Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Poll: How profoundly is the outbreak affecting your life?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
12.50%
5 12.50%
25.00%
10 25.00%
32.50%
13 32.50%
20.00%
8 20.00%
10.00%
4 10.00%
Total 40 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How has the coronaviris outbreak affected your life?

(03-16-2020, 05:43 PM)brewerb Wrote: 20 minute wait at CVS for an Rx this AM, other than everyone standing 3 feet apart I saw no effort to contain possible transmission by the staff or patrons. Everyone (~5) touched the same counter, card machine and pen with no cleaning.

The pharmacy clerk said she was immune and didn't need to. Panic Aggravated

Clearly a phrase she's cynically learned to shut people up. Sheesh.

This may be the death knell for movie theaters:

Quote:ABC News

The coronavirus pandemic has cracked Hollywood's traditional theatrical window. With theaters increasingly shuttering nationwide, Universal Pictures on Monday said it will make its current and upcoming films available for on-demand rental, becoming the first major studio to turn directly to home viewing in light of the virus.
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • adey67

(03-16-2020, 09:11 PM)Dānu Wrote: Great.  An employee at the co-op three blocks away tested positive.  I was just there two weeks ago.

You might be ok now, though, as far as catching it from the store employee. The average incubation period is about 5 days.

https://www.contagionlive.com/news/coron...-estimates

I believe the virus has been robustly circulating in my area for awhile. The first known death in my state was at a hospital 2 blocks from my work a few weeks ago. 

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 1 user Likes Tres Leches's post:
  • Aroura

(03-16-2020, 04:46 PM)julep Wrote: Well, let's see:  

My personal March went during the second week from being fully booked with three musicals, church jobs every Sunday, a couple of paid rehearsals, and students, to two paid lessons this week and two paid church services for the rest of the month (church is going to be broadcasting remotely so I will be one of about six people in the facility).   And I'm not completely convinced that the church isn't going to change its mind and say too bad, you're off until September.  Therefore, my personal income is down around 95%.  

My son, who is supposed to perform his senior college recital in a bit more than a month and was going to be doing his first concerto performance with an orchestra in May, is on an extended spring break here at home and will be doing college classes remotely until the University allows him back.  The status of all of his classes and his performance and his graduation are all up in the air.

My husband's company has ordered everyone to work at home for at least the next two weeks.  His paycheck is steady for the moment.  

I voted a 4, but 5 is probably more appropriate.  No information in my industry about when or whether people are going to start risking getting together to see music.  And private music lessons are the first thing people cut when money is tight.  It's probably going to be one of my worst years ever because the competition is always pretty vicious but it will be even worse soon and the economy is going to be in full blown recession soon.  

Either way, I'm not getting paid until I start working again, and all of those shows that promised to reschedule will get in the way of other work and probably each other, so this money is just absolutely gone from our family budget for the year.  

Fortunately, my husband's legal thing against the person who hit him with her car and broke his neck last year has just gotten to the final stages, and so we will be getting some money from that settlement that will offset these losses.  But instead of really building back up the savings account after paying for my kid's college, more of it will be used for daily expenses.  

There are plenty of people who have it worse than me; all restaurants are now closed for three weeks (except for pickup and delivery), so hourly workers whose paychecks depend on tips and people using the facilities are fucked.  People who have hourly jobs outside the house with school age kids are also fucked, since school is closed for three weeks.

However, again, long term effects on my business are why I still rank it a 4-5.

Giggers are getting hit in this, yep.

(03-16-2020, 03:58 PM)mordant Wrote:
(03-16-2020, 01:49 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(03-16-2020, 12:34 PM)Mathilda Wrote: Life's become a lot more interesting.
The Chinese have a curse, "May you lead an interesting life."  Consider

I think it's "may you live in interesting times".

Anyway you slice it.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

(03-16-2020, 09:17 PM)Alan V Wrote: This may be the death knell for movie theaters:

Quote:ABC News

The coronavirus pandemic has cracked Hollywood's traditional theatrical window. With theaters increasingly shuttering nationwide, Universal Pictures on Monday said it will make its current and upcoming films available for on-demand rental, becoming the first major studio to turn directly to home viewing in light of the virus.

