpacus
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • Aroura

(06-17-2020, 04:25 AM)c172 Wrote: I like tiramisu, but don't drink coffee, so I never have that on hand. I also don't have eggs on hand, as I buy egg whites, so I'm not sure this would fly. I just got curious about Vatican food culture, so I found this:
https://ethnicfoodsrus.com/around-the-wo...ta-recipe/

I've seen recipes and rubs for ribs that include coffee. "It's not just for breakfast anymore!"

Coffee makes perfect sense sprinkled on a dessert. I just happen not to consume coffee, so I'd do without. And this recipe does without as well. It's intriguing, Catholic church connections notwithstanding.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”
-Carl Sagan

"The best counter to extremist speech is not censorship. The best counter is more speech." -Thumpalumpacus
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • Aroura