I hope not.  I love going out to see a movie.  I love watching and sharing a movie with complete strangers.  Movies are a nice social channel that connects us while we all watch the same story unfold.  It's an experience that simply doesn't happen inside our homes and I'd sure hate for this to go away.  I love movie theatres.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Alan V

(03-16-2020, 03:01 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: The stores are getting cleared out, but they say they're still expecting regular shipments according to my mother, so nothing too worrying yet. However it has somewhat made my mental health worse, along with all of the other things I have been dealing with in life.

Y'know, this past weekend I heard rumors about stores being "cleared out".

But Saturday and Sunday I stopped in three Albertson's, and three Safeways, and three more local markets, and
in every one of them it looked pretty much like business as usual, with fully stocked shelves, except for a 
handful of very specific items:

* toilet paper
* hand sanitizer
* rubbing alcohol
* dry spaghetti
* canned chicken noodle soup

Bleach and paper towels were depleted in some places, but by no means cleared out.
In a couple of stores canned beans and canned chili were low, but also not cleaned out.

Produce sections and meat departments looked pretty much like the do on any weekend.

The bizarre things were the soup and the chili:  there were plenty of cans of pretty
much every kind of canned soup -- cases of it, even -- EXCEPT for chicken noodle.  
Same with the chili.  There are maybe 6 or 7 flavors of Hormel chili sold here, and
there was plenty left of every one EXCEPT the "original flavor", which had been
cleaned out.  All the weirder as, having tried all of them, they all taste pretty much
exactly the same.

It's been a oddly selective sort of panic-buying, at least around here.
" I have nothing to say and I am saying it and that is poetry. "
                                                                                 -- John Cage
The following 4 users Like Dr H's post:
  • Alan V, GenesisNemesis, Aroura, Thumpalumpacus

(03-16-2020, 05:39 AM)Tres Leches Wrote: 5.

My daughter's school is closed for a month and I believe it might be closed for longer, depending on how things shake out. The school district said they won't give online assignments while school is closed. So she's going to lose a least a month of education.
My work may send us all home to work remotely but that is another uncertainty and they have given little to no guidance or info on this.
I like to go to a lot of community events and festivals and all are cancelled now. We are basically shut-ins and I'm worried about getting depressed with little human contact.
What do I when I do go out in public? I wish I had masks but of course there are none to be had.
I've been so jittery the last week that I've lost weight and can't sleep at night.
What happens when the economy tanks? Blue collar workers in my city are already losing their jobs; the governor ordered all bars, clubs to close and restaurants to reduce their capacity. 3 of my brothers, including 2 in Miami, have jobs that depend on the tourist industry. What will happen to them?
My daughter has been asking me what's going to happen and I'm not even certain what to tell her.
Toilet paper is on the bottom of my list of things to think about now.

-Teresa

If you forget about all the woohoo Tibetan singing bowl claims (chakra's and all that nonsense) and just listen to it as a way of calming yourself down it might help a little.  It's very soothing.  

Or maybe this is more your style.  

If you get yourself too stressed out it's not mentally or physically healthy for you.  Blood pressure and all that stuff.
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Tres Leches, Fireball

I'm back home after my class got cancelled indefinitely. I put down a 3 earlier on the pole, and that is a good fit.
We did get in a day of class before the International Apprenticeship Program called a halt to all training, we had 4 apprentices in class. There were a total of 10 of us, one to a table with at least 6' of separation.
I texted my former employer and he did not have any good words about future work either. They are contemplating shutting down for a vague period of time.
The following 1 user Likes skyking's post:
  • Tres Leches

LA Fitness gym has closed it's doors for the next two weeks so there goes my thrice weekly yoga classes. My ballet class was also canceled for possibly three weeks so my best bet is to go on long walks in the fresh air or clean up our garden which is always torn up by the winter rain and wind.  I'll do yoga at home and take an online ballet class.  Not gonna let this thing get me down, goddammit! 

Still on the hunt for that elusive animal, toilet-paper.  I saw a herd of it leaving Winco supermarket the other day.  I'm waiting for it to migrate back to it's spawning ground.  So far, nothing.   Waiting
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Tres Leches, Thumpalumpacus

(03-17-2020, 01:47 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: LA Fitness gym has closed it's doors for the next two weeks so there goes my thrice weekly yoga classes. My ballet class was also canceled for possibly three weeks so my best bet is to go on long walks in the fresh air or clean up our garden which is always torn up by the winter rain and wind.  I'll do yoga at home and take an online ballet class.  Not gonna let this thing get me down, goddammit! 

Still on the hunt for that elusive animal, toilet-paper.  I saw a herd of it leaving Winco supermarket the other day.  I'm waiting for it to migrate back to it's spawning ground.  So far, nothing.   Waiting
Try gas stations or convenience stores rather than supermarkets.  (That’s where we found some.)
god, ugh
The following 1 user Likes julep's post:
  • Dancefortwo

Sounds like @Tres Leches  and @Mark will be two folk's I know that are really going to be affected, 21 day shelter in place.

I don't know if any of our other Cali peeps are in the area.

https://missionlocal.org/2020/03/six-bay...m-tuesday/

Edit: Oops, sorry Tres (or not sorry), I see you're not in it.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Tres Leches

(03-17-2020, 02:39 AM)brewerb Wrote: Sounds like @Tres Leches  and @Mark will be two folk's I know that are really going to be affected, 21 day shelter in place.

It has been pretty weird.  You normally can't park on my street any day except Sunday because of the commercial building across the creek from me on the same side of the block.  It was a ghost town out there today.  But lots of people are out walking their dogs and when I say hello to folks I know we keep some distance.  

The local Target store a block from me is pretty full and I use a mask and wash and sanitize before and after going there.  The mexican market a few blocks away but also walkable open as usual and no huge lines though busier than normal.  Doesn't seem like we're in any danger of starving.  

I'm pretty annoyed that I just got a notice of one of my holds being available at the library Saturday.  But they close normally on Sundays and now they'll be closing for gawd only knows how long.  Guess I'd better buy a couple books on amazon before I get my knee surgery in April.   So far at least Kaiser isn't cancelling elective surgeries like mine.

Since I had a flu a couple weeks ago I've been sleeping in the guest room to avoid making Lia sick.  We almost ended that on Thursday but have decided to keep separate beds for a while longer at least.  She is old enough and ill enough that if we were in Italy she would be turned down for treatment.  So we'll be extra careful.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 2 users Like Mark's post:
  • brewerb, Thumpalumpacus

Week 2 of no sports. I noticed a woman sitting on the couch next to me. Says she's my wife. Seems nice enough.

Disclaimer: I don't watch sports, it's a joke.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 8 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Alan V, julep, brewerb, Mark, Dancefortwo, skyking, Thumpalumpacus, Unsapien

(03-16-2020, 05:43 PM)brewerb Wrote: 20 minute wait at CVS for an Rx this AM, other than everyone standing 3 feet apart I saw no effort to contain possible transmission by the staff or patrons. Everyone (~5) touched the same counter, card machine and pen with no cleaning...

The counter assistants at our chemist fill out the paperwork for the customers—with their
own pens—in an attempt to avoid touching a thousand strange pens a day.  After each
customer has made a purchase or whatever, they wipe down the counter with a sanitiser.
I know it's not a 100pc guarantee, but it's the best they can do I guess.  I also use a "wave
and pay" card with no contact required—as I do at the supermarket.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • brewerb

(03-17-2020, 03:20 AM)Mark Wrote:
(03-17-2020, 02:39 AM)brewerb Wrote: Sounds like @Tres Leches  and @Mark will be two folk's I know that are really going to be affected, 21 day shelter in place.

It has been pretty weird.  You normally can't park on my street any day except Sunday because of the commercial building across the creek from me on the same side of the block.  It was a ghost town out there today.  But lots of people are out walking their dogs and when I say hello to folks I know we keep some distance.  

The local Target store a block from me is pretty full and I use a mask and wash and sanitize before and after going there.  The mexican market a few blocks away but also walkable open as usual and no huge lines though busier than normal.  Doesn't seem like we're in any danger of starving.  

I'm pretty annoyed that I just got a notice of one of my holds being available at the library Saturday.  But they close normally on Sundays and now they'll be closing for gawd only knows how long.  Guess I'd better buy a couple books on amazon before I get my knee surgery in April.   So far at least Kaiser isn't cancelling elective surgeries like mine.

Since I had a flu a couple weeks ago I've been sleeping in the guest room to avoid making Lia sick.  We almost ended that on Thursday but have decided to keep separate beds for a while longer at least.  She is old enough and ill enough that if we were in Italy she would be turned down for treatment.  So we'll be extra careful.

Lets hope it's remains a go, but don't hold your breath.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Mark

Whelp, i'm working from home now.

While, as far as i know, nobody in my local area has covid19, all schools have now shut here locally which means I also have to be off work to look after little miss oaktree. The flip side is that I can work from home and it's fairly quiet work-wise for the same reason - customers are also having the same issue.

Oh well, everybody else I know is working from home as well so its not like I'm missing much.
The following 1 user Likes OakTree500's post:
  • brewerb

It's times like this that you need to keep your Pokerizer handy.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard

@Dom , I picked up a bag of dog food yesterday because Smile
The following 2 users Like skyking's post:
  • Dom, Alan V

Wandered around Wally World today, lol'ing at the oddly specific panic buying. Baby food, plenty on the shelves. Ramen, non-existent. Cold cuts and bacon, just fucking gone. Beer, wine, liquor? Hey, this is Missouri.

Hubby went on great hunt for TP last night.  Bagged two rolls.   Returned in triumph to exaulted celebrations among the natives.
                                                         T4618
The following 5 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • skyking, Alan V, brewerb, Aroura, Unsapien

We are at the cataract follow up, and figured that they are cancelling the other eye. My wife is a sharp one, and asked to do it today and played the whole " I am a buyer at a major hospital system" card.
It's a legit play, her work is in a panic for all sorts of reasons. I cancelled the tooth repair this morning and will get the x-rays and get it done elsewhere. Yes this is driving the bus a little bit Big Grin

Edit: Dentist is trying to do it right after cataract. The offices are 5 minutes apart. One benefit is she will be loopy from the eye surgery .
The following 2 users Like skyking's post:
  • brewerb, Aroura

I don't have kids, I already work from home, & my wife hasn't been sent home from work yet. So far, the only impacts I've experienced are restaurants going carry-out only & grocery store panics. I suspect things will get worse soon enough, but for now life feels pretty normal.
The following 2 users Like isbelldl's post:
  • Alan V, Aroura

Just found out: my son's senior college recital is canceled.  (Or postponed until fall...he has the option to do that, even post graduation) The students are probably not going to go back to school, just finish the semester remotely.  At some point, they will need to be admitted to clean out their stuff from their dorms.  

I can't imagine the school will risk a graduation ceremony.   Husband and I are quite unhappy that we won't get to see him achieve this milestone.  Plenty of company in that, I know...somehow the idea of millions of parents feeling similar pain hasn't lessened the sting of it.  

No word on whether we get any of the $15,000 we spent on room and board for this semester refunded.  I suspect not.   Sad
god, ugh
The following 2 users Like julep's post:
  • Alan V, Aroura

(03-17-2020, 01:47 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: LA Fitness gym has closed it's doors for the next two weeks so there goes my thrice weekly yoga classes. My ballet class was also canceled for possibly three weeks so my best bet is to go on long walks in the fresh air or clean up our garden which is always torn up by the winter rain and wind.  I'll do yoga at home and take an online ballet class.  Not gonna let this thing get me down, goddammit! 

Pro tip from the Internet -- check your local Staples for TP. Not the first (or even the last) source that many think of, so they may have some. My local Staples did not. Of course any office supply store's "break room" section is a possibility.
The following 3 users Like mordant's post:
  • Aroura, Dancefortwo, Unsapien